PDA

View Full Version : Stokley Confident He'll Play Sunday

TXBRONC
12-01-2007, 01:25 AM
Lot's of interesting stuff in here. Stokley thinks he'll be good to go Sunday and there was another thread that said something to the effect that Javon's availability is in question this one says something completely different. So I wonder what's going on. :confused:

Also it's looking like JaMarcus Russell might be making his first start on Sunday.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2007/nov/30/broncos-report/

Broncos report
By Lee Rasizer, Rocky Mountain News (Contact)
Friday, November 30, 2007

Off the mark

Champ Bailey knows the drill by now.

He usually will get an early pass thrown his direction followed by a lull and a late-game challenge.

And while last season, the Broncos' seven-time Pro Bowl cornerback turned those rare opportunities into game-changing plays, things have gone differently so far. Through 11 games, he has only two interceptions and 12 pass break-ups compared with five and 20 at this point in 2006, when he was runner-up for NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

"Last year, I made more plays, so people were more afraid to come at me. This year, it's harder getting those plays because they're real careful about how they throw the ball at me. Everything's underneath," Bailey said. "There's not many deep balls. I got a lot of deep-ball picks last year, balls that kind of sailed and this and that."

Bailey was victimized Sunday on Bernard Berrian's tying touchdown late in the fourth quarter when he slipped in the end zone off a double move. It continued a recent trend of team's looking his way a little more frequently and fearlessly.

Green Bay got the ball over Bailey's head on a 79-yard touchdown pass to James Jones on Oct. 29. And the cornerback benefited from a bad drop by Tennessee's Brandon Jones on another long heave on the Titans' opening series Nov. 19.

Bailey maintained he's fine with his season to date, explaining that while statistically his numbers are down "as far as my play, I'm doing OK."

Bailey remains a force against the run and as a team captain. And there's no question he still influences games by his mere presence in the defensive backfield.

"I wish I could have gotten more (interceptions), but at the same time, you can't just force anything, either," said Bailey, who entered the season with 18 interceptions the past two seasons. "I'll just take what comes at me, keep playing great technique and things will fall into place."

Fitting in

Quarterback Jay Cutler remarked earlier this week he felt receiver Javon Walker should be "a little more of a factor" in the offense this week and beyond after Walker's brief appearance in Chicago.

Walker responded he has "no problem with" whatever is asked of him but coming off right knee surgery, he still is trying to get back to the point where he consistently can contribute physically and teamwise.

"While I've been out eight weeks, the receivers have been playing great ball, so you can't take them out of their rhythm," Walker said.

"You've got to let them keep on going. And I'm going to gradually play my role, and when it's time for something to happen, let something happen."

Walker added he doesn't believe his knee will be fully healed until the offseason, despite his lengthy absence.

Eb and flow

It's easy to become an invisible man on injured reserve. But defensive end Ebenezer Ekuban still is around, rehabilitating the torn right Achilles' tendon he suffered in August. And he's planning on coming back strong for the first on-field preparations for 2008.

"I'm on pace. And I'm optimistic that definitely by, even minicamps, I should be ready to go," Ekuban said.

The nine-year pro got the boot on his right foot removed about a month ago. He has been riding a stationary bicycle, walking the treadmill and doing elliptical work.

In hindsight, Ekuban said he's fortunate the injury occurred when it did so it won't affect his status heading into another season.

"When I did it, I was cautiously optimistic that, 'Hey, I'll come back,' " the 31-year old lineman said. "But now I'm overwhelmingly optimistic that I'll come back, seeing the likes of Greg Ellis come back with the Cowboys and (Jacksonville's) Reggie Hayward come back from it. My mentality has definitely changed, watching those guys produce and do well."

And it was all yellow

The Broncos have matched their 2006 season for penalties and are 33 yards short of their total mark-off, as well. But more striking is the Broncos are in danger of having more flags than an opponent during a season for the fourth time under coach Mike Shanahan:

Year Den. pen/yds Opp pen/yds

2007* 67-445 59-487

2002 104-877 99-829

1998 115-1,023 113-865

1995 109-851 103-848

*Through 11 games

Injury report

* Brandon Stokley returned to practice after missing Wednesday's workout with a sore right knee and said he's "confident" of his availability Sunday against the Raiders. The receiver might have bumped knees or gotten kicked in the leg late in Sunday's game in Chicago, resulting in a bruise.

"I felt good out there," he said after practice. "Everything should be good to go."

* Overall, the Broncos listed 11 players on the injured list but all but one - running back Andre Hall (ankle) - was a full practice participant.

* The Raiders added starting quarterback Daunte Culpepper to the injury report with a quadriceps problem that forced him out of a portion of practice. It might open the door for JaMarcus Russell, the 2007 No. 1 overall pick, to make his debut. Raiders coach Lane Kiffin has said he wants Russell to play in sub packages before taking over as the eventual starter.

He said it

"People are doing their jobs. Don't buy into all these changes. We haven't changed anything because you don't implement something in your package midseason. You have it in your package. We're running the same plays. Nothing has changed on the defensive line, except for a couple people."

Sam Adams, Broncos defensive tackle, on a perceived switch in approach from gap-plugging to more attack-oriented on the front four as the season has progressed.

Simple Jaded
12-01-2007, 01:34 AM
"While I've been out eight weeks, the receivers have been playing great ball, so you can't take them out of their rhythm," Walker said.

"You've got to let them keep on going. And I'm going to gradually play my role, and when it's time for something to happen, let something happen."--Javon Walker

I like this, it shows class......

TXBRONC
12-01-2007, 01:37 AM

"You've got to let them keep on going. And I'm going to gradually play my role, and when it's time for something to happen, let something happen."--Javon Walker

I like this, it shows class......

If he's available to play I still hope get him more involved than they did last week.

Simple Jaded
12-01-2007, 01:42 AM
If he's available to play I still hope get him more involved than they did last week.

I just hope he's healthy, anything he can contribute will be gravy......

TXBRONC
12-01-2007, 01:51 AM
I just hope he's healthy, anything he can contribute will be gravy......

Absolutely I want Javon to be healthy first and foremost and if he is I hope they can get him more involved. I would bet that at least one of the reasons Javon didn't play much in Chicago had to do with field condition and fact he was just coming back from knee surgery.

pnbronco
12-01-2007, 11:50 AM
While I've been out eight weeks, the receivers have been playing great ball, so you can't take them out of their rhythm," Walker said.

I really like this statement also. It shows leadership and team work to me.

omac
12-01-2007, 12:31 PM
Nice find, TXBRONC! :salute:

I just hope Javon fully recovers from the knee surgery and it never bothers him again; I also hope he plays for the Broncos at a high level for a very long time.

On the note about JaMarcus ..... Why is Kiffin choosing to start him now? It's not that I think he'll do well; odds are, he'll do pretty badly. But we already know that Daunte and Josh aren't very good. JaMarcus probably will play bad, but there's a small chance that he might actually play better than the other 2 Raider QBs. Ack. Champ and Bly, better play the deep balls great; defense, force him to be consistent and give him a lot of looks.

TXBRONC
12-01-2007, 12:38 PM
Nice find, TXBRONC! :salute:

I just hope Javon fully recovers from the knee surgery and it never bothers him again; I also hope he plays for the Broncos at a high level for a very long time.

On the note about JaMarcus ..... Why is Kiffin choosing to start him now? It's not that I think he'll do well; odds are, he'll do pretty badly. But we already know that Daunte and Josh aren't very good. JaMarcus probably will play bad, but there's a small chance that he might actually play better than the other 2 Raider QBs. Ack. Champ and Bly, better play the deep balls great; defense, force him to be consistent and give him a lot of looks.

They might as well play him they really have nothing to lose by doing so. Although I don't think he would fair better than the other than Josh or Andrew. They have been there from the beginning whereas Russell hasn't.

Lonestar
12-01-2007, 02:48 PM
They might as well play him they really have nothing to lose by doing so. Although I don't think he would fair better than the other than Josh or Andrew. They have been there from the beginning whereas Russell hasn't.

I disagree to put him into the fray with a really bad team can not help his confidence. While he is a great specimen he was not even on the radar prior to his senior season as a QB.
Had he been stud at QB for a year or two before perhaps it would be good to get him some experience late in the year when you really have nothing to lose

Retired_Member_001
12-01-2007, 03:03 PM
I disagree to put him into the fray with a really bad team can not help his confidence.[/COLOR]

Really good point there.

I can kind of see what Kiffin is thinking. The chances are the Faiders aren't going to have to throw the ball much. However Kiffin will have to keep playing Russell and it will damage his confidence when he faces better defenses. If Russell does end up having to throw the ball, then he's going to get his confidence shattered. His receivers don't match up well against Champ and Dre', and Champ and Dre' will jump at the opportunity to pick off a ball.

TXBRONC
12-01-2007, 03:09 PM
Really good point there.

I can kind of see what Kiffin is thinking. The chances are the Faiders aren't going to have to throw the ball much. However Kiffin will have to keep playing Russell and it will damage his confidence when he faces better defenses. If Russell does end up having to throw the ball, then he's going to get his confidence shattered. His receivers don't match up well against Champ and Dre', and Champ and Dre' will jump at the opportunity to pick off a ball.

Regardless of how bad we've been against the run they're still going have to throw the ball at some point.

Also according to SR our run defense is ranked 8th since our bye week. That's pretty substantially turnaround considering how we started off this season.

Lonestar
12-01-2007, 03:15 PM
Really good point there.

Their receiver do not match up with almost any one. I see a large dose of hand the ball off to their RB's most of the day UNLESS we get lucky with a couple of cheap score and get big lead.

Retired_Member_001
12-01-2007, 03:53 PM
Regardless of how bad we've been against the run they're still going have to throw the ball at some point.

Also according to SR our run defense is ranked 8th since our bye week. That's pretty substantially turnaround considering how we started off this season.

That is a good point.

However since the BYE week we have played three of the worst running teams in the league.

Retired_Member_001
12-01-2007, 03:58 PM
Their receiver do not match up with almost any one. I see a large dose of hand the ball off to their RB's most of the day UNLESS we get lucky with a couple of cheap score and get big lead.

I agree.

Have the corners play man to man with a safety covering deep and have everyone else playing the run. We should do this minus third down situations.

TXBRONC
12-01-2007, 03:59 PM
That is a good point.

However since the BYE week we have played three of the worst running teams in the league.

We have also one of the best running teams in the League in the Titans. Most of their rushing yards were accounted for by Young on scrambles otherwise our defense did quite well against their rushing attack.

Lonestar
12-01-2007, 03:59 PM

While our Run defense has improved look at the real numbers in almost ever case we gave tehm more yards and YPC than there YTD average.. Not impressive at all. IMO

YTD ave game/ypc rankingyards/YPC we gave them
PIT 141 per 4.2 YPC #2 119-4.6
GB 85 per 3.8 #30 105-3.9
DET 82 per 4.0 #32 47-2.9 but 256 passing
KC 85.4 3.3 #29 67-3.0
TEN 132 4.0 #4 133-4.6
CHI 85.3 3.3 #31 122-3.8
OAK 131.4 4.2 #5
KC SEE Above
HOU 91.1 3.6 #23
SAN 105 3.9 #17
MIN 173.3 5.6 #1

Denver for the year rushing defense 146.7 4.7 #29 since the break 98.8 per game # 12

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&statisticCategory=RUSHING&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=&seasonType=REG

TXBRONC
12-01-2007, 04:08 PM
While our Run defense has improved look at the real numbers in almost ever case we gave tehm more yards and YPC than there YTD average.. Not impressive at all. IMO

YTD ave game/ypc rankingyards/YPC we gave them
PIT 141 per 4.2 YPC #2 119-4.6
GB 85 per 3.8 #30 105-3.9
DET 82 per 4.0 #32 47-2.9 but 256 passing
KC 85.4 3.3 #29 141-4.9
TEN 132 4.0 #4 133-4.6
CHI 85.3 3.3 #31 122-3.8
OAK 131.4 4.2 #5
KC SEE Above
HOU 91.1 3.6 #23
SAN 105 3.9 #17
MIN 173.3 5.6 #1

Denver for the year rushing defense 146.7 4.7 #29 since the break 111.2 per game # 20

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&statisticCategory=RUSHING&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=&seasonType=REG

We gave up 141 yards rushing to the Chiefs? Are you sure?

Lonestar
12-01-2007, 04:09 PM
We gave up 141 yards rushing to the Chiefs? Are you sure?

I'll go back and look at it but I think that is what it said..

Read the wrong column it was 67 not 141 tahnsk fro noticing I usually have the numbers correct..
Was disrupted by a call from my wife who is in NYC for a Quinceañera of a co workers daugther. Lost my train of thought..

TXBRONC
12-01-2007, 04:10 PM
I'll go back and look at it but I think that is what it said..

I would check the box score from the game.

Lonestar
12-01-2007, 04:21 PM
I would check the box score from the game.
I always do but have corrected it thanks for bringing it up..

Skinny
12-01-2007, 06:12 PM
27 points, 34 points and 34 points in our last 3 games has been our best rush defense IMO. As long as we're putting up points and not letting teams dictate the tempo of the game by running the ball ... our defense does'nt have to stop it. The very thing teams were able do to us in the first half of the season.

TXBRONC
12-01-2007, 06:17 PM
27 points, 34 points and 34 points in our last 3 games has been our best rush defense IMO. As long as we're putting up points and not letting teams dictate the tempo of the game by running the ball ... our defense does'nt have to stop it. The very thing teams were able do to us in the first half of the season.

That's a very good point Skin. I would like to add though I think over the past few weeks I think our defense has tightened up to some degree. I'm not saying want put any game in the hands of the defense but they are playing better for what that is worth.

Skinny
12-01-2007, 06:29 PM
I think over the past few weeks I think our defense has tightened up to some degree. I'm not saying want put any game in the hands of the defense but they are playing better for what that is worth.True ... over that stretch the Defense has'nt been giving up big plays. They've been giving the Offense a chance ... no doubt.