PDA

View Full Version : The good and the bad: Week 2

BroncoWave
09-14-2014, 08:25 PM
I thought this was a fun thread last week and would be cool to do after every game. Here are my thoughts on the good and bad:

Good:

Emmanuel Sanders. He just continues to make play after play. I wish we would utilize him deep more because he is is just killing teams when we do it.

JT. Manning chewing him out nonwithstanding, another very solid effort by him.

CJ Anderson. I continue to be impressed with him. He just hits the hole fast and doesn't dance around at all. I think he is a starting caliber player in this league.

TJ Ward. Guy is a playmaker. Is always near the ball and in on tackles.

Ware. Got some good pressures on Smith and made what should have been the game-sealing play.

Manning. Not much to say here. Typical great play by him.

DT. Nice rebound game after a bad week 1.

Bad:

Phil Simms. He did everything but go down on the field, get down on a knee, and ask the Chiefs to marry him.

Clark. Terrible, terrible, terrible game. Penalties, missed blocks, you name it. Probably the LVP tonight.

Run blocking. Really poor effort there this week. Our backs had pretty much zero holes to work with.

Bubba. Another lackluster performance by him. It's time to move Latimer ahead of him IMO.

Third down defense. Historically terrible tonight.

Coaching. Thought Fox botched the end of both halves and we stubbornly stuck with three man rushes on 3rd and long despite it not working.

Discipline. A bunch of stupid, undisciplined plays by us tonight. Offsides, delay of games, personal fouls. We really lost our composure at times.

Phil Simms. Because bashing that moron once is just not enough. God I hate him.

I'm sure I'm forgetting things, but that's what sticks out in my mind.

atwater27
09-14-2014, 08:37 PM
The 3rd down D was terrifying. Like Charles Barkeley turrifying. And we got outcoached badly. Reid took it to the last minute while missing Charles and like 4 more of their best players. In Denver. His game plan was simple but effective, but obviously not simple enough for our coaching staff to figure out. The offsides calls were stupefying.

spikerman
09-14-2014, 08:41 PM
The good: The Broncos won.
The bad: Pretty much everything else.

silkamilkamonico
09-14-2014, 08:47 PM
Coaching is terrible IMO.

Fox runs a far too conservative GamePlan on both sides of the ball. He coaches like he's still in Carolina winning with defense, and we don't have near the defense he had in Carolina. In my humble opinion he does not know how to manage the game with the type of team he has.

I am not impressed with Gase's playcalling and offensive gameplan at all. Not at all.

I am wondering if Del Rio does not either know what he has yet or is not confident. He calls to hope the offense makes a mistake. It is not an attacking type of defense at all. Or maybe that's just how he wants to call, which is a mistake IMHO with the type of defensive players we have. Rushing 3 on 3rd and long? C'mon...

The most concerning thing of all IMHO is both games we have been badly outcoached on halftime adjustments. Like we didn't even make any. I think Gase can improve individually and also Del Rio when he gets more comfortable with his players and maybe that can help Fox be more aggressive, but good god we cannot continue to go to halftime and just not make any kind of adjustments. That is just terrible. What the hell are they doing at halftime?

gregbroncs
09-14-2014, 08:50 PM
Bad: Announcer's. Not just in the Denver game. In the game before there were these 2 moron announcer debating that it was a touchdown because the guy was inside the pylon. While also stating that he never got the 2nd foot down (It was clear that his 2nd foot landed 2 feet out of bounds). Yet these morons were saying the touchdown would stand because the ball was across the pylon. Earth to whomever was working that game, It's not a catch if you don't put your 2nd foot down in bounds, no matter where the football is. They seriously said this like 7-8 times: "I know he did not get his 2nd foot down but it should stand as a touchdown because he got the ball across the pylon."

And yes Phil Simms was sucking the chief's crotch all night.

I thought Fox had a horrible game. Not calling timeouts at the end was stupid. If they tie it there and we just let them waste the entire game while in a goal line situation with Manning as the QB.... Just terrible. If we had lost that game in OT I'd be all over Fox for that.

Good: At least we won.

SR
09-14-2014, 08:52 PM
Good: Denver is 2-0.

Bad: The coaches and play calling are stifling the talent on this team. Unless they're "not showing their hand" before the SEA game, this team sucks considering who is on the roster.

Mike
09-14-2014, 09:00 PM
Come on guys. 2-0 is not too shabby.

atwater27
09-14-2014, 09:03 PM

Rushing 3 on 3rd and long? C'mon...

If we have to drop eight into coverage and still get burnt by the Grade D offensive players we faced today, our D is in trouble.

BroncoWave
09-14-2014, 09:03 PM
Good: Denver is 2-0.

Bad: The coaches and play calling are stifling the talent on this team. Unless they're "not showing their hand" before the SEA game, this team sucks considering who is on the roster.

Completely agree with this. We just have way too much talent to be playing the way we are. It has to be coaching. Luckily we are winning in spite of it, but I don't know how long that will hold up.

SR
09-14-2014, 09:06 PM
Completely agree with this. We just have way too much talent to be playing the way we are. It has to be coaching. Luckily we are winning in spite of it, but I don't know how long that will hold up.

I don't see the coaching philosophy or play calling changing, so I would guess that Seattle works Denver over again next weekend.

VonDoom
09-14-2014, 09:10 PM

Fox runs a far too conservative GamePlan on both sides of the ball. He coaches like he's still in Carolina winning with defense, and we don't have near the defense he had in Carolina. In my humble opinion he does not know how to manage the game with the type of team he has.

I am not impressed with Gase's playcalling and offensive gameplan at all. Not at all.

I am wondering if Del Rio does not either know what he has yet or is not confident. He calls to hope the offense makes a mistake. It is not an attacking type of defense at all. Or maybe that's just how he wants to call, which is a mistake IMHO with the type of defensive players we have. Rushing 3 on 3rd and long? C'mon...

The most concerning thing of all IMHO is both games we have been badly outcoached on halftime adjustments. Like we didn't even make any. I think Gase can improve individually and also Del Rio when he gets more comfortable with his players and maybe that can help Fox be more aggressive, but good god we cannot continue to go to halftime and just not make any kind of adjustments. That is just terrible. What the hell are they doing at halftime?

This pretty much sums it up, especially about Del Rio. Not enough pressure when it counts, not playing to our strength in coverage

broncosinindy
09-14-2014, 09:25 PM
Serious question on d rotating these guys in and out.. How much affect does it have on our guys. I remember especially doom how he would set his guy up for third down

The defensive play calling and excution , something needs to change STAT

The offensive. Be less predictable play action, Screens, draws. Those were money. We need to be able to line up and dominate. Seems the staff is trying to stick with he run. Needs improvement.

Peyton good game.

I think this offense needs welker

Anderson needs to be able to get more carries. Liked how the coclaching used him.

The chiefs moved the pocket around. Were gonna see it next week. Better improve in this area.

Hawgdriver
09-14-2014, 10:06 PM
Good: 2-0 heading into Seattle. Manning looks as good as he has ever been--amazing. No picks. Great lanes and time to throw. Excellent production from the receiving TE and Sanders. Bey bey with a nice game. Hungry running from the RBs. Secondary looks great. 2-0 against two 2013 playoff teams is great.

Bad: too many questions about the coaching and execution. And line play. Where's the pressure? Why is this loaded defense looking mediocre and giving up so many low-conversion rate plays? Why are the Broncos not pulling away and slamming the door on teams? Why don't I feel confident about this team? Why am I asking myself if this team is for real this year, or just not quite gelling?

I know 2-0 is 2-0, and the scoreboard don't lie, but neither do my eyes.

Simple Jaded
09-14-2014, 10:18 PM
I don't think Fox has any control over the offensive gameplan whatsoever, minimal.

broncosinindy
09-14-2014, 10:39 PM
I don't think Fox has any control over the offensive gameplan whatsoever, minimal.Im sure its minimal but I doubt they'd do install if he didn't like it.

Mike
09-15-2014, 08:34 AM
I don't think Fox has any control over the offensive gameplan whatsoever, minimal.

Maybe. Apparently he doesn't have any control over any other aspects of the team either though.

Northman
09-15-2014, 08:47 AM
3 man rush. Nuff said.

weazel
09-15-2014, 09:21 AM
I thought this was a fun thread last week and would be cool to do after every game. Here are my thoughts on the good and bad:

Good:

Emmanuel Sanders. He just continues to make play after play. I wish we would utilize him deep more because he is is just killing teams when we do it.

CJ Anderson. I continue to be impressed with him. He just hits the hole fast and doesn't dance around at all. I think he is a starting caliber player in this league.

Ware. Got some good pressures on Smith and made what should have been the game-sealing play.

Bad:

Phil Simms. He did everything but go down on the field, get down on a knee, and ask the Chiefs to marry him.

Clark. Terrible, terrible, terrible game. Penalties, missed blocks, you name it. Probably the LVP tonight.

Run blocking. Really poor effort there this week. Our backs had pretty much zero holes to work with.

Bubba. Another lackluster performance by him. It's time to move Latimer ahead of him IMO.

Coaching. Thought Fox botched the end of both halves and we stubbornly stuck with three man rushes on 3rd and long despite it not working.

Discipline. A bunch of stupid, undisciplined plays by us tonight. Offsides, delay of games, personal fouls. We really lost our composure at times.

pretty much summed it up.
week 2, the defense really needs some work and the offense goes to sleep in the 2nd half. Looking at the upsets yesterday, the Broncos aren't the only team still working things out. Next week will be damn tough...

G_Money
09-15-2014, 01:59 PM
Good:

- We're 2-0 playing almost as badly in the 2nd halves of both games as it is possible to play. If you take our 2nd halves against those of, say, the Raiders, the Oakland morons look like a better team than us. So thank God for some fairly excellent first 25-ish minutes of ballgames.

- the RBs look into it. Ball and Anderson are both hitting holes well (when there are holes).

- Sanders is a godsend.

- Goal line stands have saved both games, so the defense plays better with their backs to the wall.

That said...

Bad:

- Coaching. Clock management at the end of the last game was abominable. Playcalling when everything isn't PERFECT has been atrocious. Our defensive schemes are drawn up with crayons. Maybe this is all part of a master plan to not show our hand to the Seahawks and come out with something completely different and polished in the Northwest... but I kinda doubt it.

I don't know why our defensive gameplan is so simplified at this point. No spy on the QB, no middle of the field coverage at all against a fairly mobile QB. We'll never get off the field against Wilson with that ridiculousness, so you'd think they'd have wanted to PRACTICE a spy LB for a minute against an actual foe before we get to the Seattle game. Apparently not. Not much stunting but still lanes are wide open and neither gap nor edge control is well-maintained. We have a press corner playing off coverage and allowing our DBs to get picked whenever they'd like. It's bad. It's like 60 minutes of some sort of soft prevent mixed with badly timed zones and ineffective blitz packages. I know the plan was to get pressure with 4 guys, maybe occasionally 5, but it's not happening frequently enough. When we had the Chiefs QB flushed out of the pocket with nowhere to run he had zero chance of completing a pass - but knowing that, we didn't try to MAKE that happen. It just did, sometimes, by accident.

On offense, we fall apart at the first sign of a penalty. 1st and 15? Uh-oh! No play call for that! Quick, punt! When one of our big plays comes back through penalty, we don't re-focus and start chunking first downs. We apparently are a cry-and-punt formation team if things aren't going our way perfectly. Not a fan of that at all.

Gase has to be better. Del Rio has to be more aggressive. Both sides of the ball need to make better half-time adjustments.

And Manning needs to audible better. Nothing Gase can do if Manning is gonna change the play at the LOS. I know we wanna run more... but we're awful at play-action at this point, and we certainly don't try to control tempo or get running first downs on third and short like you might expect if a running attack is the focus.

Maybe it's that the OL is still out of sync for run-blocking and we'll get better. Clark was certainly abysmal in this game. Maybe teams are providing us with different fronts than we're expecting after halftime and we're not making the right calls. There's not enough film to catch all the wrinkles for 4-6 weeks into a season, normally... but that's why our offense should be basically unstoppable. Were getting 2.7 ypc in the second half trying to run out the clock (down from 4.5 in the first half). Our passing ypc is basically cut in half, from 9.5 to 5. Whatever we're trying to do, it is not working.

And maybe that's not coaching.

- lack of any killer instinct. Is this coaching? Is this a problem in a collection of players who represent their coaches? Is it independent? I dunno... but we'd better find some. SD might be finding their desire for battle. Arizona has it. Seattle and SF are both smarting and would probably like a shot at us to restore their bragging rights.

Get it together guys. The easy games are over for the first part of the schedule. The meat is here. Go feast... or get eaten in turn.

~G

Northman
09-15-2014, 02:07 PM
Good:

- We're 2-0 playing almost as badly in the 2nd halves of both games as it is possible to play. If you take our 2nd halves against those of, say, the Raiders, the Oakland morons look like a better team than us. So thank God for some fairly excellent first 25-ish minutes of ballgames.

- the RBs look into it. Ball and Anderson are both hitting holes well (when there are holes).

- Sanders is a godsend.

- Goal line stands have saved both games, so the defense plays better with their backs to the wall.

That said...

Bad:

- Coaching. Clock management at the end of the last game was abominable. Playcalling when everything isn't PERFECT has been atrocious. Our defensive schemes are drawn up with crayons. Maybe this is all part of a master plan to not show our hand to the Seahawks and come out with something completely different and polished in the Northwest... but I kinda doubt it.

I don't know why our defensive gameplan is so simplified at this point. No spy on the QB, no middle of the field coverage at all against a fairly mobile QB. We'll never get off the field against Wilson with that ridiculousness, so you'd think they'd have wanted to PRACTICE a spy LB for a minute against an actual foe before we get to the Seattle game. Apparently not. Not much stunting but still lanes are wide open and neither gap nor edge control is well-maintained. We have a press corner playing off coverage and allowing our DBs to get picked whenever they'd like. It's bad. It's like 60 minutes of some sort of soft prevent mixed with badly timed zones and ineffective blitz packages. I know the plan was to get pressure with 4 guys, maybe occasionally 5, but it's not happening frequently enough. When we had the Chiefs QB flushed out of the pocket with nowhere to run he had zero chance of completing a pass - but knowing that, we didn't try to MAKE that happen. It just did, sometimes, by accident.

On offense, we fall apart at the first sign of a penalty. 1st and 15? Uh-oh! No play call for that! Quick, punt! When one of our big plays comes back through penalty, we don't re-focus and start chunking first downs. We apparently are a cry-and-punt formation team if things aren't going our way perfectly. Not a fan of that at all.

Gase has to be better. Del Rio has to be more aggressive. Both sides of the ball need to make better half-time adjustments.

And Manning needs to audible better. Nothing Gase can do if Manning is gonna change the play at the LOS. I know we wanna run more... but we're awful at play-action at this point, and we certainly don't try to control tempo or get running first downs on third and short like you might expect if a running attack is the focus.

Maybe it's that the OL is still out of sync for run-blocking and we'll get better. Clark was certainly abysmal in this game. Maybe teams are providing us with different fronts than we're expecting after halftime and we're not making the right calls. There's not enough film to catch all the wrinkles for 4-6 weeks into a season, normally... but that's why our offense should be basically unstoppable. Were getting 2.7 ypc in the second half trying to run out the clock (down from 4.5 in the first half). Our passing ypc is basically cut in half, from 9.5 to 5. Whatever we're trying to do, it is not working.

And maybe that's not coaching.

- lack of any killer instinct. Is this coaching? Is this a problem in a collection of players who represent their coaches? Is it independent? I dunno... but we'd better find some. SD might be finding their desire for battle. Arizona has it. Seattle and SF are both smarting and would probably like a shot at us to restore their bragging rights.

Get it together guys. The easy games are over for the first part of the schedule. The meat is here. Go feast... or get eaten in turn.

~G

Well said. Couldnt agree more.

Magnificent Seven
09-15-2014, 02:09 PM

Good:

Bad:

100% agree with you!

Ziggy
09-16-2014, 08:55 AM
Von was spying Luck most of the Indy game. Personally I'd use Ward for that, but it's JDR's call.

MOtorboat
09-21-2014, 01:33 AM
So, the Broncos averaged 4.7 yards per carry last week.

Denver running backs averaged 5.4.

Joel
09-21-2014, 11:07 AM
So, the Broncos averaged 4.7 yards per carry last week.

Denver running backs averaged 5.4.
So stats suddenly matter when convenient? Ball had 60 yds—but over a THIRD were 23 yds on 3rd and 25. The other 11, well, 60-23=37; do the math (I get 3.3 yds/carry; yea?)

For those interested in the "RB controversy," Anderson averaged about a yard better even without HIS longest (13 yds) but got it only 5 times for a total of 31 yds. Maybe we just need a run/pass "balance" more even than 18/26; if I'm Seattle (or anyone) I don't waste much time worrying about Ball running a dozen times for 60 yds: I just play Kill the Man with Manning.

MOtorboat
09-21-2014, 11:08 AM
So stats suddenly matter when convenient? Ball had 60 yds—but over a THIRD were 23 yds on 3rd and 25. The other 11, well, 60-23=37; do the math (Iget 3.3 yds/carry; yea?)

For those interested in the "RB controversy," Anderson averaged about a yard better even without HIS longest (13 yds) but got it only 5 times for a total of 31 yds. Maybe we just need a run/pass "balance" more even than 18/42; if I'm Seattle (or anyone) I don't waste much time worrying about Ball running a dozen times for 60 yds: I just play Kill the Man with Manning.

I knew you'd find a way to disparage their efforts.

Good job Joel.

MOtorboat
09-21-2014, 11:25 AM
The Broncos did what you wanted. So you changed where the bar is.

Typical Joel.

MOtorboat
09-21-2014, 11:31 AM
For those curious, the Broncos have thrown the ball 53.9 percent of the time in the first two games. That is BELOW the league average.

Joel
09-21-2014, 11:45 AM
The Broncos did what you wanted. So you changed where the bar is.

Typical Joel.
Hey, if they can AVERAGE 4½ (let alone 5½) yds every week, I'll be ecstatic, especially if we keep our playcalling balanced enough defenses must honor the run AND pass every down.

I'm not the first nor only BF member to note literally just a couple long runs inflated a team average that was otherwise pretty anemic. Many players and even a coach or two have said the same things in more diplomatically vague terms; wanna fan-police them, too? It's their goal post and they can move it if they want to.

Hawgdriver
09-21-2014, 11:59 AM
For those curious, the Broncos have thrown the ball 53.9 percent of the time in the first two games. That is BELOW the league average.

I heard a stat that they are running on 1st down 60% of the time, which is way up from last year.