PDA

View Full Version : Moral Victory.

BroncoWave
09-21-2014, 07:09 PM
Do you consider this game a moral victory?

Northman
09-21-2014, 07:11 PM
Dont know if its a moral victory but showed some good things and showed some things we still need to work on.

BroncoWave
09-21-2014, 07:11 PM
For me, I usually consider "moral victories" an absolute crock, but I consider this game one. We had to prove that we could go into Seattle and match their physicality, and we did just that. We showed major balls to take it into OT and were just unlucky to lose the toss. Despite the fact we lost, I think this was the best game we have played so far. I am pretty encouraged going forward.

MOtorboat
09-21-2014, 07:13 PM
No such thing.

But this team belongs with the best.

Simple Jaded
09-21-2014, 07:18 PM
I think it only serves to prove what the Broncos felt all along, it may make us fans feel better but the team has been defiant to common perception since Feb 2nd.

When they get the running game going this is the most complete team, imo.

Hawgdriver
09-21-2014, 07:34 PM
No such thing.

But this team belongs with the best.

Typical dismissive Mo. Doesn't attempt to transact, just increase his own account.

DenBronx
09-21-2014, 07:34 PM
Yes. The game was winnable in their backyard and not 43-8.

Not mad and still a long year. We do look better in some areas. Would like to see us bring the house and blitz more. 2-1 heading into the bye week and I believe we will win 13 games this year.

MOtorboat
09-21-2014, 07:35 PM
Typical dismissive Mo. Doesn't attempt to transact, just increase his own account.

What would you like me to "transact?"

Hawgdriver
09-21-2014, 07:35 PM
It was a moral victory if that means we lost but still gained something.

Hawgdriver
09-21-2014, 07:36 PM
What would you like me to "transact?"

Eh, meeting people at their level. Now I feel like a dick.

aberdien
09-21-2014, 07:36 PM
Moral victories exist and this was one.

atwater27
09-21-2014, 07:37 PM
Couldn't be prouder of the team. Across the board. I think Demaryius pulled a semi disappearing act, and our playcalling was questionable as usual, especially the obvious 1st down up the gut draws. But our D was money, absolute money. If not for a perfect pass by Wilson and his ridiculous running skills, we should have won. In Seattle. questionable referee calls as well. The offsides that was called and then not called. still allowing the hawks to molest receivers. Oh well. I'll take an OT loss in Seattle that prepares us for them in the Super Bowl again. On a neutral field. With confidence.

MOtorboat
09-21-2014, 07:37 PM
It was a moral victory if that means we lost but still gained something.

I think a moral victory is a myth. Is it OK to have that opinion, or do I not have your permission to do so?

Denver belongs with the best in the league. I think this game proved that. It's not really a moral victory (which, again, I don't think is anything at all), but more proof that Denver is a whole hell of a lot better than many on this message board says it is.

Nomad
09-21-2014, 07:39 PM
BRONCOS could have given up at the half knowing what happened in the SB and the first half. It's a keeping-your-heads-up going into one the most difficult places to play, coming back in the 4th and sending it to OT. BRONCOS still need work. A long season left, I can't believe next week is a BYE week.:tsk:

Hawgdriver
09-21-2014, 07:41 PM
I think a moral victory is a myth. Is it OK to have that opinion, or do I not have your permission to do so?

Denver belongs with the best in the league. I think this game proved that. It's not really a moral victory (which, again, I don't think is anything at all), but more proof that Denver is a whole hell of a lot better than many on this message board says it is.

Gotcha. Fair point. You just come across as too superior to mingle with the rest of us, too dismissive, and it got my goat. I'm sure it's not the first time that's happened, and not the last.

Northman
09-21-2014, 07:43 PM
Gotcha. Fair point. You just come across as too superior to mingle with the rest of us, too dismissive, and it got my goat. I'm sure it's not the first time that's happened, and not the last.

Mo trys to compensate for his size. Give him a break.

MOtorboat
09-21-2014, 07:45 PM
Mo trys to compensate for his size. Give him a break.

Go **** yourself.

Am I right?

broncosinindy
I made fun of chiefs fans with them talking moral victories last year. Its a win or loss on my eyes. Cause at the end of the day that's how they'll be measured

Hawgdriver
:lol:

I love you guys.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
09-21-2014, 07:46 PM
I was disappointed in the immediate aftermath of the game but week three of the regular season, I'm not letting it bother me as much. Lots of positives to take out of this game.

- Offensively we were ineffective for the majority of the first half save for our second posession of the game and our two TD drives in the 4th quarter but it looks like we found something in Seattle's cover schemes that we can exploit should we meet up with them again.

- Defensively, while we didn't get consistent pressure on Wilson, we showed an ability to contain him and limit his effectiveness with his feet. Coverage in the secondary could have been better, especially on that little screen play Seattle chewed us up on over and over again but for the most part the boys were damn good.

- Toughness wise we showed that we can walk into a hostile environment and go pound for pound with the toughest teams in the toughest division in football.

- Resiliency wise this team showed that it is never down and out and can adapt to a top notch opponent. It would have been easy to fold up shop in the 4th quarter but these boys gave it everything they had and then some to fight back.

- Von Miller is starting to look like his old self. Wore down as the game went on but saw flashes of that explosiveness off the line again.

- TJ Ward, Talib and Ware all proving they're difference makers on the defense. They all play hard, fast and make big plays, exactly what we need if we're going to win in January and February.

- We can only get better. Offensively, defensively still not firing on all cylinders and very nearly knocked off Seattle at home.

Use the bye week to get better and come back aftwerwards with even more motivation to make this season a special one.

Northman
09-21-2014, 07:47 PM
Go **** yourself.

Am I right?

Now your getting it you ******* midget.

Nomad
09-21-2014, 07:48 PM
The Bye Week in Week 4 is what kills me. I know some team has to do it, but I'd rather Week 7 or 8....yeah I know all the cliches:lol:

Shazam!
09-21-2014, 07:49 PM
No moral victory, that would have been the case if they kept it close and lost by 3. It sucks losing like that.

For the team to expend so much to tie it only to lose ****ing blows. They lost on a coin flip!

Edmonton Bronco Fan
09-21-2014, 07:55 PM
No moral victory, that would have been the case if they kept it close and lost by 3. It sucks losing like that.

For the team to expend so much to tie it only to lose ****ing blows. They lost on a coin flip!

That's what bugs me the most. Think the offense would have ended it had we won the toss.

dogfish
09-21-2014, 08:01 PM
don't make me put you all in time out. . .

i'll turn this car around right now!

and no, it wasn't a ****ing moral victory. . . we had enough talent to win the game, and lost because we gameplanned like cowards. . .

granted, the resilience we showed in the face of adversity could benefit us down the road. . . and the defense showed tremendous promise-- even in a loss, we didn't come up all negatives by any means. . . we still lost a game that should have been circled on every calendar, though, and a close loss in OT is the same L on your record as a blowout. . .

aberdien
09-21-2014, 08:09 PM
Last year, I don't think we come back like we did today. Games like today create toughness.

BroncoWave
09-21-2014, 08:10 PM
At the very least we have proved that we have DEFINITELY closed the gap on Seattle compared to where we were in February. That can only be a positive going forward.

GEM
09-21-2014, 08:16 PM
Losing 3 1/2 quarters, then getting your head out of your ass on offense, only to stick your head up prevent defenses ass in overtime is not a victory. Moral or otherwise. Get the shit together for 4 freak in quarters. Stop trying to force a run game that isn't working. Stop putting the defense on its heels because the offense can't keep them off the field. How do we go from all time best offense to this shit? Why do we have our heads stuck up Montee Ball's ass? Why doesn't Del Rio have enough confidence to stay the hell away from prevent dipshitedness? Thanks to last minutes heroics, we were in the game, that doesn't delete the other 58 minutes.

BroncoWave
09-21-2014, 08:19 PM
Losing 3 1/2 quarters, then getting your head out of your ass on offense, only to stick your head up prevent defenses ass in overtime is not a victory. Moral or otherwise. Get the shit together for 4 freak in quarters. Stop trying to force a run game that isn't working. Stop putting the defense on its heels because the offense can't keep them off the field. How do we go from all time best offense to this shit? Why do we have our heads stuck up Montee Ball's ass? Why doesn't Del Rio have enough confidence to stay the hell away from prevent dipshitedness? Thanks to last minutes heroics, we were in the game, that doesn't delete the other 58 minutes.

I don't see how you can have much of a complaint with JDR in this game. Other than not keeping a spy on Wilson, I can't really fault his gameplan. Seattle's two TD in the first half were both just great passed on well-defended plays.

If someone had told you before the game that we hold Seattle to 20 points in regulation, would you not have taken that? I would have taken my chances that our offense could muster up 21 points. I definitely put the blame here on our offensive coaching instead of defensive.

GEM
09-21-2014, 08:36 PM
I don't see how you can have much of a complaint with JDR in this game. Other than not keeping a spy on Wilson, I can't really fault his gameplan. Seattle's two TD in the first half were both just great passed on well-defended plays.

If someone had told you before the game that we hold Seattle to 20 points in regulation, would you not have taken that? I would have taken my chances that our offense could muster up 21 points. I definitely put the blame here on our offensive coaching instead of defensive.

He was great until ot. I hate when he decides to go into prevent.

BroncoWave
09-21-2014, 08:38 PM

Were we running prevent in OT? I could swear we were rushing at least 4 if not 5 on some plays. We just weren't able to get to Russell and he was making us pay. I thought the D we played against KC of rushing 3 and dropping 8 every play was way more egregious than anything we saw tonight.

GEM
09-21-2014, 08:41 PM
It looked a lot like prevent to me. They ate us up on intermediary.

GEM
09-21-2014, 08:42 PM
Can't really put this on the d though, you're right.

Hawgdriver
Were we running prevent in OT? I could swear we were rushing at least 4 if not 5 on some plays. We just weren't able to get to Russell and he was making us pay. I thought the D we played against KC of rushing 3 and dropping 8 every play was way more egregious than anything we saw tonight.

Yeah, if anything, it was a base defense scheme error. Why no spy on Wilson? Why constant release valve action in the flat? Honestly it seemed flat dumb, but I'm no coach. Just my eyes told me their plan was weak, they hit the same thing on several occasions--Wilson escapes pocket and runs, or Wilson escapes pocket and hit flat, or pressure comes and Wilson hits cross on right side or first down.

MOtorboat

"Prevent" isn't a scheme.

Denver was playing off, but they played off the whole game. Soft man, some zone if I'm not mistaken. Seattle found the soft spots when they needed to. Pass rush was also non-existent in OT, probably gassed.

BroncoJoe
09-21-2014, 08:43 PM

They're play calling was a 180 degree turn in OT.

aberdien
09-21-2014, 08:45 PM
http://www.cubbytees.com/ShirtPieces/I_Am_Dangeruss_Russell_Wilson--ZM--TURF.jpg

BroncoWave
09-21-2014, 08:47 PM
Yeah, if anything, it was a base defense scheme error. Why no spy on Wilson? Why constant release valve action in the flat? Honestly it seemed flat dumb, but I'm no coach. Just my eyes told me their plan was weak, they hit the same thing on several occasions--Wilson escapes pocket and runs, or Wilson escapes pocket and hit flat, or pressure comes and Wilson hits cross on right side or first down.

Yeah, not putting a spy on Wilson was the biggest gripe I had. That could have really eliminated some of his big runs. Other than that though, I thought this was easily the best game our D has played this year.

Hawgdriver
09-21-2014, 08:52 PM
I thought this was easily the best game our D has played this year.

You and me both. Hats off to a true defense!

mouthofsouth
09-21-2014, 08:56 PM
This is what I saw today. The Broncos came very close to pulling it out after being 14 behind in the stadium that is the most difficult one to play in because of the crowd noise, and against the Super Bowl Champs. This says to me that the Broncos should not lose another game this year. They will not play any more games this year in such a place and/or against such a team. That is not to say they will go undefeated the rest of the way. They have to play with the intensity they played with today. They should be able to go into Foxboro and beat the Patriots, but they will have to remember last year's game in Foxboro and take it to them. I was pleased with the performance today. Just wish Peyton and company would have gotten a chance in OT.

BTW, a team should never have to play Seattle at home and battle the officials, too. That was an awful no call of Seattle offsides, that turned the ball over to them when Denver had a first down and was driving. That one bad call might have been the game.

Nomad
09-21-2014, 09:03 PM
Rodney Harrison and Coach Dungy believe in moral victories.

BroncoJoe
09-21-2014, 09:05 PM
Not sure how to define a "moral victory", but in their house, with that crowd and the team they have? We did better than I expected.

chazoe60
09-21-2014, 09:12 PM
Shitty gameplan, defense caved, Manning ****** up our best chance to win. Nope, no moral victory at all. It was a damn shitty game is what it was. The gameplan was downright embarrassing.

BroncoWave
09-21-2014, 09:17 PM
Shitty gameplan, defense caved, Manning ****** up our best chance to win. Nope, no moral victory at all. It was a damn shitty game is what it was. The gameplan was downright embarrassing.

Uh-oh, post-super bowl chazoe has showed his head. :D

BroncoJoe
09-21-2014, 09:19 PM

You're embarrassing.

(personal attack, but in fun)

chazoe60
09-21-2014, 09:20 PM
I'm perfectly calm. Just calling ems as I sees ems.

jhildebrand
09-21-2014, 09:20 PM
A moral victory would be learning from the mistake that was the Baltimore PO game. A moral victory would be learning from the SD loss late last year. Moral victories are only worthwhile if they are a learning point and don't continue happening!

dogfish
09-21-2014, 09:22 PM
I'm perfectly calm. Just calling ems as I sees ems.

at least you aren't renouncing your fanhood again, jackass. . .

:heh: :hahaha: :laugh:

:salute:

TXBRONC
09-21-2014, 09:22 PM
I don't believe in moral victories but I do believe good things can come out of a defeat and propel a team on to better things.

chazoe60
09-21-2014, 09:25 PM
at least you aren't renouncing your fanhood again, jackass. . .

:heh: :hahaha: :laugh:

:salute:
I never renounced my fan hood I said I needed to quit being so emotionally invested, and I have.

****, make one drunken thread after a gut wrenching playoff loss and nobody shuts the **** up about for two ******* years.

dogfish
09-21-2014, 09:26 PM
I don't believe in moral victories but I do believe good things can come out of a defeat and propel a team on to better things.

i'd say that's accurate. . .

i just hope JFE knocks some sense into our gameplanners over the bye week. . .

Nomad
09-21-2014, 09:26 PM
chazoe is invested into Rifle football:D

dogfish
09-21-2014, 09:27 PM
I never renounced my fan hood I said I needed to quit being so emotionally invested, and I have.

****, make one drunken thread after a gut wrenching playoff loss and nobody shuts the **** up about for two ******* years.

you mean five years. . . you got a ways to go. . . :D :heh:

chazoe60
09-21-2014, 09:29 PM

At least they win.

dogfish
09-21-2014, 09:29 PM

'til he gets banned for going soccer dad on some poor unsuspecting fool. . .

silkamilkamonico
09-21-2014, 09:34 PM
I hope nobody considers this a moral victory.

It was a flat out good game. One team had to win. Both teams played very well at different points of the game.

gregbroncs
09-21-2014, 09:35 PM
Moral victories are for losers. I'd rather them learn from this get pissed off about this and improve than start thinking they accomplished something by coming close.

Lots of nice things in this game but the bottom line is it wasn't enough. A loss is a loss not some mythical victory while losing.

G_Money
09-21-2014, 09:36 PM
The Broncos could have rolled over and died down 17-3 in an opposing stadium. They went in at halftime, got their shit together, and almost pulled out the victory. Would have, with a couple of different calls (ie, the fumble on the goal line that we apparently didn't really recover, or getting some goddamn holding or offsides calls).

I wasn't sure about the fight in these Broncos, not after our ridiculous 2nd halves the last few weeks. We were okay when on top but not when the other team started putting up a fight. Classic glass jaw puncher... but not today.

Today we fought for 60 minutes. We might not have always had the best tactics (get your shit together, Gase and Manning) but no lack of heart here.

That's very, VERY important. We beat any other team in the league today, just not that one. Not today. Maybe in February. Third time's the charm.

Until then, at least we found our stones, strapped on our jock and fought it out. We play like that the rest of the year and I'm not worried about too much. I don't believe in moral victories, but I do believe in measuring sticks. The Hawks took our measure today - that's what the Super Bowl should have been like. And that's what we'd better play like the rest of the way if we plan to win one this year. We now know how we have to play, defensively and offensively. And our coaching staff can now blatantly see where they're falling short.

As a learning experience, I'll take it. 2-1 into the break is what I expected, and we can take what we learned, make some wrinkles during the off week, and apply it to the rough schedule on the other side.

Go Broncos. Today wasn't the Super Bowl, it was a chance to get our shit together, and we hopefully did that.

Let's see again in victory in 2 weeks. :salute:

~G

tripp
09-21-2014, 09:39 PM
You know, last week after we just stopped the Chiefs from driving down the field in the 4th to end the game, we all said it, we all said there is no way we have a chance against Seattle next week if we played like we have the past 2 weeks.

Well, let`s face it, we were a different team this week. Not exactly as explosive as we have been in the first drive, but this was a competitive football game. It was CLOSE to becoming a joke, when it was 17-3, until that safety. We just showed the NFL outside of the O.T. drive, that our Defense is a force to be reckoned with. No doubt about that.

I`m still extremely bitter about losing in O.T. without a chance of even seeing the ball, but that`s the way it works if you call the coin toss correctly. Our run game is still a joke, and I question some throws Manning had thrown, BUT, we took the Seahawks to O.T. in their barn. Call it what you want, but we DESERVED to be considered one of the best, even when we're not at our best. The composure by Manning and Demaryius in the game tying drive was outstanding.

DenBronx
09-21-2014, 10:31 PM

By 3 or 6 it doesnt matter...it was one score. You said it yourself "they lost the coin flip." So how much stock do you put in that? Had we called heads who knows what would have happened???

amirite??

Shazam!
09-21-2014, 10:38 PM

By 3 or 6 it doesnt matter...it was one score. You said it yourself "they lost the coin flip." So how much stock do you put in that? Had we called heads who knows what would have happened???

amirite??

Yes, but it's still feeling like we threw victory in the jaws of defeat. Just a hard loss to swallow. I'm sure no one on the team felt like it was a 'moral victory '.

atwater27
09-21-2014, 10:40 PM
Yeah, not putting a spy on Wilson was the biggest gripe I had. That could have really eliminated some of his big runs. Other than that though, I thought this was easily the best game our D has played this year.

Russel can be damn near indefensible at times. He is the perfect QB for his system. I mean, we played him perfectly and he still got his.

OrangeHoof
09-21-2014, 11:31 PM
While I'm not really into "moral victories", this was close enough to get the Super Bowl stench out of our mouths. We know now that on a neutral field, like the next Super Bowl, we can play with these guys.

Only a fool thought we were going undefeated so a loss like this is probably the easiest to stomach. It's not even a loss in our conference so I'm satisfied that we came back only to lose a close one to an excellent team.

MOtorboat
09-21-2014, 11:35 PM
Yes, but it's still feeling like we threw victory in the jaws of defeat. Just a hard loss to swallow. I'm sure no one on the team felt like it was a 'moral victory '.

Um.

Denver was down by two touchdowns and took it to overtime in a place where no one wins and no one thought Denver would win, so I'm not sure how that can really be all that hard to swallow.

broncosinindy
09-21-2014, 11:47 PM
Keeping everything in front of you and allowing cushions and allowing screens and roll out screams prevent

Shazam!
09-21-2014, 11:49 PM

Um.

Denver was down by two touchdowns and took it to overtime in a place where no one wins and no one thought Denver would win, so I'm not sure how that can really be all that hard to swallow.

Jesus MO must you be contrary just to be contrary?

As I said before, to do all they did to come back and not even have an opportunity in OT to win, just sucks, but I'm sure you are happy with it.

broncosinindy
09-21-2014, 11:51 PM
chazoe is invested into Rifle football:Droaring fork football is still better.. Or was when I went to school.

Go Rams!

Timmy!
09-22-2014, 02:28 AM
Pretty much an echo from me. Team showed some gigantic huevos when it could have folded. Play calling was questionable waaaaaay too often, and there are obviously areas to improve. Overall, this is a Ferrari running on 11 cylinders, its sexy, fast, and will turn heads, but it is still missing. If we can get that last cylinder to fire, watch out

Canmore
09-22-2014, 05:01 AM
There are no moral victories. We lost...again. No style points.

It is only week three.

Northman
09-22-2014, 05:10 AM

Yea, that was pretty embarrassing.

MasterShake
09-22-2014, 09:21 AM

True, we may not get points for losing but if we played again you can bet the last memory I have of a hard fought OT loss gives me more hope than that dark day in February. I am about as satisfied as you can be with a loss because it felt more like a heavyweight fight that came down to scoring instead of a knockout.

tripp
09-22-2014, 09:37 AM
The only good thing about all of this is the fact that we played them early in the season. I'm glad we have a bye week to give Demaryius Thomas time to heal his foot, and hopefully, I pray, we take a look at the plays we're calling, and start to take some plays out of the book that aren't working, and start to implement new ones that have a chance of working.

BroncoNut
09-22-2014, 09:57 AM

totally. Mo is a series of arrogant replies only. he has his followers though.

BroncoNut
09-22-2014, 09:59 AM

defense caved? other than that, kinda agree. pretty one dimensional offensively. Welker and Sanders had particularly nice games.

EastCoastBronco
09-22-2014, 10:29 AM
The only good thing about all of this is the fact that we played them early in the season. I'm glad we have a bye week to give Demaryius Thomas time to heal his foot, and hopefully, I pray, we take a look at the plays we're calling, and start to take some plays out of the book that aren't working, and start to implement new ones that have a chance of working.

And for the love of all that is good and beautiful stop running the goddamn ball on third and long!
If I see that play or one of those bubble screens again on third down, when we have Sanders, Thomas, Thomas and Welker on the field...ARGHHHH!

MOtorboat
09-22-2014, 10:33 AM
Jesus MO must you be contrary just to be contrary?

As I said before, to do all they did to come back and not even have an opportunity in OT to win, just sucks, but I'm sure you are happy with it.

I'm not being contrary to be contrary. Happy is not the right word, but in the grand scheme of what is hopefully a 19 game season, it's just not that hard of a loss.

Cugel
09-22-2014, 10:50 AM

I have to agree with this. This isn't the '70s man. You're not going to win many games scoring 18 points on offense. So, this loss falls really on the offense once again. The game plan was too conservative. I was cursing every time they handed the ball off to Montee Ball for a run up the middle.

I was counting Seahawk defenders in the box , "6, 7, 8" on every snap. They were doing exactly what they did in the Super Bowl - put 7, 8, sometimes even 9 men in the box and defy the Broncos to throw over the top of them for big plays. Once again Denver rarely even tried to burn them deep. Instead they tried to dink and dunk and run into the teeth of a 7 man front. No wonder it didn't work for 3 quarters.

When they opened up the offense in the 4th quarter suddenly the Seahawks were forced back on their heels and gave up some big plays. The ONLY way to force a defense to play honest and not cheat with 8 men in the box to smother the underneath passes is to throw over the top of them. And that requires you to give your QB time to throw downfield and for receivers to come open. They should have come out in the 1st quarter and thrown a few deep passes just to loosen up the defense.

Still overall, there's clearly not a lot of distance between these two teams, and that was not true in February.

As I've said all offseason, the Broncos don't have to be better than the Seahawks in Seattle on week 3, they have to be better on a neutral field in week 19. Going into a Super Bowl you can't say really who would be favored in a re-match. And that's a huge step forward for the team.

Hawgdriver
09-22-2014, 11:10 AM
If I see that play or one of those bubble screens again on third down, when we have Sanders, Thomas, Thomas and Welker on the field...ARGHHHH!

The bubble screen can be an explosive play. Don't delete it from the ipad, just use a little more discrimination.

Krugan
09-22-2014, 11:33 AM
Voted No solely on the idea that these guys are pros and expect to win every week.

Accepting this as a moral victory, would to me, mean they had resigned to defeat.

It was for me, as a fan, I suppose.

BroncoNut
09-22-2014, 11:37 AM
I say no because aren't we supposed to be competitive?

CCMO
09-22-2014, 11:42 AM
What this game provided was a good chance for the players and coaches to reassess where the are and where they need to go. They now have a week to work on those areas, I know that Manning will work his rear off, with the Offence working on areas of weakness, like run blocking.....I hope the Defensive team will do the same....

All that matters is who gets in the year end tournament.....everything else is really irrelevant. Manning, Fox, and Elway all understand that better then most!

Valar Morghulis
09-22-2014, 11:46 AM
i dont see it as a moralvictory - but i liked a lot of what i saw, just so happened i alsp thought we looked pedestrian at times.

in other news - Ward is a monster

Hawgdriver
09-22-2014, 01:03 PM
Moral victory is ill-defined, so the thread is kinda pointless, but . .

If there was a game to call a "moral victory", this has got to be it. Showed grit and shut up the "too soft, not NFC West-worthy physical" argument. Went into the most hostile turf, took vicious body blows and a near-knockout punch to come back and punch the champ square in the nose (2 pt conversion on Sherman), forcing the fight to go to the scorecards. Demonstrated tough defense. Overcame bad calls.

I'm not a fan of the idea of moral victories either--games are won or lost. I'd be more content with my "yes" vote if the question was did the Broncos prove they belong? Or something like that. Good thread anyways.

Northman
09-22-2014, 01:07 PM
For me its only really a moral victory if we learn from it and end up meeting the Hawks again in the SB (this time winning). At this point for me its just a hard fought game in which we lost. We shall see how they rebound in 2 weeks.

Joel
09-22-2014, 01:59 PM
I say no because aren't we supposed to be competitive?
No kidding, man. After EVERYTHING we've done over the last three years; the PFM signing that INSTANTLY made us many peoples SB favorite, last years widely celebrated FA haul, an arguably better one this year, shattering a ton of NFL records last year—and now we're supposed to be happy just COMPETING? I'm glad our D played its guts out and kept us in that game (isn't it amazing how all our fans are suddenly convinced Seattles a multithreat offensive juggernaut now?) I'd DEEPLY disappointed historys best PASSING lost it because totally incapable of running.

aberdien
09-22-2014, 02:07 PM
Good lord.

BroncoNut
09-22-2014, 02:11 PM
No kidding, man. After EVERYTHING we've done over the last three years; the PFM signing that INSTANTLY made us many peoples SB favorite, last years widely celebrated FA haul, an arguably better one this year, shattering a ton of NFL records last year—and now we're supposed to be happy just COMPETING? I'm glad our D played its guts out and kept us in that game (isn't it amazing how all our fans are suddenly convinced Seattles a multithreat offensive juggernaut now?) I'd DEEPLY disappointed historys best PASSING lost it because totally incapable of running.
plus making a superbowl appearance last season (despite getting crushed). To have been blown away again would have been difficult to swallow I suppose, but if I understand the question correctly, I don't see how it was or should be a moral victory at this time.

Joel
09-22-2014, 02:17 PM
plus making a superbowl appearance last season (despite getting crushed). To have been blown away again would have been difficult to swallow I suppose, but if I understand the question correctly, I don't see how it was or should be a moral victory at this time.
The more I think of this, the more pissed I get; after ALL we've done since the start of our Manning Era (and before; we already HAD a first ballot HoFer, DRoY and All Pro LT) we're supposed to be cheering because "We didn't get blown out again; yea!" What the HELL is THAT?! Did the '80s permanently scar this fanbases psyche or something?

Moral victories are grossly inferior to ACTUAL victories; to quote Lombardi, "show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser."

MOtorboat
09-22-2014, 02:19 PM
Week 3.

aberdien
09-22-2014, 02:23 PM
The more I think of this, the more pissed I get; after ALL we've done since the start of our Manning Era (and before; we already HAD a first ballot HoFer, DRoY and All Pro LT) we're supposed to be cheering because "We didn't get blown out again; yea!" What the HELL is THAT?! Did the '80s permanently scar this fanbases psyche or something?

Moral victories are grossly inferior to ACTUAL victories; to quote Lombardi, "show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser."

It's almost like you can't understand the context behind this particular game.

Valar Morghulis
09-22-2014, 02:23 PM
whatever dudes - i am just loving these years of being a contender and i hope elway is right in that he "wants to win from now on" i have no expectations other than they compete as best they can.

NightTerror218
09-22-2014, 02:27 PM
Imagine if entire team a played an entire game like they do for half. We would be awesome. Offense/defense in first half of first two games. Defense second half yesterday.

I miss Travathen. Marshall is not him.

Joel
09-22-2014, 02:37 PM
It's almost like you can't understand the context behind this particular game.

Did this qualify as a moral victory after the 43-8 blowout in the Super Bowl? Knighton certainly didn't want a juice box and a condescending pat on the head. "You either win or you lose ... We're not saying, 'At least the score is better than the Super Bowl' or anything like that," Knighton insisted. http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_26579882/this-classic-had-everything-except-perfect-broncos-ending
Participation ribbons for EVERYONE! :) That's why we brought in PFM and dropped $60 million this year ALONE on Pro Bowl FAs.

BroncoJoe
09-22-2014, 04:54 PM
Participation ribbons for EVERYONE! :) That's why we brought in PFM and dropped $60 million this year ALONE on Pro Bowl FAs.

"We" didn't drop any $$.

Hawgdriver
09-22-2014, 05:01 PM
No such thing.

"Are you asking if there are moral victories?" coach John Fox said. "No there aren't."

:suspicious:

I'll be blunt. Mo do you write Fox's content?

MOtorboat
09-22-2014, 05:10 PM
:suspicious:

I'll be blunt. Mo do you write Fox's content?

Speech writer extraordinaire.

Joel
09-22-2014, 05:10 PM
"We" didn't drop any $$.
Yeah, OK; "we" didn't lose yesterday or get blown out 43-8 in the SB then.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-22-2014, 05:28 PM
I voted yes, because I was so nervous that we would be blown out. After the game, I was disappointed because I felt that the Broncos should have won, but beat themselves. I would have loved to have had the game here, rather than there.