PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl rematches rare. Savior the moment.

Northman
09-16-2014, 12:11 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/TMQWeekTwo140916/super-bowl-rematches-rare-events-tuesday-morning-quarterback

Next Sunday, the Denver Broncos travel to Seattle for a Super Bowl rematch. Are the Broncos happy to have another chance to slay the dragon, or dismayed that stretching back to last season, two of four games that count will be against the league's best defense?

Whatever the case may be, the Super Bowl rematch is surprisingly rare. On only five occasions following the 47 previous Super Bowls -- or V times following the XLVII previous Super Bowls -- has the next regular season seen a rematch. So far teams that lost the Super Bowl are 2-3 against victors in regular-season rematches the following season. The rematches:

[+] Enlargehttp://a.espncdn.com/photo/2014/0915/play_a_malcolmsmith_ms_300x300.jpg
(http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2014/0915/play_a_malcolmsmith_ms_600x600.jpg)
The Broncos hope they won't see any of this in the rematch.

Super Bowl IV: The Kansas City Chiefs defeat the Minnesota Vikings 23-7. In the ensuing regular season, Minnesota defeats Kansas City 27-10.
Super Bowl XI: The Oakland Raiders defeat the Vikings 32-14. The following regular season, Oakland defeats Minnesota 10-3.
Super Bowl XIII: The Pittsburgh Steelers beat the Dallas Cowboys 35-31. In the next regular season, Pittsburgh beats Dallas 14-3.
Super Bowl XXVII: Dallas defeats Buffalo, 52-17. In the next regular season, the Bills beat the Cowboys 13-10. (That's a 38-point swing in Buffalo's favor, but the Boys won the game people remember.)
Super Bowl XXXI: The Green Bay Packers beat the New England Patriots 35-21. Then Green Bay beats New England 28-10 in the regular season.

The most recent Super Bowl rematch, Green Bay versus New England, occurred in 1997, so it's been nearly two decades since a regular-season rematch.

Considering the beatdown the Bluish Men Group defense put on the Broncs' high-tech offense in the Super Bowl, the odds would seem to favor another Seattle win. So would the Seahawks' league-best 18-1 winning streak at home. So would Russell Wilson's sterling record versus the NFL's quarterbacking old guard. Wilson is 7-0 in starts against Tom Brady, Drew Brees, the Manning brothers and Aaron Rodgers. By comparison, he struggles at 3-2 versus young guns Colin Kaepernick and Andrew Luck.

weazel
09-16-2014, 12:36 PM
I can't see this game turning out well

BroncoJoe
09-16-2014, 12:38 PM
I was curious about this - thanks for finding it!

Has there ever been a SB rematch?

VonDoom
09-16-2014, 12:51 PM
I was curious about this - thanks for finding it!

Has there ever been a SB rematch?

You mean the same two teams playing in the next year's Super Bowl? The Cowboys and Bills played in back to back Super Bowls in the 90's (neither went well for Buffalo).

BroncoJoe
09-16-2014, 01:31 PM
You mean the same two teams playing in the next year's Super Bowl? The Cowboys and Bills played in back to back Super Bowls in the 90's (neither went well for Buffalo).

Yes.

So once in nearly 50 years, right?

That could very well happen again this year.

Northman
09-16-2014, 01:32 PM
I think whats funny about that picture is you have Fox in the background looking as if he is trying to pull a pistol and shoot the runner. lmao

Bad joke i know, but considering how bad we were getting as ass kicked it just struck me funny.

VonDoom
09-16-2014, 01:41 PM
Yes.

So once in nearly 50 years, right?

That could very well happen again this year.

Yep, that's the only time it's happened in consecutive years. That article points out how the Bills were destroyed 52-17, then came back to beat the Cowboys in the regular season the next year. Of course, they lost again at the end of the year when it counted. I'm not ready to crown the Seahawks again (or us, for that matter - long season ahead).

I think whats funny about that picture is you have Fox in the background looking as if he is trying to pull a pistol and shoot the runner. lmao

Bad joke i know, but considering how bad we were getting as ass kicked it just struck me funny.

Heh. That wouldn't have been too shabby ;)