PDA

View Full Version : Pass Rush?

CrazyHorse
09-07-2014, 10:48 PM
Where was it?

ShaneFalco
09-07-2014, 10:52 PM
ware had 2 sacks?

Von pressured Luck a bunch into sacks from Wolfe, and a pick.

Simple Jaded
09-07-2014, 11:07 PM
Solid pass rush, turnovers, passes defended and Goal-to-Go stands, I like what I saw from the D. I think the key to this pass rush was keeping Luck from stepping up in the pocket and/or running the ball, they couldn't just pin their ears back and let their QB run free behind Man2Man coverage. The Colts 3-5 step drops didn't help either.

It's a good start, imo.

weazel
09-07-2014, 11:09 PM
Ware looked great, like he did a couple years ago!

Shazam!
09-07-2014, 11:12 PM
How could anyone not be happy with this game 1 turn out idk...

ShaneFalco
09-07-2014, 11:15 PM
i think our LBS got kind of exposed, but even then the more time they get (Irving and Marshall) on the field, they better they will be. Irving had a pretty good game.

You dont learn from playing on the bench.

broncosinindy
09-07-2014, 11:20 PM
i think our LBS got kind of exposed, but even then the more time they get (Irving and Marshall) on the field, they better they will be. Irving had a pretty good game.

You dont learn from playing on the bench.Irving had a great game

DenBronx
09-07-2014, 11:22 PM
Irving played great too.

Will Trevathan come back this year?

CrazyHorse
09-07-2014, 11:23 PM
Irving played great too.

Will Trevathan come back this year?

I don't see why not. Marshall was his replacement at weakside linebacker.

broncosinindy
09-07-2014, 11:34 PM
Irving played great too.

Will Trevathan come back this year?speculation.. I've heard after the bi week

Joel
09-07-2014, 11:51 PM
The pass rush could've been better, but wasn't awful, and the D played pretty well over all. An Int and lots of three-and-outs in the first half; two goal line stands and another Int in the second, with a few sacks tossed in for good measure. The main thing that killed us was 2:00 drills, which is bad, because when an offense puts up as many points as ours does, the defense spends a LOT of time facing 2:00 drills; usually most of the second half. That was pretty much our situation tonight, and not for the first time, and they usually handled it pretty well

The one glaring exception was the impermissible one that's plagued us ever since Manning came to lead us to the promised land: Too many long balls. It's just like getting off the field on 3rd and long, only to the nth degree: You can do EVERYTHING else right; stuff the run for -2 on 1st down, get a sack for 7 more on 2nd down—and if you give up a 20 yd pass on 3rd down you're right back to 1st and 10: Only change is you're 20 yds closer to your own end zone. And you can dominate an offense all game but LOSE to a handful of Hail Maries at the end, especially since the rules made them so much easier.

Considering our D spent most of the second half on the field though, with three key starters having to rotate because two missed pretty much all of camp, they did a pretty good job—until they got completely worn down by our great pass—er, "offenses" inability to sustain drives with the lead by doing what offenses do to sustain drives with the lead: Run the ball to protect possession, kill the clock and keep their D fresh enough DBs can sprint 50 yds downfield EVERY down while pass rushers sprint for the QB on the bad guys' next possession.

Blaming tonight on our D is like blaming our SB beatdown on our D playing without half a dozen starters. People have tried that, too, but Elway publicly (and rightly) said our D was the ONLY thing that kept us IN that game till halftime, while our offense couldn't even manage a FIRST DOWN till the SECOND QUARTER and only managed to avoid a SHUTOUT on the THIRD QUARTERS LAST PLAY. If passing's all we've got, all 31 other teams will know that, too, and game plan accordingly.

Even if they don't, when we have to protect those big second half leads, we won't be able to, because incompletes don't kill the clock or rest our D, and Ints thrown because of blitzes due to the fact we're up 10 pts in the 4th but STILL PASSING will open the door to comebacks. Our last "drive" (before the kneels) began with just 3:15 left and lasted all of 28 SECONDS:

1st and 10: 0 yd run; Colts call final TO
2nd and 10: Incomplete
3rd and 10: Incomplete

Is that the Ds fault? The D that promptly went out and allowed only ONE first down before 4 stops that let our offense seal the win with the ONLY thing it could do the second half (i.e. run for NEGATIVE yards)? Our offense only scored ONCE in the second half: Because the D held Indy to three-and-out inside their 10, so we only had to go 48 yds for the TD. Yet that 3:31 drive was almost a minute longer than ANY of our other drives the WHOLE SECOND HALF. Plus Orange Julius nearly fumbled the ball back to them; since we only won by a TD, losing that TD drive would've meant OT.

In an OT the first TD (and ANY score afer two possessions) wins, I have little faith in an offense that went three-and-out FOUR TIMES in the second half, especially RIGHT after that forced our D to sprint its way that whole half till exhausted. I'm glad they had that little bit left to keep Indy out of our end zone for yet a THIRD time in the half—but where was historys greatest pass—er, "offense"?

Running for 3.2 yds per carry and forcing Manning to singlehandedly win the game with his arm, while Indy ignored the impotent run and blitzed everyone who wasn't in coverage, making all the 3rd and longs we routinely faced that much harder, while every incomplete was as good as a TO—except for our D, who went back on the field that much sooner. If that sounds a lot like SB XLVIII, it should, but let's not blame our one-dimensional offense on our D (again.) Age turns that kind of argument to vinegar, not wine.

Simple Jaded
09-07-2014, 11:55 PM
I'm thinking they need more reps for whomever is Irving's backup, Johnson looked like he was guessing when he was in there.

Simple Jaded
09-07-2014, 11:57 PM
Wtf the **** does Manning have to do with giving up the long pass?

Simple Jaded
09-08-2014, 12:03 AM
This jackoff has a lotta balls complaining about the stress THIS offense puts on the defense, quite possibly the single biggest hypocrite three years running.

MOtorboat
09-08-2014, 12:27 AM
The pass rush could've been better, but wasn't awful, and the D played pretty well over all. An Int and lots of three-and-outs in the first half; two goal line stands and another Int in the second, with a few sacks tossed in for good measure. The main thing that killed us was 2:00 drills, which is bad, because when an offense puts up as many points as ours does, the defense spends a LOT of time facing 2:00 drills; usually most of the second half. That was pretty much our situation tonight, and not for the first time, and they usually handled it pretty well

The one glaring exception was the impermissible one that's plagued us ever since Manning came to lead us to the promised land: Too many long balls. It's just like getting off the field on 3rd and long, only to the nth degree: You can do EVERYTHING else right; stuff the run for -2 on 1st down, get a sack for 7 more on 2nd down—and if you give up a 20 yd pass on 3rd down you're right back to 1st and 10: Only change is you're 20 yds closer to your own end zone. And you can dominate an offense all game but LOSE to a handful of Hail Maries at the end, especially since the rules made them so much easier.

Considering our D spent most of the second half on the field though, with three key starters having to rotate because two missed pretty much all of camp, they did a pretty good job—until they got completely worn down by our great pass—er, "offenses" inability to sustain drives with the lead by doing what offenses do to sustain drives with the lead: Run the ball to protect possession, kill the clock and keep their D fresh enough DBs can sprint 50 yds downfield EVERY down while pass rushers sprint for the QB on the bad guys' next possession.

Blaming tonight on our D is like blaming our SB beatdown on our D playing without half a dozen starters. People have tried that, too, but Elway publicly (and rightly) said our D was the ONLY thing that kept us IN that game till halftime, while our offense couldn't even manage a FIRST DOWN till the SECOND QUARTER and only managed to avoid a SHUTOUT on the THIRD QUARTERS LAST PLAY. If passing's all we've got, all 31 other teams will know that, too, and game plan accordingly.

Even if they don't, when we have to protect those big second half leads, we won't be able to, because incompletes don't kill the clock or rest our D, and Ints thrown because of blitzes due to the fact we're up 10 pts in the 4th but STILL PASSING will open the door to comebacks. Our last "drive" (before the kneels) began with just 3:15 left and lasted all of 28 SECONDS:

1st and 10: 0 yd run; Colts call final TO
2nd and 10: Incomplete
3rd and 10: Incomplete

Is that the Ds fault? The D that promptly went out and allowed only ONE first down before 4 stops that let our offense seal the win with the ONLY thing it could do the second half (i.e. run for NEGATIVE yards)? Our offense only scored ONCE in the second half: Because the D held Indy to three-and-out inside their 10, so we only had to go 48 yds for the TD. Yet that 3:31 drive was almost a minute longer than ANY of our other drives the WHOLE SECOND HALF. Plus Orange Julius nearly fumbled the ball back to them; since we only won by a TD, losing that TD drive would've meant OT.

In an OT the first TD (and ANY score afer two possessions) wins, I have little faith in an offense that went three-and-out FOUR TIMES in the second half, especially RIGHT after that forced our D to sprint its way that whole half till exhausted. I'm glad they had that little bit left to keep Indy out of our end zone for yet a THIRD time in the half—but where was historys greatest pass—er, "offense"?

Running for 3.2 yds per carry and forcing Manning to singlehandedly win the game with his arm, while Indy ignored the impotent run and blitzed everyone who wasn't in coverage, making all the 3rd and longs we routinely faced that much harder, while every incomplete was as good as a TO—except for our D, who went back on the field that much sooner. If that sounds a lot like SB XLVIII, it should, but let's not blame our one-dimensional offense on our D (again.) Age turns that kind of argument to vinegar, not wine.

I blame the Denver offense for getting a win! The Denver defense too.

Blame!? LMAO!

MOtorboat
09-08-2014, 12:37 AM
The Broncos had three sacks tonight. Only six teams had more this weekend. I think the pass rush is fine.

Bronco4ever
09-08-2014, 12:40 AM
The Broncos had three sacks tonight. Only six teams had more this weekend. I think the pass rush is fine.

I'd say that's pretty good against a guy like Luck who is mobile and hard to bring down.

Joel
09-08-2014, 12:51 AM
Wtf the **** does Manning have to do with giving up the long pass?
Not a thing: The nonexistent run blocking that forced Manning to be a one-man offense has a LOT to do with it though, because that's what kept our D on the field so long throughout the second half, and even the best athletes can only sprint the length of the field to knock down Hail Maries so many times before they start huffing and puffing in Mile High air. Incompletes don't rest our D, and even Manning throws lots of incompletes (incompletes if we're LUCKY) when opponents can ignore our pitiful run game to focus exclusively on him. It didn't look as bad as Seattle, but Indys D's not Seattles.

I blame the Denver offense for getting a win! The Denver defense too.

Blame!? LMAO!
A thread titled "Pass Rush?" with a question mark strongly implies there's blame to be laid (probably because we nearlyl blew a 24-0 lead for the second straight year, and would've if our awful D hadn't given our great offense a 48 yd short field for its ONLY second half score, then knocked down Indys 4th down pass after historys greatest passing went on a 3 play "drive" lasting 0:28.)

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-08-2014, 09:04 AM
I'd say that's pretty good against a guy like Luck who is mobile and hard to bring down.

They have a really good line too.

TXBRONC
09-08-2014, 09:28 AM
Where was it?

It was on the field constantly giving Luck a hard time. It produced three or four sacks and two interceptions.

Mike
09-08-2014, 09:32 AM
It was on the field constantly giving Luck a hard time. It produced three or four sacks and two interceptions.

Tips produced the ints if I remember right. And Luck looked to have a lot of time for the most part in the second half.

TXBRONC
09-08-2014, 09:33 AM
Tips produced the ints if I remember right. And Luck looked to have a lot of time for the most part in the second half.

Tips produced by pressure.

chazoe60
09-08-2014, 09:42 AM
This thread is comedy gold, gold I tell ya.

GEM
09-08-2014, 12:28 PM

They got us where teams seem to get us a lot. Short passes over and over that end up eating a lot of field.

MOtorboat
09-08-2014, 01:07 PM
They got us where teams seem to get us a lot. Short passes over and over that end up eating a lot of field.

It's a good strategy. It's how Denver and New England do it too. Not many teams have found a good way to stop it. Not that the Broncos couldn't or shouldn't try, it's just an effective offense.

tripp
09-08-2014, 02:05 PM
I think we would have seen a better defence in the second half, not saying they were terrible in the 2nd half last night, but it's obvious they were gassed, and rightfully so after spending the majority of the time on the field. If the offence had strung a couple of 1st downs together, it would've given the defence time to catch their breath and re-group before having to take the field again.

I see us losing that game with our defence from last year.