PDA

View Full Version : Klis: Broncos owner Pat Bowlen played star role on NBC's blockbuster program

Denver Native (Carol)
09-07-2014, 11:54 AM
In a bittersweet twist, Pat Bowlen for the first time in his 31 years as Broncos owner will not be in attendance for a Denver regular-season or playoff game Sunday night while approximately 25 million others enjoy the prime-time show he helped usher into America's households.

"He was the single major force in getting 'Sunday Night Football,' " said Dick Ebersol, the former chairman of NBC Sports.

During the first TV timeout in Denver's season opener Sunday against the Indianapolis Colts, the Broncos will pay tribute to Bowlen, wife Annabel and the Bowlen family on Sports Authority Field at Mile High's Jumbo-Tron while also acknowledging that Alzheimer's disease has afflicted so many, including one of the most successful owners in all of pro sports.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/klis/ci_26482654/broncos-owner-pat-bowlen-played-star-role-nbcs

Tned
09-07-2014, 12:10 PM
Nice article.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-07-2014, 12:17 PM
Nice article.

I had no idea how much Mr. B was involved in things like this

from article:

"I believe during his years as chairman of the TV committee, Pat Bowlen had more to do with how we watch football in America right now than anybody else in the league," Ebersol said. "His tough and direct manner made him someone who you just instantly had to respect.

"You can say he was the father of 'Sunday Night Football.' It never would have happened without him."

slim
09-07-2014, 05:43 PM
Love Pat.

If he doesn't make the HOF, the place should be burned down.

Joel
09-07-2014, 07:08 PM
I had no idea how much Mr. B was involved in things like this
I never knew he was head of the NFLs TV committee, but give that it makes a lot of sense. I just wish he'd been able to keep MNF away from ESPN; I realize a lot's changed since then, and most folks have cable now, but the genius of Rozelles TV deals was that viewers had FREE access to ALL games, and all the major networks got a plum to make it worth their while:

NBC got exclusive AFC rights,
CBS got exclusive NFC rights
ABC got a nice consolation prize in the ONLY prime time game broadcast NATIONALLY, with two of the previous seasons top teams facing each other weekly.

Foxs rise upset that apple cart a bit because there were no longer enough plums to go 'round (hence ABC currently has NOTHING,) but SNF would've been a great way to fix that. A way that DIDN'T force television viewers to PAY for the privilege of seeing one of the primetime nationally broadcast games. I turn 40 in a week but have had cable all of TWO YEARS in my whole life, because I share my parents conviction against paying for TV: We own the airwaves, and passive reception impairs no use of them, so make broadcasters pay for the right to monopolize a frequency while we pay nothing.

My football problem is, of course, that means I haven't been able to legally watch Monday Night Football in almost a decade. Point being: Good job with SNF; I just wish MNF had stayed where it belonged.

BroncoJoe
09-07-2014, 07:16 PM
Typically they wear the owners initials when they pass away, and clearly Mr. B hasn't, but I'd still like to see it in the unis.

GEM
09-08-2014, 08:40 AM
Nice standing ovation for him at the game last night. Really gotta love that man and what he's meant for us as Broncos fans.