PDA

View Full Version : Browns sign Vinston Painter from practice squad

iLands
09-03-2014, 12:24 AM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Broncos-sign-Kevin-McDermott-to-practice-squad/001e5e8e-53b3-46fa-a4ee-29a6989d9d4f

Following Vinston Painter's signing [...] to the Cleveland Browns' active roster...

Dapper Dan
09-03-2014, 02:04 AM
Shit. I didn't even know you could do that.

Davii
09-03-2014, 02:15 AM
Shit. I didn't even know you could do that.

Yeah, any team can sign them to their active 53 man roster. The team can stop it, but they must put the player on their own active roster.

Dapper Dan
09-03-2014, 03:23 AM
Yeah, any team can sign them to their active 53 man roster. The team can stop it, but they must put the player on their own active roster.

So we could lose Dysert just like that?

Traveler
09-03-2014, 08:42 AM

Bingo! SF tried signing Painter late in the season last year. Denver promoted him to the active roster to keep him.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-03-2014, 10:54 AM
I'm not going to lose a lot of sleep over whether or not we lose our 3rd string QB.

Davii
09-03-2014, 11:58 AM

Anyone on any practice squad can be signed away, but they MUST be placed on the active 53 man roster. The team who had them on their squad can block but only by putting them on their own 53 man roster. That player can be cut by either team a week later.

I don't remember who, but last year I think Indy tried signing one of our guys so we moved him up, they signed someone else so we cut him and put him back on the practice squad.

Dapper Dan
09-03-2014, 01:01 PM
I'm not going to lose a lot of sleep over whether or not we lose our 3rd string QB.

As soon as Manning is gone, he's our solid #2.

Joel
09-03-2014, 05:39 PM
Just our #2, I suspect, and quite possibly not even that. Signing an aging former starter as our #1 if Manning's hurt may not make sense, but as Ozs backup? As opposed to a 2nd year 7th rounder? If Oz just isn't ready or flat out bombs, I'd need glasses so orange they're opaque to think VY or even Kitna's not a better option than Dysert at this point.

Sucks losing Painter though, 'cause I'm still a bit insecure about our backup offensive linemen (though I usually do) and the SB was a great reminder that even the best QB needs someone to keep the D out of the backfield long enough to do his job, and even the hungriest RB needs someone to push the D and open a hole or two for him. Painter with Montgomery made a nice swing duo: A C with G experience and G with T experience. I'm unconvinced a G with DT experience is an equal/better alternative.

Montgomery's still a nice versatile 6th lineman inside, and hopes and prayers no injury ever promotes him (though if there's one place injuries are practically guaranteed at some point in the season, it's in the trenches.) If that happens though, any further injuries would leave us looking at converted DT or whatever's on the waiver wire. It is what it is though; best of luck to Painter unless we're playing Cleveland (which probably won't be till next year) and best of luck to the Broncos starting and backup linemen.

Ravage!!!
09-03-2014, 05:45 PM
who?

BroncoWave
09-03-2014, 05:53 PM

Meh, I don't think it would be too difficult to find someone else just as good.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-03-2014, 06:49 PM

Manning is gonna play until he's 67 years old.

G_Money
09-03-2014, 07:40 PM
Oz may retire before Manning.

Simple Jaded
09-03-2014, 11:48 PM
Ya know if Jon Kitna is busy maybe they should call Craig Morton, he already knows the area and my Mom has a crush on him.

Northman
09-04-2014, 04:43 AM

My sentiments exactly.

TXBRONC
09-04-2014, 06:47 AM
Just our #2, I suspect, and quite possibly not even that. Signing an aging former starter as our #1 if Manning's hurt may not make sense, but as Ozs backup? As opposed to a 2nd year 7th rounder? If Oz just isn't ready or flat out bombs, I'd need glasses so orange they're opaque to think VY or even Kitna's not a better option than Dysert at this point.

Sucks losing Painter though, 'cause I'm still a bit insecure about our backup offensive linemen (though I usually do) and the SB was a great reminder that even the best QB needs someone to keep the D out of the backfield long enough to do his job, and even the hungriest RB needs someone to push the D and open a hole or two for him. Painter with Montgomery made a nice swing duo: A C with G experience and G with T experience. I'm unconvinced a G with DT experience is an equal/better alternative.

Montgomery's still a nice versatile 6th lineman inside, and hopes and prayers no injury ever promotes him (though if there's one place injuries are practically guaranteed at some point in the season, it's in the trenches.) If that happens though, any further injuries would leave us looking at converted DT or whatever's on the waiver wire. It is what it is though; best of luck to Painter unless we're playing Cleveland (which probably won't be till next year) and best of luck to the Broncos starting and backup linemen.

Yeah signing a veteran quarterback off the street who has no experience in the offense is always a better option. :rolleyes:

Pudge
09-04-2014, 09:50 AM
Meh, I don't think it would be too difficult to find someone else just as good.

Maybe I'm wrong but I took Danny's comment as sarcasm

Dapper Dan
09-04-2014, 12:43 PM
Maybe I'm wrong but I took Danny's comment as sarcasm

Nah. I'd actually like to keep Dysert. It's not a big deal if he's gone. I just think the FO has him hanging around for a reason. He must be decent. I'm not really good with change. I won't lose any sleep. I'm not sure why that came up. I'm not gonna go on a shooting rampage if we lose Dysert. I'm not going to get really depressed and start writing country songs. Etc etc