PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Cuts

spikerman
08-24-2014, 07:52 PM
First set is in. Justice surprised me.

http://dbron.co/4mz

BroncoWave
08-24-2014, 07:54 PM
No huge shockers there. I guess Justice is a mild surprise, but certainly no stunner. Glad to see Jordan Sullen (who I went to college with) make it past the first round of cuts.

tomjonesrocks
08-24-2014, 07:57 PM
Nope. Some prognosticators were making bold predictions Clay would make the team early; they were wrong.

CoachChaz
08-24-2014, 08:13 PM
Had hopes for Chaney. Oh well

BroncoWave
08-24-2014, 08:14 PM
Had hopes for Chaney. Oh well

Me too. As an MSU fan, it stings to see two of our guys on that list.

Simple Jaded
08-25-2014, 12:03 AM
Chaney and Jerrell Harris, Harris is better than Barrett. Apparently Clay is a huge *******.

aberdien
08-25-2014, 12:05 AM
I have a friend who went to school with Clay. That is all.

Magnificent Seven
08-25-2014, 12:18 AM

Indeed. I was surprised about Justice. So far, It feels right about it.

tomjonesrocks
08-25-2014, 12:18 AM
Chaney and Jerrell Harris, Harris is better than Barrett. Apparently Clay is a huge *******.

You had something so heated enough to say about Clay it triggered the profanity filter?

Simple Jaded
08-25-2014, 01:58 AM
You had something so heated enough to say about Clay it triggered the profanity filter?

Sports talk radio leads one to believe that the players and coaches didn't like Clay, the word that triggered profanity filter was Holeass.

Northman
08-25-2014, 05:16 AM
No surprises for me.

Traveler
08-25-2014, 09:47 AM
Looking at the current roster, I can identify about 20 names for the final round of cuts. Those last five cuts are probably going to surprise us with many of them due to salary cap ramifications, per Legwold.

BroncoNut
08-25-2014, 09:48 AM
I have a friend who went to school with Clay. That is all.

no, you don't get off the hook that easy. what are the details

Ziggy
08-25-2014, 11:00 AM
I'd really like to see Hillman go in favor of Kapri Bibbs on the last cut. Hillman's draft status may keep him on the roster though.

BroncoWave
08-25-2014, 11:31 AM
I'd really like to see Hillman go in favor of Kapri Bibbs on the last cut. Hillman's draft status may keep him on the roster though.

I don't understand this at all. Hillman has looked much improved this preseason. He's been running hard, breaking tackles, and holding onto the ball. Bibbs has shown next to nothing imo. I don't see any good reason to keep him over Hillman.

Magnificent Seven
08-25-2014, 12:54 PM
Ronnie Hillman has improved his ball security and I think they will keep him for season '14. However, Juwan Thompson is a young beast and he is chasing for # 2 spot.

underrated29
08-25-2014, 01:10 PM
I don't understand this at all. Hillman has looked much improved this preseason. He's been running hard, breaking tackles, and holding onto the ball. Bibbs has shown next to nothing imo. I don't see any good reason to keep him over Hillman.

While I agree with much of what you have said. I think Hillman sucks. Plain and simple. Id really rather trade him and be rid of him. His salary is much more than a UFDA like bibbs and his production is only slightly better.

Granted, I am not all that high on bibbs as he has not shown a whole lot either. I think he would be fine on the PS but still. Cant we trade hillman for Jon Stewart? I ll throw in bibbs and bennie fowler. Carolina needs wr.

Tebowtime2011
08-25-2014, 01:14 PM
I'm surprised isiah burse isn't on the list.

Northman
08-25-2014, 01:15 PM
Although ive only seen the Texan game i thought Hillman was much improved as well. Would be really dumb to cut him for Bibbs at this point who has shown nothing of note.

slim
08-25-2014, 01:17 PM
Although ive only seen the Texan game i thought Hillman was much improved as well. Would be really dumb to cut him for Bibbs at this point who has shown nothing of note.

If you haven't watched any of the games, how do you know Bibbs hasn't done anything of note?

Valar Morghulis
08-25-2014, 01:35 PM
If i am honest - i have not heard of some of them.

I think Clay might have been cut for his attitude rather than his play

slim
08-25-2014, 01:38 PM
If i am honest - i have not heard of some of them.

I think Clay might have been cut for his attitude rather than his play

IDK, there is no way he would make the team over Juwan Thompson or CJ Anderson.

Valar Morghulis
08-25-2014, 01:42 PM
IDK, there is no way he would make the team over Juwan Thompson or CJ Anderson.

You are correct mate -my bad, i overstated the significance of his attitude in my post - but my point was that i heard he was not well liked

slim
08-25-2014, 01:44 PM
You are correct mate -my bad, i overstated the significance of his attitude in my post - but my point was that i heard he was not well liked

That could be. I think he is from Oklahoma.

Northman
08-25-2014, 01:58 PM
If you haven't watched any of the games, how do you know Bibbs hasn't done anything of note?

I would think he would of worked his way up the depth chart a lot more if he had. All ive heard about when it comes to the RB's as far as the unknowns is Thompson. I would think that if Bibbs had stood out there would of been some mention of him but there hasnt been.

BroncoWave
08-25-2014, 03:26 PM
Yeah North, you're right about bibbs he really hasn't shown much of anything in the preseason. I see no reason why he should make the team over Hillman. People talk about bibbs being cheaper, but it's not like we're throwing the bank at Hillman . He's making 800k this season.

Joel
08-25-2014, 05:10 PM

Me, too; maybe the coaches think Schofield and Cornick are coming along well? I think they played most of the second half against Houston, and I don't recall seeing Justice. Could be PS logistics: A 3rd round rookie OT on the PS practically invites someone to sign him off waivers, and Justice has no PS eligibility left. Cornick does though, and Justice is a former starter and 2nd rounder, so I dunno. Maybe our G depth is good enough Franklin counts as a #4 OT in a pinch, but I really hope we don't run with just one backup OT.

Chaney and Jerrell Harris, Harris is better than Barrett.
Sure looked like it to me, but I've only seen them in games, not practice. Then again, games are what earn playoff berths and Rings.

Agreed; Hillman's looked fine (not great, but good enough) in all the preseason games, so if he's got the fumbling issue licked, he should be an adequate backup. The only time I recall seeing Bibbs be EVEN adequate was the last game, and ALL our RBs (except Clay) did OK then. Before that, I saw lots of dancing from Bibbs, but few yards. I'd PS him as a 5th RB and see if he turns into more after his rookie year, but my active roster would be Ball-->Hillman-->Thompson-->Anderson. For $800k, Hillman>Bibbs, by a LOT.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-25-2014, 07:57 PM
Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 2h

Per ESPN's Field Yates #Broncos formally put Jordan Norwood in IR today and put LB jamar Chaney on IR too (hamstring)...

silkamilkamonico
08-25-2014, 08:23 PM
Bibbs doesn't look like he's worth anything. I hope Denver doesn't even waste a practice roster spot on thatguy. Terrible.

NightTerror218
08-25-2014, 10:53 PM
I'm surprised isiah burse isn't on the list.

He may be the lone punt returner now with wes and norwood.

tomjonesrocks
08-26-2014, 01:17 AM

I agree with you. I don't really care if they keep Bibbs or another player over Hillman, the ceiling is so low for Hillman I hope he gets cut. I am sick of wasting time on his ass. I don't see the great preseason improvement.

He won't get cut of course; but it -would- please me if it happened.

Valar Morghulis
08-26-2014, 01:54 AM

I would have Caldwell as my punt returner and tell him to catch it and take a knee 90% of the time

Joel
08-26-2014, 06:57 AM
Well, it lists him third behind them, even after we've officially IRed Norwood, and there's no way in Hell Welker will return punts. Caldwell or Bolden might be better.

BroncoWave
08-26-2014, 07:18 AM
I just don't understand what some of you people are seeing when you watch these games. Guys like CJ Anderson and Juwan Thompson are raised to demigod status for running over 3rd and 4th stringers, yet Hillman shows improvement and runs well vs starters and people want him cut??? Makes absolutely no sense to me.

Joel
08-26-2014, 09:10 AM
Hillman has baggage Anderson and Thompson don't. Previous regular season peformance can help or hurt depending on whether it helped or hurt the team. Many people still see Hillmans goal line fumble @Indy, not this preseason. I still see his weak running at the end of regulation against Baltimore in the playoffs, when we led by a TD with <1:00 and no Ravens TOs, so all he had to do was get one more first down, but couldn't do it in three tries. He's good enough for depth though, and I'm willing to wait and see if he's recovered from fumblitis.

CoachChaz
08-26-2014, 09:13 AM
I just don't understand what some of you people are seeing when you watch these games. Guys like CJ Anderson and Juwan Thompson are raised to demigod status for running over 3rd and 4th stringers, yet Hillman shows improvement and runs well vs starters and people want him cut??? Makes absolutely no sense to me.

I think the biggest problem with Hillman is that while he's "shifty", he really doesnt have that extra gear that was suppose to be his calling card...and he typically goes down on first contact. Yeah, I could see some spot areas where he'd have a value of giving other guys a rest, but as far as backs that can run, block, catch and pick up tough yards...I would definitely prefer Ball, Anderson and Thompson.

If Hillman was more of a Sproles, McCluster, Woodhead, Rodgers type then he'd have more value as a "third down guy". But despite the advertisements, he just doenst bring what those guys do and he becomes very average at best.

TXBRONC
08-26-2014, 09:44 AM

If Bibbs makes the team it will because of special teams but it won't be at the expense of Hillman because he's had good excellent camp and preseason.

BroncoWave
08-26-2014, 10:31 AM

I think the biggest problem with Hillman is that while he's "shifty", he really doesnt have that extra gear that was suppose to be his calling card...and he typically goes down on first contact. Yeah, I could see some spot areas where he'd have a value of giving other guys a rest, but as far as backs that can run, block, catch and pick up tough yards...I would definitely prefer Ball, Anderson and Thompson.

If Hillman was more of a Sproles, McCluster, Woodhead, Rodgers type then he'd have more value as a "third down guy". But despite the advertisements, he just doenst bring what those guys do and he becomes very average at best.

But Hillman hasn't been going down on first contact this preseason. I've seen him break several tackles and churn out extra yards. You guys are acting like it's impossible for a player to improve. I guess no one learned their lesson from moreno that players can fix fumbling issues and improve as a player.

Buff
08-26-2014, 11:00 AM

Lots of people made up their mind on Hillman last year... It will take sustained production in games to win them over, which is fine. I think he's got a higher ceiling than Knowshon had personally.

CoachChaz
08-26-2014, 11:07 AM
But Hillman hasn't been going down on first contact this preseason. I've seen him break several tackles and churn out extra yards. You guys are acting like it's impossible for a player to improve. I guess no one learned their lesson from moreno that players can fix fumbling issues and improve as a player.

And he will make the team. For me personally...I just dont think he brings anything to the team that the other three dont already bring and if we want to look at a true "third down back" or quick receiver type out of the backfield, then I believe we add that person at the expense of Hillman. Mostly because I have to believe that was what he was brought here for in the first place. Otherwise, you dont draft Ball last year.

GEM
08-26-2014, 11:28 AM

Guess I'm not the only one with an unhealthy dislike for Hillman. :lol:

BroncoWave
08-26-2014, 11:41 AM

Guess I'm not the only one with an unhealthy dislike for Hillman. :lol:

Never said you were. Seems like we go through this same song and dance every year with a different player though. Fans get impatient because a player isn't awesome immediately and they want us to get rid of him, but the coaches are more patient and the player winds up improving.

I would understand if people were wanting to get rid of Hillman for an established player, but I just don't get wanting to dump him for a couple of udfas who have never done anything against starting nfl players. Especially when we usually keep 4 rbs and have room to keep all of them anyway.

CoachChaz
08-26-2014, 11:52 AM
Never said you were. Seems like we go through this same song and dance every year with a different player though. Fans get impatient because a player isn't awesome immediately and they want us to get rid of him, but the coaches are more patient and the player winds up improving.

I would understand if people were wanting to get rid of Hillman for an established player, but I just don't get wanting to dump him for a couple of udfas who have never done anything against starting nfl players. Especially when we usually keep 4 rbs and have room to keep all of them anyway.

Well...Hillman hasn't exactly proven anything against starting NFL players either, so I guess the UDFA's are pretty much on par with him at the moment.

BroncoWave
08-26-2014, 12:05 PM

Well...Hillman hasn't exactly proven anything against starting NFL players either, so I guess the UDFA's are pretty much on par with him at the moment.

He has done more than they have, and he is also used to playing with our starters and he is more accustomed to our offense. I just don't see any way in which they are on par with him. I'm glad our coaches aren't in the business of giving up on young players early in their careers and replacing them with udfas. That's not the most sound business model imo.

turftoad
08-26-2014, 12:13 PM
I don't really like or dislike Hillman. I'm with Coach on the thinking he hasn't really done anything in the NFL as of yet. I don't think he has the skill set we all thought he did coming out of college. He's not that damn fast or shifty.
Yes, he is very young. He'll be 23 Sept 14th, so he does have room to grow.
As for how he has looked in the pre season, 3.4 yrds per carry vs Houston. That is not great.
At this point, the coach's will be making the decision.

BroncoWave
08-26-2014, 12:18 PM
I don't really like or dislike Hillman. I'm with Coach on the thinking he hasn't really done anything in the NFL as of yet. I don't think he has the skill set we all thought he did coming out of college. He's not that damn fast or shifty.
As for how he has looked in the pre season, 3.4 yrds per carry vs Houston. That is not great.

Most of his carries against Houston were in short yardage situations when the d was playing the run. And he actually picked up the first down on 3 of those 4 carries. I don't think that 7 carries is really sufficient to judge ypc, especially when the majority of those were short yardage carries where he actually did his job and picked up the first down.

GEM
08-26-2014, 12:28 PM
For me to stop bitching about Hillman will be when regular season comes and he doesn't have the continued fumbling issues. I don't trust him and nothing he shows in preseason will change that. Ask me again week 5 of the regular season.

I was wrong about Moreno, maybe I'll be wrong about Hillman.

GEM
08-26-2014, 12:30 PM
Lots of people made up their mind on Hillman last year... It will take sustained production in games to win them over, which is fine. I think he's got a higher ceiling than Knowshon had personally.

I almost high 5'd this until that last sentence. :lol:

BroncoWave
08-26-2014, 12:31 PM
For me to stop bitching about Hillman will be when regular season comes and he doesn't have the continued fumbling issues. I don't trust him and nothing he shows in preseason will change that. Ask me again week 5 of the regular season.

I was wrong about Moreno, maybe I'll be wrong about Hillman.

The beauty of it is that we have the roster room to keep Hillman, CJ, and Juwan. So when the regular season comes they can still compete and the best guy will win the job. I just think that's a better idea than cutting Hillman now when he is still young, cheap, and has potential.

Valar Morghulis
08-26-2014, 12:35 PM
we will drop Hillman like a bad habit when we get CJ Spiller on a trade with Buffalo - isn't that right Jaded?! LOL

GEM
08-26-2014, 12:39 PM
The beauty of it is that we have the roster room to keep Hillman, CJ, and Juwan. So when the regular season comes they can still compete and the best guy will win the job. I just think that's a better idea than cutting Hillman now when he is still young, cheap, and has potential.

We aren't cutting Hillman. That won't happen. I just don't want to give up on young "good" talent for a so so small guy who hasn't shown the growth in a couple of NFL seasons.

BroncoJoe
08-26-2014, 12:40 PM
Man, you all get too worked up over players.

BroncoWave
08-26-2014, 12:50 PM
Man, you all get too worked up over players.

Man, you get too worked up over how worked up we are over players. :D

BroncoJoe
08-26-2014, 01:07 PM

Yes, my one statement compares to your 500 posts regarding Hillman....

BroncoWave
08-26-2014, 01:10 PM

Yes, my one statement compares to your 500 posts regarding Hillman....

Did you have anything to add to this thread or did you just come here to troll?

BroncoJoe
08-26-2014, 01:11 PM
Did you have anything to add to this thread or did you just come here to troll?

LOL - coming from the master...

Last time I checked, the thread is about Broncos Cuts. Hillman wasn't cut.

BroncoWave
08-26-2014, 01:19 PM
That's what I thought. Run along now.

BroncoJoe
08-26-2014, 01:20 PM
That's what I thought. Run along now.

OK daddy.

Traveler
08-26-2014, 02:03 PM
Does anyone here think Thompson makes CJ expendable, thus making room for Bibbs?

Joel
08-26-2014, 02:06 PM
Does anyone here think Thompson makes CJ expendable, thus making room for Bibbs?
I'd rather have CJ than Bibbs, and Bibbs has PS eligibility; I don't believe CJ does. Bibbs isn't ready for even the #2 spot, but may (or may not) be good after another year or two of experience: That's the whole reason the PS exists, so I expect him to end up there unless/until another team's so desperate for a RB with STs ability they pick him up off waivers for their 53.

BroncoJoe
08-26-2014, 02:33 PM

I can't imagine they'd let CJ go for Bibbs. IMO - Ball, Hillman/Thompson/CJ

I also heard they put Thompson at fullback in today's practice.

GEM
08-26-2014, 02:34 PM

Cj has not been very durable, but I see Bibbs going to the practice squad.

Valar Morghulis
08-26-2014, 03:09 PM

If Bibbs beats him out - yeah, but i dont think he has.

BroncoWave
08-26-2014, 03:18 PM
I think bibbs is a prime practice squad candidate. Too many better players ahead of him to make the 53 though imo.

Northman
08-26-2014, 03:28 PM

And i think that is one of the reasons why Hillman wont go. After watching what Moreno did in terms of improvement i think the FO believe they cant just toss him away just yet.

BCJ
08-26-2014, 05:08 PM
Kicker Ewald released to make room for Giants (rookie from Temple) Brandon McManus. Trade was for a conditional 7th round pick (hopefully the last pick in the draft). Will he compete with Prater? Doubt it but it would be nice to be able to trade him and get a better pick than what we spent on him.

GEM
08-26-2014, 05:32 PM
:laugh: I thought Warrior was back.

silkamilkamonico
08-27-2014, 12:30 AM
I think Thompson's only chance is at FB. I don't understand the notion at all about how he makes CJ expendable which could make room for Bibbs. I don't think Bibbs has any chance at making this team. I think they are seeing if he is even practice squad material.

Magnificent Seven
08-27-2014, 01:26 AM
By the way, I would like to mention about something. We knew that Broncos let Knowshon Moreno go... however, it looks like Elway has dumped all McDaniel’s' players except Demaryius Thomas.

Northman
08-27-2014, 05:34 AM
I think Thompson's only chance is at FB. I don't understand the notion at all about how he makes CJ expendable which could make room for Bibbs. I don't think Bibbs has any chance at making this team. I think they are seeing if he is even practice squad material.

He could make CJ expendable if CJ keeps getting hurt. But, i agree with you i dont think Bibbs makes it anyway as i dont feel Denver is ready to give up on CJ quite yet.

CoachChaz
08-27-2014, 09:22 AM
And i think that is one of the reasons why Hillman wont go. After watching what Moreno did in terms of improvement i think the FO believe they cant just toss him away just yet.

Last year Moreno only had 90 more rushing yards and 3 more TD's than he did in his rookie season. So, I dont know that Moreno's "improvement" curve was quite as high as some make it out to be.

If that's the standard, then Hillman only needs to get about 400 yards rushing and 4 TD's to show the same rate of improvement. And I have a feeling he wont get that.

Northman
08-27-2014, 09:42 AM
Last year Moreno only had 90 more rushing yards and 3 more TD's than he did in his rookie season. So, I dont know that Moreno's "improvement" curve was quite as high as some make it out to be.

If that's the standard, then Hillman only needs to get about 400 yards rushing and 4 TD's to show the same rate of improvement. And I have a feeling he wont get that.

Considering what we had before last year with Moreno that says a lot CC. Obviously, if your trying to compare to the good ol' days of TD, Orlando, MA, Portis, Etc it fails mightily in comparison. Im not saying that Hillman will be Adrian Peterson, but knowing that you like a guy like CJ (at least it would seem so) wouldnt you be a little bothered if they only gave him a handful of games or 1 year before cutting him loose? I mean, i would. Like Gemmy, im really bothered by Hillman's ball security but if he can improve there and continue to show more improvement in between the tackles im all for giving him the shot. The thing is, there is absolutely NOTHING that says guys like CJ, Thompson, Bibbs, or whatever is going to do any better than Ronnie at this point. At the end of the day, no matter the back they will need some legitimate time to show what they can do and its probably going to take more than just a few games to do it. Unfortunately, like any other position there are other guys vying for those spots so someone is going to be left out in the cold unless they can do enough to override Ball or Hillman at this point.

TXBRONC
08-27-2014, 10:10 AM

Fwiw Ball's ypc was 3.3. Ball and Hillman had eight touches (rushing and receiving) a piece.

CoachChaz
08-27-2014, 10:26 AM
Considering what we had before last year with Moreno that says a lot CC. Obviously, if your trying to compare to the good ol' days of TD, Orlando, MA, Portis, Etc it fails mightily in comparison. Im not saying that Hillman will be Adrian Peterson, but knowing that you like a guy like CJ (at least it would seem so) wouldnt you be a little bothered if they only gave him a handful of games or 1 year before cutting him loose? I mean, i would. Like Gemmy, im really bothered by Hillman's ball security but if he can improve there and continue to show more improvement in between the tackles im all for giving him the shot. The thing is, there is absolutely NOTHING that says guys like CJ, Thompson, Bibbs, or whatever is going to do any better than Ronnie at this point. At the end of the day, no matter the back they will need some legitimate time to show what they can do and its probably going to take more than just a few games to do it. Unfortunately, like any other position there are other guys vying for those spots so someone is going to be left out in the cold unless they can do enough to override Ball or Hillman at this point.

I guess I have a tendency to base my thoughts on a combination of what I've seen and what the player can bring. So far, I dont think we've seen ANY of what Hillman was advertised to bring. He's not that fast...he's not that shifty...he's not that good. On top of that, I dont think he's an every down back and never will be. His just doesnt have the decisiveness and elusiveness for his size and I really believe he was brought in to be a 3rd down guy that can get a few carries and some receptions. I think that is compounded by the fact they drafted Ball last year.

That all being said...while they havent had the time to completely show it...I think CJ and Thompson have the size to get regular carries as well as the ability to catch the ball and sit in there and block. It may be a limited sample size, but we've had a pretty good look at what Hillman brings to the table...and it isnt much. Yes...there is the chance he can improve and I think everyone is okay with him being on the roster. But if he continues to be unimpressive and not show the skills he was drafted to display, then I'm all for looking at another option to replace him.

Northman
08-27-2014, 10:32 AM
I guess I have a tendency to base my thoughts on a combination of what I've seen and what the player can bring. So far, I dont think we've seen ANY of what Hillman was advertised to bring. He's not that fast...he's not that shifty...he's not that good. On top of that, I dont think he's an every down back and never will be. His just doesnt have the decisiveness and elusiveness for his size and I really believe he was brought in to be a 3rd down guy that can get a few carries and some receptions. I think that is compounded by the fact they drafted Ball last year.

That all being said...while they havent had the time to completely show it...I think CJ and Thompson have the size to get regular carries as well as the ability to catch the ball and sit in there and block. It may be a limited sample size, but we've had a pretty good look at what Hillman brings to the table...and it isnt much. Yes...there is the chance he can improve and I think everyone is okay with him being on the roster. But if he continues to be unimpressive and not show the skills he was drafted to display, then I'm all for looking at another option to replace him.

Cant really argue with any of that, im pulling for Thompson myself.

TXBRONC
08-27-2014, 10:34 AM

He doesn't. Denver will keep four running backs and one will be on the practice squad I see Bibbs being that guy.

TXBRONC
08-27-2014, 10:36 AM
By the way, I would like to mention about something. We knew that Broncos let Knowshon Moreno go... however, it looks like Elway has dumped all McDaniel’s' players except Demaryius Thomas.

Bruton was also a McDaniels pick.

Ravage!!!
08-27-2014, 10:43 AM
No huge shockers there. I guess Justice is a mild surprise, but certainly no stunner. Glad to see Jordan Sullen (who I went to college with) make it past the first round of cuts.

whom

pnbronco
08-27-2014, 10:55 AM
Without camp I've really lost track of things.

So we've had the first round, when the does the next happen? Also does the final cuts have to happen by Sat?

I will say without camp I won't be so depressed this year. I always got developed a real soft spot for one or more of the players getting cut and then felt bad all weekend.
Dog I'm still bummed over Adams.. but I could get really sad if they cut Mitch Unrein...that would suck. Dang it I just remembered that this is the part of the business I really, really hate!!!! (no quilts to anyone so no clue who stays or goes....:lol:)

Will you just add to this thread or start a new one?

Joel
08-27-2014, 02:08 PM

People say, "How can you be sure CJ or Thompson's better than Hillman when they haven't played?!" but that cuts both ways. Hillman's a known quantity because we HAVE seen him play plenty; they're still unknowns. Playing him can't reveal more of him OR them, but playing them will quickly show whether they can consistently do more than we've seen from him.

Hillman knows the offense, had ran respectably and reliably this preseason and is adequate depth if over his fumblitis; we should keep him. He's still nothing to write home about him, no threat to dominate, change nor even seal games, so if we're looking for a RB like that it's time to look elsewhere. The lottery's always a long shot, but buying two tickets still always doubles those long odds, and you've still gotta be in it to win it. Think of it this way: If we put in Anderson or Thompson instead of Hillman and they were terrible, how big a downgrade would that really be?