PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Mailbag: Give in Denver's second-half defense triggers alarm

Denver Native (Carol)
09-17-2014, 01:27 PM
A lot of different questions/answers in this article, but I chose the following:

Hey, Mike. My understanding is that the turf at Mile High is subpar to say the least. I realize they used a new fiber-wound hybrid system, but apparently the system doesn't live up to the promise. What are the chances the Broncos simply own up to this and install an artificial field? OR, go back to regular sod, which can at least be easily replaced?

Mike - Why are there no longer any flyovers at the Bronco games? The paratrooper thing is cool, I guess, but nothing gets the juices flowing like a rumble in your chest from a good ol' flyover!

-- Manuel Garcia, Falcon

The U.S. military stopped doing public flyovers during the budget-cutting sequestration on March 1, 2013. Even though there is no more sequester, the flyovers have not yet been reinstated by the military.

The Broncos have a standing flyover request for each of their remaining home games, but the military has yet to grant approval.

This flyover ban applies to all NFL stadiums, not just Sports Authority Field.

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_26545917/broncos-mailbag-give-denvers-second-half-defense-triggers

CrazyHorse
09-17-2014, 03:03 PM
I wonder if part of it is conditioning. Our defense just seems to wear out so fast. It doesn't help when you can't get off the field. We also have quite a few players coming back from injuries.

Joel
09-17-2014, 03:29 PM
Some's definitely conditioning: Miller and Harris' ACL recovery got them to camp VERY late, so both were spelled the last two weeks (especially the first game;) I expect to see them much more after the bye. Conditioning should generally favor us EVERY game though: Mile High's notorious for gassing visitors quickly, and our players retain the resulting stamina even on the road; many track stars like to train at altitude for that very reason. It may be an issue for new FAs (i.e. Ware, Ward and Talib at speed positions,) but shouldn't be for the rest.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-17-2014, 05:05 PM
I thought penalties were the Achilles heel of our defense last Sunday, not conditioning. The offense having a lot of 3 and outs doesn't help at all either. We have scored a total of ten points in four quarters of second half football this year.

TXBRONC
09-17-2014, 10:48 PM
I thought penalties were the Achilles heel of our defense last Sunday, not conditioning. The offense having a lot of 3 and outs doesn't help at all either. We have scored a total of ten points in four quarters of second half football this year.

I agree the biggest problems have been the penalties and the offense sputtering in the second half of games. Getting Welker back should help the offense although it may not be immediately.