PDA

View Full Version : Woodyard First LB To Make Pick In 2 Years

Lonestar
09-15-2009, 10:36 PM
By Matthew J. Buettner, cbs4denver.com
DENVER (CBS4) ―
In the Broncos quest to win the turnover battle this year they got an unexpected surprise Sunday against the Cincinnati Bengals. Wesley Woodyard hauled in an interception in the first half to become the first linebacker for the Broncos to pick off a pass in 2 years.

It was also the first turnover of the season for the Broncos and much of the credit can go to Champ Bailey for making it happen. Bailey got great position on Bengals' wide receiver Chad Ochocinco to make a deflection Woodyard's way.

"It's complimentary team defense football," Woodyard said. "Champ was in the right position to bat the ball down and it was just up to me to make the play."

Woodyard is also a big contributor on special teams and his teammates take notice.

"The passion that he plays with during the game … you don't find too many people like him out there who give maximum effort on each play," wide receiver Eddie Royal said. "I'm lucky to have him as a teammate."

The Broncos experimented with the 3-4 defense last year and didn't have a lot of success. That didn't seem to be the case against the Bengals as the 3-4 seemed to work very well.

"This year there are moving parts to it. We've got some of the similar guys we need to pull off a successful 3-4 defense," Woodyard said. "I think our defense is a more 'run around have fun' defense in this 3-4 scheme."

After the 2008 NFL draft Woodyard was signed by the Denver Broncos as an undrafted free agent.

The Broncos next take on the Cleveland Browns at Invesco Field at Mile High at 2:15 p.m. on Sunday.

http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/wesley.woodyard.broncos.2.1186435.html

Lonestar
09-15-2009, 10:37 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/video/?id=61961@kcnc.dayport.com

smith49
09-16-2009, 12:04 AM
im looking for big things from woodyard this season and so far he has not dissapointed. credit champ with a huge play, but woodyard still had to find the ball and catch it. the d looked pretty good if you ask me, and woodyard has been a good piece in that puzzle.

gobroncsnv
09-16-2009, 02:32 AM
I seem to remember that this happened a couple of years ago, as well. The first int by a LB for a LOOONG time. Would have been a miracle catch, but it also would have been outtasight if DJ would have one handed that pick at about Cincy's 5. Again, you can't fault the guy, but that would have been as much a great play or better than Stokes.
But yeah, our backers aren't known for having many picks. Is the 3-4 gonna change that?

NightTrainLayne
09-16-2009, 09:34 AM
Tony Sheffler: First INT by a Broncos Tight-end. .. ..ever?

Someone needs to look up that stat. :lol:

Requiem / The Dagda
09-16-2009, 09:38 AM
The lack of turnovers by our linebackers over the past several years was extremely frustrating. Not just turnovers, but big plays. It was nice seeing some TFL, sacks and turnovers happen from that group of players considering how mediocre they have been for the past several years. Thanks for the article.

Kaylore
09-16-2009, 10:56 AM
The lack of turnovers by our linebackers over the past several years was extremely frustrating. Not just turnovers, but big plays. It was nice seeing some TFL, sacks and turnovers happen from that group of players considering how mediocre they have been for the past several years. Thanks for the article.
Well firing Coyer didn't help. Champ had his best seasons under him and we actually had a top ten defense. Then putting Slowick the nitwit in charge, with Slowick's son in charge of the DB's because he's his son and has no experience at all, pretty much made the whole defense a bunch of idiots. Their entire approach to defense was to sit back and wait for a mistake. Nolan has them attacking. Not just in terms of blitzing but they are getting behind the LOS on run and pass plays and playing the ball in the secondary. It's nice to see a defense that you can have some faith in.

Day1BroncoFan
09-16-2009, 10:58 AM
It sure feels good to be talking about how many we'll get this year instead of how long it'll be before we get the first one isn't it?

:rockon:

Lonestar
09-16-2009, 11:48 AM
It sure feels good to be talking about how many we'll get this year instead of IFwe get the first one isn't it?

:rockon:

had slowitt still been here I, edited for accuracy

gobroncsnv
09-16-2009, 06:51 PM
One of Shanny's worst mistakes was getting rid of Coyer without letting him have a real Dline. The man knew how to use DB's, but part of why we lost important games was because of no pass rush.
So glad to see no more Winborn... We kept the right W... Woodyard. We just might have something to build on. I don't think we're COMPLETELY there, but closer than we've been in several years. Dooms has been VERY active. This is kind of cool.

topscribe
09-16-2009, 06:55 PM
By Matthew J. Buettner, cbs4denver.com
DENVER (CBS4) ―
In the Broncos quest to win the turnover battle this year they got an unexpected surprise Sunday against the Cincinnati Bengals. Wesley Woodyard hauled in an interception in the first half to become the first linebacker for the Broncos to pick off a pass in 2 years.

It was also the first turnover of the season for the Broncos and much of the credit can go to Champ Bailey for making it happen. Bailey got great position on Bengals' wide receiver Chad Ochocinco to make a deflection Woodyard's way.

"It's complimentary team defense football," Woodyard said. "Champ was in the right position to bat the ball down and it was just up to me to make the play."

Woodyard is also a big contributor on special teams and his teammates take notice.

"The passion that he plays with during the game … you don't find too many people like him out there who give maximum effort on each play," wide receiver Eddie Royal said. "I'm lucky to have him as a teammate."

The Broncos experimented with the 3-4 defense last year and didn't have a lot of success. That didn't seem to be the case against the Bengals as the 3-4 seemed to work very well.

"This year there are moving parts to it. We've got some of the similar guys we need to pull off a successful 3-4 defense," Woodyard said. "I think our defense is a more 'run around have fun' defense in this 3-4 scheme."

After the 2008 NFL draft Woodyard was signed by the Denver Broncos as an undrafted free agent.

The Broncos next take on the Cleveland Browns at Invesco Field at Mile High at 2:15 p.m. on Sunday.

http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/wesley.woodyard.broncos.2.1186435.html

Other than the misspelling of "complementary," it was a pretty good article. :laugh:

-----

DenBronx
09-16-2009, 07:01 PM
So far I love what I see from Nolan and this defense. Top 10 D here we come!

Lonestar
09-16-2009, 08:18 PM
So far I love what I see from Nolan and this defense. Top 10 D here we come!

I will be happy with anything above 20 this year.. might keep us in games that way..

but without a true experienced NT we will struggle..

now whether carter fills that hole down the road time will tell..

smith49
09-16-2009, 09:46 PM
I will be happy with anything above 20 this year.. might keep us in games that way..

but without a true experienced NT we will struggle..

now whether carter fills that hole down the road time will tell..

good point jr, but as of now (yes i realize we are only one game in) we have been able to stop the run pretty consistantly. the pass rush, ever since the first pre season game, has been light years above what it has been the past two seasons. so, hopefully not having that stud at the nose wont kill us.