PDA

View Full Version : K McManus Relishing Opportunity

Denver Native (Carol)
08-27-2014, 08:49 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Less than 24 hours after being traded from the Giants, new Broncos kicker Brandon McManus was on the Dove Valley practice fields Wednesday, working on chemistry with holder Britton Colquitt.

"We just wanted to get the snap, hold and kick, me get used to the timing, everything like that," McManus said. "What nuances that I like to do, compared to Matt [Prater], for Britton to understand."

McManus will travel with the team to Dallas for Thursday’s game against the Cowboys. He should have some opportunities to show off his big leg, which has produced 10 touchbacks in 11 kickoffs this preseason.

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/K-McManus-Relishing-Opportunity/ab4643d3-bbe8-4811-8f58-b12397c675cf

Dzone
08-27-2014, 09:07 PM
Gotta love his attitude and picking Vinatieris brain will be a huge asset. Cant wait to see what this kid can do at altitude.

blamkin86
08-29-2014, 10:16 AM
Gotta love his attitude and picking Vinatieris brain will be a huge asset. Cant wait to see what this kid can do at altitude.

Would have been better for him to make those two longs ones last night. I wonder what will happen now.

BroncoJoe
08-29-2014, 10:31 AM
Would have been better for him to make those two longs ones last night. I wonder what will happen now.

I'll give the kid a break - working with a new holder is like a QB getting a new center - there tend to be problems with the exchange.

GEM
08-29-2014, 12:08 PM
He had the distance and hooked both right, he'll be practicing a lot so hopefully he can work out the kinks.

Cugel
08-29-2014, 12:45 PM
Hopefully, they won't need him for many FGs during the 4 games he'll be on the roster. The Broncos might go for it on 4th down in situations where they might try a FG if Prater were available. Give Manning 4 downs and he's probably going to make a first down anyway.

Joel
08-29-2014, 05:38 PM
Does anyone know the SPECIFIC conditions of his trade? All I've seen is the Giants get our final pick if McManus becomes our kicker, but how's "our kicker" defined? Does he have to start, be on the 53, or just be anywhere in the organization, even the PS? And what's the time frame; is it Opening Day, a minimum number of regular season games or just SOME time during the season? Barring the unthinkable, we're talking one of the bottom dozen picks, hopefully Mr. Irrelevant.

It IS a draft pick though, so has some nominal value, if only because we won't have that 7th rounder to make a similar token offer for someone later this year.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-30-2014, 10:15 AM
Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 26m

#Broncos auditioning some young kickers today, including Andrew Furney, who kicked well in #Jets camp. Brandon McManus is kicker on roster

MOtorboat
08-30-2014, 12:50 PM
Does anyone know the SPECIFIC conditions of his trade? All I've seen is the Giants get our final pick if McManus becomes our kicker, but how's "our kicker" defined? Does he have to start, be on the 53, or just be anywhere in the organization, even the PS? And what's the time frame; is it Opening Day, a minimum number of regular season games or just SOME time during the season? Barring the unthinkable, we're talking one of the bottom dozen picks, hopefully Mr. Irrelevant.

It IS a draft pick though, so has some nominal value, if only because we won't have that 7th rounder to make a similar token offer for someone later this year.

Couple things. It can't be Mr. Irrelevant. Mr. Irrelevant is a compensation pick that cannot be traded.

Second, the conditions of the trade are if he's cut before week four, no draft pick is exchanged.

Ziggy
08-30-2014, 02:11 PM
I'd like to see the Broncos stick with the kid. If this team has one glaring weakness, it's our special teams coverage. At least kickoffs would be an after thought.

BroncoTech
08-31-2014, 01:22 AM
Until this guy proves he can kick his way out of a brown page bag I won't be making any excuses for this guy. The coaches were so impressed with his game performance they flew in 2 other kickers to look at the next day. I wouldn't bother training this guy his shelf life is 1 month.

Dapper Dan
08-31-2014, 01:57 AM
I hate relish.

Joel
08-31-2014, 06:14 AM
Couple things. It can't be Mr. Irrelevant. Mr. Irrelevant is a compensation pick that cannot be traded.

Second, the conditions of the trade are if he's cut before week four, no draft pick is exchanged.
Okay, thanks; that makes the next question "when does week four start?" At the final gun of our week three game, the Monday night game, midnight on Sunday or...?

It sounds like we may only get to see him in two games before we must commit. Granted, it's only our last pick but, again, that's filler/sweetener we won't have for a trade later.

I'd still rather pay Kickalicious $420k; he actually did respond to my FB friend request, and says he's worked on KOs so he has no trouble with touchbacks now, but the sticking point is something a few articles mentioned last year: He's a leftie, and most teams don't want lefties because that snap/hold sequence practiced until teams can do it in their sleep is completely reversed for lefties, and holders don't like messing with that automatic motion. Who knew backup QBs had that kind of pull? :tongue:

Denver Native (Carol)
09-02-2014, 05:25 PM
Kicking the habit would be a lot easier if kicking wasn't the habit. Brandon McManus excelled academically at Temple. He harbors dreams of becoming an orthopedic surgeon. The solace of the operating room can't yet match the roar of a sellout crowd.

McManus decided early in life that he liked the spotlight, the moment when a game is decided by a swing of the leg. He might get that chance Sunday, making his NFL debut in the Broncos' nationally televised season opener against the Indianapolis Colts.

"The reason I wanted to be a kicker is that I loved the pressure situations, the thrill of it," McManus said after practice Monday. "When I was growing up, I always wanted to take the penalty kicks in soccer or shoot the free throws in basketball. I enjoy it."

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_26453671/brandon-mcmanus-welcomes-pressure-broncos-fill-at-kicker