PDA

View Full Version : Thermal Paste

Dapper Dan
08-24-2014, 04:09 AM
I have a Toshiba Qosmio, which is notorious for overheating. One common fix is taking it apart and replacing the thermal paste. Has anyone does this before? I can disassemble and reassemble, but other than that I'm lost. I disassembled, thinking I might find clogs of dust, but I didn't.

Valar Morghulis
08-24-2014, 04:12 AM
I have a Toshiba Qosmio, which is notorious for overheating. One common fix is taking it apart and replacing the thermal paste. Has anyone does this before? I can disassemble and reassemble, but other than that I'm lost. I disassembled, thinking I might find clogs of dust, but I didn't.

thermal paste sounds like a euphemism....

BroncoJoe
08-24-2014, 08:43 AM
I use this site when I have to work on stuff I'm not too familiar with:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Clean-Laptop-Fan-and-Apply-Thermal-Paste-on/

Dapper Dan
08-24-2014, 10:48 PM
Thanks, Joe. I used the link for the pasting instructions. Everything seems fine.

Next, I'm trying to undervolt my laptop to help with overheating. I downloaded Extreme Tuning Utility straight from Intel's website. When I got to open it, my laptop crashes. I'm not sure what the issue is.

aberdien
08-24-2014, 10:54 PM
I typically fix my computer troubles by buying a new computer.

Dapper Dan
08-24-2014, 10:59 PM
I typically fix my computer troubles by buying a new computer.

I haven't had this one long enough to give up on it. And I paid too much. It needs to last a while.

It's not really anything going bad. Qosmios are bad for getting hot. I'm just trying to find ways to keep it cool. It don't get warm when I'm just browsing, but it gets pretty hot when I'm multitasking and hooking it up to my tv. It gets really hot when I play games. I'd trade it to a desktop with similar specs if someone was interested.