PDA

View Full Version : Mason's Morsels: Roby's progress, return possibilities and more

Denver Native (Carol)
08-27-2014, 05:42 PM
As Head Coach John Fox says whenever asked about the possibilities of adding players from outside the roster, "You're always looking to improve your football team." You have a pro scouting staff that monitors the other 31 teams, and will scrutinize the waiver wire after final cuts. And in two of the last three years, the Broncos added the man who would end up as their leading returner a few weeks into the season: Quan Cosby (2011, added Sept. 20) and Trindon Holliday (2012, waiver claim Oct. 11). But to add a returner from outside, it would have to represent a clear upgrade over the options that exist: keeping rookie Isaiah Burse, using Emmanuel Sanders to catch punts, or sending Andre Caldwell and/or Omar Bolden back for kickoffs.

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Masons-Morsels-Robys-progress-return-possibilities-and-more/be48a224-3d96-481f-befb-d3cb8edbad6d

Joel
08-27-2014, 06:06 PM
Quan Cosby and Trindon Holliday aren't great arguments for our recent method of selecting returners. Good stuff on Roby, Bolden, Webster and Harris though—unless you're Tony Carter....

TXBRONC
08-27-2014, 06:20 PM
Quan Cosby and Trindon Holliday aren't great arguments for our recent method of selecting returners. Good stuff on Roby, Bolden, Webster and Harris though—unless you're Tony Carter....

Both Cosby and Holliday had flaws as all players do but both were productive especially Holliday.

Joel
08-27-2014, 07:13 PM
Both Cosby and Holliday had flaws as all players do but both were productive especially Holliday.
Sure both were productive—just not for US. Holliday was great the last half of 2012 and first half of 2013, but awful before and after (though the "before" was why Houston cut him.) It was zero sum right up till he ran the SBs opening kick out from deep in our end zone and got planted at our 14, which turned out to be an omen. Cosby was just awful, and not just vs. NE.

Dzone
08-27-2014, 07:23 PM
I like the idea of just going for 2 and going for it on 4th down every time. Just keep a kicker for kickoffs and emergencies. We dont need field goals

TXBRONC
08-28-2014, 04:10 PM
Sure both were productive—just not for US. Holliday was great the last half of 2012 and first half of 2013, but awful before and after (though the "before" was why Houston cut him.) It was zero sum right up till he ran the SBs opening kick out from deep in our end zone and got planted at our 14, which turned out to be an omen. Cosby was just awful, and not just vs. NE.

Yes they were productive for the Broncos especially Holliday. Six return touchdowns is called production. Now we're done.

Joel
08-28-2014, 08:05 PM
Yes they were productive for the Broncos especially Holliday. Six return touchdowns is called production. Now we're done.
6 TDs—10 fumbles; is that a net positive?

Canmore
08-29-2014, 03:50 AM
6 TDs—10 fumbles; is that a net positive?

Obviously not with John Elway or he would still be here.

Joel
08-29-2014, 04:56 PM
Obviously not with John Elway or he would still be here.
Well, there you go then; NEGATIVE production is only nominally "production."

Simple Jaded
08-30-2014, 01:29 AM
Holiday was productive for both teams.

Joel
08-30-2014, 01:41 AM
Holiday was productive for both teams.
Yet both released him; seems like neither concurs with that assessment.

Simple Jaded
08-30-2014, 11:24 PM
Yet both released him; seems like neither concurs with that assessment.

What I meant was he was productive for Denver and Denver's opponent.

Joel
08-31-2014, 07:14 AM
What I meant was he was productive for Denver and Denver's opponent.
Ah, I see. He could only NET production for one though, and, IMHO, the balance was with our opponents, so I'll not miss him.