PDA

View Full Version : Searching for improvement on third down

Denver Native (Carol)
09-16-2014, 02:48 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- How do you fix third downs?

You start by trimming the big mistakes. On three third downs against the Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday, the Broncos committed penalties that resuscitated possessions. With those included, that took the Chiefs up to 14-of-19 at extending drives once they got to third down.

These are the most obvious correctable mistakes that emerged from the film study of the 24-17 Week 2 win.

"We had a lot of dumb penalties, we had some offsides, we had some roughing the passers, and some mental breakdowns when we just couldn’t get off the field," said cornerback Chris Harris Jr. "A lot of those times, the reason why weren’t getting off the field on third down was ourselves, what we’re doing."

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Searching-for-improvement-on-third-down/d847edf8-78d1-4282-ac44-26c20d0125bf

Ziggy
09-16-2014, 02:55 PM
Too bad no one in the media has the backbone to point out the coaching problem on D. This D has plenty of talent to be a top 3 defense. Rushing 3 on third and 18? What a joke. Paying 10 million a year to a corner who is known for his physicality at the LOS and playing him 10-12 yards off of the receiver half of the game? Another joke. This is the most timidly coached D I've ever seen in Denver. Turn these guys loose. Elway has done a masterful job of assembling talent on this defense. I'd love to see them actually play to their strengths.

Ravage!!!
09-16-2014, 03:26 PM
Too bad no one in the media has the backbone to point out the coaching problem on D. This D has plenty of talent to be a top 3 defense. Rushing 3 on third and 18? What a joke. Paying 10 million a year to a corner who is known for his physicality at the LOS and playing him 10-12 yards off of the receiver half of the game? Another joke. This is the most timidly coached D I've ever seen in Denver. Turn these guys loose. Elway has done a masterful job of assembling talent on this defense. I'd love to see them actually play to their strengths.

Talib knows how to play defense and where to line up.. you can't line up and play bump and run all the time, as that's not what we do. Talib has been great so far, why would you complain as to where he's lining up?

Joel
09-16-2014, 03:30 PM
Pretty much. Fox has been excusing "correctable mistakes" for going on three years now: If he SEES the problem and KNOWS it needs correction but HASN'T CORRECTED IT IN THREE YEARS, why is he still the head coach? Again I say, it's like a drunk insisting, "I don't have a problem; I can quit any time I want:" Even if that's so, the fact he STILL HASN'T is ITSELF a problem.

BroncoJoe
09-16-2014, 04:00 PM
Talib knows how to play defense and where to line up.. you can't line up and play bump and run all the time, as that's not what we do. Talib has been great so far, why would you complain as to where he's lining up?

Seems to me some of the best defenses in the last 10 years have played the receivers close, and challenged them at the line.

Why would you give a speedy receiver a 10 yard cushion? We do that "most" of the time. It really doesn't make sense.

Ziggy
09-17-2014, 12:34 PM

Because the passes that have been caught on him have been caught in front of him. Lining him up 10-12 yards off of the ball doesn't play to his strengths. Great coaches play to their playerssstrengths. That's what makes them great coaches. You don't put square pegs in round holes. As far as playing bump and run all time, yes you can. It takes away the short to intermediate passing lanes, which is where the Broncos D is getting eaten alive at. You may give up an occasional big play here and there, but it cuts down on those long drives that we're seeing against this team. It also helps with run support.

Like Joe said, dominant defenses play bump and run coverage nearly exclusively. Playing you star corner 10 yards off of his man results in a bend but don't break defense. When the offense has an off day, you end up losing big games with those defenses.