PDA

View Full Version : Memo sent Thursday from Commissioner Goodell to teams and NFL staff:

Denver Native (Carol)
09-19-2014, 11:38 AM
"Subject: Long-Term Partnerships and Initial Educational Efforts on Domestic Violence/Sexual Assault

In my letter of August 28, I said we would ensure that everyone in the NFL has knowledge of and access to resources – both through and independent of the clubs -- relating to issues of domestic violence and sexual assault. I also said that we recognize that these issues affect our entire society, and that we would work to make a genuine and positive difference in a broader context. Today, I write to update you on some significant steps we are taking as part of our long-term commitment to help people affected by domestic violence and sexual assault.

It was brought to our attention that recent events caused The National Domestic Violence Hotline to receive 84 percent more calls during the week of September 8 – 15. According to the organization, more than 50 percent of those calls went unanswered due to lack of staff. That must not continue.

rest - https://www.facebook.com/AdamSchefter/posts/822274407825202

BeefStew25
09-19-2014, 11:46 AM
Carol have you ever hit a dude?

Denver Native (Carol)
09-19-2014, 11:52 AM
All NFL team personnel and staff will be required to undergo training on the prevention of domestic violence and sexual assault starting within 30 days, according to a letter commissioner Roger Goodell sent to team owners on Thursday.

Goodell will make his first public statements in more than a week about the rash of NFL players involved in domestic violence when he holds a news conference Friday (3 p.m. ET) in New York. His last public appearance was at a high school in North Carolina on Sept. 10.

The memo he issued Thursday says: "These initial sessions will begin to provide the men and women of the NFL with information and tools to understand and recognize domestic violence and sexual assault. We will work with the NFL Players Association to develop and present this training in the most effective way."

rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11551674/nfl-orders-domestic-abuse-awareness-training

Northman
09-19-2014, 12:27 PM
Bravo NFL, finally getting off your ass and addressing the problem in the league.

chazoe60
09-19-2014, 12:31 PM
Considering that NFL players are less likely to commit domestic violence than the general public I would say there is no domestic violence problem in the NFL. There are a few knuckleheads that need to be weeded out but this is by no means a league wide problem.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-19-2014, 12:36 PM
Considering that NFL players are less likely to commit domestic violence than the general public I would say there is no domestic violence problem in the NFL. There are a few knuckleheads that need to be weeded out but this is by no means a league wide problem.

What they are doing is just not limited to NFL players.

The letter also informs owners of new partnerships with several groups, including funding for the National Domestic Violence Hotline, an online forum for teens called Loveisrespect that offers chat advice on dating abuse and the National Sexual Violence Resource Center.

"The NFL's initial support will be directed toward state coalitions to provide additional resources to state and local sexual assault hotlines," the letter reads.

Northman
09-19-2014, 12:39 PM

Yea, you been tooting that horn for a while now. But its not about how many players are doing it, its about those who are being held accountable. Its about the league addressing the problem seriously instead of simply turning their heads or trying to sweep it under the rug.

MOtorboat
09-19-2014, 12:43 PM
I'm glad they are addressing it. It's still somewhat funny that the NFL still isn't following a policy they instituted three weeks ago, though.

Northman
09-19-2014, 12:44 PM
I'm glad they are addressing it. It's still somewhat funny that the NFL still isn't following a policy they instituted three weeks ago, though.

Well, as Michael Vick stated today the Commish and the rest of the league are still working out the kinks.

MOtorboat
09-19-2014, 12:47 PM
Well, as Michael Vick stated today the Commish and the rest of the league are still working out the kinks.

Is that code for: even when we tried to rectify it with a written policy we ****** up?

chazoe60
09-19-2014, 12:48 PM
Yea, you been tooting that horn for a while now. But its not about how many players are doing it, its about those who are being held accountable. Its about the league addressing the problem seriously instead of simply turning their heads or trying to sweep it under the rug.

The first time I've mentioned it was today, so at least now we know your definition of "a while". :laugh:

Denver Native (Carol)
09-19-2014, 12:52 PM
NEW YORK -- The NFL says three experts in domestic violence will serve as senior advisers to the league.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell sent a memo to teams Monday announcing that Lisa Friel, Jane Randel and Rita Smith will "help lead and shape the NFL's policies and programs relating to domestic violence and sexual assault."

Friel was the head of the Sex Crimes Prosecution Unit in the New York County District Attorney's Office for more than a decade. Randel is the co-founder of No More, a campaign against domestic violence and sexual assault. Smith is the former executive director of the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence.

rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11531293/roger-goodell-nfl-create-social-responsibility-role-help-domestic-violence-social-issues

IMO, the NFL is definitely doing what needs to be done.

Northman
09-19-2014, 12:54 PM
Is that code for: even when we tried to rectify it with a written policy we ****** up?

I think it means (obvious to me anyway) that its uncharted territory and that they are still working to find the best way to address the problem seriously and yet try and be fair to the player involved.

Northman
09-19-2014, 12:55 PM
The first time I've mentioned it was today, so at least now we know your definition of "a while". :laugh:

True but you've mentioned it in a couple of threads but i think your just missing the bigger picture.

chazoe60
09-19-2014, 12:55 PM

By the way, the NFL's initial punishment of Ray Rice was harsher then what our own legal system doled out to him. This isn't the NFL's problem it's society's problem.

The MLB, NHL, and NBA all have less strict policies than the NFL on this matter.

I'm not saying the NFL did the right thing but why is 8th that we hold them to such a higher standard than we hold our own legal system?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-19-2014, 12:58 PM
By the way, the NFL's initial punishment of Ray Rice was harsher then what our own legal system doled out to him. This isn't the NFL's problem it's society's problem.

The MLB, NHL, and NBA all have less strict policies than the NFL on this matter.

I'm not saying the NFL did the right thing but why is 8th that we hold them to such a higher standard than we hold our own legal system?

Exactly...

chazoe60
09-19-2014, 12:59 PM
True but you've mentioned it in a couple of threads but i think your just missing the bigger picture.

:laugh::laugh:

I've advocated for harsher penalties from the NFL as well as our legal system. I've also pointed out that the problem is larger in society than it is in the NFL. I'm the one seeing the bigger picture.

Can't wait for your next retort.

Poet
09-19-2014, 01:10 PM
Society is made up of us in totality so the NFL is apart of that overarching problem. To fix the issues in society we might look to hold those who are lead a rich, famed, and glorious lifestyle accountable. Domestic abuse in America is widespread and shameful, so cries out for domestic abuse to be dealt with in a more proper fashion at the NFL level are not misplaced either.

Chaz, when you point out that NFL players are less likely to commit domestic abuse and what not, I'm sure you're factually correct. However, there is a certain dichotomy that exists on this subject matter where it's the apologists vs. the offended populace. This conversation exists in the dichotomy, or the sides, so it would appear to many that you're being an apologist.

We know this not to be true because you are not a stupid, or immoral man. You simply mean to express that this situation is greater in existence than some people think. Or, in other words, their scope is wrong. I think that your words have some merit there.

Northman
09-19-2014, 01:13 PM
:laugh::laugh:

I've advocated for harsher penalties from the NFL as well as our legal system. I've also pointed out that the problem is larger in society than it is in the NFL. I'm the one seeing the bigger picture.

Can't wait for your next retort.

Than I must of misunderstood your stance because everyone knows that the problem is larger in society itself. The NFL only makes up a small portion of society in general anyway but the I guess I wasn't clear why you were continuing to bring it up when it has nothing to do with this particular case with the NFL. Anyhow, as Carol pointed out the NFL is looking beyond the league to further address the issue as it is so all is good in the world.

Northman
09-19-2014, 01:15 PM
Society is made up of us in totality so the NFL is apart of that overarching problem. To fix the issues in society we might look to hold those who are lead a rich, famed, and glorious lifestyle accountable. Domestic abuse in America is widespread and shameful, so cries out for domestic abuse to be dealt with in a more proper fashion at the NFL level are not misplaced either.

Chaz, when you point out that NFL players are less likely to commit domestic abuse and what not, I'm sure you're factually correct. However, there is a certain dichotomy that exists on this subject matter where it's the apologists vs. the offended populace. This conversation exists in the dichotomy, or the sides, so it would appear to many that you're being an apologist.

We know this not to be true because you are not a stupid, or immoral man. You simply mean to express that this situation is greater in existence than some people think. Or, in other words, their scope is wrong. I think that your words have some merit there.

Well put. I guess you just laid it out much better than I did. I just couldn't understand why Chaz was beating the drum so hard as its pretty obvious is more rampant in regular society. But it doesn't mean you just ignore it at the NFL level or try to make excuses for it even though its just a small portion of that issue.

Joel
09-19-2014, 01:26 PM
Kudoes to the NFL stepping up unprompted to proactively do the right thing with no one holding its feet to the fire; THIS surely played NO role: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11549471/anheuser-busch-nfl-deal-includes-clause

Denver Native (Carol)
09-19-2014, 01:33 PM
Kudoes to the NFL stepping up unprompted to proactively do the right thing with no one holding its feet to the fire; THIS surely played NO role: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11549471/anheuser-busch-nfl-deal-includes-clause

I could care less if sponsorship played a role in what the NFL is doing. What is important to me is that they are doing it. No one knows if the NFL was checking to see what could be done before Anheuser-Busch threatened to pull their sponsorship.

Northman
09-19-2014, 01:41 PM
The NFL's dark past,

First player mentioned is former Bronco Middlebrooks.

http://grantland.com/features/nfl-football-domestic-violence-ray-rice/

On January 1, 2005, in the dark, early hours of New Year’s Day, police responded to a call from the girlfriend of Denver Broncos defensive back Willie Middlebrooks. She told them that she and Middlebrooks had fought earlier that night, and he was still angry when he came home. According to the police report, he grabbed her by the hair and then tried to choke her twice, once so forcefully that he lifted her off the floor. She was treated for injuries at a local hospital; he would later plead guilty to a misdemeanor assault charge. The Broncos traded Middlebrooks to the San Francisco 49ers later that summer. “The 49ers did their research and found out that Willie is a high-character guy who was in a bad situation,” Middlebrooks’s agent told the San Jose Mercury News. “Sometimes guys just need a change of scenery.”

BeefStew25
09-19-2014, 01:42 PM
I think to gain our attention, they need a 5k To End Domestic Violence in each NFL city, of which a portion of proceeds will go to a battered womens shelter. And maybe a pink ribbon and pink shoes and a pink football. And pink penalty flags.

chazoe60
09-19-2014, 01:43 PM
That's exactly my point though King, the NFL is leading the way. They lead all the major sports leagues in this issue and they are even out in front of our own judicial system.

Joel
09-19-2014, 01:43 PM
I could care less if sponsorship played a role in what the NFL is doing. What is important to me is that they are doing it. No one knows if the NFL was checking to see what could be done before Anheuser-Busch threatened to pull their sponsorship.
It makes a big difference between whether the NFL actually does anything to HELP, or just covers its butt for PR. Just like "player safety" is coded shorthand for "for fifty years we knew about but hid and denied proof concussions cause long term brain damage, until it got out and we coughed up a billion dollar settlement to make it go away and keep the next generation of NFL players on their junior high practice field." PLAYER safety (as opposed to OWNER PR) concerns the NFL so much it wants to extend the season 2 games and add more playoff games, notwithstanding injuries.

Joel
09-19-2014, 01:49 PM
The NFL's dark past,

First player mentioned is former Bronco Middlebrooks.

http://grantland.com/features/nfl-football-domestic-violence-ray-rice/
It goes much farther back with much better players than Middlebrooks: http://articles.latimes.com/1985-02-21/news/mn-617_1_jim-brown
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/comment/saraceno/2002-04-10-saraceno.htm

Northman
09-19-2014, 01:51 PM
It goes much farther back with much better players than Middlebrooks: http://articles.latimes.com/1985-02-21/news/mn-617_1_jim-brown
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/comment/saraceno/2002-04-10-saraceno.htm

Of course, i was just posting what the article posted.

Bronco4ever
09-19-2014, 01:57 PM

Outside of Ray Rice, I used to be most upset with the NFL in this situation. I've kind of shifted gears and realize how badly the legal system handled all of this. I've seen that article posted several times about the % of first time offenders that got the same pre-trial intervention that Ray Rice received (hint: it's less than 1%). The same prosecutor that gave Ray Rice a sweetheart deal is pressing full charges against this mother of two for something that seems far less severe. It's just sad that they are making an example of this woman while letting a violent offender, who they had video freaking evidence of bashing his wife, basically get off free. You can read about her story:

http://fija.org/2014/08/06/jury-trial-for-philly-mom-prosecuted-for-gun-in-new-jersey/

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/story/opinion/readers/2014/08/06/letter-prosecutor-gave-ray-rice-preferential-treatment/13631833/

Denver Native (Carol)
09-19-2014, 02:08 PM
It makes a big difference between whether the NFL actually does anything to HELP, or just covers its butt for PR. Just like "player safety" is coded shorthand for "for fifty years we knew about but hid and denied proof concussions cause long term brain damage, until it got out and we coughed up a billion dollar settlement to make it go away and keep the next generation of NFL players on their junior high practice field." PLAYER safety (as opposed to OWNER PR) concerns the NFL so much it wants to extend the season 2 games and add more playoff games, notwithstanding injuries.

From the article, which started this thread:

It was brought to our attention that recent events caused The National Domestic Violence Hotline to receive 84 percent more calls during the week of September 8 – 15. According to the organization, more than 50 percent of those calls went unanswered due to lack of staff. That must not continue.

To help address this and other critical and immediate needs, we are entering into long-term partnerships to provide financial, operational and promotional support to two of the leading domestic violence and sexual assault resources: The National Domestic Violence Hotline (The Hotline) and the National Sexual Violence Resource Center (NSVRC). These commitments will enable both The Hotline and NSVRC to help more people affected by domestic violence and sexual assault.

The National Domestic Violence Hotline provides domestic violence victims and survivors access to the largest national network of resources and shelters and is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week in 170 languages. The NFL and The Hotline have initiated an immediate process to make services available by adding expert advocates, training and other resources to respond to the increased volume of calls. The Hotline will add 25 full-time advocates over the next few weeks that will result in an additional 750 calls a day being answered.

The NFL’s support also will enable Loveisrespect to service 24-hour-a-day text chats
with young adults affected by dating abuse. Loveisrespect, a project of the National Domestic
Violence Hotline and Break the Cycle, is a resource to engage, educate and empower youth and
young adults to prevent and end abusive relationships.

https://www.facebook.com/AdamSchefter/posts/822274407825202

Joel - if you would have taken the time to read the whole article I posted, you could see that what they are doing is NOT just something to cover their butt. They are helping organizations for all victims.

Northman
09-19-2014, 02:08 PM
Outside of Ray Rice, I used to be most upset with the NFL in this situation. I've kind of shifted gears and realize how badly the legal system handled all of this. I've seen that article posted several times about the % of first time offenders that got the same pre-trial intervention that Ray Rice received (hint: it's less than 1%). The same prosecutor that gave Ray Rice a sweetheart deal is pressing full charges against this mother of two for something that seems far less severe. It's just sad that they are making an example of this woman while letting a violent offender, who they had video freaking evidence of bashing his wife, basically get off free. You can read about her story:

http://fija.org/2014/08/06/jury-trial-for-philly-mom-prosecuted-for-gun-in-new-jersey/

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/story/opinion/readers/2014/08/06/letter-prosecutor-gave-ray-rice-preferential-treatment/13631833/

Yea, i read about that. Totally disgraceful for what they are doing to that woman.

Slick
09-19-2014, 02:17 PM

Yeah. You or I would have been in jail getting our rectum's stretched and Rice gets pre-trial intervention.

Joel
09-19-2014, 03:30 PM
From the article, which started this thread:

https://www.facebook.com/AdamSchefter/posts/822274407825202

Joel - if you would have taken the time to read the whole article I posted, you could see that what they are doing is NOT just something to cover their butt. They are helping organizations for all victims.
I'll believe it when I see it, but the NFL's got a poor track record on health and behavioral problems, because it typically ignores them until/unless they become a scandal provoking public outcry demanding an NFL response. The owners' concern is placating consumers to protect their cash cow, and that's pretty much their SOLE concern.

What's worrisome is that domestic violence issues and concussion brain trauma aren't exactly tangential issues. There's an argument teaching and encouraging elite physical specimens to settle differences physically for millions of dollars and national fame also encourages them to do that off the field, but it's proven fact even ONE case of head trauma can permanently alter peoples personality, often resulting in depression, irritability, loss of control and/or violent behavior. A billion dollar legal settlement and a few million more to staff crisis hotlines can't solve that problem.

What really gets me about that though is it's caused football an existential crisis while boxing and MMA just keep on truckin' explicitly TELLING competitors to concuss each other while the courts shrug.

Cugel
09-19-2014, 06:24 PM
Everything the league is doing is just feeding the slow motion destruction of Roger Godell and the league office. There's going to be a LOT more stuff about this.

According to the new report, the league willfully ignored evidence in order to protect Ray Rice. Not only that, but Ravens owner actually texted Ray the day of his release to offer him a job with the Ravens after his playing days were over. Ray is furious with the organization and wants nothing to do with any of them other than Ozzie Newsome, so he released the text.

The Baltimore Ravens organization may not have actually seen the infamous second video from within the elevator showing Ray Rice punching his then-fiancee, but within hours of Rice's arrest it had received a detailed description of the footage, according to a report by ESPN's Outside the Lines. (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/9/19/6562983/ravens-ray-rice-cover-up-roger-goodell-nfl-outside-the-lines)The Ravens then asked for leniency from the NFL, and were granted it by Roger Goodell as a "favor" to the owner.

Ravens director of security Darren Sanders phoned the Atlantic City police shortly after Rice's Feb. 15 arrest, according to the report. He was then given a play-by-play of the surveillance video by a police officer, who told Sanders he was a Ravens fan. Sanders then relayed that information to the team executives in Baltimore.

In early April, the Ravens reportedly contacted Rice's attorney, Michael J. Diamondstein, who had by then seen the second video. He allegedly told team president Dick Cass that the footage was "f---ing horrible." Contrary to claims made by owner Steve Bisciotti, the team never requested the video from Diamondstein.

So Biscotti is a crony of Goodell's and "did him a solid".

Goodell claims "I'm not going anywhere" but clearly he's toast - death of a thousand cuts. Goodell's story is that "the league never saw the second video."

Well, #1 why not? No answer.
#2 - what more did you need to see? You saw the video OUTSIDE the elevator, that showed Rice dragging his unconscious girlfriend out of the elevator. And she was down and out like Larry Holmes after he was knocked out by Mike Tyson. The video really reminded me of that fight the way Larry hit the canvas. WTF did the NFL think was happening inside the elevator?

See, this new policy is just part of the league cover-up. It's a nice step, but clearly there's going to be a LOT more changes coming down the line as more and more stuff comes out and Goodell gets fired.

Slick
09-19-2014, 07:10 PM
Michael J Diamondstein? That's freaking hilarious.

BeefStew25
09-19-2014, 07:57 PM
Michael J Diamondstein? That's freaking hilarious.

He's Catholic

Joel
09-19-2014, 09:29 PM
Everything the league is doing is just feeding the slow motion destruction of Roger Godell and the league office. There's going to be a LOT more stuff about this.

According to the new report, the league willfully ignored evidence in order to protect Ray Rice. Not only that, but Ravens owner actually texted Ray the day of his release to offer him a job with the Ravens after his playing days were over. Ray is furious with the organization and wants nothing to do with any of them other than Ozzie Newsome, so he released the text.

So Biscotti is a crony of Goodell's and "did him a solid".

Goodell claims "I'm not going anywhere" but clearly he's toast - death of a thousand cuts. Goodell's story is that "the league never saw the second video."

Well, #1 why not? No answer.
#2 - what more did you need to see? You saw the video OUTSIDE the elevator, that showed Rice dragging his unconscious girlfriend out of the elevator. And she was down and out like Larry Holmes after he was knocked out by Mike Tyson. The video really reminded me of that fight the way Larry hit the canvas. WTF did the NFL think was happening inside the elevator?

See, this new policy is just part of the league cover-up. It's a nice step, but clearly there's going to be a LOT more changes coming down the line as more and more stuff comes out and Goodell gets fired.
All valid excellent points, but whether it's enough to doom Goodell remains to be seen. Ultimately, the NFL Commissioner is little more than a meat puppet for the collective will of the owners: THEY make all the decisions, but HE announces them, as a lighting rod for all the fire the Billionaire Boys Club draws. Isn't he doing that job remarkably well? How much are we talking about Bisciotti rather than Goodell? He's not Goodells "crony:" He's his BOSS, and his employee is doing a fine job of what he's well-paid to do.

The tipping point is when a Commissioner stops simply absorbing the owners' bad publicity and instead CREATES it, but it's unclear when or even if that point will come.