PDA

View Full Version : BTV Live: Elway on initial 53-man roster

Denver Native (Carol)
08-30-2014, 04:48 PM
Watch as John Elway meets the media at approximately 4 p.m. MT

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/BTV-Live-Elway-on-initial-53-man-roster/bc7bdf56-e485-40fc-9dae-c012261d68b9

BroncoWave
08-30-2014, 05:07 PM
Straight from John Elway's mouth:

"Ronnie has taken that step he needed to take."

Boom.

BroncoWave
08-30-2014, 05:07 PM
Another interesting note from Elway:

"Vickerson was a guy that played well for us. Mitch is a guy we think has a higher ceiling at this point in his career."

VonDoom
08-30-2014, 05:42 PM

"Vickerson was a guy that played well for us. Mitch is a guy we think has a higher ceiling at this point in his career."

I don't buy that, but as I said in another thread ... in Elway I trust

BroncoWave
08-30-2014, 05:43 PM
I don't buy that, but as I said in another thread ... in Elway I trust

Yeah, it's hard to be too hard on any moves Elway makes (realizing I was just bashing him for keeping Carter), as often as he gets it right. I do think getting rid of Vick was the right move, if for cap reasons if nothing else.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-30-2014, 05:45 PM

He also mentioned Mitch was younger

BroncoWave
08-30-2014, 05:48 PM
He also mentioned Mitch was younger

This move is another example of Elway putting his quote into practice of trying to win from "now on" instead of just trying to win "now". Is Vickerson a better player than Unrein right now? Probably. But Mitch is younger, gives us more cap flexibility for the future, and has good potential. Cutting Vick was probably a really tough decision, but it was the right one IMO.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-30-2014, 06:44 PM
Darren McKee @dmac1043 · 1h

Elway made it clear toughest cuts were Vick and duke and HE did the dirty work. Said they deserved that. Classy move tough day

Denver Native (Carol)
08-30-2014, 07:51 PM
Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 2h

Elway said he met with all of the players waived/released in cutdown to 53 said "it's important to me to say thank you.''

Denver Native (Carol)
08-30-2014, 08:14 PM
from article:

"We had to make a decision on one of the two, and Mitch is a little bit younger, and a guy that we think has a higher ceiling at this point in time in his career," Elway said.

The 27-year-old Unrein is also more versatile. He worked as a four-techinque defensive end during the preseason, and saw snaps there Thursday. He also contributes on special teams, and has worked as a short-yardage fullback.

"He can move outside, play some end, and he's got a little bit more flexibility there," Elway said.

full article - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Breaking-down-the-deadline-day-moves/f6711471-50b4-4af5-af9e-c9cb57f5d6a0

Dapper Dan
08-31-2014, 03:22 AM
Mitch is the better pass catcher.

Joel
08-31-2014, 07:30 AM
Yeah, it's hard to be too hard on any moves Elway makes (realizing I was just bashing him for keeping Carter), as often as he gets it right. I do think getting rid of Vick was the right move, if for cap reasons if nothing else.
Unrein's not working for peanuts; the cap difference is only $400k; a lot of money to you and me, but not much when we're talking the difference between $1.6 mil and an even $2 mil. It's not even enough to pay a rookie UDFA for 1 year. I personally think the ability to play UT and DE, the severity of Vicks injury (it's almost physically impossible his hip joint will ever again be as tight) and Unreins youth were the key factors.

It sucks for Vickerson though, because he'll probably never get another shot at big money, and the position he played tends to come with some serious long term health issues.