PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Release Prater? WTF?`

Pages : [1] 2 3

Zweems56
10-03-2014, 12:47 PM
Per Schefter. Source in a sec

Broncos releasing K Matt Prater, who's coming off 4-game suspension, per source. Brandon McManus wins Denver kicking job.

Matt Prater will count $4.1 million against Denver's cap next season. Prater was scheduled to make $2.5 million this year.

Buff
10-03-2014, 12:50 PM
Guess we didn't want to shell out $4.1 mil to a problem drinker.

Also surprising because now we give up a draft pick to the NYG.

Zweems56
10-03-2014, 12:53 PM

Certainly strange to see the team stand behind him... work on being a better person.... blah blah blah.... then cut him. I understand not wanting to pay the 4.1 mil, but that's 4.1 mil of cap space eaten by nothing now, in a year where we're going to have to shell out big money to some stars.

Buff
10-03-2014, 12:54 PM
Certainly strange to see the team stand behind him... work on being a better person.... blah blah blah.... then cut him. I understand not wanting to pay the 4.1 mil, but that's 4.1 mil of cap space eaten by nothing now, in a year where we're going to have to shell out big money to some stars.

Which is why it only makes sense that they feel like he has issues. They wouldn't cut a Pro Bowl kicker and eat that dead cap space AND give up a draft pick unless his issues ran pretty deep IMO.

MasterShake
10-03-2014, 01:00 PM
Wow. Just last year he set a record, too. Wonder how long until the real story comes out.

smith49
10-03-2014, 01:00 PM
Which is why it only makes sense that they feel like he has issues. They wouldn't cut him and eat that dead cap space unless it ran pretty deep IMO.

That is kinda what I was thinkin Buff, and if that is the case I can't say I disagree with the decision. Plus, remember what happened last time Peyton played with a drunk kicker.......???

Buff
10-03-2014, 01:02 PM
Wow. Just last year he set a record, too. Wonder how long until the real story comes out.

I think we know the real story. The guy is an alcoholic - in order to fail random alcohol tests you have to be a problem drinker of the highest magnitude.

GEM
10-03-2014, 01:03 PM
Oh wow! Completely surprised by this. He must have a bad issue with the alcohol that the Broncos don't feel he is dealing with.

Next suspension is a year, so maybe they don't feel he's in a good place in recovery to trust him.

Slick
10-03-2014, 01:08 PM
Elway sends a message. Guys, we don't have time for this shit, we're trying to win a title.

jhildebrand
10-03-2014, 01:09 PM

I think we know the real story. The guy is an alcoholic - in order to fail random alcohol tests you have to be a problem drinker of the highest magnitude.

With that logic I would guess Von is next :noidea:

weazel
10-03-2014, 01:09 PM
theres gotta be more to the story... he did something that they want to distance themselves from because that's a big cap hit for a kicker you wont have

slim
10-03-2014, 01:14 PM
I'm not really that surprised after everything that happened last year and during the offseason. My understanding is Elway told everyone in the org they were on a short leash going forward. I guess he meant it.

Buff
10-03-2014, 01:15 PM
theres gotta be more to the story... he did something that they want to distance themselves from because that's a big cap hit for a kicker you wont have

I think he probably screwed up again somehow since his suspension. Like - they gave him an ultimatum to clean up, and he didn't adhere to that somehow. Wouldn't surprise me if we hear about him getting a DUI this week or something.

GEM
10-03-2014, 01:15 PM
Maybe another positive test during suspension?

VonDoom
10-03-2014, 01:18 PM

I looked him up on OvertheCap.com - if I'm reading it correctly, we're saving $3.25 million on next year's cap by cutting him now (I assume the $812,500 in prorated bonus gets accelerated to this year's cap figure). I'm sure there's more to the story, but I don't think we're eating big money by cutting him.

http://overthecap.com/player/matt-prater/32

Edit: confirmed by Legwold on Twitter:

Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 1m1 minute ago

Prater's release saves #Broncos $3.25 million off '15 salary cap -- Prater had one year left on deal will be $812,500 dead money next year.

smith49
10-03-2014, 01:18 PM

That's a good point. However, when it comes to an all world ( possibly ) player and a kicker ( as good as he's been ) I think you are way more apt to deal with the first and say bye bye to the latter. Even if there is some hipocrycy (sp?) involved.

Timmy!
10-03-2014, 01:20 PM
I'm no cap expert, but its hard to imagine he counts 4.1 on next years cap.

blamkin86
10-03-2014, 01:22 PM

I think you should wait to hear what Prater did. I seriously doubt (not that what I think matters) they'd go this far with Prater then cut him "just because." I believe he did something that ended up being the last straw, but again I have no idea.

You also have to understand the NFL's public image (not to football fanatics) is really taking a beating right now. So, part of it is the climate.

VonDoom
10-03-2014, 01:23 PM
I'm no cap expert, but its hard to imagine he counts 4.1 on next years cap.

I just posted this but in case it got overlooked:

Prater's release saves #Broncos $3.25 million off '15 salary cap -- Prater had one year left on deal will be $812,500 dead money next year.

Slick
10-03-2014, 01:25 PM

Except Von is like 1, 000 times more important to this team than a kicker. All Denver needs is a guy who can convert extra points and kick touchbacks.

Timmy!
10-03-2014, 01:30 PM
I just posted this but in case it got overlooked:

Yup. This move makes way more sense now. Guess they like the rookie enough/don't trust prater enough. That 3 mil will help with all the guys we want to keep in Denver.

Zweems56
10-03-2014, 01:33 PM
Yup. This move makes way more sense now. Guess they like the rookie enough/don't trust prater enough. That 3 mil will help with all the guys we want to keep in Denver.

That certainly makes more sense than what Schefter posted, but Schefter's exact quote was "will count $4.1 million against Denver's cap next season." I don't know man. I'll wait a little longer to hear the final numbers for sure.

Timmy!
10-03-2014, 01:37 PM
That certainly makes more sense than what Schefter posted, but Schefter's exact quote was "will count $4.1 million against Denver's cap next season." I don't know man. I'll wait a little longer to hear the final numbers for sure.

Schefter worded it wrong. If on the team, Prater would have been due 4.1 mil next season.

Ziggy
10-03-2014, 01:38 PM
That's 3 million towards re-signing DT, JT, Pot Roast, Chris Harris, Orlando Franklin, etc. etc. Prater was one drink away from a one year suspension. What happens if he decides to have that beer the week before the playoffs? Not worth the risk for the price. As far as the draft pick goes, it's a 7th rounder for a starting kicker. Good investment. The kid kicks it into the stands half of the time on kickoffs. The field goal consistency should come with practice and experience. We'll have at least one 7th round comp pick coming anyways. I like the move, although I think there will be a few uprisings in here while McManus takes his lumps getting more consistent on field goals.

Timmy!
10-03-2014, 01:42 PM
Subtle irony of the day:
Broncos release kicker for drinking problem. Replacement is named McManus......

Denver Native (Carol)
10-03-2014, 01:43 PM
Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 12m

RT @Robbyboberts: Vic, if Prater had another slip (being in the NFL substance program) how long would he be suspended for?--- full season

Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 14m

RT @agilson78: What a stupid decision. ---->>not sure if I'd call it stupid. What if the Broncos know something we don't?

Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 16m

RT @SirMaconBacon: why? Prater was a weapon. ----> a kicker's leash always shorter than an every-down player.

VicLombardi

RT @spotrac: At $3M, Matt Prater was the 2nd highest paid 2014 kicker in the NFL. He earned $10M in 7 seasons w/ the #Broncos http://t.co/bAd1GM1xnP

Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 35m

The message here seems clear: Can't be getting suspended as one of the highest-paid kickers in the game.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-03-2014, 01:45 PM
Andrew Mason @MaseDenver · 41m

Fox: "You take a leap of faith in a lot of personnel decisions."

Andrew Mason @MaseDenver · 44m

John Fox confirms the release of K Matt Prater. "Any time you make football decisions ... it's always difficult."

VonDoom
10-03-2014, 01:46 PM

Yeah, I wish we had seen more from McManus in terms of pressure kicks (couldn't they have waited until after this game to release Prater?) but I think they felt Prater was a risk and it saves us some money, so I guess they figured it was worth a shot.

Slick
10-03-2014, 01:53 PM
I looked him up on OvertheCap.com - if I'm reading it correctly, we're saving $3.25 million on next year's cap by cutting him now (I assume the $812,500 in prorated bonus gets accelerated to this year's cap figure). I'm sure there's more to the story, but I don't think we're eating big money by cutting him.

http://overthecap.com/player/matt-prater/32

Edit: confirmed by Legwold on Twitter:

Thanks for linking that site. Colquitt is way overpaid too. Holy crap! I read somewhere that McManus had like a 45 yard average punting at Temple.

broncofaninfla
10-03-2014, 01:53 PM
I'm surprised by the timing. Makes me wonder if Prater didn't do something stupid again? McManus kinda scares me but in Elway I trust.

OrangeFanatic
10-03-2014, 02:02 PM
Hopefully we can go to the SB again and have choke artist PFM lose it for us again. Cut all the talent and maybe it will happen!

slim
10-03-2014, 02:03 PM
lol

Slick
10-03-2014, 02:06 PM
Hopefully we can go to the SB again and have choke artist PFM lose it for us again. Cut all the talent and maybe it will happen!

Yeah! What this guy said!

Timmy!
10-03-2014, 02:07 PM

Seems legit.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-03-2014, 02:09 PM
Denver Broncos ✔ @Broncos

"Brandon McManus has earned the opportunity to continue kicking for our team … .” Broncos EVP/GM John Elway
12:05 PM - 3 Oct 2014

"Parting ways with Matt Prater -- the longest-tenured player on our roster -- was a very difficult football decision," Broncos executive vice president/general manager John Elway said on the team's website. "On behalf of our entire organization, I want to thank Matt for his seven seasons with the Broncos and wish him well going forward."

full article - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11634396/denver-broncos-release-kicker-matt-prater

OrangeFanatic
10-03-2014, 02:10 PM

I'm glad people are on board. Maybe we can have chokie McChokerson Welker catch a TD pass to win the game!

Denver Native (Carol)
10-03-2014, 02:10 PM

:tsk::tsk::tsk:

Timmy!
10-03-2014, 02:11 PM
I'm glad people are on board. Maybe we can have chokie McChokerson Welker catch a TD pass to win the game!

Yeah! That would be awesome!

Slick
10-03-2014, 02:12 PM

I know right? Welker is garbage. Cut him!

OrangeFanatic
10-03-2014, 02:13 PM
I know right? Welker is garbage. Cut him!

Choker to Choker pass, will win the game for sure!

Timmy!
10-03-2014, 02:16 PM

OMG yes! Then we can cut them both and resign Tebow!!!

VonDoom
10-03-2014, 02:16 PM

I get the sense that this guy isn't as much of an "orange fanatic" as he claims to be ...

Denver Native (Carol)
10-03-2014, 02:17 PM
from article:

Denver decided to go with Brandon McManus, who has made all of his field goals and fared well on kickoffs in the first three games. Common sense tells us they didn't want to risk losing McManus only to be left hanging if Prater ran afoul of the substance abuse policy again.

full article - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000404732/article/matt-prater-released-by-denver-broncos

Slick
OMG yes! Then we can cut them both and resign Tebow!!!

And Prater!

VonDoom
Thanks for linking that site. Colquitt is way overpaid too. Holy crap! I read somewhere that McManus had like a 45 yard average punting at Temple.

I know, I said at the time that we signed McManus that we might as well cut Colquitt too, and have this guy both kick and punt. Why not? :D

OrangeFanatic
10-03-2014, 02:18 PM
I get the sense that this guy isn't as much of an "orange fanatic" as he claims to be ...

Orange fanatic is completely different than BLIND FANATIC.

GEM
10-03-2014, 02:19 PM

And we would have been much better off with Orton staying on or some other dillweed. Without PFM, we wouldn't even have made it to the SB, but good lookin out. :laugh:

Timmy!
10-03-2014, 02:20 PM
And Prater!

Somebody get Lelie, Stokely, Tatum Bell, and Kevin Kasper on the phone!

Edmonton Bronco Fan
10-03-2014, 02:22 PM
To say this news shocked me is an understatement. Quite the about face... obviously this is not solely a football decision. Damn... one of the most reliable kickers in league history. Problems aside, gonna miss him.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-03-2014, 02:22 PM
Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 3m 3 minutes ago

RT @hatfieldcb: They couldn't trade Prater somehow? ---- nobody trading for a 4-mil/yr kicker coming off suspension.

VonDoom
10-03-2014, 02:26 PM
Just saw these:

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 37m37 minutes ago

#Broncos won't have to pay Prater $2.2 million remaining on salary this year. Prater will count $812,500 in dead money to 2015 salary cap.

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 32m32 minutes ago

Prater was the longest-tenured Bronco, by the way, after Champ's release and Kuper's retirement. Now it's Ryan Clady, 2008 draft.

slim
10-03-2014, 02:28 PM
Orange fanatic is completely different than BLIND FANATIC.

Something tells me they both enjoy a good cockmeat sandwich!

BORDERLINE
10-03-2014, 02:29 PM
Holy moley I'm shocked!!!! We are going to miss him in long clutch kicks

Bronco9798
10-03-2014, 02:30 PM
Little shocked. He's on my fantasy football team on the suspended list. Guess, I'll cut him too!!!

blamkin86
10-03-2014, 02:31 PM
Somebody get Lelie, Stokely, Tatum Bell, and Kevin Kasper on the phone!

How could you forget Perish Cox????

chazoe60
10-03-2014, 02:31 PM
Are you ******* retarded?

Northman
10-03-2014, 02:36 PM
Elway sends a message. Guys, we don't have time for this shit, we're trying to win a title.

I have zero problem with his philosophy.

PatriotsGuy
10-03-2014, 02:37 PM

He seems legit :coffee:

Northman
10-03-2014, 02:41 PM

Whats up Joel.

Northman
10-03-2014, 02:42 PM

Its a goddamn bunch of chokaholics i tell ya!

OrangeFanatic
10-03-2014, 02:43 PM

You seem mad bro.

If you face the facts, we will once again be let down due to PFM choking. Sorry you hate the truth.

OrangeFanatic
10-03-2014, 02:45 PM
Whats up Joel.

Did you guys drive him off? Even though I wanted to punch him in the face sometimes, he equally made sense as many times.

TXBRONC
10-03-2014, 02:46 PM
I think he probably screwed up again somehow since his suspension. Like - they gave him an ultimatum to clean up, and he didn't adhere to that somehow. Wouldn't surprise me if we hear about him getting a DUI this week or something.

I wouldn't think so I bet it's because McManus is kicking so well.

Zweems56
10-03-2014, 02:47 PM
Did you guys drive him off? Even though I wanted to punch him in the face sometimes, he equally made sense as many times.

Sooo... You are Joel then?

Buff
10-03-2014, 02:47 PM
I wouldn't think so I bet it's because McManus is kicking so well.

He hasn't kicked SO well that you cut your Pro Bowl kicker and give up a 7th round pick in doing so... Definitely more to the story than on-field performance.

Northman
10-03-2014, 02:50 PM

Dont look at me. I welcome his takes even though i wont read all the way through the novels.

silkamilkamonico
Football decision.

McManus has been good.

Later Prater.

BroncoJoe
He hasn't kicked SO well that you cut your Pro Bowl kicker and give up a 7th round pick in doing so... Definitely more to the story than on-field performance.

To be fair, a 7th round is nothing really.

It's about the $$, and possibly something else. I'd think we would have heard if something else had happened during his probation.

Northman
10-03-2014, 02:51 PM

He banged Fox's wife.

BroncoJoe
10-03-2014, 02:51 PM

We can only wish...

TXBRONC
10-03-2014, 02:52 PM
Denver Broncos ✔ @Broncos

full article - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11634396/denver-broncos-release-kicker-matt-prater

So the reason is twofold. One, they save some money and two, McManus has been kicking so well that they decided to give him the job.

Bronco9798
10-03-2014, 02:55 PM
So the reason is twofold. One, they save some money and two, McManus has been kicking so well that they decided to give him the job.

He hasn't missed an extra point yet.

OrangeFanatic
10-03-2014, 02:55 PM
Dont look at me. I welcome his takes even though i wont read all the way through the novels.

I don't think anyone ever read them completely. But I liked them for the pure fact that he always wen't against the grain, or at least stood up for what he believed in. Go Rams, Go Broncos!

TXBRONC
10-03-2014, 02:58 PM

I don't think he's missed an attempt so far this season.

slim
10-03-2014, 02:59 PM
I don't think he's missed an attempt so far this season.

He hasn't had that many opportunities, though.

TXBRONC
10-03-2014, 02:59 PM
He hasn't missed an extra pick yet.

He hasn't missed a field goal attempt yet either iirc.

slim
10-03-2014, 03:01 PM
LOL, he is 3-3 with a long FG of 24 yards.

slim
10-03-2014, 03:02 PM
You guys crack me up.

slim
10-03-2014, 03:04 PM
That 24 yard FG was so awesome they decided to let Prater go.

Dzone
10-03-2014, 03:09 PM
That was the best 24 yard field goal I ever saw

Slick
10-03-2014, 03:11 PM
You guys crack me up.

Explain yourself slim. You're not happy with this?

Krugan
10-03-2014, 03:11 PM
Im only slightly leaning to the side of this being a bad move, and that is solely that this team has sold out to win THIS year.

Other than that, his salary is frigging huge for someone who cant control themselves enough to not get popped for drinking...

Hope the 3 mil next year helps us keep some of these core players in Denver.

weazel
10-03-2014, 03:12 PM
sounds like a good business decision... until we lose the Superbowl on a bad kick to end the game! I'm joking, kind of.

slim
10-03-2014, 03:12 PM
Explain yourself slim. You're not happy with this?

I don't really care. Elway has earned the benefit of the doubt, IMO.

I am just laughing at the people who say this was a football decision.

Dzone
10-03-2014, 03:13 PM
He banged Fox's wife.
Same thing happened to Hillis after banging Mcdaniels wife...screwing the coaches wife will get you cut everytime. Stupid prater, no self control

slim

The 20 yarder he had wasn't bad either! The dude is clearly better than Prater.

Northman
I watched a replay of The Drive last night. I miss Karlis and his twinkle toes.

Slick
10-03-2014, 03:17 PM

Wasn't it though? They're trying to win the Superbowl. They don't feel like they can risk the opportunity the team has on a kicker who has an obvious alcohol problem. What if he decides to have a slip up in week 15? Then you're scrambling, looking for a kicker a week or two before the playoffs.

I Eat Staples
10-03-2014, 03:19 PM
Absolutely ******* ridiculous.

Cut a guy who's clutch, set an NFL record, and only missed one kick all last year to keep a kid whose NFL long is 24 yards. I'm sure the money we save will be worth it when we sign some replacement level reserve lineman who won't even see the field.

And what problem did Prater have? He drank a beer in the offseason, so what? The NFL's rules are the problem, not Prater.

slim
10-03-2014, 03:21 PM
Wasn't it though? They're trying to win the Superbowl. They don't feel like they can risk the opportunity the team has on a kicker who has an obvious alcohol problem. What if he decides to have a slip up in week 15? Then you're scrambling, looking for a kicker a week or two before the playoffs.

Yes, I think this is correct.

I was referencing those that have implied that McManus has outperformed Prater, such that the decision was based on on-field results. Which is clearly not the case.

Krugan
10-03-2014, 03:23 PM
You know a drink is a drink, until you get a DUI then enter a program that says you cant do that shit anymore.

That was Praters issue, all on him for not valuing his lively hood over a beer.

blamkin86
10-03-2014, 03:23 PM
And what problem did Prater have? He drank a beer in the offseason, so what? The NFL's rules are the problem, not Prater.

Revisionist history. Prater knew the terms of his probation (drink and get suspended), and did it anyway. It certainly wasn't anything anyone did to Prater.

Imagine all the NFL players and all the beers they had in the offseason. None of them got suspended... except this knucklehead who agreed HIMSELF not to drink.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-03-2014, 03:25 PM
I don't know if we need to read into it or not. It might be Fox and Elway just like the new guy better. He has a much stronger leg. He was kicking them out of the back of the end zone at sea level in Seattle, and in Denver he was putting them in the stands. There were times in the last couple of years where it looked to me like Prater's leg wasn't what it use to be. I don't know if he had a dead leg or what.

I Eat Staples
10-03-2014, 03:27 PM
Revisionist history. Prater knew the terms of his probation (drink and get suspended), and did it anyway. It certainly wasn't anything anyone did to Prater.

I don't agree with those terms. I know the rules, I just think they're awful. The NFL as a whole is awful, and people should be trying to change their restrictive, unfair rules and policies instead of saying "aw shucks, a rule is a rule!"

You're telling me because he had a DUI 3 years ago he can never drink again? That's bullshit. No one should be okay with that.

BroncoWave
10-03-2014, 03:28 PM
I think we should cut Colquitt while we're at it and let McManus do both.

Joel
10-03-2014, 03:28 PM
Why not going INTO the bye instead of coming OUT of it and just 2 days before our next game? The big reason I liked this early bye despite usually hating them is because we had so many distractions and stumbles coming into the season (and Praters suspension was certainly among them) that this gave us a chance to get our heads straight, put it all behind us and move on with our eyes on the prize. Now it feels like we're stumbling out of the bye the same way we stumbled into it.

BroncoWave
10-03-2014, 03:29 PM

I don't agree with those terms. I know the rules, I just think they're awful. The NFL as a whole is awful, and people should be trying to change their restrictive, unfair rules and policies instead of saying "aw shucks, a rule is a rule!"

You're telling me because he had a DUI 3 years ago he can never drink again? That's bullshit. No one should be okay with that.

Not liking the rules is a poor excuse for not following them.

BroncoNut
10-03-2014, 03:30 PM

can't wait for the league to start awarding style points.

Northman
10-03-2014, 03:33 PM

Its a catch 22 though.

When it comes to substance abuse and now with the spotlight on DV and possible child abuse people were saying the NFL wasnt doing enough to help the players. If Prater had a problem than he needs to get the help necessary to better himself. You are talking strictly from a fan perspective but there is much more to life than the game. This isnt about just having a beer, this is about a guy who has a serious drinking problem and if not corrected he could kill not only himself but someone else. DUI's are no laughing matter especially if you cant control your drinking.

I Eat Staples
10-03-2014, 03:34 PM
Not liking the rules is a poor excuse for not following them.

Positive change would never happen if everyone had that attitude. If players, coaches and organizations actually chose to stand up against the ridiculous NFL rules then you wouldn't have atrocities like Gordon getting suspended for the season for doing something completely harmless like smoking marijuana.

Slick
10-03-2014, 03:34 PM

http://drunk-driving-accident.usattorneys.com/broncos-kicker-matt-prater-earns-suspension-for-dui-rap/

He's had 2 DUIs as a member of the Broncos.

Northman
10-03-2014, 03:35 PM
Why not going INTO the bye instead of coming OUT of it and just 2 days before our next game? The big reason I liked this early bye despite usually hating them is because we had so many distractions and stumbles coming into the season (and Praters suspension was certainly among them) that this gave us a chance to get our heads straight, put it all behind us and move on with our eyes on the prize. Now it feels like we're stumbling out of the bye the same way we stumbled into it.

I dont think its a distraction. I doubt Prater would of been suiting up for Sunday as it is.

blamkin86

And it's obvious you either don't know or don't care- that was his second DUI.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/08/24/report-broncos-k-matt-prater-faces-4-game-ban/14523505/

Do you know anything about this story?

BroncoJoe
Yes, I think this is correct.

I was referencing those that have implied that McManus has outperformed Prater, such that the decision was based on on-field results. Which is clearly not the case.

No, you're just being a douchenugget.

I Eat Staples
10-03-2014, 03:38 PM
Its a catch 22 though.

When it comes to substance abuse and now with the spotlight on DV and possible child abuse people were saying the NFL wasnt doing enough to help the players. If Prater had a problem than he needs to get the help necessary to better himself. You are talking strictly from a fan perspective but there is much more to life than the game. This isnt about just having a beer, this is about a guy who has a serious drinking problem and if not corrected he could kill not only himself but someone else. DUI's are no laughing matter especially if you cant control your drinking.

I agree with you to a certain extent, but I think the way the NFL hands out lengthy suspensions for drug and alcohol violations and gave a slap on the wrist for domestic violence (prior to public outcry) proves my point about how messed up their policies are.

DUIs are certainly a serious issue and I have no problem suspending players for them, but Prater only had one back in 2011 right? I don't see how his drinking is a problem if he did it in his own home or on vacation.

slim
10-03-2014, 03:38 PM
No, you're just being a douchenugget.

His 21 yarder against the Colts on opening night really showed me something. It was straight and true, Joe. It brought a tear to my eye.

I Eat Staples
10-03-2014, 03:40 PM

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/08/24/report-broncos-k-matt-prater-faces-4-game-ban/14523505/

Okay, my mistake, it was his 2nd DUI. I wasn't aware of the one in 2008.

But taking a quote directly from the article:

"Steinberg said Prater tested positive for alcohol this summer after drinking beer at his home, while on vacation."

If he's in his own home, not driving, not even out in public, I don't see what the problem is.

Joel
10-03-2014, 03:41 PM
I dont think its a distraction. I doubt Prater would of been suiting up for Sunday as it is.
Guy set TWO records last year and has been on the team longer than anyone: Cutting him two days before the next kickoff (instead of, say, ten) is a distraction. Maybe not a huge one, but we've had plenty as it is, are still pursuing our first SB since '98 and the competition's gotten MUCH tougher since 2012, while most of the roster's just gotten older and closer to their next contract.

I'm not (necessarily) saying it was a bad move, I just don't understand why it wasn't done last week if such a GOOD one. Remember, I wanted to replace him with Kickalicious—but not 48 hrs before kickoff!

Krugan
10-03-2014, 03:45 PM
Positive change would never happen if everyone had that attitude. If players, coaches and organizations actually chose to stand up against the ridiculous NFL rules then you wouldn't have atrocities like Gordon getting suspended for the season for doing something completely harmless like smoking marijuana.

Its not harmless according to his employer.

Whether the personal opinion of the rule is agreed to or not, the rule is in place, and guess whomever gets to be in that elite group, should follow the rule.

opinions are just opinions, guidelines are guidelines, rules are rules

Joel
10-03-2014, 03:46 PM

"Steinberg said Prater tested positive for alcohol this summer after drinking beer at his home, while on vacation."

If he's in his own home, not driving, not even out in public, I don't see what the problem is.
The problem is he promised the league he wouldn't do it, even on his couch in the offseason, because of his two DUIs—then did it ANYWAY. The cap hit sucks (and let's stop pretending accelerating next years signing bonus to join this years is a GOOD thing; it's good for 2015, but doubly bad for 2014) but I understand the decision: Just not the timing.

blamkin86
10-03-2014, 03:47 PM

Yeah, for a normal person, what's the big deal. I agree with you there - but for TWO convicted DUIs, the standard has got to be different.

Another way to look at it - if I got a DUI, I'm certain I'd be fired here, with no chance of being rehired.

So, really, Prater had not one but two chances with the same place. He had his chance; he didn't take it seriously.

Honestly, I know the NFL's rules don't make a lot of sense, but this one makes perfect sense to me.

BroncoJoe
10-03-2014, 03:47 PM

He's free to seek employment elsewhere, and no one is forcing you to watch the NFL.

VonDoom
10-03-2014, 03:48 PM
Guy set TWO records last year and has been on the team longer than anyone: Cutting him two days before the next kickoff (instead of, say, ten) is a distraction. Maybe not a huge one, but we've had plenty as it is, are still pursuing our first SB since '98 and the competition's gotten MUCH tougher since 2012, while most of the roster's just gotten older and closer to their next contract.

I'm not (necessarily) saying it was a bad move, I just don't understand why it wasn't done last week if such a GOOD one. Remember, I wanted to replace him with Kickalicious—but not 48 hrs before kickoff!

I'm not at all worried about a "distraction", but I agree that the timing was odd. Prater wasn't eligible to play in this game anyway, so shouldn't we have waited until after this game to decide his fate? We were only going to have four games to decide on McManus anyway, and we only used three of them.

Northman
10-03-2014, 03:49 PM

To be honest Joel up until today i really havent thought about him. lol

I like Prater, like what he did here but ive learned over the years that players are replaceble. Will McManus be as good? Who knows, probably doubtful but the only thing im concerned about Sunday is beating the Cardinals. So far in this season, kicking hasnt been the issue so until it becomes a problem next man up for me. Im really not even sure what distraction you are referring too right now. We are 2-1, we lost a close game to the Super Bowl Champions and now we play the Cardinals. I guess i dont see the distraction that you speak of. Maybe im not paying enough attention to sportscenter or Espn but i havent heard anything that would be deemed a distraction for this team. We are coming off a bye and have a chance to be 3-1, thats it as far as i can see. What distraction are you speaking of that is creating massive media attention?

Denver Native (Carol)
10-03-2014, 03:51 PM

Andrew Mason @MaseDenver · 2h

The salary cap & player value is part of football RT @ScheckTwit: (2/2) anyone that believes Prater's release is a "football" move is naive.

I Eat Staples
10-03-2014, 03:52 PM
Yeah, for a normal person, what's the big deal. I agree with you there - but for TWO convicted DUIs, the standard has got to be different.

Another way to look at it - if I got a DUI, I'm certain I'd be fired here, with no chance of being rehired.

So, really, Prater had not one but two chances with the same place. He had his chance; he didn't take it seriously.

Honestly, I know the NFL's rules don't make a lot of sense, but this one makes perfect sense to me.

I understand what you're saying, but I think it would have made more sense had they released him back when the DUI happened (I know the NFL couldn't have suspended him because of the lockout).

Regardless of the rules debate, I still don't agree with releasing him now, unless the NFL is about to announce that he's going to be suspended again. Cutting one of the best and most reliable kickers in the NFL and keeping a guy with a 24 yard career long is not worth saving a few million dollars.

Slick
10-03-2014, 03:54 PM
I don't see the Denver Broncos hopes for the season coming down to a kicker. If Tim Tebow were the QB I might be a little more worried but fortunately that is not the case. It certainly could happen but I think the chances are minimal.

weazel
10-03-2014, 03:55 PM
LMAO there is a lot of craziness in here over a kicker! Guys were talking about a kicker lol I can just imagine Manning's face if he was reading this thread, priceless!

http://cover32.com/broncos/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2013/10/9pnibo.jpg

blamkin86
10-03-2014, 03:56 PM
Regardless of the rules debate, I still don't agree with releasing him now, unless the NFL is about to announce that he's going to be suspended again.

Yeah, the timing is bizarre. The only reasons I can see are:

1) Check out the new kicker first, if he's cool, dump Prater (jury's still out, IMHO)
2) The "other shoe" is about to drop (another DUI or failed test)
3) Keep another team in our division from picking him up.

But who knows- I bet we hear something in the next week.

blamkin86
10-03-2014, 03:56 PM
LMAO there is a lot of craziness in here over a kicker! Guys were talking about a kicker lol I can just imagine Manning's face if he was reading this thread, priceless!

Eh, he was the best kicker in the league, no?

Denver Native (Carol)
10-03-2014, 03:57 PM
Prater’s suspension was due to expire after the Broncos’ game against the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday (2 p.m. on FOX31 Denver).

http://kdvr.com/2014/10/03/report-broncos-to-release-matt-prater-keep-brandon-mcmanus-as-kicker/

"I'm a little surprised," Prater said from Florida. "The Broncos look like they're going to do some great things this year. It's too bad I won't be a part of it. I'm just going to concentrate on keeping myself in shape and hopefully I'll be kicking for someone this year."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_26657476/matt-prater-released-by-broncos-brandon-mcmanus-wins-kicking-job

Seems a little strange to me that he was even in Florida, much less, still there on Friday, when his suspension would be over at around 6:00 PM, or so, on Sunday

weazel
10-03-2014, 03:59 PM
http://kdvr.com/2014/10/03/report-broncos-to-release-matt-prater-keep-brandon-mcmanus-as-kicker/

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_26657476/matt-prater-released-by-broncos-brandon-mcmanus-wins-kicking-job

Seems a little strange to me that he was even in Florida, much less, still there on Friday, when his suspension would be over at around 6:00 PM, or so, on Sunday

he's suspended, he cant be at team headquarters or train with them... no need for him to be in Denver

Joel
10-03-2014, 04:20 PM
To be honest Joel up until today i really havent thought about him. lol

I like Prater, like what he did here but ive learned over the years that players are replaceble. Will McManus be as good? Who knows, probably doubtful but the only thing im concerned about Sunday is beating the Cardinals. So far in this season, kicking hasnt been the issue so until it becomes a problem next man up for me. Im really not even sure what distraction you are referring too right now. We are 2-1, we lost a close game to the Super Bowl Champions and now we play the Cardinals. I guess i dont see the distraction that you speak of. Maybe im not paying enough attention to sportscenter or Espn but i havent heard anything that would be deemed a distraction for this team. We are coming off a bye and have a chance to be 3-1, thats it as far as i can see. What distraction are you speaking of that is creating massive media attention?
Check my "Thank God It's Byeday" thread; Prater's on the long list of crap I hoped would be permanently in our rearview after the bye. Right now, the whole NFL looks like a frat house—and not Phi Beta Kappa; one of the ones kicked off campus when cops found a coked up hooker floating face down in their pool. Prater's sadly part of that, if a (comparatively) minor part.

In that sense, I won't miss him, but still wish we'd done this a week ago so we wouldn't have an 8 page thread on it 2 days before our next game; I'd rather spend the bye weekend talking about it. If FANS and MEDIA are spending this much time on it, how attention do you think it's getting from the other 52 Broncos? Y'know, the guys who've spent every practice of their Denver careers with a dude who's been here longer than any of them? I'm glad you're exclusively focussed o Arizona right now; I just hope the team is, too, but the timing of this can only make that less rather than more likely.

olathebroncofan
10-03-2014, 04:24 PM

Rules are rules. You may not like them, or agree with them, but you have to abide by them. I think someone said earlier that it was praters fault fir putting a beer in front of his career.

I get that alcoholism is a disease and all. It doesn't make that the null and void though.

It is said that a natty lite might have derailed an "borderline, on paper" hall of fame career.

Maybe this will truly wake him up and he will land on a team later in the season.

aberdien
10-03-2014, 04:25 PM
Right now, the whole NFL looks like a frat house—and not Phi Beta Kappa;

What about Lambda Lambda Lambda?

Timmy!
10-03-2014, 04:29 PM
In that sense, I won't miss him, buY'know, the guys who've spent every practice of their Denver careers with a dude who's been here longer than any of them? I'm glad you're exclusively focussed o Arizona right now; I just hope the team is, too, but the timing of this can only make that less rather than more likely.

You do know Prater hasn't even been a part of the team this year right? He hasn't even been in the city of Denver, let alone in the team facilities, locker room, or practice field during his suspension. So it being a major distraction is a giant reach, at best. Sorry to rain on your constant doom and gloom agenda.

NightTerror218
10-03-2014, 04:31 PM
I wonder if prater was only so good due to altitude and McManus is just as good.

silkamilkamonico
10-03-2014, 04:36 PM
Good grief.

The guy is a kicker. Big deal.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-03-2014, 04:37 PM
he's suspended, he cant be at team headquarters or train with them... no need for him to be in Denver

The following is why I stated I found it strange that Prater was in Florida in the first place, and still there today, when his suspension would have been over around 6:00 pm Sunday, as I remembered him saying something about staying in Denver.

This is what he said right after his suspension:

"I'm definitely going to make some changes in my life,'' Prater said following Monday's practice. "Not drink at all or risk doing anything stupid like that. Keep myself out of certain situations like not go to places where people are drinking. Now I'm going to dedicate myself to working out and getting stronger in the time I have off. I'll come in here and be here five days a week hitting the weights and I'll have to kick at a high school field.''

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11408847/matt-prater-denver-broncos-apologizes-suspension

GEM
10-03-2014, 05:15 PM

Drink to your hearts content.Smoke as much as you want. Do whatever you want...no need for rules. :laugh:

weazel
10-03-2014, 05:17 PM
The following is why I stated I found it strange that Prater was in Florida in the first place, and still there today, when his suspension would have been over around 6:00 pm Sunday, as I remembered him saying something about staying in Denver.

This is what he said right after his suspension:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11408847/matt-prater-denver-broncos-apologizes-suspension

He is in a treatment center in Florida

Slick
10-03-2014, 05:20 PM
Good grief.

The guy is a kicker. Big deal.

He was the longest tenured Bronco. I can understand the emotional attachment.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-03-2014, 05:26 PM
He is in a treatment center in Florida

Yeah, I see where Spano just posted that at 3:39 pm today.

Dapper Dan
10-03-2014, 06:07 PM
That sucks. I kinda liked him.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-03-2014, 06:09 PM
In some ways I'm glad because I was gonna miss the current kicker"s booming kicks. Prater doesn't have the leg the new guy does.

tomjonesrocks
10-03-2014, 06:40 PM
Really risky move for a team with SB aspirations.

I really haven't heard a suitable explanation for this yet. What if the guy can't kick in cold or high pressure situations?

Dean
10-03-2014, 06:49 PM
You do realize that Prater has the NFL record for the longest field goal. Right? A 64 yard field goal is a lot of leg.

In some ways I'm glad because I was gonna miss the current kicker"s booming kicks. Prater doesn't have the leg the new guy does.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-03-2014, 06:55 PM
Really risky move for a team with SB aspirations.

I really haven't heard a suitable explanation for this yet. What if the guy can't kick in cold or high pressure situations?

Jeff Legwold stated a lot of reasons why on the following link, via phone. He also said that Prater will now be facing additional testing, and if he fails, it is a year's suspension. My thought - with Prater coming off the suspension right after this week's game, the Broncos were not going to keep both players. So, what if Prater tests positive in a few weeks, and someone else signs McManus. What do the Broncos do then?

Legwold talking about this - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11634396/denver-broncos-release-kicker-matt-prater

Denver Native (Carol)
10-03-2014, 07:00 PM
You do realize that Prater has the NFL record for the longest field goal. Right? A 64 yard field goal is a lot of leg.

"He's good," Colquitt said of McManus. "We've seen him in practice. I guess it got to the point where they've seen enough in the game and they've seen a lot in practice. He's real consistent and has a really strong leg."

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_26657476/matt-prater-released-by-broncos-brandon-mcmanus-wins-kicking-job

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-03-2014, 07:06 PM

Yes, I do realize that. I said somewhere else in this thread that there have been times in the last few years where it looks like Prater might have been suffering from a dead leg. I don't think Prater's kickoffs go as far, at least not in the last few years.

I also realize that 3 of the 4 longest FG's have all been at Mile High. Prater, Elam, and Janikowski all have FG's over 60 yards at Mile High. I really do believe McMannus has a stronger leg.

VonDoom
10-03-2014, 07:25 PM
It's All Over, Fatman had some interesting Tweets about Prater earlier:

IAOFM @IAOFM · 2h 2 hours ago

Funny how the people who hate the move forget Prater's flub vs Baltimore when talking about hypothetical big kicks #Broncos

McManus will probably miss big kicks too, but he'll cost fraction of Prater, allowing the #Broncos to sign/re-sign more important players

This one especially was eye-opening, and hard to believe:

Most importantly 29 of #Broncos 30 wins with PMFM have been by at least 7 points

Joel
10-03-2014, 07:59 PM
You do know Prater hasn't even been a part of the team this year right? He hasn't even been in the city of Denver, let alone in the team facilities, locker room, or practice field during his suspension. So it being a major distraction is a giant reach, at best. Sorry to rain on your constant doom and gloom agenda.
Right: The guy who's been on the team longer than ANYONE hasn't even been ALLOWED near them ALL SEASON; nothing distracting about that....

Sorry to rain on those opaque-colored glasses; the good news is that can be as actively and doggedly (or dogmatically) unseen as all other problems. THE PROGRAM IS ROCK SOLID111

Joel
10-03-2014, 08:04 PM
Yeah, but all reports when we traded for him said McManus has accuracy issues, that he's "improved" since college to the point he now hits a little over 80%: Prater missed all of ONCE last year (including PATs) and it was from just under 50 yds. It's one of the reasons I wanted Kickalicious: Dude's got a massive leg, too, but NEVER MISSES. All that said,
Funny how the people who hate the move forget Prater's flub vs Baltimore when talking about hypothetical big kicks #Broncos
I remember that too well; it was also a long kick (50 yds) right before the half, but Prater didn't just miss it: He kicked the GROUND (hard) before momentum carried him into the ball, which naturally didn't even come close; Baltimore took over with good field position, executed the first of their end-of-half 2:00 Drill TD drives against are hapless Prevent, and instead of going to the locker room up 10, we went in TIED. Some may recall that game ended in DOT (thanks to their OTHER end-of-half Hail Mary TD) and Baltimore finished on top and in the SB even though we had the best chance since '98.

Dapper Dan
10-03-2014, 09:18 PM
I'm happy Prater brought the record back to the Broncos. Disgusting to think a Raider was the last to kick 63 yards. Prater's 64 made that irrelevant and I'm glad for that.

Magnificent Seven
10-03-2014, 09:22 PM
Let's move on. Welcome to the Broncos Country, McManus.

Magnificent Seven
10-03-2014, 09:23 PM
I'm happy Prater brought the record back to the Broncos. Disgusting to think a Raider was the last to kick 63 yards. Prater's 64 made that irrelevant and I'm glad for that.

I agree!

tomjonesrocks
10-03-2014, 09:35 PM
Just shocked by this but Elway has made so few missteps I'll assume there's a lot of reasoning behind this move.

Wow though. Elway's mis-scouting at the RB position proves he's human. I hope there isn't a big kick in inclement weather with Manning's legacy hanging in the balance in this kid's future...

Nomad
10-03-2014, 10:21 PM
Intervention!

Thanks for being a BRONCO.

Joel
10-03-2014, 10:56 PM
Just shocked by this but Elway has made so few missteps I'll assume there's a lot of reasoning behind this move.

Wow though. Elway's mis-scouting at the RB position proves he's human. I hope there isn't a big kick in inclement weather with Manning's legacy hanging in the balance in this kid's future...
I don't: I hope our offense scores so many and our defense allows so few points NOTHING McManus (nor any kicker) does has ANY bearing on the outcome or opportunity to play ANY game, even if he routinely misses PATs (which is highly doubtful; my wife can make PATs fairly consistently, and she'd never even seen a football before three years ago.)

All that said: If Knighton doesn't partially block Hauschkas FG two weeks ago, all the heroics at the end of regulation would've still left us a FG short of OT. Or if Prater doesn't kick the ground two years ago, we beat Baltimore in regulation despite everything else that went wrong in that game (and heaven knows there was plenty.)

Nail biters are for disinterested third parties more interested in entertainment than who wins; I want a nice boring blowout of whomever we play, every week, regular as clockwork. :)

Dapper Dan
10-03-2014, 11:08 PM
He has anus in his name..

Canmore
10-03-2014, 11:11 PM
I don't: I hope our offense scores so many and our defense allows so few points NOTHING McManus (nor any kicker) does has ANY bearing on the outcome or opportunity to play ANY game, even if he routinely misses PATs (which is highly doubtful; my wife can make PATs fairly consistently, and she'd never even seen a football before three years ago.)

All that said: If Knighton doesn't partially block Hauschkas FG two weeks ago, all the heroics at the end of regulation would've still left us a FG short of OT. Or if Prater doesn't kick the ground two years ago, we beat Baltimore in regulation despite everything else that went wrong in that game (and heaven knows there was plenty.)

Nail biters are for disinterested third parties more interested in entertainment than who wins; I want a nice boring blowout of whomever we play, every week, regular as clockwork. :)

Except for the Broncos games, I want to be entertained by an interesting game. No such luck this year.

Joel
10-04-2014, 12:39 AM
Except for the Broncos games, I want to be entertained by an interesting game. No such luck this year.
Last weeks Vikings and '9ers games were pretty entertaining, even if Minnesotas coach managed to bang Bridgewater around so badly they were never in Thursdays game because Ponder threw more GB TDs than Rodgers. I actually feel some obligation to the Vikings since I'm over here now though, so I couldn't fully relax for that one even if I did enjoy the score (if not the cost.) But I hate the Eagles AND '9ers so much my only regret was they didn't manage to finish even at the end of regulation so NOBODY won.

Canmore
10-04-2014, 12:52 AM
Last weeks Vikings and '9ers games were pretty entertaining, even if Minnesotas coach managed to bang Bridgewater around so badly they were never in Thursdays game because Ponder threw more GB TDs than Rodgers. I actually feel some obligation to the Vikings since I'm over here now though, so I couldn't fully relax for that one even if I did enjoy the score (if not the cost.) But I hate the Eagles AND '9ers so much my only regret was they didn't manage to finish even at the end of regulation so NOBODY won.

Most of the games I've watched have stunk, and I try to watch what I think is going to be a good game.

wayninja
10-04-2014, 01:22 AM
Wow, I can't believe I missed this until now. So many thoughts, have to put them down even if jumbled/nonsensical;

- Drinking isn't the problem, the subsequent driving is. Any debate over alcohol has to have this component in order to be sincere.

- The timing of this is so odd that it's easy to believe there is information we are not privy to.

- I'll miss you Prater. I have no idea how likeable you were in the locker room, or how morale will be hit, but you sure looked mostly clutch to me. You gave Denver a pretty sick record, so you will always be remembered for that (at least until it's broken). Good luck in free agency.

-McManus is still pretty much a question mark. I don't care how much they like him in practice, his pro in-game chops remain to be seen. It's a risky move, but somewhat mitigated by price and the fact that broncos have a pretty potent offense.

MOtorboat
10-04-2014, 03:00 AM
Wow, I can't believe I missed this until now. So many thoughts, have to put them down even if jumbled/nonsensical;

- Drinking isn't the problem, the subsequent driving is. Any debate over alcohol has to have this component in order to be sincere.

- The timing of this is so odd that it's easy to believe there is information we are not privy to.

- I'll miss you Prater. I have no idea how likeable you were in the locker room, or how morale will be hit, but you sure looked mostly clutch to me. You gave Denver a pretty sick record, so you will always be remembered for that (at least until it's broken). Good luck in free agency.

-McManus is still pretty much a question mark. I don't care how much they like him in practice, his pro in-game chops remain to be seen. It's a risky move, but somewhat mitigated by price and the fact that broncos have a pretty potent offense.

The timing isn't odd at all. The Broncos needed to make a decision before their fourth game about McManus vs. Prater. As of Monday (Oct. 6) Prater could return to the team, so they cut him Friday (today), confirmed the McManus transaction and moved on.

Canmore
10-04-2014, 03:03 AM

It isn't just drinking and driving that is the problem with Prater. Drinking itself is obviously a problem, or I don't think he would be in rehab.

ShaneFalco
10-04-2014, 05:51 AM
disappointed in the Broncos

sneakers
10-04-2014, 06:45 AM
Subtle irony of the day:
Broncos release kicker for drinking problem. Replacement is named McManus......

I don't get it

LawDog
10-04-2014, 08:32 AM
I don't get it

Irish name... Timmy was on a far reach with zero wind.

BroncoNut
10-04-2014, 09:06 AM

I was just thinking on that. the one in Denver last season.

Bronco9798
10-04-2014, 09:22 AM
Will be interesting to see when we are in a close game, possibly playoff, at the end and need a 59 yarder for the win. And he misses.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-04-2014, 10:46 AM
Prater's contract also impacted the decision. His cap figure was originally $3.107 million for this season, and the Broncos will save $2.294 million off the cap this year and $3.25 million off their 2015 salary cap, as well.

That's no small issue for a team facing plenty of decisions following this season, as wide receiver Demaryius Thomas, tight end Julius Thomas, wide receiver Wes Welker, defensive tackle Terrance Knighton, offensive lineman Orlando Franklin and safety Rahim Moore are among the players scheduled for free agency.

Northman
10-04-2014, 10:46 AM
Will be interesting to see when we are in a close game, possibly playoff, at the end and need a 59 yarder for the win. And he misses.

Could happen, but it also could of happened that we put Prater back in the starting lineup and he F's up again to the point he would be suspended for the rest of the season anyway. The risk factor was too high so Denver is going to roll the dice with McManus.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-04-2014, 10:54 AM
As far as the timing of this move goes, we've learned that Prater would have been owed termination pay if he was still on the roster as of Saturday, a note first reported by 104.3 FM The Fan in Denver and that we were able to confirm with a team source. While the exact financial ramifications are unknown (we don't think the Broncos would have owed him his full-salary, vested veteran guarantee), they were enough to cause the Broncos to pull the trigger now.

full article - http://www.milehighreport.com/2014/10/3/6905605/matt-prater-released-five-reasons-the-broncos-kicker-was-cut

Northman
10-04-2014, 10:54 AM

Well, with everything else aside. Its already a difficult task to make it back to the SB twice in a row so even if Prater would of been fine or even if the RB's were running better it would not be a guaranteed return trip to the SB. History has shown that is a very tough thing to achieve regardless of team.

Northman
10-04-2014, 11:02 AM
I don't: I hope our offense scores so many and our defense allows so few points NOTHING McManus (nor any kicker) does has ANY bearing on the outcome or opportunity to play ANY game, e

Yep. Cant argue with this.

The wife and were watching a replay of the 1998 Monday night game against KC and man... that team was incredible. Even with Brister filling in it was truly a machine. I miss watching Davis and saddens me that his career was cut so short. As much as i have enjoyed what Manning has done since getting here there is no doubt in my mind the 98' team would absolutely wipe the floor with this squad. It wouldnt be close at all. We were just so dominant in all phases of the game. And ironically in that game Brister was under a shitload of pressure at times from Thomas and Davis yet made some great plays both running an passing. Winning close games can be exciting but i would much rather utterly destroy teams like we did back then. That for me was even more exciting knowing that no matter how hard other teams tried to keep up with us we would just put our boot on the throat and squash any possibility of hope. lol

CrazyHorse
10-04-2014, 01:17 PM

Obvious troll is obvious.

CrazyHorse
10-04-2014, 01:24 PM
Eh, he was the best kicker in the league, no?

Maybe not, but he was pretty damn good.

NightTerror218
10-04-2014, 02:09 PM
Well, with everything else aside. Its already a difficult task to make it back to the SB twice in a row so even if Prater would of been fine or even if the RB's were running better it would not be a guaranteed return trip to the SB. History has shown that is a very tough thing to achieve regardless of team.

It was a coat saving thing to help keep players next season. Plus they had several weeks to see what he can do. He must have impressed a lot.

If cutting Prater and saving the 3 mill to resign pot roast or extend DT/ JT is what it takes then great move.

Joel
10-04-2014, 03:00 PM
full article - http://www.milehighreport.com/2014/10/3/6905605/matt-prater-released-five-reasons-the-broncos-kicker-was-cut
Okay, that makes sense, but why not a week ago? What changed in between except there's a lot less time to absorb and readjust before the next game? He may be "just a kicker" to a lot of fans, but to the players he's a teammate who's been there since the day each one of them arrived in Denver.

Bronco9798
10-04-2014, 03:26 PM
Could happen, but it also could of happened that we put Prater back in the starting lineup and he F's up again to the point he would be suspended for the rest of the season anyway. The risk factor was too high so Denver is going to roll the dice with McManus.

I hear you. I'm still going to miss him and never really doubted many of his kicks. I just hope this McManus kid can kick long FG's. I don't care if Prater is a drunk or not, you could always count on him to hit a FG.

Joel
10-04-2014, 04:39 PM
I hear you. I'm still going to miss him and never really doubted many of his kicks. I just hope this McManus kid can kick long FG's. I don't care if Prater is a drunk or not, you could always count on him to hit a FG.
Not ALWAYS (again, the 50 yarder just before the half in the Ravens playoff a few years ago; kicking the ground before the ball on that one turned into a 10 pt play.) McManus has the range; that much has always been clear: The question has always been his accuracy. In that respect, a 25 yd FG is as indicative as 55 yds: They'll both get there every time, and as long as one goes in, both will.

tomjonesrocks
10-04-2014, 05:46 PM
Not ALWAYS (again, the 50 yarder just before the half in the Ravens playoff a few years ago; kicking the ground before the ball on that one turned into a 10 pt play.) McManus has the range; that much has always been clear: The question has always been his accuracy. In that respect, a 25 yd FG is as indicative as 55 yds: They'll both get there every time, and as long as one goes in, both will.

To be honest I kinda forgot about that. I guess Moore's historic postered example of bed-shitting combined with Manning's miserable, anything-but-clutch soft toss across his body interception overshadowed that miss.

UnderArmour
10-04-2014, 05:56 PM
It was a coat saving thing to help keep players next season. Plus they had several weeks to see what he can do. He must have impressed a lot.

If cutting Prater and saving the 3 mill to resign pot roast or extend DT/ JT is what it takes then great move.

It's actually a net of $7.1 million. The $3 million in cap space we saved can be rolled over into next year's cap. The $4.1 million we don't pay him next year is $4.1 million more in cap space than we would have had keeping him.

Joel
10-04-2014, 06:26 PM
To be honest I kinda forgot about that. I guess Moore's historic postered example of bed-shitting combined with Manning's miserable, anything-but-clutch soft toss across his body interception overshadowed that miss.
Yet without that miss, and the immediately following 2:00 Drill we let go 60+ yds for a TD, Moore blowing defenses most basic job doesn't matter, so Mannings Int never HAPPENS.

There were SO many BASIC failures by GREAT players that day it's the reason I've never trusted the coaches since. I'd throw in Hillman and the run blocking on our final regulation drives (the one where literally running out the clock would've sealed the win,) except no one involved (except Clady) qualifies as a "great player" for me. Plus it DID burn all Baltimores time outs and leave them just 0:40 to drive the whole field for a TD; if we couldn't Prevent a 70 yd TD bomb for half a minute, maybe we didn't belong in the playoffs.

The miss (and not just miss, but kicking the GROUND) by a guy who only missed ONCE last year while setting two records is easy to, well, miss among all that days many disasters, including awful ones by a pair of first ballot HoFers. Yet absent ANY of them, Baltimore loses in regulation. Praters miss and the blown Prevent that followed count separately in my mind: Goof 1 was the miss costing us 3 pts and giving them the ball near midfield, but we still led by 7 with the half imminent; Goof 2 was allowing a 60 yd quick-strike TD drive to tie it at the half.

I just don't know how any decent coaching staff can fail to get a team that good up for a playoff game: First ballot HoFers don't give away playoff games on their own turf. What McCoy's done the last year and a half in SD argues he wasn't the problem: He sure got his guys up for their NEXT playoff game, Cincys only home loss of 2013. I hope these guys can coach some accuracy into McManus and maintain their remaining players confidence after the loss of the longest tenured Bronco, but their "achievements" to date inspire little confidence.

Joel
10-04-2014, 06:31 PM
It's actually a net of $7.1 million. The $3 million in cap space we saved can be rolled over into next year's cap. The $4.1 million we don't pay him next year is $4.1 million more in cap space than we would have had keeping him.
Except we don't save all the money he was due this year, because the rest of his pro-rated signing bonus accelerates to 2014: Instead of ~$2 million in base salary+this years $1 million signing bonus, we lose the $1 million 2014 bonus AND $1 million 2015 bonus. So the net's around $1 million, nearly half of which goes to McManus. The 2014 net savings is negligible (by NFL salary standards.)

silkamilkamonico
10-05-2014, 11:08 AM
Yep. Cant argue with this.

The wife and were watching a replay of the 1998 Monday night game against KC and man... that team was incredible. Even with Brister filling in it was truly a machine. I miss watching Davis and saddens me that his career was cut so short. As much as i have enjoyed what Manning has done since getting here there is no doubt in my mind the 98' team would absolutely wipe the floor with this squad. l

I think this year yes. I think last year's team would win, simply just outscore them. That Seattle team last year would have beat both teams pretty handily I think, obviously they crushed our team last year.

It's really sad I think. I know it's still early, but this team should be great. It should be better than our 98 team and it could be better than Seattle last year. Unfortunately I just think coaching won't allow it to be. But they can still change that.

Joel
10-05-2014, 12:26 PM
I think this year yes. I think last year's team would win, simply just outscore them. That Seattle team last year would have beat both teams pretty handily I think, obviously they crushed our team last year.

It's really sad I think. I know it's still early, but this team should be great. It should be better than our 98 team and it could be better than Seattle last year. Unfortunately I just think coaching won't allow it to be. But they can still change that.
This team has a better D, but lacks the championship teams offensive balance, because it lacks the elite offensive line. That SB TD against GB where we ran play action to a literally blind Terrell Davis who veered left followed by 7-8 Packers as Elway jogged right and into the end zone untouched in front of an uncovered Howard Griffith?

This team can't run that play; when we fake a hand off to Montee Ball (or ANY of our RBs) the defense just laughs and keeps sprinting for Manning or playing coverage: It's probably NOT a run, but even if it is, it probably won't get >2 yds, because THIS team has tried and FAILED to run the '97 teams patented stretch play way too many time for anyone to buy it. But that team was loaded with All Pro linemen (even drafting Lepsis BETWEEN SBs) which is why I hopped on board right after and despite the one-and-done playoff hosting a second year expansion team.

MOtorboat
10-05-2014, 12:37 PM
In a thread about a kicker...

silkamilkamonico
10-05-2014, 01:34 PM
This team has a better D, but lacks the championship teams offensive balance, because it lacks the elite offensive line. That SB TD against GB where we ran play action to a literally blind Terrell Davis who veered left followed by 7-8 Packers as Elway jogged right and into the end zone untouched in front of an uncovered Howard Griffith?

This team can't run that play; when we fake a hand off to Montee Ball (or ANY of our RBs) the defense just laughs and keeps sprinting for Manning or playing coverage: It's probably NOT a run, but even if it is, it probably won't get >2 yds, because THIS team has tried and FAILED to run the '97 teams patented stretch play way too many time for anyone to buy it. But that team was loaded with All Pro linemen (even drafting Lepsis BETWEEN SBs) which is why I hopped on board right after and despite the one-and-done playoff hosting a second year expansion team.

DIsagree completely. i think you're just reaching for something. This team needs to play more aggressive, and that starts with the caoching. AS far as your championship balance comment, More SUperBowl teams have won the SuperBowl missing "something" than not. I'm sorry, but I can't believe you're using one play to try and justify the difference between the 2 teams. That team certainly had it's moments at the season, specifically late, where there was a bunch of questions surrounding it. That team also lost to eh Jaguars at home in the playoffs just 2 seasons earlier.

This team doesn't need to run the ball. They need to play aggressive with tempo like they did last year and throw. They also need Demarious Thomas to be better than he has.

This team couldn't touch what that team did in offense balance between run and pass. That team can't touch what this team can do passing. Coaches are completely holding this team back. This team was the best offensive team in the history of the NFL last year. This year we are ranked 22nd. Coaches need to figure it out.

Northman
10-05-2014, 01:45 PM
DIsagree completely. i think you're just reaching for something. This team needs to play more aggressive, and that starts with the caoching. AS far as your championship balance comment, More SUperBowl teams have won the SuperBowl missing "something" than not. I'm sorry, but I can't believe you're using one play to try and justify the difference between the 2 teams. That team certainly had it's moments at the season, specifically late, where there was a bunch of questions surrounding it. That team also lost to eh Jaguars at home in the playoffs just 2 seasons earlier.

This team doesn't need to run the ball. They need to play aggressive with tempo like they did last year and throw. They also need Demarious Thomas to be better than he has.

This team couldn't touch what that team did in offense balance between run and pass. That team can't touch what this team can do passing. Coaches are completely holding this team back. This team was the best offensive team in the history of the NFL last year. This year we are ranked 22nd. Coaches need to figure it out.

Totally disagree with your assessment that last years team would of beaten the 98' team. No way in hell.

The 98' Broncos were better on ALL sides of the ball. The blitz packages that GROB had were brutal and as a collective the 98' Broncos were faster and much like the Seahawk last year would of just utterly destroyed last year's and this year's team. The defense that we have the last couple of years would not have been able to stop the 98' offense and the defense on the 98' team would of been way too fast for all the Manning screens, etc. It just wouldnt be close and your kidding yourself if you think it would be. The Seahawks last year would put up a better fight against that 98' team than ours would. lol

Ziggy
10-05-2014, 01:49 PM
The 98 Broncos were far better on special teams. They were solid there. On defense, the overall talent was about the same but the coaching was better. On offense, that team would get a lead and break the will of the opposing defenses by running the ball down their throats when they knew that they were running. That's what made that offense special. They could beat you with the pass or the run. Last year's team and this year's team can't run the ball even when there are only 5 in the box. The 98 Broncos could run it with 9 in the box. They crushed defenses and broke their hearts, their will, and their hopes. That team would have destroyed the current Broncos.

Joel
10-05-2014, 02:15 PM
Precious few teams missing "something" won SB when that "something" was a run game; the '96 Pack was one of those exceptions, but look what happened when they faced a balanced offense in the '97 SB. That "one play" wouldn't be such a big deal if we didn't still run the stretch nearly as much as that team did—or if it didn't consistently get far less because the blocking's far less. A bunch of Pro Bowl linemen vs. a PAIR amid three scrubs? That's a huge difference in the MOST VITAL part of ANY offense, championship or otherwise.

We're not missing "swagger" or whatever one wants to call it: We're missing EXECUTION. Whether that's a question of talent or skill remains to be seen.

This team couldn't touch what that team did in offense balance between run and pass. That team can't touch what this team can do passing. Coaches are completely holding this team back. This team was the best offensive team in the history of the NFL last year. This year we are ranked 22nd. Coaches need to figure it out.31 coaches HAVE, because Seattle showed the world.

Bronco9798
10-05-2014, 02:54 PM
I still prefer a drunk Prater over most kickers!!!

MOtorboat
10-05-2014, 03:08 PM
Precious few teams missing "something" won SB when that "something" was a run game; the '96 Pack was one of those exceptions, but look what happened when they faced a balanced offense in the '97 SB. That "one play" wouldn't be such a big deal if we didn't still run the stretch nearly as much as that team did—or if it didn't consistently get far less because the blocking's far less. A bunch of Pro Bowl linemen vs. a PAIR amid three scrubs? That's a huge difference in the MOST VITAL part of ANY offense, championship or otherwise.

We're not missing "swagger" or whatever one wants to call it: We're missing EXECUTION. Whether that's a question of talent or skill remains to be seen.

31 coaches HAVE, because Seattle showed the world.

It sucks being 0-4.

BroncoJoe
10-05-2014, 05:18 PM
Any questions?

ShaneFalco
10-05-2014, 06:08 PM
The FG post has a few.

silkamilkamonico
10-05-2014, 06:28 PM

Totally disagree with your assessment that last years team would of beaten the 98' team. No way in hell.

The 98' Broncos were better on ALL sides of the ball. The blitz packages that GROB had were brutal and as a collective the 98' Broncos were faster and much like the Seahawk last year would of just utterly destroyed last year's and this year's team. The defense that we have the last couple of years would not have been able to stop the 98' offense and the defense on the 98' team would of been way too fast for all the Manning screens, etc. It just wouldnt be close and your kidding yourself if you think it would be. The Seahawks last year would pmput up a better fight against that 98' team than ours would. lol

Disagree completely. Last year would simply out score them. 98 offense was real good and balanced but it would have to score on almost every position and it wouldn't do that.

13 broncos > 98 broncos.

That fn seattle team though. Sexy.

silkamilkamonico
10-05-2014, 06:29 PM

This team couldn't touch what that team did in offense balance between run and pass. That team can't touch what this team can do passing. Coaches are completely holding this team back. This team was the best offensive team in the history of the NFL last year. This year we are ranked 22nd. Coaches need to figure it out.31 coaches HAVE, because Seattle showed the world.

Seattle didnt show shit. They were just better. Of every team could play like seattle denver wouldn't be 3-1.

Bronco9798
10-05-2014, 06:33 PM

Not so much, yet!!

GEM
10-05-2014, 07:38 PM
McManus kick is pretty sketchy. Hope he pulls together because he has an ugly kick.

BroncoJoe
10-05-2014, 09:18 PM
I think he passed his first real test just fine. I'm not worried.

Bronco9798
10-05-2014, 09:19 PM
I think he passed his first real test just fine. I'm not worried.

I'm not comfortable with him yet. He needs time. I just don't have a fuzzy feeling yet!! :-)

BroncoJoe
10-05-2014, 09:23 PM
I'm not comfortable with him yet. He needs time. I just don't have a fuzzy feeling yet!! :-)

Prater became automatic. Remember how everyone felt about him that first year replacing Elam? It was ugly.

Bronco9798
10-05-2014, 09:24 PM
Prater became automatic. Remember how everyone felt about him that first year replacing Elam? It was ugly.

Yeah but he drank beer! He had tattoos. We liked him!!!

BroncoWave
10-05-2014, 09:25 PM
Yeah but he drank beer! He had tattoos. We liked him!!!

I dunno, he had like the douchiest kind of tattoo there is. I was kinda embarrassed every time I saw it.

Bronco9798
10-05-2014, 09:26 PM
I dunno, he had like the douchiest kind of tattoo there is. I was kinda embarrassed every time I saw it.

He's a kicker. Kickers are friggin weird man!!!

Nomad
10-05-2014, 09:27 PM
Maybe one of you guys in Denver can bring McManus out for a few beers on a Sat night.:)........too soon.

BroncoJoe
10-05-2014, 10:51 PM
4. The Lions are going to be looking for another kicker (Matt Prater's agent should have already received a call by the time you read this). Alex Henery -- signed two weeks ago -- missed three field goals. Lions kickers are now 1-for-9 on attempts longer than 30 yards on the season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000405870/article/kyle-orton-leads-bills-to-comeback-win-over-lions

weazel
10-06-2014, 11:43 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000405870/article/kyle-orton-leads-bills-to-comeback-win-over-lions

Yep... Prater will probably be a Lion kicking indoors at a 99% clip. We can enjoy the sound of the ball hitting the upright though!

Bronco9798
10-06-2014, 11:47 AM
Yep... Prater will probably be a Lion kicking indoors at a 99% clip. We can enjoy the sound of the ball hitting the upright though!

He'll be a monster in Detroit. They just released their kicker.

GEM
10-06-2014, 11:55 AM
The Broncos are screwed either way. People don't like the cut, but people would bitch if we kept Prater and he got the year long and we didn't have an answer...they should have thought about this then.

Either way, they are going to take some heat. In the long run, I'll let the kid play a few games before I am ready to throw him out the door.

pnbronco
10-06-2014, 12:02 PM
IMO Brandon will do fine as long as we don't need him to win a game. I'm not going to lie I wished we would of had Prater yesterday when the game was close.

I liked Matt a lot and will miss him. I only wish him the best and I'm pretty sure he'll have another job very, very soon. I would bet that Jay Feely said some pretty bad words when he found out that Prater would be available for hire else where....;)

Cugel
10-06-2014, 12:17 PM

CLANNGGGG! :beer:

Actually, if he tries from more than 43 yards he won't be hitting any uprights. You saw the 53 yard attempt.

That was one of the most pathetic FG attempts I've seen in a LONG while. Had absolutely zero chance of making it. Not even close. Just like a total shank in golf.

Cugel
10-06-2014, 12:22 PM
The Broncos are screwed either way. People don't like the cut, but people would bitch if we kept Prater and he got the year long and we didn't have an answer...they should have thought about this then.

Either way, they are going to take some heat. In the long run, I'll let the kid play a few games before I am ready to throw him out the door.

Let's face it. Brandon McManus is nothing special. They took a look at him in practice for a month, said "the kid looks good" and then decided to keep him.

Which immediately backfired in the game when he looked totally horrible. He not only clanged off the upright and totally missed the 53 yarder, did you see the extra points? He barely made 2 of them!

I see nothing to make me think the Broncos couldn't sign a kicker right off the street who would be no worse than McManus. So, what's the risk of keeping Prater? None whatever.

Watch and see. He's going to light up the league for whatever team picks him up while McManus will miss a bunch of FGs Prater would have made! They're going to have to go for it on 4th down in any situation over 44 yards.

BroncoJoe
10-06-2014, 12:40 PM
CLANNGGGG! :beer:

Actually, if he tries from more than 43 yards he won't be hitting any uprights. You saw the 53 yard attempt.

That was one of the most pathetic FG attempts I've seen in a LONG while. Had absolutely zero chance of making it. Not even close. Just like a total shank in golf.

So, you've only been watching football this year? Maybe yesterday was your first game to watch?

Stupid, stupid statement.

slim
10-06-2014, 12:41 PM
LOL, Prater's attempt two years ago against Bal was a worse attempt than that. He effing kicked the ground!!!

MOtorboat
10-06-2014, 01:05 PM
Didn't Prater miss a 37-yarder against the Bears three years ago?

A.J. Feeley also working out for Lions.

BroncoNut
10-06-2014, 01:07 PM
Didn't Prater miss a 37-harder against the Bears three years ago?

ummm. 36 Yarder maybe?

MOtorboat
10-06-2014, 01:12 PM
ummm. 36 Yarder maybe?

Damn autocorrect. I didn't mean to get you excited nut.

BroncoNut
10-06-2014, 01:15 PM
Damn autocorrect. I didn't mean to get you excited nut.

not really exciting, just kinda ironic. being that you are the know-it-all grammatician. this upcoming week you guys tailgate huh? are you all set? are you driving out?

BroncoJoe
10-06-2014, 01:16 PM
not really exciting, just kinda ironic. being that you are the know-it-all grammatician. this upcoming week you guys tailgate huh? are you all set? are you driving out?

The week after this, numbnuts.

BroncoNut
10-06-2014, 01:18 PM
So, you've only been watching football this year? Maybe yesterday was your first game to watch?

Stupid, stupid statement.

this post deserves a "concerning your post" pm from a mod, but I bet you won't get one.

BroncoNut
10-06-2014, 01:18 PM
The week after this, numbnuts.

oh, the bears game?

BroncoJoe
10-06-2014, 01:20 PM
this post deserves a "concerning your post" pm from a mod, but I bet you won't get one.

No. I won't. The MODS typically give leeway to accurate statements.

BroncoJoe
10-06-2014, 01:20 PM
oh, the bears game?

Nut, you should come out for it. We'd have a blast.

Bronco9798
10-06-2014, 01:26 PM

Prater nailed a 50+ yarder to get to OT against the Bears and nailed another 50+ yarder to win the game as I remember. It was a few years ago.

BroncoNut
10-06-2014, 01:28 PM
Nut, you should come out for it. We'd have a blast.

I feel like Carrie in the movie Carrie

BroncoNut
10-06-2014, 01:29 PM
No. I won't. The MODS typically give leeway to accurate statements.

well if that's the case, then Atwater isn't a jerkoff.

Bronco9798
10-06-2014, 01:32 PM

Prater's 51-yarder in overtime that sent the Broncos past the stunned Chicago Bears 13-10 on Sunday was his third straight walk-off field goal. It followed his 59-yarder that tied it with three seconds left in the fourth quarter.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Latest-News-Wires/2011/1212/Tim-Tebow-gets-praise-but-Matt-Prater-brings-it-home-for-the-Broncos

slim
10-06-2014, 01:33 PM
I feel like Carrie in the movie Carrie

I often think about bleeding women when I read your posts.

BroncoNut
10-06-2014, 01:44 PM
I often think about bleeding women when I read your posts.

well, I'm not so sure what that is supposed to mean, but whatever

GEM
10-06-2014, 02:00 PM
Let's face it. Brandon McManus is nothing special. They took a look at him in practice for a month, said "the kid looks good" and then decided to keep him.

Which immediately backfired in the game when he looked totally horrible. He not only clanged off the upright and totally missed the 53 yarder, did you see the extra points? He barely made 2 of them!

I see nothing to make me think the Broncos couldn't sign a kicker right off the street who would be no worse than McManus. So, what's the risk of keeping Prater? None whatever.

Watch and see. He's going to light up the league for whatever team picks him up while McManus will miss a bunch of FGs Prater would have made! They're going to have to go for it on 4th down in any situation over 44 yards.

The reason they took him via trade is because multiple teams would have scooped him up.

FFS. Prater did this to himself, the Broncos didn't do this, they just have to pick up the pieces because some dude couldn't lay off alcohol. Idiot. Manning has a point about drunk, idiot kickers.

Barely doesn't count. Still made it.

He'll get better, calm yourself. :laugh:

Nomad
10-06-2014, 02:13 PM
Amazing the people whining about a rookie kicker:lol: People should be crucifying Prater for choosing alcohol over his career.

ShaneFalco
10-06-2014, 02:13 PM
#TeamPrater

Nomad
10-06-2014, 02:15 PM
#TeamPrater

That must of sucked for DT, getting that beer spilt on him. Nothing like having that spilt beer smell on you.:lol:

ShaneFalco
10-06-2014, 02:16 PM
That must of sucked for DT, getting that beer spilt on him. Nothing like having that spilt beer smell on you.:lol:

Prater would have licked his jersey on the sideline.

BroncoNut
10-06-2014, 02:36 PM
gotta admit, that DT lambeau leap was pretty cool. I would have loved to be one of those chicks. man what a game he had last night

TXBRONC
10-06-2014, 02:57 PM
That 24 yard FG was so awesome they decided to let Prater go.

All I've said is that maybe Elway thinks McManus has kicked well enough to keep the job.

slim
10-06-2014, 03:38 PM
All I've said is that maybe Elway thinks McManus has kicked well enough to keep the job.

Maybe he's killing it in practice, I don't know.

Northman
10-06-2014, 03:56 PM
gotta admit, that DT lambeau leap was pretty cool. I would have loved to be one of those chicks. man what a game he had last night

Only you would say you wanted to be one of the chicks and not DT SURROUNDED by the chicks. :lol:

MOtorboat
10-06-2014, 04:15 PM
Maybe he's killing it in practice, I don't know.

He is 5-for-6 on FGs and 13-for-13 on XPs.

slim
10-06-2014, 04:16 PM

Yeah, going into the game yesterday he was 3-3 with a long of 24 yards. BFD.

Bronco9798
10-06-2014, 04:20 PM

Please. Let's not pat the guy on the back for being perfect on PAT's and FG's of 24 yards or shorter.

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
10-06-2014, 04:22 PM
He hasn't looked as bad as the K that just got cut in Detroit.

GEM
10-06-2014, 04:29 PM

Geez.

Joel
10-06-2014, 07:11 PM
Please. Let's not pat the guy on the back for being perfect on PAT's and FG's of 24 yards or shorter.
Especially when he was a long way from perfect on a 25 yarder (DOOOOONG!!!) and nearly missed one of those 19 yd PATs yesterday; if that's another 25 yarder, it's wide right. He was a West Stands gasp from being 1/3 with a missed PAT; he needs to get a LOT better by January, because TBs aren't that important, nor hard to get in Mile High.

He hasn't looked as bad as the K that just got cut in Detroit.
That's setting the crossbar pretty low. I can't believe Detroit sent Rugland back to Norway and hasn't called him since; pretty sure he can consistently better the 42% their first kicker had, let alone the 1/7 performance from this last guy. But that's Detroit; they'll probably sign Prater and buy him a house in Milwaukee; "it's a long drive to games, but at least you have a dozen breweries in walking distance! :)"

GEM
10-06-2014, 07:16 PM
Can we stop spamming the Norwegian soccer kicker all over the place...

Joel
10-06-2014, 07:45 PM
Can we stop spamming the Norwegian soccer kicker all over the place...
The very SECOND our starter stops bouncing 25 yarders off uprights and nearly missing PATs. Remember the Christmas Eve game back in '06 when Cincy lost to us on a muffed PAT? That kick cost them a playoff spot (and nearly earned us one, if not for an awful SF team cheap shotting their way to a win and KC finishing with a better AFCW record.)

That game kinda stuck in my head because I had a huge fight with my mom about it because I refused to leave for a 3 hr drive to visit relatives until it ended, and it turned out to be the last game I saw D-Will play, because we didn't get the SF game in TX. Don't know why I got so worked up about a .500 team I supposedly dislike playing a game I supposedly hate. ;)

MOtorboat
10-06-2014, 07:48 PM
The very SECOND our starter stops bouncing 25 yarders off uprights and nearly missing PATs. Remember the Christmas Eve game back in '06 when Cincy lost to us on a muffed PAT? That kick cost them a playoff spot (and nearly earned us one, if not for an awful SF team cheap shotting their way to a win and KC finishing with a better AFCW record.)

That game kinda stuck in my head because I had a huge fight with my mom about it because I refused to leave for a 3 hr drive to visit relatives until it ended, and it turned out to be the last game I saw D-Will play, because we didn't get the SF game in TX. Don't know why I got so worked up about a .500 team I supposedly dislike playing a game I supposedly hate. ;)

Looks like the Norwegian sucks and you were wrong about him.

Joel
10-06-2014, 07:56 PM
Looks like the Norwegian sucks and you were wrong about him.
He made practically every kick he attempted on a football field; that's better than the guy starting for us, or the two former Detroit starters. Last I spoke with him he said teams just don't want lefties because it turns everything around for holders. That makes sense, given they practice long snaps over and over till they're automatic; flipping everything 180° must inevitably mess with that a lot.

When our guy stops bouncing 25 yarders off uprights and nearly missing PATs, I'll stop wanting someone better, but until then maybe there are better candidates for suckage (unfortunately.)

Joker56
10-06-2014, 08:14 PM
You know that John Elway really sucked in his first year ?
So,really,we should have cut him after that year.
Damn Joel,give the kid a few games to f up,then you can tell us,how right you were about him.

Joel
10-06-2014, 08:47 PM
You know that John Elway really sucked in his first year ?
So,really,we should have cut him after that year.
Damn Joel,give the kid a few games to f up,then you can tell us,how right you were about him.
He's got time; that's one big reason I agree Elway was right to do this now rather than wait till December and risk having to give a new guy a crash course on the team while putting together a playoff run. Or have the whole roster and coaching staff (not to mention the starting kicker) constantly walking on egg shells between now and then. Work out the bugs BEFORE the postseason, while the entire season doesn't end with our first loss. I wish he'd released Prater last week instead of last Friday, but the team it didn't seem to re-unbalance the team; they came out of the bye regrouped and strong.

McManus must improve though; he's got time, but there's no time like the present.

BroncoJoe
10-06-2014, 08:49 PM
Jesus, Joel. Give it up already. We get you don't like the Broncos, and sooner or later (hopefully sooner) the mods will ban your sorry ass for trolling.

Joel
10-06-2014, 09:44 PM
Jesus, Joel. Give it up already. We get you don't like the Broncos, and sooner or later (hopefully sooner) the mods will ban your sorry ass for trolling.
No matter how many homers say I hate the team, that doesn't make it so. Multiple people repeatedly asked me to join this site at its founding, whether any cyberstalkers like it or not.

BroncoJoe
10-06-2014, 09:46 PM
No matter how many homers say I hate the team, that doesn't make it so. Multiple people repeatedly asked me to join this site at its founding, whether any cyberstalkers like it or not.

And most have left, or been banned. Take a hint.

Your posts don't indicate any love or appreciation for the Broncos. That perception is on you, and no one else.

MOtorboat
10-06-2014, 09:48 PM

The irony here is that in preseason, I was getting yelled at for being a debbie downer.

I'm far from a homer, and it's pretty clear and obvious I think you either can't stand the Broncos or enjoy being a miserable, sour person in general. I'm guessing its the latter.

Joel
10-06-2014, 10:04 PM
And most have left, or been banned. Take a hint.
How do you know that?

Your posts don't indicate any love or appreciation for the Broncos. That perception is on you, and no one else.
Sure they do: You and MO just don't READ my posts; you skim for something that justifies shouting, "J'ACCUSE!" (if only in your own minds) and pounce on it while ignoring the rest. I've made many different positive comments about the Broncos in many posts; your failure to "perceive" the plain text is on YOU.

The irony here is that in preseason, I was getting yelled at for being a debbie downer.

I'm far from a homer, and it's pretty clear and obvious I think you either can't stand the Broncos or enjoy being a miserable, sour person in general. I'm guessing its the latter.
So backing down from the self-appointed Team Loyalty Officer position? I guess that's something.

MOtorboat
10-06-2014, 10:09 PM
How do you know that?

Sure they do: You and MO just don't READ my posts; you skim for something that justifies shouting, "J'ACCUSE!" (if only in your own minds) and pounce on it while ignoring the rest. I've made many different positive comments about the Broncos in many posts; your failure to "perceive" the plain text is on YOU.

So backing down from the self-appointed Team Loyalty Officer position? I guess that's something.

You know what, when the criticism of the team is that they lost in the Super Bowl, lost again to the same team at their place (where they literally haven't lost in two ******* years), and the Broncos missed a field goal this week, it's pretty ******* stupid to act the way you do, spamming the board with your unbelievable petty drivel.

And all because the team decided not to keep one of the worst quarterbacks to ever put on an NFL uniform.

Pathetic.

Joel
10-06-2014, 10:17 PM
You know what, when the criticism of the team is that they lost in the Super Bowl, lost again to the same team at their place (where they literally haven't lost in two ******* years), and the Broncos missed a field goal this week, it's pretty ******* stupid to act the way you do, spamming the board with your unbelievable petty drivel.
There's two threads debating the pros and cons of releasing Prater, and I didn't start either of them. McManus had a bad game Sunday, but if you bothered to READ my posts you'd see I SUPPORT ELWAYS DECISION THERE because the alternative was so much riskier and bringing in the new guy now gives him time to settle in and work out the kinks, something we don't want to be doing in the playoffs.

And all because the team decided not to keep one of the worst quarterbacks to ever put on an NFL uniform.
There you go projecting assumptions again: I'm only accountable for things I ACTUALLY say, not everything you IMAGINE me saying. And you call ME a troll; looked in a mirror lately?