PDA

View Full Version : FCC unanimously dumps blackout rule

Denver Native (Carol)
09-30-2014, 11:20 AM
The NFL wants to “Protect Football on Free TV.” The FCC did just that on Tuesday, voting unanimously to abandon the blackout rule.

“This is a historic day for sports fans,” Sports Fans Coalition chairman David Goodriend said in a release. “Since 1975, the federal government has propped up the NFL’s obnoxious practice of blacking out a game from local TV if the stadium did not sell out. Today’s FCC action makes clear: if leagues want to mistreat fans, they will have to do so without Uncle Sam’s help.”

It doesn’t mean the blackout rule has died; the NFL and broadcast networks can agree to abide by its terms. Today’s decision means only that the NFL can’t insist on network blackouts via an FCC policy that previously gave the NFL the ability to pull the plug.

rest - http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/30/fcc-unanimously-dumps-blackout-rule/

Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 1h

RT @ProFootballTalk: FCC unanimously dumps blackout rule http://wp.me/p14QSB-9AqA --->> 'bout time. san diego rejoices

BroncoWave
09-30-2014, 11:23 AM
We are about to see a drop in attendance of nfl games.

Thnikkaman
09-30-2014, 11:25 AM
rest - http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/30/fcc-unanimously-dumps-blackout-rule/

Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 1h

RT @ProFootballTalk: FCC unanimously dumps blackout rule http://wp.me/p14QSB-9AqA --->> 'bout time. san diego rejoices

I don't care bout the NFL's Black out rules, but I hope it destroy's the MLB's black out rules.

Joel
09-30-2014, 12:04 PM
If
The NFL wants to “Protect Football on Free TV” it should give ESPNs MNF contract back to ABC (i.e. the FREE network for which it was CREATED back when ALL NFL games were on free TV.) Free TV's doing a pretty good job of protecting football for itself despite the NFL ATTACKING it by putting one game/week not only on a cable channel but a PREMIUM channel that costs even SUBSCRIBERS more because cable companies aren't stupid enough to try justifying everyone on basic cable paying more year 'round for a channel only a few want even half a year and most don't want AT ALL.

How's that Thursday night NFLN game going these days; making the League lots of money from fans who love it...? ;)

The owners are so full of it their eyes must be brown, but as long as they can still find stooges like Goodell to announce their diktats and take the resulting heat for the authors, it'll continue. It's hard to imagine a better argument against giving a billionaire boys club absolute, unsupervised and unaccountable control of so much as a hot dog stand (their hot dog stands are pretty pricey, too, after all.)

As someone who grew up unable to see HALF my teams games even though they were almost close enough to be HEARD, all because Bud Adams couldn't sell out the Dome he insisted being torn apart to give him MORE seats to not-sell, I'm glad to see the blackout rule finally go. It's just one symptom of a far deeper problem though.

Bronco9798
09-30-2014, 03:05 PM
The NFL and TV stations can still agree to have blackouts. Eliminating the rule won’t immediately end all blackouts. They could still occur locally under existing contracts between the NFL and broadcasters, or as a result of negotiating disputes between broadcasters and pay-TV operators.

chazoe60
09-30-2014, 03:06 PM
And they rejoice in the streets of San Diego. Just kidding, they don't give a shit.

chazoe60
09-30-2014, 03:07 PM
Oops, didn't notice that vic already beat me to the joke.

BroncoWave
09-30-2014, 03:19 PM
Oops, didn't notice that vic already beat me to the joke.

Nice one, dumbass. :D

Buff
09-30-2014, 03:44 PM
And they rejoice in the streets of San Diego. Just kidding, they don't give a shit.

Yours was better. And not just because Vic is on my shit list these days.

BroncoWave
09-30-2014, 03:49 PM
Yours was better. And not just because Vic is on my shit list these days.

I don't really like Vic either, but I quite enjoyed his interaction with you. :D

chazoe60
09-30-2014, 03:56 PM
I'm starting to join the "BTB is a doosh" camp.

BroncoWave
09-30-2014, 03:58 PM
I'm starting to join the "BTB is a doosh" camp.

Nooo! Don't do it Chazoe!

Buff
09-30-2014, 04:02 PM
I don't really like Vic either, but I quite enjoyed his interaction with you. :D

The funny thing is that I actually like Vic, and always have, but I feel like he's kind of gotten too arrogantly douchey for his own good.

BroncoWave
09-30-2014, 04:04 PM
The funny thing is that I actually like Vic, and always have, but I feel like he's kind of gotten too arrogantly douchey for his own good.

I used to really like him but I started to sour on him during that whole Flacco banner thing last year. He came across as such a toolbag in that interview he did with the Baltimore radio guy. Then he did the stupid vandalism stunt. And he still whines about that banner to this day.

But yeah, I've had a few twitter run-ins with him as well. He's definitely becoming a pretty big troll.

chazoe60
09-30-2014, 04:12 PM
You know who I can't stand, besides BTB, Drew ******* Soicher. Holy shit that guy sucks.

BroncoWave
09-30-2014, 04:12 PM
Who is that?

chazoe60
09-30-2014, 04:15 PM
Who is that?

Chanel 9 sports guy out of Denver. I probably spelled his name wrong. He is an annoying **** stain.

Buff
09-30-2014, 04:17 PM
You know who I can't stand, besides BTB, Drew ******* Soicher. Holy shit that guy sucks.

Nobody even understands how he has a job. The other sports guys openly mock him as never being present at any local sporting events. It's kind of puzzling why he has that job.