PDA

View Full Version : Maurice Clarett: His Story Needs To Be Told To Every NFL Rookie

Denver Native (Carol)
09-29-2014, 10:01 AM
Maurice was in Denver last week, and Vic sat down with him. Here is video. I am so glad that he got his life together.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/video/10635047-maurice-clarett-his-story-needs-to-be-told-to-every-nfl-rookie/

weazel
09-29-2014, 10:08 AM
I will read this later at home, where I can get my Goose on.

Nomad
09-29-2014, 10:19 AM
I forgot the BRONCOS drafted that guy.

Northman
09-29-2014, 11:14 AM
I didnt, hated the pick then and still hate that we wasted a pick on him. Good that he got his shit together though. Is he working with Tatum?

7DnBrnc53
10-01-2014, 06:39 AM
I didnt, hated the pick then and still hate that we wasted a pick on him.

I know, especially due to the fact that we could have had Frank Gore, but we drafted three CB's instead. Clarett was never in Gore's league. Frank would have been top-5 in the draft if he didn't get hurt, like McGahee would have in 03.

Bronco9798
10-01-2014, 12:10 PM
Good for him. Like to see story's like this instead of the Ryan Leafs and other morons. I hope he continues with his success!

Joel
10-01-2014, 02:54 PM
I know, especially due to the fact that we could have had Frank Gore, but we drafted three CB's instead. Clarett was never in Gore's league. Frank would have been top-5 in the draft if he didn't get hurt, like McGahee would have in 03.
Yeah, but we NEEDED those CBs because Manning kept torching us 41-10 in the playoffs; same reason we traded Portis for Champ—but even he couldn't play three positions simultaneously (at least not every down; he DID make a habit of dropping his man once the ball was thrown and crossing the width of the field for an Int.)

Frankly, I think any rookie who needs to hear Claretts story needs it before Draft Day; by then, it's probably too late, and the only tutor that can still help is the experience all fools choose.

7DnBrnc53
10-01-2014, 03:50 PM
Yeah, but we NEEDED those CBs because Manning kept torching us 41-10 in the playoffs; same reason we traded Portis for Champ—but even he couldn't play three positions simultaneously (at least not every down; he DID make a habit of dropping his man once the ball was thrown and crossing the width of the field for an Int.)

Frankly, I think any rookie who needs to hear Claretts story needs it before Draft Day; by then, it's probably too late, and the only tutor that can still help is the experience all fools choose.

Well, we did need Darrent Williams, but we also needed a pass rush, and Shanny never really got the players to provide one. That's why we were torched as much as anything.

Joel
10-01-2014, 05:42 PM
Well, we did need Darrent Williams, but we also needed a pass rush, and Shanny never really got the players to provide one. That's why we were torched as much as anything.
Reading this on the heels of your other comment really confuses me. ;) It wasn't that our DEs were bad so much as that our DTs were awful, so the DEs couldn't do much. This is the part where I rante about how much I hate the abbreviation "DL." :tongue:

Slick
10-01-2014, 06:48 PM
Nice to see a feel good story amongst all the chaos in the world. Thanks Carol.

7DnBrnc53
10-02-2014, 11:13 PM
Reading this on the heels of your other comment really confuses me. ;) It wasn't that our DEs were bad so much as that our DTs were awful, so the DEs couldn't do much. This is the part where I rante about how much I hate the abbreviation "DL." :tongue:

Yes, Joel, you are right. In 2003 and 04, the defensive tackles weren't that great, either. We had luminaries like Mario Fatafehi, Darius Holland, and Daryl (IHOP) Gardener on the line.

Then, in 05, Shanny brings in an average D-line from Cleveland along with too many corners. People like Courtney "no first step" Brown and Gerard "Big Lazy" Warren are not going to make you better.

Joel
10-03-2014, 12:46 PM
Yes, Joel, you are right. In 2003 and 04, the defensive tackles weren't that great, either. We had luminaries like Mario Fatafehi, Darius Holland, and Daryl (IHOP) Gardener on the line.

Then, in 05, Shanny brings in an average D-line from Cleveland along with too many corners. People like Courtney "no first step" Brown and Gerard "Big Lazy" Warren are not going to make you better.
Since EA ended PC versions of Madden after '08, and I refuse to by a second computer that can ONLY play games, I'm still rocking '07 and thus still regularly reminded of two things about those teams:

1) I wasn't the only one who thought we had the NFLs best starting 4-3 LB trio; Wilson, DJ and Gold are all rated >90.
2) We weren't the only ones who thought Denvers DTs were awful, even worse than the DEs. Seriously, Brown has trade value (he somehow avoids the injury prone tag, and the actual Courtney Brown was decent when healthy) but Michael Myers or Demetrin Veal? "Veal" is a baby cow beaten till soft; IMHO, that's a good description of our Veal.

I love Shanny to death and still consider him a great coach—but any team hiring him should get a restraining order to keep him 100 yds from the defense at all times, because he has NO clue how to draft or run one. The 'Skins were overloaded with defensive talent when he took over but turned into Swiss cheese almost immediately; even high octane Shanny offenses couldn't make them competitive. More than his general draft decisions, this is the best argument against granting Shanny GM power (again, IMHO.) Remember trading up for Jarvis Moss? *shudder*

The thing is, without those space eaters in the middle it doesn't matter how good the DEs are at pass rushing: Opponents don't NEED to pass if they can consistently run up the gut for 5-6 yds at a time, and even if they can't, someone has to demand doubleteams so those smaller faster DEs don't get them instead, or get pushed past QBs who just step up into a nice comfy pocket as safe as their mothers womb.

In the 15 years between our last SB win and last SB appearance, the best DT we had was Trevor Pryce: A DE who hated being forced to play DT so much he left for more money at his preferred position. That's another depressing thing about playing Madden '07: Pryce and Keith Traylor are still in the league, but not in DENVER.

Happy days are here again on D now though; we've got elite starters at EVERY position, and plenty of quality depth behind most of them (the one thing our great starting LB trio didn't have a decade ago was decent backups, hence my screams for someone good enough to step in "if anything happens to Wilson" and our total lack of ANY Mike once injury ended his career.) Really, the only thing I'd change if I could is better run blocking inside (I'd like to have Moreno, but we wouldn't need him with good run blocking.)

BroncoJoe
10-03-2014, 02:23 PM
I was (and still am) one of the few that didn't mind the Clarett pick. IIRC, it was a "gimme" pick anyway and the potential upside was worth it. Too bad, because he had all the talent in the world, but ended up another Ryan Leaf. Glad to see him turn his life around.

Bronco9798
10-03-2014, 02:24 PM
I was (and still am) one of the few that didn't mind the Clarett pick. IIRC, it was a "gimme" pick anyway and the potential upside was worth it. Too bad, because he had all the talent in the world, but ended up another Ryan Leaf. Glad to see him turn his life around.

Remember the Clarett thread over at the Freak. That was a doozy.

Northman
10-03-2014, 02:46 PM
I cant see how anyone would be ok with that pick. Dude was trouble coming into the NFL. I kept laughing at people who thought we might draft him and low and behold we did. Was so ******* pissed and knew he was going to suck. So so hated that pick.

BroncoJoe
10-03-2014, 02:53 PM
I cant see how anyone would be ok with that pick. Dude was trouble coming into the NFL. I kept laughing at people who thought we might draft him and low and behold we did. Was so ******* pissed and knew he was going to suck. So so hated that pick.

Did you see him in college? Dude was a player. Too bad his head was up his ass, because I really thought he'd be an excellent back. Plus - it was a compensatory pick. NBD in my mind.

Northman
10-03-2014, 03:04 PM
Did you see him in college? Dude was a player. Too bad his head was up his ass, because I really thought he'd be an excellent back. Plus - it was a compensatory pick. NBD in my mind.

Yea, but we both know that college is not the same as the NFL. Problem with Clarett was he had character issues coming in because of stuff that happened at OSU. And even though my memory is a bit shaky i believe he had a terrible combine which further gave me concern. I would have to go back and look but there were (IMO) so many other needs and better players we could have taken instead. My guess is Shanahan took him as a project but for me i just knew the dude wasnt going to pan out. Sometimes you can just look at a player and his persona/drive and know they are not going to be the stars they were at the college level. I understand at times taking a risk on a player (DT comes to mind) but Clarett to me was not a worthy gamble by any stretch.

BroncoJoe
10-03-2014, 03:06 PM
Yea, but we both know that college is not the same as the NFL. Problem with Clarett was he had character issues coming in because of stuff that happened at OSU. And even though my memory is a bit shaky i believe he had a terrible combine which further gave me concern. I would have to go back and look but there were (IMO) so many other needs and better players we could have taken instead. My guess is Shanahan took him as a project but for me i just knew the dude wasnt going to pan out. Sometimes you can just look at a player and his persona/drive and know they are not going to be the stars they were at the college level. I understand at times taking a risk on a player (DT comes to mind) but Clarett to me was not a worthy gamble by any stretch.

A pet peeve of mine.

Where the F do you think 99% of NFL players come from?

As to the rest, clearly your feelings were correct. I thought it was a risk worth taking based on his play. Nothing else.

Northman
10-03-2014, 03:08 PM
A pet peeve of mine.

Where the F do you think 99% of NFL players come from?

I think you misunderstood what im saying. Point is, not every player who has success at the collegiate level has the same success in the NFL. The list of players who fail in the NFL is almost as big as the ones that do succeed. That was my point.

7DnBrnc53
10-04-2014, 03:26 AM
Since EA ended PC versions of Madden after '08, and I refuse to by a second computer that can ONLY play games, I'm still rocking '07 and thus still regularly reminded of two things about those teams:

1) I wasn't the only one who thought we had the NFLs best starting 4-3 LB trio; Wilson, DJ and Gold are all rated >90.
2) We weren't the only ones who thought Denvers DTs were awful, even worse than the DEs. Seriously, Brown has trade value (he somehow avoids the injury prone tag, and the actual Courtney Brown was decent when healthy) but Michael Myers or Demetrin Veal? "Veal" is a baby cow beaten till soft; IMHO, that's a good description of our Veal.

I love Shanny to death and still consider him a great coach—but any team hiring him should get a restraining order to keep him 100 yds from the defense at all times, because he has NO clue how to draft or run one. The 'Skins were overloaded with defensive talent when he took over but turned into Swiss cheese almost immediately; even high octane Shanny offenses couldn't make them competitive. More than his general draft decisions, this is the best argument against granting Shanny GM power (again, IMHO.) Remember trading up for Jarvis Moss? *shudder*

The thing is, without those space eaters in the middle it doesn't matter how good the DEs are at pass rushing: Opponents don't NEED to pass if they can consistently run up the gut for 5-6 yds at a time, and even if they can't, someone has to demand doubleteams so those smaller faster DEs don't get them instead, or get pushed past QBs who just step up into a nice comfy pocket as safe as their mothers womb.

In the 15 years between our last SB win and last SB appearance, the best DT we had was Trevor Pryce: A DE who hated being forced to play DT so much he left for more money at his preferred position. That's another depressing thing about playing Madden '07: Pryce and Keith Traylor are still in the league, but not in DENVER.

Happy days are here again on D now though; we've got elite starters at EVERY position, and plenty of quality depth behind most of them (the one thing our great starting LB trio didn't have a decade ago was decent backups, hence my screams for someone good enough to step in "if anything happens to Wilson" and our total lack of ANY Mike once injury ended his career.) Really, the only thing I'd change if I could is better run blocking inside (I'd like to have Moreno, but we wouldn't need him with good run blocking.)

You should look online for a Playstation 2. Slims are only around 35-40 dollars. Then, you can get some newer copies.

Another thing that I remember about the Shanny-era defenses was the 2007 season and Jim Bates. They trade Warren because he doesn't fit that scheme, and they brought in Sam Adams, who was washed-up. They also brought in Big Daddy Dan Wilkinson as well around that time, but he didn't play a game for Denver.

sneakers
10-04-2014, 06:42 AM

Gore's leg was filled with more metal than The Terminator entering the draft. So it was easier to not draft him

Joel
10-04-2014, 04:35 PM
You should look online for a Playstation 2. Slims are only around 35-40 dollars. Then, you can get some newer copies.
It's a matter of principle as much as money, and the knowledge even a brand new state of the art game system would be selling online for $35 by this time next year. I grew up with an Atari 2600 while my parents were getting CS degrees in the mid-eighties, so I know how Moores Law works, and nowhere is it more ironclad than in gaming, because we're talking about people with disposable income to spend on the best quality graphics and sound they can consequently demand. The only good news there is it justifies and finances R&D that filters into general computer use a few years later.

Another thing that I remember about the Shanny-era defenses was the 2007 season and Jim Bates. They trade Warren because he doesn't fit that scheme, and they brought in Sam Adams, who was washed-up. They also brought in Big Daddy Dan Wilkinson as well around that time, but he didn't play a game for Denver.
Well, bringing in Adams and Wilkinson were good ideas as far as they went, but a few years too late. Most fans and too many GMs may not value top flight DTs, but the execs who care enough about winning to know how consequently know the value of those boring cloggers who tie up blockers so their DEs and OLBs can get highlight reel sacks. Any time we see a Pro Bowl DT released and available on the FA market for $1-2 million, it's a safe bet he's a FORMER Pro Bowler who'll never see another.

Bottom line is teams can't cheap out on a championship, ESPECIALLY not in the trenches. Pity our only new investment there was Vasquez; he's good, and so's Clady, but 2/5 ain't good enough.