PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' Aqib Talib fined for throwing elbow vs. Seahawks

Denver Native (Carol)
09-27-2014, 02:40 PM
Broncos cornerback Aqib Talib was fined $8,268 by the NFL for unnecessary roughness in last Sunday's game against the Seahawks in Seattle, according to ProFootballTalk.com.

The incident came late the fourth quarter, during a Seahawks drive on first-and-10. Talib went flying to the left after a pileup and dropped an elbow on a Seattle player. He was issued a 12-yard penalty on the play.

While on the Coors Light Aqib Talib Show on ESPN Radio earlier this past week, Talib denied throwing an elbow and hoped to avoid such a fine.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_26618587/broncos-aqib-talib-fined-throwing-elbow-vs-seahawks

:tsk::tsk::tsk::tsk::tsk:

NightTrainLayne
09-27-2014, 02:44 PM
Talib deserved a fine for that. Can't figure out how he's denying he did it. It was pretty blatant. That's okay, he's still a great addition to the team.

weazel
09-27-2014, 02:57 PM
and there were people on here at the time saying he didn't do anything. lol

Joel
09-27-2014, 03:42 PM
and there were people on here at the time saying he didn't do anything. lol
He didn't, unless we count falling over in a scrum for a loose ball; if Earl Thomas intentionally throwing his shoulder into a defenseless players head doesn't merit a fine, Talib sure as HELL doesn't.

At this point, I assume Carroll has pics of Goodell engaged in pedophilia; it's the only thing that explains looking the other way as Seattle wins SBs as the new and injuiced Raiders while the NFL tries to drive Welker out of the League even if it must turns his brain to jello to do it.

MOtorboat
09-27-2014, 05:46 PM
So the Seahawks walk away with zero fines for headshots, but Talib gets a fine for an elbow to the ribs.

DenBronx
09-27-2014, 06:02 PM
I think Joel and Mo agree on something finally.

Joel
09-27-2014, 06:07 PM
I'm as surprised as you are! :tongue:

Denver Native (Carol)
09-27-2014, 06:10 PM
So the Seahawks walk away with zero fines for headshots, but Talib gets a fine for an elbow to the ribs.

My thinking also. Found the following. Looks like the Seattle fans were thrilled to get the crew they got for the game
http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seahawks/2014/09/18/referee-for-seahawks-broncos-game-is-bill-vinovich/

Joel
09-27-2014, 06:20 PM
My thinking also. Found the following. Looks like the Seattle fans were thrilled to get the crew they got for the game
http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seahawks/2014/09/18/referee-for-seahawks-broncos-game-is-bill-vinovich/

Seattle, though, has yet to have a penalty called against its secondary, something that may come as a surprise given all of the preseason talk that there would be an emphasis on calling defensive pass interference and illegal contact (Seattle’s one pass interference penalty came against Wagner in the Green Bay game).
Pathetic.

BroncoWave
09-27-2014, 06:41 PM

I'm starting to think Pete Carroll has some serious dirt on Goodell. I don't see how Seattle is never fined or penalized for anything they do on defense.

Simple Jaded
09-27-2014, 06:57 PM
The only team not effected by the new Seahawks Rules are the Seattle Seahawks.

Joel
09-27-2014, 08:00 PM
The only team not effected by the new Seahawks Rules are the Seattle Seahawks.
Which is seriously messed up, and 90% of why SF is keeps screaming, "CALL IT BOTH WAYS!" Were I doing all the same things in the same division but getting flags, fines and suspensions while my opponents got the division title, conference championship and SB Rings, I'd be equally outraged. Everyone else must play flag football while Seattle gets to use 1970s rules allowing cheap shots and PEDs: Of COURSE they "won" on a playing field that titled in their favor.

TXBRONC
09-27-2014, 08:37 PM

What's next? Cats and dogs living together in harmony? :shocked:

Denver Native (Carol)
09-27-2014, 08:44 PM
http://12thmanrising.com/2014/09/27/aqib-talib-fined-earl-thomas-hits-seahawks-broncos-game/

Video of hit

Joel
09-27-2014, 09:45 PM
I'm still unconvinced it IS a "hit," legal or otherwise. If anything, it looks like he saw the guy while falling, tried to land a little further wide and MISSED the helmet. If he was trying to drop an elbow on the dude's head, he did a bad job of it, but dropping an elbow on a HELMET with the force of ones body behind it seems like a good way to break an arm or dislocate an elbow; can't imagine it was intentional.

Y'know, like Thomas launching a padded shoulder into Welkers skull; THAT was deliberate. I get why the NFL chose to flag and fine one but not the other though, given Millers recent history of severe career- and health-threatening injuries, and rules changes in multiple recent seasons to end the epidemic of players concussing people with elbow-drops. The hit on Welker was a rare incident the NFL hasn't been similarly and publicly deterring because of its recent billion-dollar brain trauma settlement, and Welkers never had health isues like Zach Millers. :rolleyes:

Note to NFL refs: "Blow one down there, blow one down here" doesn't mean "ignore a team doing something the NFL's wetting itself about but flag and fine the other for a non-foul on the other end."

NightTrainLayne
09-27-2014, 10:58 PM
I'm still unconvinced it IS a "hit," legal or otherwise. If anything, it looks like he saw the guy while falling, tried to land a little further wide and MISSED the helmet. If he was trying to drop an elbow on the dude's head, he did a bad job of it, but dropping an elbow on a HELMET with the force of ones body behind it seems like a good way to break an arm or dislocate an elbow; can't imagine it was intentional.

Y'know, like Thomas launching a padded shoulder into Welkers skull; THAT was deliberate. I get why the NFL chose to flag and fine one but not the other though, given Millers recent history of severe career- and health-threatening injuries, and rules changes in multiple recent seasons to end the epidemic of players concussing people with elbow-drops. The hit on Welker was a rare incident the NFL hasn't been similarly and publicly deterring because of its recent billion-dollar brain trauma settlement, and Welkers never had health isues like Zach Millers. :rolleyes:

Note to NFL refs: "Blow one down there, blow one down here" doesn't mean "ignore a team doing something the NFL's wetting itself about but flag and fine the other for a non-foul on the other end."

Good grief. It's pretty blatant and obvious.

Joel
09-28-2014, 09:39 AM
Good grief. It's pretty blatant and obvious.
Agreed; I'm still going with "Carroll has compromising photos of Goodell." From the video, I'm not even sure Talib made ANY hit, legal or otherwise; it's pretty blatant and obvious Thomas made one on Welker though, and deliberately, not while off balance and falling.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-28-2014, 11:52 AM
http://12thmanrising.com/2014/09/27/aqib-talib-fined-earl-thomas-hits-seahawks-broncos-game/

Video of hit

from DP article

"I didn't drop an elbow," he said. "I hit the pile. The momentum of the pile made me fall to the left, and I just fell on the ground. I didn't drop an elbow. That's how I saw it. ... They fine guys for elbows and stuff nowadays."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_26618587/broncos-aqib-talib-fined-throwing-elbow-vs-seahawks

That's exactly how it looks to me when watching the video. Does not appear to me that Talib did this on purpose.

Joel
09-28-2014, 11:55 AM
from DP article

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_26618587/broncos-aqib-talib-fined-throwing-elbow-vs-seahawks

That's exactly how it looks to me when watching the video. Does not appear to me that Talib did this on purpose.
That's how it looked to me at the time, and how it still looks. Note the Seattle Times included no video of Thomas' deliberate blow to the defenseless oft-concussed Welkers head; surely just an oversight....

Joel
09-28-2014, 12:03 PM
Found this at MHR; it pretty much says the same thing I've been saying all along: The NFL source statement Thomas' hit was legal because Welker wasn't a defenseless receiver since the ball WAS already intercepted and Thomas didn't make an illegal blindside block because the ball was NOT intercepted yet completely CONTRADICTS itself. The ball can't be intercepted and not intercepted at the SAME TIME.
http://www.milehighreport.com/2014/9/23/6835003/wes-welker-hit-penalty-earl-thomas-broncos-seahawks

Also (and once again,) the text of the defenseless player rule (which Carol, unlike the NFL, helpfully cited in that thread) doesn't require a catch to be made, only that the player is attempting one.

gregbroncs
10-01-2014, 02:35 AM
When I saw it in the game I thought it was intentional and that he would be fined for it. However not fining Thomas for his hit to Welker makes this fine a complete joke. Either they are both worthy of a fine or neither of them are. And Thomas' hit had a lot more potential for serious injury, making it so that fine should be greater IMO.