PDA

View Full Version : Final Broncos' Cuts

Denver Native (Carol)
08-29-2014, 02:32 PM
Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 1m

Expect Broncos to make some cuts today and the rest tomorrow. Practice squad guys usually go first. Oh, and Julius Thomas made the team.

Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 20m

Somber day at Dove Valley. Cuts are being made right now. Not reporting anything until the players hear first.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-29-2014, 03:11 PM
Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 39s

No doubt the Broncos keep four RB's. Safe bet Thompson makes the 53 and Bibbs starts on practice squad.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-29-2014, 04:10 PM
Denver Broncos

L.J. Fort, LB

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/8/29/6077925/nfl-roster-cuts-tracker-final-cuts-53-man-team

Denver Native (Carol)
08-29-2014, 04:13 PM
Retweeted by Jeff Legwold
Aaron Wilson @RavensInsider · 42m

Broncos are cutting linebacker L.J. Fort, according to a source. Fort had several offers in the offseason, so should draw interest

Denver Native (Carol)
08-29-2014, 04:23 PM
Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 14s

Broncos have waived LB L.J. Fort; cut DT Sione Fua.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-29-2014, 04:26 PM
Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 17s

Broncos released CB Jerome Murphy. I thought he was pretty good. Just no room.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-29-2014, 04:31 PM
Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 33s

DB Jordan Sullen has been waived by Broncos.

Davii
08-29-2014, 04:43 PM
Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 17s

Broncos released CB Jerome Murphy. I thought he was pretty good. Just no room.

"Released" means they're not going on ps for whatever reason, right?

PS players will be "waived" iirc

BroncoWave
08-29-2014, 04:45 PM

I've never heard that but I don't know. It's possible Klis is just using them interchangeably.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-29-2014, 04:49 PM

So far, Klis has used cutting, waived, released - I don't know if they all mean the same thing or not Maybe waived means they can bring them back if they are claimed

Denver Native (Carol)
08-29-2014, 04:57 PM
NFL rules explained: Waived vs. Released - Lindsay Jones article August 2011

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2011/08/29/nfl-rules-explained-waived-vs-released/9181/

BroncoWave
08-29-2014, 05:06 PM
Kils must just be using them interchangeably then since Murphy is also a rookie.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-29-2014, 05:09 PM
OL Ryan Miller, former Columbine HS and CU Buff, has been waived.

OrangeHoof
08-29-2014, 05:15 PM
Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 33s

DB Jordan Sullen has been waived by Broncos.

He's been sullen ever since the news...

sneakers
08-29-2014, 05:22 PM
Do the broncos usually release the guys at the end they want to keep on the practice squad (lessen the chance of other teams thinking about them?)

Denver Native (Carol)
08-29-2014, 05:27 PM
Do the broncos usually release the guys at the end they want to keep on the practice squad (lessen the chance of other teams thinking about them?)

Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 3h

Expect Broncos to make some cuts today and the rest tomorrow. Practice squad guys usually go first.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-29-2014, 05:33 PM
Retweeted by Andrew Mason
Jordan Sullen @SullenSeason_42 · 13m

"You've conducted yourself in a manner that I'd only hope my own son would do in this league..." -John Fox Thank you #BroncosCountry! ��

Denver Native (Carol)
08-29-2014, 05:34 PM
Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 3s

Broncos cut TEs Cameron Morrah, Jameson Konz

Joel
08-29-2014, 06:22 PM
Jordan Sullen @SullenSeason_42 · 13m

"You've conducted yourself in a manner that I'd only hope my own son would do in this league..." -John Fox Thank you #BroncosCountry! ��
High praise indeed, since Fox was a DB himself in college. Flip side, Morrah played well, especially that last preseason game; doubt he's idle long.

TXBRONC
08-29-2014, 06:43 PM
Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 1m

Expect Broncos to make some cuts today and the rest tomorrow. Practice squad guys usually go first. Oh, and Julius Thomas made the team.

Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 20m

Somber day at Dove Valley. Cuts are being made right now. Not reporting anything until the players hear first.

That's a relief. I thought Julius Thomas was a gonner for sure. ;)

Denver Native (Carol)
08-29-2014, 07:17 PM
The designated grim reaper at Dove Valley has barely cracked his wicked grin.

The bulk of his sinister work will come Saturday as the Broncos set their 53-man, season-opening roster by 2 p.m.

With two more spots added to NFL practice squads this season, the Broncos have two more players they want to sneak through waivers. Thus, general manager John Elway wants to wait as late as possible before he starts contributing to the flood of players who will be placed on the waiver wire Saturday. The waiver claiming period expires at 10 a.m. Sunday, at which point the Broncos can begin re-signing players to their practice squad.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_26434829/ryan-miller-among-broncos-latest-roster-cuts-more

Joel
08-29-2014, 07:27 PM
So PS guys will actually go LAST rather than FIRST. I didn't realize waivers had a deadline, or PS had a beginning; that explains a lot.

Simple Jaded
08-29-2014, 09:35 PM
Doesn't matter when they cut a guy, sooner or later, they can add them the second they clear waivers.

Joel
08-29-2014, 10:47 PM
Doesn't matter when they cut a guy, sooner or later, they can add them the second they clear waivers.
With a waiver deadline though, cutting them later means teams will have less space on their rosters when we release PS candidates, who'll only briefly be on their radar.

BroncoWave
08-29-2014, 10:51 PM
I think you guys are way over-analyzing the importance of cutting scrubs on a Friday or a Saturday.

Simple Jaded
08-29-2014, 11:07 PM
I think you guys are way over-analyzing the importance of cutting scrubs on a Friday or a Saturday.

"Man, we really, kinda, a little bit liked that RB as a cfa, too bad they didn't cut him a day later"

OrangeHoof
08-29-2014, 11:38 PM
Teams have 24 hours to put in a claim so one can strategize whether it makes sense to cut them early or cut them late but they hope to do when it gets as little attention as possible. I kinda wonder if cutting players at 3 a.m. makes any strategic sense. I guess it has to be when the NFL office is open to receive the fax/email or it doesn't become official until the league office is open for business.

Dzone
08-29-2014, 11:52 PM
I wonder if they just stay up all night ...like maybe fox and elway dont even go home on a night like this. Watched the cuts on hard knocks and it can be brutal...one day you are in the NFL, then next week youre wearing a trainee hat at arbys

Simple Jaded
08-30-2014, 01:02 AM
I wonder if they just stay up all night ...like maybe fox and elway dont even go home on a night like this. Watched the cuts on hard knocks and it can be brutal...one day you are in the NFL, then next week youre wearing a trainee hat at arbys

Judging by their prices Arby's employees are well paid.

Joel
08-30-2014, 01:32 AM
Hmm; doesn't sound like something I'd do.... ;)

Judging by their prices Arby's employees are well paid.
Right, because the majority of their profits go to employee wages. The NFL doesn't even do that, despite an aggressive union representing employees who command and get 8 figure salaries on the open market; Arby's employees will take 8 DOLLARS/hr and be grateful.

BroncoWave
08-30-2014, 11:09 AM
Broncos cut Kevin Vickerson, per Adam Schefter.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-30-2014, 11:33 AM

I HATE to see that

Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 26m

Kevin Vickerson one of best people to hang in #Broncos locker room past four years. He was team's best D-lineman last yr until hip injury

Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 28m

#Broncos have released DT Kevin Vickerson,

NightTrainLayne
08-30-2014, 11:33 AM
I feel bad for Vick, but wow... A few years ago we were sooooo thin on the d-line. Now we can cut good veterans because of our outstanding depth there.

What a great job management has done. :salute:

atwater27
08-30-2014, 11:35 AM
I feel bad for Vick, but wow... A few years ago we were sooooo thin on the d-line. Now we can cut good veterans because of our outstanding depth there.

What a great job management has done. :salute:

I couldn't be happier that FINALLY our team deems the defensive line to be a priority, especially the interior. It will pay huge dividends

Bronco4ever
08-30-2014, 11:35 AM
I'm sad to see big Vick go. He was one of our longest tenured guys. I hope he doesn't go to a contender.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-30-2014, 11:41 AM
Mike Klis @MikeKlis · now

OL Vinston Painter has been waived. Figures to be strong practice squad candidate.

VonDoom
08-30-2014, 11:41 AM
I've made my feelings about Vick known here lately, so needless to say, I'm disappointed. But we do have great DL depth, and as always, I have to trust Elway. Some team will jump on Vickerson, though, and be happy about it.

spikerman
08-30-2014, 11:48 AM
I can't help but think this was a mistake.

Joel
08-30-2014, 11:50 AM
Not a total schock, but still disappointing. Presumably this means we're keeping Unrein? I guess that's some consolation; he's no starter, but good versatile depth. In my perfect world, we'd keep 4 DEs and 4 DTs with Unrein as the 5th of both, but we can't double back 22 starters, 'cause that would be 66 players even before we got to kickers. It does make me wonder who's getting that 53rd spot Vickerson missed; he better be DARNED good, 'cause Big Vick was.

Really disappointed for Vickerson; at 31, coming off a major injury on the end of a career as a bubble player, he may have trouble finding anyone willing to pay close to the $2 million we would've paid him, and even if he can establish himself somewhere else, it'll probably take too long to get a big contract from them. Many GMs are probably looking at him like we looked at Sam Adams, except Adams had a past statistical record of greatness; Vickersons stats and roster spots never reflected his ability.

Joel
08-30-2014, 11:58 AM
Mike Klis @MikeKlis · now

OL Vinston Painter has been waived. Figures to be strong practice squad candidate.
That kind of surprises me; when I saw him playing RG against Dallas I figured they were looking at him as a swing man, especially since Schofield and Cornick both had a pretty bad game. Sure, we crushed them, but that was mainly because their offense was hopeless, all our RBs got good yardage (apparently our second team run blocking's good, at least against second team D,) Oz made some good throws under constant pressure and his WRs bailed him out several times when he made bad ones.

Our backup linemen though were pretty miserable, especially in pass blocking, against the BACKUPS on a Dallas D that was notoriously awful even before they switched from 3-4 to 4-3 and lost their best DE, DT and LB. We SHOULD'VE outscored them by 20 pts, but doing so was mostly due to our skill players and DESPITE our line, IMHO.

By the way, wasn't Painter on the active 45 >8 games last year? Wouldn't that make him ineligible for a 3rd PS year?

Joel
08-30-2014, 12:17 PM
By the way, if you go by NFL.coms page for Vickerson, there's a couple nice videos on the left: http://www.nfl.com/player/kevinvickerson/2506549/profile

1) A gorgeous leaping Int vs. the Raiders in 2010 and 2) a incomplete-forcing pressure when we crushed Balitmore in their house (though they got the last laugh a month later.)

A special note on that second one: On the same play, Unrein rushed straight up the middle, got doubleteamed and STILL pushed both guys into the backfield, forcing Flacco to roll out to his right—and straight into Vickerson.

TXBRONC
08-30-2014, 12:21 PM
I HATE to see that

Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 26m

Kevin Vickerson one of best people to hang in #Broncos locker room past four years. He was team's best D-lineman last yr until hip injury

Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 28m

#Broncos have released DT Kevin Vickerson,

Ugh. I liked Vickerson, but maybe that hip injury impeding his ability to play the game.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-30-2014, 12:26 PM
Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 4m

#Broncos waive WR Nathan Palmer.

Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 8m

#Broncos waive RB Kapri Bibbs. Former Colorado State star

Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 19m

S John Boyett has been waived.

Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 21m

#Broncos waive SS Duke Ihenacho; rookie LB Shaq Barrett. Ihenacho a 17-game starter last yr. Beat out by T.J. Ward/Quinton Carter this year.

Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 31m

#Broncos QB Zac Dysert has been waived. A strong practice squad candidate but multiple teams figure to be interested in him.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-30-2014, 12:32 PM
Unless they have someone in mind to bring in if Dysert is picked up by another team, looks like they will be going with two QBs.

Also, I hope Bibbs clears waivers and the Broncos put him on the ps

Denver Native (Carol)
08-30-2014, 12:35 PM
Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 28m

Not often a young17-game starter gets cut. Duke Ihenacho let go. See if Q Carter can stay healthy.

TXBRONC
08-30-2014, 12:38 PM
Unless they have someone in mind to bring in if Dysert is picked up by another team, looks like they will be going with two QBs.

Also, I hope Bibbs clears waivers and the Broncos put him on the ps

I'm not counting on Dysert clearing waivers for that matter I would not be surprised if Bibbs doesn't clear waivers.

Northman
08-30-2014, 12:46 PM
I'm sad to see big Vick go. He was one of our longest tenured guys. I hope he doesn't go to a contender.

That doesnt make any sense. Why shouldnt he get a ring even if its not with us? Thats like saying Champ doesnt deserve one.

Northman
08-30-2014, 12:49 PM
Ugh. I liked Vickerson, but maybe that hip injury impeding his ability to play the game.

Yea, im assuming Elway and company know what they are doing.

Northman
08-30-2014, 12:50 PM
Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 28m

Not often a young17-game starter gets cut. Duke Ihenacho let go. See if Q Carter can stay healthy.

Yea, i liked Nacho. But if you get beat out you get beat out.

slim
08-30-2014, 12:52 PM
I couldn't be happier that FINALLY our team deems the defensive line to be a priority, especially the interior. It will pay huge dividends

Somewhere BDB is smiling.

Slick
08-30-2014, 12:54 PM
Not sad to see Duke get cut. After that first regular season game where he showed real promise, I think he regressed badly. I'm glad the Bronco coaches think we can do better. I'm a bit surprised we kept Unrein over Vickerson. Must be a combination of money and injury concern.

Slick
08-30-2014, 12:56 PM
That doesnt make any sense. Why shouldnt he get a ring even if its not with us? Thats like saying Champ doesnt deserve one.

Not to speak for Bronco4ever, but I think he said that because he doesn't want us to be facing Vickerson later on down the line in the playoffs.

MOtorboat
08-30-2014, 12:57 PM
Not to speak for Bronco4ever, but I think he said that because he doesn't want us to be facing Vickerson later on down the line in the playoffs.

I hope it means Wolfe is ready to play UT in our 4-3 looks and DE in our 3-4 looks next to Von and opposite Ware/Malik Jackson. Also hope it means Sylvester Williams is ready to back up and spell Knighton.

TXBRONC
08-30-2014, 12:58 PM
Somewhere BDB is smiling.

Smiling nothing, he's probably pole dancing.

Ziggy
08-30-2014, 12:59 PM
I hope it means Wolfe is ready to play UT in our 4-3 looks and DE in our 3-4 looks next to Von and opposite Ware/Malik Jackson. Also hope it means Sylvester Williams is ready to back up and spell Knighton.

Sly doesn't back up Knighton, he starts along side of him. On passing downs he may spell him at NT though, if that's what you meant.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-30-2014, 01:02 PM
Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 12m

#Broncos waive C Matt Paradis. A sixth-round pick this year.

Slick
08-30-2014, 01:04 PM

What does that have to do with Bronco4ever saying he hopes Vickerson doesn't go to a contender? I don't think you got enough sleep last night babycakes.

MOtorboat
08-30-2014, 01:07 PM
Sly doesn't back up Knighton, he starts along side of him. On passing downs he may spell him at NT though, if that's what you meant.

OK, they are running a d-line of Wolfe-Knighton-Williams then, with Miller and Ware as rush ends. I thought Jackson was getting that DE slot opposite Wolfe?

DenBronx
08-30-2014, 01:08 PM
Vick and Duke. Definitely two cuts I didn't see coming.

Bronco4ever
08-30-2014, 01:08 PM

Exactly. I would like big Vick to get a ring, but not at our expense. I also hope he doesn't sign within the AFCW.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-30-2014, 01:10 PM
Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 18m

As expected, Juwan Thompson makes the final 53. What a great story he's become.

MOtorboat
08-30-2014, 01:11 PM
What does that have to do with Bronco4ever saying he hopes Vickerson doesn't go to a contender? I don't think you got enough sleep last night babycakes.

Nothing. Meant to quote your first post.

Northman
08-30-2014, 01:13 PM

If Vick is not a good enough factor to make the team im really not worried about him on another squad.

Ziggy
08-30-2014, 01:14 PM
OK, they are running a d-line of Wolfe-Knighton-Williams then, with Miller and Ware as rush ends. I thought Jackson was getting that DE slot opposite Wolfe?

Starting Dline in base D and run downs
DE- Ware
DT- Knighton
DT- Sly
DE- Wolfe

Nickel-
DE- Ware
DT- Wolfe
DT- Jackson/Knighton
DE-Von

Jackson plays both DE and DT at times, but usually as a backup at DE. Unrein also backs up both spots now.

Northman
08-30-2014, 01:14 PM
Exactly. I would like big Vick to get a ring, but not at our expense. I also hope he doesn't sign within the AFCW.

No worries. I doubt he is a factor for any contender.

MOtorboat
08-30-2014, 01:15 PM
Starting Dline in base D and run downs
DE- Ware
DT- Knighton
DT- Sly
DE- Wolfe

Nickel-
DE- Ware
DT- Wolfe
DT- Jackson/Knighton
DE-Von

Malik rotates in and out at both DE and DT, but he doesn't start. Jackson plays both DE and DT at times, but usually as a backup at DE. Unrein also backs up both spots now.

Denver plays a lot more 3-man fronts (or 5, I suppose) than 4.

broncosinindy
08-30-2014, 01:16 PM
Big Vick, kapri bibbs, Murphy, dysert, boyett, nacho, barrett, paridis,

MOtorboat
08-30-2014, 01:17 PM
Big Vick, kapri bibbs, Murphy, dysert, boyett, nacho, barrett, paridis,

Are cut, or are being re-signed to the PS?

Vick isn't practice-squad eligible, I don't think.

Ziggy
08-30-2014, 01:17 PM
Bibbs, Dysert, Boyett, Painter and Paradis to the practice squad for sure if they clear waivers.

Traveler
08-30-2014, 01:20 PM
Bibbs, Dysert, Boyett, Painter and Paradis to the practice squad for sure if they clear waivers.

According to Spano sources, he says Bibbs might not clear waivers because others are interested.

Ziggy
08-30-2014, 01:24 PM
According to Spano sources, he says Bibbs might not clear waivers because others are interested.

Bibbs is going to be a stud IMO. I would much rather have kept him than Hillman.

slim
08-30-2014, 01:24 PM
Not sad to see Duke get cut. After that first regular season game where he showed real promise, I think he regressed badly. I'm glad the Bronco coaches think we can do better. I'm a bit surprised we kept Unrein over Vickerson. Must be a combination of money and injury concern.

Agree about Nacho.

Unrein is solid and pretty underrated IMO>

slim
08-30-2014, 01:28 PM
Smiling nothing, he's probably pole dancing.

This is how I always like to picture him.

Bronco4ever
08-30-2014, 01:30 PM
No worries. I doubt he is a factor for any contender.

I mostly agree. He's a run stopper and eats up blockers and our run game isn't exactly our focal point on offense. Still, if he went to a contender, he'd definitely make their rotation better. Our run D was much better with him playing last year.

Northman
08-30-2014, 01:31 PM
I mostly agree. He's a run stopper and eats up blockers and our run game isn't exactly our focal point on offense. Still, if he went to a contender, he'd definitely make their rotation better. Our run D was much better with him playing last year.

Yea, but like i said. If Elway and company let him go there is good reason for it. I have faith in the organization that they know what the are doing.

Slick
08-30-2014, 01:36 PM
Agree about Nacho.

Unrein is solid and pretty underrated IMO>

I thought the general consensus around here was if Denver ended up keeping Dysert, they would cut either Vick or Unrein but with Dysert getting cut along with Vickerson, I wonder who ended up making the final 53 that was the surprise. Thompson maybe?

UnderArmour
08-30-2014, 01:37 PM
Not surprised by Vickerson being cut. Money is extremely tight and he was making $2 million while being outperformed by Marvin Austin. All of these little cap moves add up and the space can be rolled over into next year. Vickerson will have no shortage of suitors and should have a job within the next two days as there are at least 10 teams that could stand to improve their defensive line depth and a couple of teams he could start for (Dallas).

Ihenacho needed to dramatically improve his coverage ability in the offseason and he failed to do so. Q. Carter was always the superior talent, but injury put his career on hold. With Bibbs, his big game came against Dallas, who have virtually no interior defensive line depth or linebacker depth. I was far more impressed by Hillman and Juwan this preseason.

Northman
08-30-2014, 01:39 PM
Not surprised by Vickerson being cut. Money is extremely tight and he was making $2 million while being outperformed by Marvin Austin. All of these little cap moves add up and the space can be rolled over into next year. Vickerson will have no shortage of suitors and should have a job within the next two days as there are at least 10 teams that could stand to improve their defensive line depth and a couple of teams he could start for (Dallas).

Ihenacho needed to dramatically improve his coverage ability in the offseason and he failed to do so. Q. Carter was always the superior talent, but injury put his career on hold. With Bibbs, his big game came against Dallas, who have virtually no interior defensive line depth or linebacker depth. I was far more impressed by Hillman and Juwan this preseason.

Agree with all this.

Bronco4ever
08-30-2014, 01:46 PM
Yea, but like i said. If Elway and company let him go there is good reason for it. I have faith in the organization that they know what the are doing.

For sure. I'm just more or less just bummed to see a guy leave that's been a solid contributor through our ups and downs and even changing weight several times on coach's orders. Definitely a team player. But I understand the decision with his health concerns and price tag. I trust the FO and don't think Vick's departure will dramatically change our season, but you hate to lose a proven starter that could help another team.

dogfish
08-30-2014, 01:55 PM

williams ain't backin' anybody up this year, whatever front we happen to be in. . . dude is gonna be a boss this season. . . i agree with ziggy that he starts at UT in the base, buthe could also slide out to five technique when we play three up front-- williams, wolfe and jackson can all three play that type of role, which gives us a really nasty DL rotation along with pot roast and ware. . . i think we'll see plenty of subbing and mixed fronts, and they'll all get a good number of snaps-- i expect williams to emerge as the best of the interior rushers, though. . . dude is just incredibly quick for his size. . . unrein and austin round out the deepest DL i've ever seen here. . . big props to JFE for not just getting it, but also getting it done. . .

Ziggy
08-30-2014, 02:04 PM
I'm pumped that we have finally gotten to the point that we have on the Dline. Cutting a talent like big Vick because we have TOO MUCH DEPTH ON THE D LINE? That was the Broncos Achilles heel for a good 20 years. Great job Elway.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-30-2014, 02:31 PM
Andrew Furney, a rookie from Washington State, left the Broncos’ headquarters Saturday without a contract.

Furney was given a tryout Saturday morning with Broncos’ general manager John Elway and special teams coach Jeff Rogers in attendance. Furney made all his field goals, but was so-so on kickoffs. Another young kicker, Dustin Hopkins, had to scratch from the tryout because of a minor leg issue.

rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2014/08/30/brandon-mcmanus-still-broncos-kicker/29051/

Denver Native (Carol)
08-30-2014, 02:36 PM
Nathan Napalm Palmer @RealNaPalm · 2h

Didn't reach my preseason goal but that won't stop me from working! Time to grind and wait on my opportunity

Kingbibbs#35 @KapriBibbs · 2h

Thank you denver for the opportunity and definitely left it all out there !!

Duke Ihenacho @NachoLyfe · 3h

At the end of the day, always remember business is business. For both sides. On to whatever is next. #PositiveLiving

Terrance Knighton @MrKnighton2u · 3h

Sad day man...... Hard to build relationships in this business..... Blood thicker than water tho. If you dawg today you my dawg fa life. 

Denver Native (Carol)
08-30-2014, 02:39 PM
just wanted to throw this in - of course, it has nothing to do with the Broncos' cuts, but is from the Broncos

Denver Broncos @Broncos · 2h

Bring home the gold! #GoFariedGoUSA RT @denvernuggets: It's your time, @KennethFaried35. #GoFariedGoUSA http://j.mp/1qqexSB

Denver Native (Carol)
08-30-2014, 02:48 PM
Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 3m

Looking like for only 2nd time in 6 years, Broncos will have 2 undrafted rookies make opening 53-man roster -- Juwan Thompson, Isaiah Burse

Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 4m

DE Kenny Anunike on season-ending IR (torn left biceps).

VonDoom
08-30-2014, 02:53 PM
Looks like Gerell Robinson makes the cut. A little surprised, to be honest, but I'm interested to see what he can do.

slim
08-30-2014, 03:00 PM
Looks like Gerell Robinson makes the cut. A little surprised, to be honest, but I'm interested to see what he can do.

ASU in the house!

Dave, take note.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-30-2014, 03:13 PM
Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 29s

Air Force football could use some good news: Ben Garland made the Broncos' 53-man roster.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-30-2014, 03:16 PM
Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 3h

#Broncos picking 31st in waiver claim order so that may not be much help ...

Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 3h

On 10-player practice squad ... Bibbs and Barrett both will get a look from #Broncos there...

Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 4h

#Broncos would likely want Vinston Painter on practice squad, but 49ers tried to sign him off PS last Jan. and Colts have big OL troubles

Denver Native (Carol)
08-30-2014, 03:22 PM
Albert Breer @AlbertBreer · 36m

Saints are cutting CB Champ Bailey.

I know a team who has the #24 number available

BroncoWave
08-30-2014, 03:30 PM
Bibbs is going to be a stud IMO. I would much rather have kept him than Hillman.

Based on what exactly? He didn't do anything until the Dallas game which is probably the most horrible group of defenders we played this preseason. I will be surprised if Bibbs ever makes an impact on an NFL field.

OB
08-30-2014, 03:33 PM
I am sad about vickerson. I hope he has a great rest of a career.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-30-2014, 03:38 PM
Mitchell J. Unrein @MitchellJUnrein · 5m

Very thankful to make this team. Sad to see Big Vick go. He taught me so much during my years here in Denver. I wish him all the best.

Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 12m

#Broncos usually won't officially announce their cuts until teams receive transaction report -- there is a lag time from deadline to report.

BroncoWave
08-30-2014, 03:39 PM
The Vickerson move makes total sense to me. Given that we are really deep there, getting rid of the guy with the biggest salary is a good call. Frees up some cap room for us to be flexible elsewhere if needed.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-30-2014, 03:40 PM
Retweeted by Darren McKee
Chad Jensen @Arms_RaceBB · 2h

@dmac1043 Vick was moving around just fine against Dallas. This was a cap dump as the Broncos are up against it. Could end up in SD or NE

VonDoom
08-30-2014, 03:44 PM
DMac has no idea what he's talking about, so I wouldn't trust that report

Denver Native (Carol)
08-30-2014, 03:44 PM
David BRUTON JR. @D_Brut30 · 8m

Honestly hate cut day. Seeing so many good players go is never easy. Wish all best of luck n know y'all will do great things wherever u land

C.J. Anderson @CjAndersonRB9 · 58m

So bless 2 make the 53 and ready 2 get 2 work and show wat I can do thank you 🙏

BroncoWave
08-30-2014, 03:45 PM
I'm glad the coaches didn't go crazy and dump Hillman. He flat out earned a roster spot this preseason. I think he and Ball are going to make a really nice combo this year.

VonDoom
08-30-2014, 03:46 PM
Troy Renck says there are "conflicting reports" on Gerell, so maybe he's not a lock yet

Denver Native (Carol)
08-30-2014, 03:46 PM
Retweeted by Denver Broncos
Patrick Smyth @psmyth12 · 15m

Broncos' roster moves have been turned into the league. GM John Elway set to meet media at 4 pm MT. Team website will stream live.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-30-2014, 03:48 PM
Chad Jensen @Arms_RaceBB · 2m

@MikeKlis @dmac1043 Garland could be next year's starter at LG with Franklin entering the last year of his rookie contract

BroncoWave
Troy Renck says there are "conflicting reports" on Gerell, so maybe he's not a lock yet

That would probably be the most shocking guy to make the team. That would mean we are keeping 7 WRs. DT, Welker, Sanders, Latimer, Burse, Caldwell, and Robinson. That seems a bit odd.

Denver Native (Carol)
Darren McKee @dmac1043 · 5s

Btw this thing ain't over. With so many cuts broncos very likely to add at least one guy. Somebody has made the team an will be cut tmrw

BroncoWave
08-30-2014, 03:49 PM
Chad Jensen @Arms_RaceBB · 2m

@MikeKlis @dmac1043 Garland could be next year's starter at LG with Franklin entering the last year of his rookie contract

Uhh, I hope not. I love Garland's story, but I don't know that he's starter material. I'd expect Elway to address that position in free agency next year.

Bronco4ever
08-30-2014, 03:52 PM
That would probably be the most shocking guy to make the team. That would mean we are keeping 7 WRs. DT, Welker, Sanders, Latimer, Burse, Caldwell, and Robinson. That seems a bit odd.

Robinson converted to a TE.

VonDoom

Robinson was converted to TE, so technically he would be our 4th TE

BroncoWave
Robinson converted to a TE.

Man, I totally forgot about that. Brainfart on my part.

BroncoWave
08-30-2014, 03:53 PM
Even still, I'm a little surprised he made the team. He could still get cut though if we bring in a roster cut from somewhere else.

VonDoom
08-30-2014, 03:54 PM
I think Garland stinks, but I haven't paid much attention to him this preseason. And again, DMac has no clue

BroncoWave
08-30-2014, 03:56 PM
I think Garland stinks, but I haven't paid much attention to him this preseason. And again, DMac has no clue

I remember him getting beat pretty bad a few times this preseason. If we had depth whatsoever on the o-line I don't think he would have made the team. That's an area where we really can't afford any injuries this year.

Bronco4ever
08-30-2014, 03:58 PM
Man, I totally forgot about that. Brainfart on my part.

We are going to have to release you Wave. We really like your game, but we need more consistency in your posting. Keep your chin up and I'm sure you'll get a chance some where else! :listen:

BroncoWave
08-30-2014, 03:59 PM
We are going to have to release you Wave. We really like your game, but we need more consistency in your posting. Keep your chin up and I'm sure you'll get a chance some where else! :listen:

Maybe I will get picked up for the practice squad!

VonDoom
08-30-2014, 04:02 PM
I remember him getting beat pretty bad a few times this preseason. If we had depth whatsoever on the o-line I don't think he would have made the team. That's an area where we really can't afford any injuries this year.

MHR on Twitter speculates that we might be interested in recently cut Seahawks OL Eric Winston for depth. Who knows? As for Garland, I'm surprised he made it over Painter but again, what do I know?

VonDoom
08-30-2014, 04:04 PM
I am gonna be pissed if Vickerson somehow ends up in NE. Also, I hope Bibbs quietly makes it through to the PS.

dogfish
08-30-2014, 04:12 PM
MHR on Twitter speculates that we might be interested in recently cut Seahawks OL Eric Winston for depth. Who knows? As for Garland, I'm surprised he made it over Painter but again, what do I know?

that would be a solid signing-- i'm surprised they let him go, but they do like to roll with a lot of young guys. . . he'd be a nice swing tackle-- give schofield a year or two to develop. . .

VonDoom
08-30-2014, 04:19 PM
Bennie Fowler and Louis Young waived. I thought Young was a dark horse candidate to stick

atwater27
08-30-2014, 04:23 PM
I could totally see Belichick picking up Vickerson. and my blood would boil

Denver Native (Carol)
08-30-2014, 04:44 PM
Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 4m

TE Gerell Robinson waived. It appears he was final cut.

Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 6m

Brandon McManus appears to be the Broncos’ kicker: http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2014/08/30/brandon-mcmanus-still-broncos-kicker/29051/ … via @denverpost

Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 16m

Broncos do like K Brandon McManus. He has elite leg strength. Field goal process with Brewer-Colquitt needs refinement, which comes in time.

Ziggy
08-30-2014, 04:50 PM

Garland was fairly solid run blocking. It's the pass blocking where he struggled, which is understandable for a player that is new at the position. Painter has PS eligibility, Garland doesn't. That may have been a slight factor.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-30-2014, 04:52 PM
Watch as John Elway meets the media at approximately 4 p.m. MT

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/BTV-Live-Elway-on-initial-53-man-roster/bc7bdf56-e485-40fc-9dae-c012261d68b9

BroncoWave
08-30-2014, 04:56 PM
How Tony Carter continues to make the roster amazes me. He is so bad!

VonDoom
08-30-2014, 04:59 PM
How Tony Carter continues to make the roster amazes me. He is so bad!

He's basically the #5 or 6 CB, though. Not many teams can say that their#5 CB is a baller

BroncoWave
08-30-2014, 05:00 PM
He's basically the #5 or 6 CB, though. Not many teams can say that their#5 CB is a baller

Fair enough. I'd rather give a UDFA a chance though that watch him continue to stink up the field every time he gets on there.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-30-2014, 05:20 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — The Broncos got their roster down to the league-required 53 players Saturday afternoon, making 22 transactions in the final days before the regular season officially commences.

Juwan Thompson and Isaiah Burse were the only undrafted rookies to make the roster.

With the most recent roster moves taken into the consideration, the 53-person roster can be broken down by position as such:

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Broncos-announce-22-roster-moves/71786f59-f281-4510-81d8-168450f84aa7

Tned
08-30-2014, 05:30 PM
Ok, only two QBs. I wondered if the Broncos would go that route.

BroncoWave
08-30-2014, 05:31 PM

Makes sense to me. Keeping Dysert on the 53 would seem like a waste of a roster spot to me. Leaves a spot open for someone to contribute on special teams.

Tned
08-30-2014, 05:35 PM
Glad to see that Ben Garland has made the transition to OL well enough to make the roster. Feel good story.

dogfish
08-30-2014, 05:39 PM

given the value of the position, i'd kinda rather see them keep two developmental guys (may as well groom oz's backup in the system in advance as well), but i do understand the mentality of keeping two. . . you're not winning anything this year if you get to your third QB, whether it's dysert or a street FA-- just keeping two gives you another spot to spend on a guy that will play and contribute, if only on special teams. . .

pnbronco
08-30-2014, 05:45 PM
Thanks guys for keeping us informed. I just so glad that Mitch made the team.. I'll really miss big Vick but I understand the thinking that went along with it. A little sad about Duke, but I had heard that possibility on the radio.

So will we know tomorrow about the practice squad? Also does anyone know if John Boyett is eligible for it? The little I saw of him at one practice I was very impressed.

VonDoom
08-30-2014, 05:46 PM
given the value of the position, i'd kinda rather see them keep two developmental guys (may as well groom oz's backup in the system in advance as well), but i do understand the mentality of keeping two. . . you're not winning anything this year if you get to your third QB, whether it's dysert or a street FA-- just keeping two gives you another spot to spend on a guy that will play and contribute, if only on special teams. . .

Yeah, I can understand only keeping two. If Manning goes down (God forbid), we'll be in trouble anyway. And I assume we'd scour the bottom of the FA market for a backup, rather than have another unproven guy back up our first unproven guy. We had a lot of guys to fit on the roster this year, so I can see why Dysert is out. I wonder if we can make the PS or if someone will scoff him up.

pnbronco
08-30-2014, 05:46 PM

So do you think they will try to pick someone up to put on the PS? Zac has used up his eligibility, hasn't he???

VonDoom
08-30-2014, 05:47 PM
Fair enough. I'd rather give a UDFA a chance though that watch him continue to stink up the field every time he gets on there.

I could make the case for Louis Young, and trust me, I'm no fan of Carter, but I guess they want his experience. As much as he gets flagged or beaten on most plays, he still has a nose for the ball and can sometimes pull out a big INT. I don't know. I don't like him but I understand why he was kept.

pnbronco
08-30-2014, 05:50 PM
I could make the case for Louis Young, and trust me, I'm no fan of Carter, but I guess they want his experience. As much as he gets flagged or beaten on most plays, he still has a nose for the ball and can sometimes pull out a big INT. I don't know. I don't like him but I understand why he was kept.

I like Tony the person a lot and I heard he had a great camp from both radio stations. I heard he was going to make it really hard for them to cut him understanding that he is a backup. But he does have a nose for the ball.

Simple Jaded
08-30-2014, 11:15 PM
Keeping Burse over a DT as solid as Vickerson is stupid, so I hope for big things from Burse. Dude wasn't even the best cfa WR Denver had.

Joel
08-31-2014, 06:58 AM
I was certainly interested when I saw Seattle cut him; he's only 30, has nearly 100 career starts and it's only been two years since Houston cut him from their starting lineup because they didn't want to pay him. Schofield and Cornick were getting Oz killed against Dallas' second team, and the Cowboys D was pathetic even before the switched from 3-4 to 4-3 and lost their best DE, DT and LB. Our backup OTs were going against the NFLs dreggiest dregs and STILL getting owned all game. Given the SB, that's bad.

Joel
08-31-2014, 07:07 AM
DE Kenny Anunike on season-ending IR (torn left biceps).
Ouch, sucks for him, and possibly for us. Might've been a factor in Unrein making it over Big Vick though; Unrein can play DE, but Vickerson can't. I'd still rather have 4 DTs, 4 DEs and Unrein as (much as I hate phrase) 5th DL. He's an UT type on a team that's always had too many UTs and too few NTs, so I really wanted to keep Vickerson as the latter.

TXBRONC
08-31-2014, 08:22 AM
I like Tony the person a lot and I heard he had a great camp from both radio stations. I heard he was going to make it really hard for them to cut him understanding that he is a backup. But he does have a nose for the ball.

I like him as player it's just that he's not strong enough to take on bigger receiver. He has pretty good ball skills and he can stay with most receivers but he's better suited to playing in the slot.

VonDoom
08-31-2014, 08:57 AM
Ouch, sucks for him, and possibly for us. Might've been a factor in Unrein making it over Big Vick though; Unrein can play DE, but Vickerson can't. I'd still rather have 4 DTs, 4 DEs and Unrein as (much as I hate phrase) 5th DL. He's an UT type on a team that's always had too many UTs and too few NTs, so I really wanted to keep Vickerson as the latter.

I suspect Anunike wouldn't have made the team, but they recognize his potential, so they're using injury as an excuse to protect him on IR, ala Quant Smith. It's not a bad problem to have in the long run.

VonDoom
08-31-2014, 09:00 AM
Keeping Burse over a DT as solid as Vickerson is stupid, so I hope for big things from Burse. Dude wasn't even the best cfa WR Denver had.

Well, Norwood would have made it as a PR if not for injury, so Burse is essentially just taking his place. Our 53 man breakdown is already 24 offense / 26 defense / 3 ST, so I doubt we would have sacrificed another offensive player for Vick. Most likely it would have been a LB if we were keeping both Vick and Unrein.

VonDoom
08-31-2014, 09:01 AM
I was certainly interested when I saw Seattle cut him; he's only 30, has nearly 100 career starts and it's only been two years since Houston cut him from their starting lineup because they didn't want to pay him. Schofield and Cornick were getting Oz killed against Dallas' second team, and the Cowboys D was pathetic even before the switched from 3-4 to 4-3 and lost their best DE, DT and LB. Our backup OTs were going against the NFLs dreggiest dregs and STILL getting owned all game. Given the SB, that's bad.

I'm not an OL guru, so I really don't know much about Winston, but he sounds pretty good. OL depth is a concern for me right now; I like all of our starters (with the possible exception of Clark at this point) but Garland, Schofield and Cornick don't exactly inspire much confidence. I wouldn't mind them making some kind of upgrade there.

Joel
08-31-2014, 09:18 AM
I suspect Anunike wouldn't have made the team, but they recognize his potential, so they're using injury as an excuse to protect him on IR, ala Quant Smith. It's not a bad problem to have in the long run.
I dunno, MHR projected him to make it, but with a torn biceps tear we'll never know. The analogy's logical though: People predicted great things for Smith, and he seemed to be coming on till reaggravating the injury at the end of last preseason; now he's right behind an All Pro on the depth chart, and will likely get some quality time when Ware's gassed.

I'm not an OL guru, so I really don't know much about Winston, but he sounds pretty good. OL depth is a concern for me right now; I like all of our starters (with the possible exception of Clark at this point) but Garland, Schofield and Cornick don't exactly inspire much confidence. I wouldn't mind them making some kind of upgrade there.
That's pretty much where I am, though I'll feel better about Franklin at G once he's played a few games against good DTs and pushed them back on runs while keeping them out on passes. Schofield and Cornick (or rather, Oz and Dysert because of them) got abused all night against second teamers on a Cowboys team that barely has FIRST teamers. Winston's been solid throughout his career, though he'd be more appealing if we still ran the ZBS; as a Houston native, I was sad to see they lost him to KC, but that was strictly a cap issue.

Traveler
08-31-2014, 10:38 AM
Now comes the annual switch of numbers. Wonder who'll make a change? Hate seeing WR's in teens. Silly, I know. Sanders should change to #82 and Latimer should change to 87. Or vice versa.

NightTerror218
08-31-2014, 11:27 AM

Vick does not return kicks. Burse may get cut if a returner is on waivers and claimed

TXBRONC
08-31-2014, 11:41 AM

Do you think Elway is bluffing that Anunike injured?

In Smith's case he was still recovering from an acl tear that happen during his senior season.

It is a way protecting them but the practice even if they are healed up.

Joel
08-31-2014, 11:46 AM
Now comes the annual switch of numbers. Wonder who'll make a change? Hate seeing WR's in teens. Silly, I know. Sanders should change to #82 and Latimer should change to 87. Or vice versa.
So agree with this. I know many teams have retired numbers, but the day the NFL decided 10 digits wasn't enough for all the WRs each team "needs" feels like the beginning of the end of football as God, Thorpe and Rozelle meant it to be played, the inaugural moment of track stars playing basketball in pads. Teams that never run are just as uninteresting as teams that never pass; it eliminates the chess match.

TXBRONC
08-31-2014, 11:48 AM

If all three of them had to play I would be concerned because all three of them are developing. I would take anyone of them over the guy the Cowboys had out there this past Thursday.

VonDoom
08-31-2014, 11:59 AM

Do you think Elway is bluffing that Anunike injured?

In Smith's case he was still recovering from an acl tear that happen during his senior season.

It is a way protecting them but the practice even if they are healed up.

I wouldn't say bluffing, but some injuries are more convenient than others. I'm sure he's actually injured, but is it really season ending? It's not unheard of to stash guys.

VonDoom
08-31-2014, 12:01 PM

If all three of them had to play I would be concerned because all three of them are developing. I would take anyone of them over the guy the Cowboys had out there this past Thursday.

I agree with this, and mostly I'm nitpicking because there's not much to complain about on this team. If there's an opportunity to upgrade a backup out there, I see no reason to pass that up.

Dzone
08-31-2014, 12:05 PM
Ihenacho is now a redskin

VonDoom
08-31-2014, 12:23 PM
MHR is reporting that LB Shaquil Barrett and WR Nathan Palmer have been signed to our PS

VonDoom
08-31-2014, 12:26 PM
Bibbs and Boyett also through to PS per Troy Renck

Dzone
08-31-2014, 12:44 PM
Vickerson getting interest from Chargers.

VonDoom
08-31-2014, 12:59 PM
Vickerson getting interest from Chargers.

This would hurt me almost as much as the Pats

pnbronco
08-31-2014, 12:59 PM
Bibbs and Boyett also through to PS per Troy Renck

Thanks Von!!!! Yeah.....hope things work out for Boyett.

Simple Jaded
08-31-2014, 01:06 PM
Well, Norwood would have made it as a PR if not for injury, so Burse is essentially just taking his place. Our 53 man breakdown is already 24 offense / 26 defense / 3 ST, so I doubt we would have sacrificed another offensive player for Vick. Most likely it would have been a LB if we were keeping both Vick and Unrein.

I'm not speculating who's roster spot Burse took, or who gets cut if Vickerson wasn't, I'm just saying that keeping a rookie PR over a someone like Vickerson is stupid. I hope Burse is worth it.

Simple Jaded
08-31-2014, 01:42 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/nfl/was/washington-redskins

DukeI signed with Redskins, that's right I said Redskins.

TXBRONC
08-31-2014, 01:42 PM
I agree with this, and mostly I'm nitpicking because there's not much to complain about on this team. If there's an opportunity to upgrade a backup out there, I see no reason to pass that up.

I agree.

Joel
08-31-2014, 02:32 PM
This would hurt me almost as much as the Pats
Definitely; our RBs and blockers are nowhere nearly good enough I want to deal with Ball or the rest trying to run through Big Vick twice a year. With a few glaring exceptions, Ramirez was OK in protection last year, but would need a lot of help from Franklin or Vasquez to push back a guy with Vickersons strength and power. I'd worry less if it were Unrein.

TXBRONC
08-31-2014, 05:26 PM
Definitely; our RBs and blockers are nowhere nearly good enough I want to deal with Ball or the rest trying to run through Big Vick twice a year. With a few glaring exceptions, Ramirez was OK in protection last year, but would need a lot of help from Franklin or Vasquez to push back a guy with Vickersons strength and power. I'd worry less if it were Unrein.

Denver's offensive line is very good. You have NO earthly idea how well Ramirez be able to handle Vickerson. I guess you're not familiar with what Vickerson is at. Vickerson was and maybe still is a solid run stuffer but collapsing the pocket wasn't a strength of his. Most people know that on obvious passing downs he was the defensive tackle who went off the field when Denver would go into their dime packages.

I think universally Vickerson was liked as a player but most people are not ignorant about his strengths and weaknesses. If he was player you've described he wouldn't have been cut and he would still be starting. I've mentioned I would liked have kept him but by no means did I think he would start it also assumed he was healthy enough to contribute.

Joel
08-31-2014, 06:07 PM
Denver's offensive line is very good. You have NO earthly idea how well Ramirez be able to handle Vickerson. I guess you're not familiar with what Vickerson is at. Vickerson was and maybe still is a solid run stuffer but collapsing the pocket wasn't a strength of his. Most people know that on obvious passing downs he was the defensive tackle who went off the field when Denver would go into their dime packages.

I think universally Vickerson was liked as a player but most people are not ignorant about his strengths and weaknesses. If he was player you've described he wouldn't have been cut and he would still be starting. I've mentioned I would liked have kept him but by no means did I think he would start it also assumed he was healthy enough to contribute.
Not seeing how "Ramirez was OK in protection last year, but would need a lot of help from Franklin or Vasquez to push back a guy with Vickersons strength and power" conflicts with any of that. It says Vickerson probably couldn't get through Ramirez to Manning, but Ramirez would probably need help against him to open holes for Ball; isn't that pretty much what you're saying, too?

UnderArmour
08-31-2014, 06:29 PM
I'm not speculating who's roster spot Burse took, or who gets cut if Vickerson wasn't, I'm just saying that keeping a rookie PR over a someone like Vickerson is stupid. I hope Burse is worth it.

Disagree. Marvin Austin earned his spot over Vickerson this offseason and the extra $2 million in rollover cap is $2 million extra to sign Demaryius to a long-term extension next offseason or $2 million extra to retain Potroast. It was a tough decision, but we have so much depth that carrying Unrein and Austin behind Sly and Knighton made the most sense. Burse was going to make it because Jordan Norwood tore his ACL and Welker is concussion prone. Tamme and Sanders can fill in for Welker's slot role, but Burse is going to get Welker's gameday spot if he has to miss any mount of time or may even get an active role on gameday outright if the team deems Welker/Sanders too valuable to use as at punt returner.

Simple Jaded
08-31-2014, 06:39 PM
Disagree. Marvin Austin earned his spot over Vickerson this offseason and the extra $2 million in rollover cap is $2 million extra to sign Demaryius to a long-term extension next offseason or $2 million extra to retain Potroast. It was a tough decision, but we have so much depth that carrying Unrein and Austin behind Sly and Knighton made the most sense. Burse was going to make it because Jordan Norwood tore his ACL and Welker is concussion prone. Tamme and Sanders can fill in for Welker's slot role, but Burse is going to get Welker's gameday spot if he has to miss any mount of time or may even get an active role on gameday outright if the team deems Welker/Sanders too valuable to use as at punt returner.

I know why Vickerson was released, I said it was stupid, and I'd be willing to bet the Broncos struggled with it as much as we do. Let's hope they can stay healthy on DL, they only kept 8.

Joel
08-31-2014, 10:46 PM
I keep seeing the cap number cited and keep not getting it. Unrein makes 80% of what Vickerson does, but, if healthy, Vickerson's a MUCH better DT. He's not as good a DE, and may not be 100% healthy, so I can see those arguments, but, in terms of money, Vickerson delivers more bang for the buck, especially since we're so deep at DE we probably won't need Unrein there either.

MOtorboat
09-01-2014, 12:28 AM
I keep seeing the cap number cited and keep not getting it. Unrein makes 80% of what Vickerson does, but, if healthy, Vickerson's a MUCH better DT. He's not as good a DE, and may not be 100% healthy, so I can see those arguments, but, in terms of money, Vickerson delivers more bang for the buck, especially since we're so deep at DE we probably won't need Unrein there either.

You're wrong. Deal with it. Elway knows more than you and it's time to realize that.

UnderArmour
09-01-2014, 08:46 AM

Unrein also plays special teams. Vickerson was competing with Marvin Austin, not with Mitch Unrein. Unrein's roster spot was never in jeopardy because of his value in other places.

Joel
09-01-2014, 08:57 AM
You're wrong. Deal with it. Elway knows more than you and it's time to realize that.
In terms of MONEY, Vickersons $2 mil-Unreins $1.6 mil is a relatively tiny NFL salary figure. Elway's also aware of Vickersons health and Unreins flexibility though, and I strongly suspect those (and Unrein being slightly younger) were the decisive factors. His statement on Big Vick cited Unreins youth and higher ceiling; any mention of cash?

Unrein also plays special teams. Vickerson was competing with Marvin Austin, not with Mitch Unrein. Unrein's roster spot was never in jeopardy because of his value in other places.
Again, his statement on Vickersons release referenced Unrein, not Austin; it very much looks like Austin was the one whose spot was always secure.

VonDoom
09-01-2014, 08:58 AM

Not entirely true, based on Elway's presser. This link has a quote from him on it:

http://www.denverssportsstation.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=18311

In the end it was Unrein’s youthful upside and position flexibility that did in Vickerson’s chances at surviving the final cut down.

Unrein, who’s joined Denver in 2010 alongside Vickerson, is now among the older defensive linemen at age 27, but still has four years on the 31-year-old veteran.

And Elway championed Unrein’s versatility on the defensive line –– moving outside as well as playing interior defensive line –– as a factor in the decision to waive Vickerson.

“… We had to make a decision on one of the two and Mitch is a little bit younger and a guy we think that has a higher standing at this point in time of his career,” Elway said.

MOtorboat
09-01-2014, 09:56 AM
In terms of MONEY, Vickersons $2 mil-Unreins $1.6 mil is a relatively tiny NFL salary figure. Elway's also aware of Vickersons health and Unreins flexibility though, and I strongly suspect those (and Unrein being slightly younger) were the decisive factors. His statement on Big Vick cited Unreins youth and higher ceiling; any mention of cash?

Again, his statement on Vickersons release referenced Unrein, not Austin; it very much looks like Austin was the one whose spot was always secure.

$2.26 or $1.4.

So they went with the younger guy. The dead cap money (in this case $500,000) for Vickerson would have been the same with Unrein. I have a feeling the coaches made the call on this, as well, through camp performance. But you don't put much stock in that, either, do you?

I'm not the one disagreeing with you here, it's Elway and Fox.

BroncoWave
09-01-2014, 10:19 AM
Anyone who is actually surprised by use keeping guys like Austin and Unrein over Vickerson haven't been paying attention to Elway's strategy of building a team. It's not just about winning now. It's about winning "from now on" as Elway says. Is Vickerson a little better than those guys RIGHT NOW? Maybe. But they are both younger, cheaper, and close enough in talent to him that is makes more sense to keep them for our long term future, while still fielding a really damn good team this year.

I think it's pretty damn silly to question the way Elway builds a football team given the results his methods have produced so far.

MOtorboat
09-01-2014, 10:41 AM
Anyone who is actually surprised by use keeping guys like Austin and Unrein over Vickerson haven't been paying attention to Elway's strategy of building a team. It's not just about winning now. It's about winning "from now on" as Elway says. Is Vickerson a little better than those guys RIGHT NOW? Maybe. But they are both younger, cheaper, and close enough in talent to him that is makes more sense to keep them for our long term future, while still fielding a really damn good team this year.

I think it's pretty damn silly to question the way Elway builds a football team given the results his methods have produced so far.

Yeah, but they lost the Super Bowl, so you know, that makes everything questionable.

Slick
09-01-2014, 07:07 PM
Joel is still right about Denver's lack of balance on offense being a huge problem in the Superbowl. His rants have merit.

BroncoWave
09-01-2014, 07:10 PM
Joel is still right about Denver's lack of balance on offense being a huge problem in the Superbowl. His rants have merit.

Sometimes you just have to tip your hat to the opponents and accept that they were better than you that day. I don't think it's necessary to change anything about a historically great offense because we ran into a buzzsaw of a defense and had a bad day. Our running game was just fine last year IMO, and still is.

MOtorboat
09-01-2014, 07:12 PM

In possibly explaining one game, maybe. But balance wasn't the problem, because nothing worked. The longer trend shows plenty of offensive balance, and I think Elway's offseason moves prove that he also believes the balance problem was more a defense-offense issue rather than a running-passing issue.

TXBRONC
09-01-2014, 07:24 PM

Not really. Taking one game out eighteen to make a point doesn't have much validity.

Slick
09-01-2014, 07:43 PM
Denver did nothing but play right into the stregnths of that Seattle defense in the Superbowl and Joel is the ******* for pointing it out.

Slick
09-01-2014, 07:45 PM
In possibly explaining one game, maybe. But balance wasn't the problem, because nothing worked. The longer trend shows plenty of offensive balance, and I think Elway's offseason moves prove that he also believes the balance problem was more a defense-offense issue rather than a running-passing issue.

I think Elway made some great moves after that debacle. No doubt. I am anxiously awaiting to see the results. I think they are a much tougher team on paper and the likleyhood of repeating that performance is minimal.

MOtorboat
09-01-2014, 08:01 PM
I think Elway made some great moves after that debacle. No doubt. I am anxiously awaiting to see the results. I think they are a much tougher team on paper and the likleyhood of repeating that performance is minimal.

None of which were a reaction to that one game. They were moves that indicated different problems, none of them on the offensive side of the football.

Slick
09-01-2014, 08:07 PM
None of which were a reaction to that one game. They were moves that indicated different problems, none of them on the offensive side of the football.

Letting go of Beadles and Moreno and moving Franklin inside along with a slew of RBs in camp leads me to believe that he wanted to shore up the running game at least a little bit.

MOtorboat
09-01-2014, 08:13 PM
Letting go of Beadles and Moreno and moving Franklin inside along with a slew of RBs in camp leads me to believe that he wanted to shore up the running game at least a little bit.

I think moving Franklin had more to do with having three starting tackles under contract and just one guard (Ramirez). Franklin was the only one of the three with experience at guard, albeit in college. That move certainly was a way to free up some money by not having to sign Beadles. I don't think it was the demotion many have speculated it to be.

TXBRONC
09-01-2014, 08:38 PM
Denver did nothing but play right into the stregnths of that Seattle defense in the Superbowl and Joel is the ******* for pointing it out.

I'm not calling Joel anything bad. If Joel is right then Elway is a idiot because nothing Joel has said seems to be anywhere in near what Elway thinks.

Cugel
09-02-2014, 10:34 AM
Right, because the majority of their profits go to employee wages. The NFL doesn't even do that, despite an aggressive union representing employees who command and get 8 figure salaries on the open market; Arby's employees will take 8 DOLLARS/hr and be grateful.

I think they missed your sarcasm here. Just this morning, 104.3 The Fan had a segment on how the players' union "got taken out behind the woodshed in negotiating the last CBA" because of the skyrocketing value of NFL franchises which of course goes into the owners' pockets. The Dallas Cowboys are now worth well over 3 billion $ according to Forbes and the Broncos up from $1.1 billion to $1.7 billion in recent years. In fact, the increase in the value of franchises dwarfs revenue increases for the NFL.

NFL employees like Arby's employees lack bargaining power. NFL players are better off of course, but they pay for it. I recently met a guy who was a former LB for the Cincinnati Bengals. He played for 2 years and another on the practice squad with another team. That was 15 years ago. Now he's driving me to the airport in his cab. He talks about how he's in constant pain from a hip injury and can barely walk. Needless to say, he's not a rich man today. He's typical of the average former NFL player, not the Peyton Mannings of the world. Played a couple of years and made maybe the league minimum. Then out of the league and saddled with a lifetime of crippling pain.

BroncoJoe
09-02-2014, 10:56 AM
I think they missed your sarcasm here. Just this morning, 104.3 The Fan had a segment on how the players' union "got taken out behind the woodshed in negotiating the last CBA" because of the skyrocketing value of NFL franchises which of course goes into the owners' pockets. The Dallas Cowboys are now worth well over 3 billion $ according to Forbes and the Broncos up from $1.1 billion to $1.7 billion in recent years. In fact, the increase in the value of franchises dwarfs revenue increases for the NFL.

NFL employees like Arby's employees lack bargaining power. NFL players are better off of course, but they pay for it. I recently met a guy who was a former LB for the Cincinnati Bengals. He played for 2 years and another on the practice squad with another team. That was 15 years ago. Now he's driving me to the airport in his cab. He talks about how he's in constant pain from a hip injury and can barely walk. Needless to say, he's not a rich man today. He's typical of the average former NFL player, not the Peyton Mannings of the world. Played a couple of years and made maybe the league minimum. Then out of the league and saddled with a lifetime of crippling pain.

A company's worth does not equate to cash-flow.

And, for the one player you met, there are hundreds that don't have significant physical ailments.

VonDoom
09-02-2014, 11:39 AM
I saw a few reports on Twitter that Vickerson signed with the Bengals. I can live with that.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-02-2014, 01:44 PM
I saw a few reports on Twitter that Vickerson signed with the Bengals. I can live with that.

Coley Harvey @ColeyHarvey · 40m

According to his Instagram page, former Broncos DT Kevin Vickerson has signed with #Bengals. He did visit yesterday. http://instagram.com/p/scvAWAQLy7/

VonDoom
09-02-2014, 03:40 PM
The Bengals, however, will not sign Vickerson this week, according to an NFL source. Possibly next week. Any vested veteran (four years or more of NFL service time) who is on a team’s season-opening roster automatically has his full-season salary guaranteed.

Vickerson is 31 and coming off a dislocated hip injury, which presents enough question mark for a team to minimize its risk.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2014/09/02/kevin-vickerson-shops-around/29160/

Simple Jaded
09-02-2014, 11:36 PM
Ok keeping Burse isn't so stupid anymore.