PDA

View Full Version : Chris Davis banned 25 games

Denver Native (Carol)
09-12-2014, 10:25 AM
Baltimore Orioles first baseman Chris Davis has been suspended without pay for 25 games by Major League Baseball after testing positive for an amphetamine, in violation of baseball's joint drug prevention and treatment program.

The suspension is effective immediately. The 25 games shall include all regular-season games and postseason games for which Davis would have been eligible. The Orioles lead the American League East by 10 games.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11512445/baltimore-orioles-first-baseman-chris-davis-suspended-25-games-mlb

WTE
09-12-2014, 10:32 AM
Those cheating Birds!

Slick
09-12-2014, 10:40 AM
Your comment made me check the standings. The Red Sox blow, WTE. Baltimore has a 10 game lead. Wow!

Buff
09-12-2014, 10:44 AM
Now who will hit under the mendoza line for them?

CoachChaz
09-12-2014, 10:46 AM
Actually, Davis has ADD and has a prescription for Adderal. Based on that, he gets an exemption to use it...but for some reason, MLB didnt approve his exemption application this year, so he technically got busted for amphetamine use.

On the other hand...he's hitting .196 this year, so I guess not all drugs will enhance performance.

CoachChaz
09-12-2014, 10:46 AM
Now who will hit under the mendoza line for them?

Kelly Johnson time

WTE
09-12-2014, 10:54 AM
Your comment made me check the standings. The Red Sox blow, WTE. Baltimore has a 10 game lead. Wow!

One year they are cellar dwellers, next year they are World Champs, then cellar dwellers again.

So next yr World Champs again!

CoachChaz
09-12-2014, 11:01 AM
One year they are cellar dwellers, next year they are World Champs, then cellar dwellers again.

So next yr World Champs again!

Depends on how much talent they buy this off-season. Craig, Cespedes and Kelly were decent trade pick-ups, but the rotation needs help.

Thnikkaman
09-12-2014, 11:10 AM
Actually, Davis has ADD and has a prescription for Adderal. Based on that, he gets an exemption to use it...but for some reason, MLB didnt approve his exemption application this year, so he technically got busted for amphetamine use.

On the other hand...he's hitting .196 this year, so I guess not all drugs will enhance performance.

In other news, the Rox just put Michael Cuddyer on wavers. #GoGetHimOrioles #NoNotReally_TheRoxWouldntDoSomethingSmartLikeThat

CoachChaz
09-12-2014, 11:11 AM
In other news, the Rox just put Michael Cuddyer on wavers. #GoGetHimOrioles #NoNotReally_TheRoxWouldntDoSomethingSmartLikeThat

Wouldnt matter much. Anyone added now isnt eligible for the post-season roster.

Northman
09-12-2014, 11:28 AM
Thats a big loss regardless of his play this year. You never know if he would show up in crunch in the playoffs.

WTE
09-12-2014, 11:29 AM
Depends on how much talent they buy this off-season. Craig, Cespedes and Kelly were decent trade pick-ups, but the rotation needs help.

Craig has been absolutely awful in Boston and strikes out every other AB. Joe Kelly is the complete definition of an avg pitcher who does not have a "go-to" pitch and often fails in critical situations.

I am not happy at all with what Boston got in return for John Lackey who is under contract for just $500,000 next year.

CoachChaz
09-12-2014, 11:38 AM
Craig has been absolutely awful in Boston and strikes out every other AB. Joe Kelly is the complete definition of an avg pitcher who does not have a "go-to" pitch and often fails in critical situations.

I am not happy at all with what Boston got in return for John Lackey who is under contract for just $500,000 next year.

That's why I used the word "decent". Kelly is still young, too.

CoachChaz
09-12-2014, 11:41 AM
Thats a big loss regardless of his play this year. You never know if he would show up in crunch in the playoffs.

Yes and no. It's always nice to have that big bat in the lineup that can go deep at any time...but...playoffs is all about pitching. That being said, Kelly Johnson's OPS this year isnt much lower than Davis'. Where I would immediately see a concern is with 3B defense. However...our playoff competition doesnt exactly have great gloves at the hot corner either (Castellanos, Moustakas, Donaldson), so...maybe its a wash.

We've already survived the losses of Weiters and Machado (gold glovers)...I think we'll make it alright without Davis.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-12-2014, 11:57 AM
Davis released a statement of apology through the players' association Friday morning.

"I apologize to my teammates, coaches, the Orioles organization and especially the fans,'' he said. "I made a mistake by taking Adderall. I had permission to use it in the past, but do not have a therapeutic use exemption this year. I accept my punishment and will begin serving my suspension immediately."

full article - http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11512445/baltimore-orioles-first-baseman-chris-davis-suspended-25-games-mlb

If he had permission to use it in the past, it does not make sense that the MLB would not keep giving him permission to use it. Did he not seek permission for the 2014 season?

CoachChaz
09-12-2014, 12:02 PM
full article - http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11512445/baltimore-orioles-first-baseman-chris-davis-suspended-25-games-mlb

If he had permission to use it in the past, it does not make sense that the MLB would not keep giving him permission to use it. Did he not seek permission for the 2014 season?

The thought is his permission was denied based on the season he had last year. Then when you compare it to what he's doing this year...maybe it makes sense. Not that it improved his performance, but Adderal helps with focus and maybe the added help with focus is why last year was so good for him. Who knows. With limited information, it's all speculation at this point.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-12-2014, 12:38 PM
Under the terms of MLB's drug agreement, a first offense for a stimulant violation results in followup testing. A second violation brings a 25-game suspension, and a third offense results in an 80-game suspension.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11512445/baltimore-orioles-first-baseman-chris-davis-suspended-25-games-mlb

CoachChaz
09-12-2014, 12:55 PM

Yeah...the speculation is that the waiver was denied in the off-season and Davis just continued to use it anyway due to his ADHD. Who knows

OrangeHoof
09-12-2014, 03:58 PM
Amazing how many of these players get suspended just before starting a series with the Yankees...

CoachChaz
09-13-2014, 08:04 AM
Amazing how many of these players get suspended just before starting a series with the Yankees...

Oddly enough...this was a big topic on the Orioles board I belong to. But beating them in both games of the double header yesterday was a fair middle finger.