PDA

View Full Version : Wes Welker has a concussion

CrazyHorse
08-23-2014, 11:40 PM
DENVER -- Broncos wide receiver Wes Welker, who missed three games last season after sustaining two concussions, has been diagnosed with another one.

Broncos coach John Fox said Welker has a concussion after the team's 18-17 loss Saturday night to the Texans. Welker left the game following a hit to the helmet from Texans safety D.J. Swearinger.

Welker, who caught 73 passes for 10 touchdowns and 778 yards in 2013, got up and walked next to a member of the Broncos training staff, off the field and straight into the locker room after the hit.

http://abc7news.com/sports/wes-welker-has-another-concussion/278499/

Well that sucks.

DenBronx
08-23-2014, 11:42 PM
He's starting to get too many of these.

CrazyHorse
08-23-2014, 11:46 PM
Are concussions something that typically become recurring. I mean if you get one is it more likely that you'll have another in the future?

DenBronx
08-23-2014, 11:53 PM
Are concussions something that typically become recurring. I mean if you get one is it more likely that you'll have another in the future?

I don't know if that's medically proven or not but seems to be the case once you start getting them or the older you get. I remember QB Trent Green getting them the older he got then had to retire.

If that wasn't the case then why have these football players wear larger helmets if they aren't susceptible to getting them easier the next time?

Tangerine
08-23-2014, 11:57 PM
Glad Latimer has looked good, looks like we're going to need him.....

silkamilkamonico
08-24-2014, 12:11 AM

No. Unfortunately he has had a couple major ones, and brain injuries aren't something to F around with.

I really wish he would retire immediately for his own long term health. My wife works with people that have suffered major concussions and the brain sometimes just doesn't reset itself and leads down different paths that people feel later in life. It may not be pretty.

tubby
08-24-2014, 12:27 AM
Welp this may be it. Question is do we cut him, put him on IR, or will he retire? And how much do we owe him?

Simple Jaded
08-24-2014, 12:30 AM
Welp this may be it. Question is do we cut him, put him on IR, or will he retire? And how much do we owe him?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/cap/

According to this his cap number is the same wether he's on the roster or not.

If it's not serious I'd hope they put him on PUP in case he's needed later in the season.

tubby
08-24-2014, 12:38 AM

If it's not serious I'd hope they put him on PUP in case he's needed later in the season.
Maybe save the $3m roster bonus by releasing him?

Simple Jaded
08-24-2014, 01:13 AM
Maybe save the $3m roster bonus by releasing him?

That'd be nice, come in handy when they try to resign the Thomases. But I think the dead money and cap figure are the same, which leads me to believe the bonus is guaranteed.

Joel
08-24-2014, 01:59 AM
This sucks all the way around, all because a punk 2 years out of college had to "swagger" in a PRESEASON game (while trailing by a TD, which immediately became TWO TDs.) So what's the going rate for ending a Pro Bowler and potential HoFers career, Mr. Commissioner?

Valar Morghulis
08-24-2014, 04:15 AM
was Wes wearing that oversized helmet last night or not?

Joel
08-24-2014, 05:56 AM
was Wes wearing that oversized helmet last night or not?
According to the ESPN article on his latest concussion, yes; I assume he'll be wearing that the rest of his career—assuming he still has one.

Welker, who caught 73 passes for 10 touchdowns and 778 yards in 2013, suffered two concussions last season and missed the Broncos' final three games of the regular season.He returned for the Broncos' three playoff games, wearing a helmet with extra padding. Welker has continued to wear the helmet this season, as well.
Swearinger's clearly as deeply concerned about it as LT was about ending Theismanns career:

Swearinger was assessed a personal foul for a blow to the head and later said he was surprised to see a flag thrown on the play."The NFL is the NFL," he said. "They want it how they want it. I gotta play ball how I'm gonna play ball." http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11400138/wes-welker-denver-broncos-leaves-preseason-game-taking-hit-helmet
Maybe a six figure fine will help him grasp how to play ball how they want it; thanks to the rookie cap, he's not making enough to shrug that off just yet.

Valar Morghulis
08-24-2014, 06:25 AM
Just watched the game.

He was definitely wearing it - he looked like a bobble head.

Joel
08-24-2014, 07:02 AM
Probably felt like one by halftime.

Valar Morghulis
08-24-2014, 07:18 AM
Probably felt like one by halftime.

Not as much as prater.

Joel
08-24-2014, 07:30 AM
Not as much as prater.
Well, that's another thread, but (FWIW) I think it asinine a sport who's biggest sponsor is beer translated a 2011 DUI into a career-long 24/7 alcohol ban. I'd really like to know (and verify) the whole story there, even though it's none of my business (which is kinda my point.) I mean, players don't get suspensions for ILLEGAL recreational drugs until/unless they test positive TWICE, so no one outside the team even KNOWS about it—but the NFL escalated straight to the third strike the FIRST time Prater did something LEGAL? Or are they counting the DUI as Stage 1?

TXBRONC
08-24-2014, 07:42 AM
Just watched the game.

He was definitely wearing it - he looked like a bobble head.

That was one of the first things I looked for and it looked smaller than the one he used last year.

Northman
08-24-2014, 07:51 AM
This is why i thought we should of let him go after last season. Dude is done.

Pudge
08-24-2014, 08:20 AM
Welp, it's obviously time to put him down. I'll do it myself pa.

Tned
08-24-2014, 08:31 AM

PUP isn't an option. Only players that are injured and are unable to practice when training camp starts can be put on the PUP. Once they've practiced/played, then they can't be put on the PUP.

Assuming it's a long term injury, the only option is IR. The team is allowed to designate one IR player for return, which is after six weeks or so.

Hopefully, this injury isn't bad enough that they have to consider IR.

BORDERLINE
08-24-2014, 08:50 AM
Man this sucks. He is a big part of our offense those little chunks of yards he picks up are vital. All I can think is Steve young when it comes to concussions. There's a point in time where you just have to hang it up.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-24-2014, 10:05 AM
Wes Welker accepts the violence, understands the danger. The Broncos receiver never considered retiring after suffering two concussions last season, but the fragility of the sport found him again Saturday night.

Welker, 33, left in the second quarter after suffering a concussion by taking a hit to the head from Houston Texans defensive back D.J. Swearinger. Concern grew from the moment Swearinger knocked Welker to the turf, a hit that drew a 15-yard penalty for unnecessary roughness. Welker rose from the ground but walked toward the sideline as Broncos trainer Steve Antonopulos raced to his side.

"Of course I am worried about Wes," said linebacker Von Miller, who had his first game action during the preseason. "That's my guy. It's just part of the game."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_26395431/wes-welker-exits-early-possible-concussion

CrazyHorse
08-24-2014, 10:27 AM
I'm hoping they put him on the IR designated to return for his own safety. I'd rather have him come back later than risk aggravating it or getting another one. The guy can still play and is an integral part of our offense. He's likely gone after this season anyway.

tomjonesrocks
08-24-2014, 11:29 AM
Huge, huge loss.

Welker simply has to retire for his long-term health. I can't help but wonder if there would be scenarios that would allow the team options to "Percy Harvin" Welker in around playoff-time, but in the end the huge helmet and mouthguard didn't work--it's over.

silkamilkamonico
08-24-2014, 11:36 AM
It deos realy suck for the Broncos, but was anyone reALLY EXPECTING HIM TO STAY HEALTHY AND PLAY A GOOD CHUNK OF GAMES THIS YEAR? I wasn't.

CrazyHorse
08-24-2014, 11:45 AM
I still think he'll play this year. He'll definitely miss time though.

tomjonesrocks
08-24-2014, 11:55 AM
According to the ESPN article on his latest concussion, yes; I assume he'll be wearing that the rest of his career—assuming he still has one. Swearinger's clearly as deeply concerned about it as LT was about ending Theismanns career: Maybe a six figure fine will help him grasp how to play ball how they want it; thanks to the rookie cap, he's not making enough to shrug that off just yet.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly after reading his postgame quotes. Piece of shit.

OB
08-24-2014, 12:41 PM
So is swearinger going to be fined heavily I hope.? Maybe suspended a game or two (haha)

Maybe if they start suspending these guys instead of fining them chump change they will quit doing shit like this.

Joel
08-24-2014, 12:57 PM
So is swearinger going to be fined heavily I hope.? Maybe suspended a game or two (haha)

Maybe if they start suspending these guys instead of fining them chump change they will quit doing shit like this.
Well, the rookie cap means a big fine would actually sting Swearinger, but I agree suspensions are the only real solution. When a guy's making $4-5 million/year plus incentives, on top of a $10 million signing bonus, hitting him for $150,000 is like a speeding ticket: It's the cost of doing business, and he does it so well he makes that much by halftime every week. He's not going to stop doing what earns him those huge salaries just because of a speeding ticket.

Suspensions though; that's a whoooole other thing. Neither players nor teams can shrug those off like fines, because all the things that make those fines worthwhile are off the table while the player's off the field for multiple games, and he's still tying up a roster spot and MAJOR cap space. At that point, teams must start weighing pros and cons even (especially) if players don't.

chazoe60
08-24-2014, 01:01 PM
In all honesty Swearinger's hit didn't look all that dirty to me. I know Swearinger is a ******* ******* and he proved it on more than one occasion this last week but that hit didn't look terrible to me. I'm glad Manning gave him an earful because the guy is a fist class dick but the hit itself was not much.

On a side note Swearinger is an average player at best. He made a couple plays but got eviscerated by the master for the most part. If that were a regular season game we would have won 34-17 easily.

tomjonesrocks
08-24-2014, 04:17 PM
BTW, where's WTE gloating about all this?

Assumed he'd be here instantaneously laughing this up. Did his dumb ass finally get (rightfully) banned from Broncos Talk? If so, I'll enjoy the game day threads more this season.

weazel
08-24-2014, 04:35 PM
Welker having a concussion isn't a matter of if, it's when.

dogfish
08-24-2014, 04:48 PM
this makes the sanders signing that much bigger. . . and the latimer pick look that much better in hindsight. . . JFE knows what he's doing. . .

hope welker can get out with some quality of life left. . .

Valar Morghulis
08-24-2014, 04:51 PM
this makes the sanders signing that much bigger. . . and the latimer pick look that much better in hindsight. . . JFE knows what he's doing. . .

hope welker can get out with some quality of life left. . .

Everything you just said.

Runamok
08-24-2014, 06:15 PM

I believe that is true.

Runamok
08-24-2014, 06:18 PM
No. Unfortunately he has had a couple major ones, and brain injuries aren't something to F around with.

I really wish he would retire immediately for his own long term health. My wife works with people that have suffered major concussions and the brain sometimes just doesn't reset itself and leads down different paths that people feel later in life. It may not be pretty.

Welker has taken a real beating over the course of his career. going over the middle was his primary route for years. After last year's injuries, I think he could be finished. Or should be for his safety sake.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-24-2014, 07:00 PM
Retweeted by Mike Klis
Troy Renck @TroyRenck · 1h

#Broncos hopeful that Wes Welker will be available for season opener. Will go through protocol, but there are some early positive signs

Denver Native (Carol)
08-24-2014, 07:35 PM
HOUSTON -- Texans coach Bill O'Brien backed his safety a day after D.J. Swearinger drew the ire of Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning for a hit that concussed receiver Wes Welker.

"D.J. was not trying to do any harm," O'Brien said. "He was trying to make a play, make a tackle. The call was correct. What you continually have to do is show the guys on tape what a proper tackle is. It's not leading with the head. It's hitting with your shoulder and hitting basically between the shoulders and the waist and not above the neck area. But last night's play was a tough one to say, 'You were really at fault there.'"

Swearinger hit Welker late in the second quarter of the Texans' 18-17 preseason win against the Broncos. The safety's shoulder collided with the receiver's head as Welker lowered it to make the catch. Welker left the game shortly thereafter and was later found to have a concussion.

rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11403096/bill-obrien-backs-houston-texans-dj-swearinger-hit-denver-broncos-wes-welker

Northman
08-25-2014, 05:19 AM
But last night's play was a tough one to say, 'You were really at fault there.'"

Yep, basically what i was talking about yesterday. I think Spike was on to something something though about maybe having challenges for plays like that.

BroncoNut
08-25-2014, 08:35 AM
he's gonna get mushhead if he keeps it up. not his fault of course, just probably time to call it quits.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-25-2014, 08:49 AM
rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11403096/bill-obrien-backs-houston-texans-dj-swearinger-hit-denver-broncos-wes-welker

That was a "forearm shiver". It sure looked like he knew what he was doing. Maybe it was a bang bang play, but it sure looked bad on tv.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-25-2014, 10:09 AM
Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 13h

I believe Wes Welker will play in season opener vs. Indy. It's 2 weeks away. His "concussion helmet" helped absorb D.J. Swearinger blow.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-25-2014, 10:37 AM
New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady said Monday morning it was hard to see former teammate and good friend Wes Welker sustain his third concussion in less than a year on Saturday and that he tries to do what he can to protect his own receivers.

"It's tough to see that happen and to a guy like Wes [Welker] who is one of my best friends," Brady said in his weekly interview on Boston sports radio station WEEI. "He is as tough as they come so you hate to see him go through those things, but to see it happen for the third time in a little less than a year is a tough thing.

"It's a tough thing for any player to deal with."

rest - http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/11405449/tom-brady-new-england-patriots-says-tough-see-wes-welker-concussed-again

video on link - Coach Fox & Manning talking about Wes

OB
08-25-2014, 03:27 PM
http://fansided.com/2014/08/25/denver-broncos-rumors-wes-welker-considering-retirement-concussion/

Given that, there was whispers of potential retirement talk however Denver Broncos head coach John Fox says talk of hanging up the cleats has not been discussed.

Joel
08-25-2014, 05:13 PM
Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 13h

I believe Wes Welker will play in season opener vs. Indy. It's 2 weeks away. His "concussion helmet" helped absorb D.J. Swearinger blow.
It didn't help nearly ENOUGH, else there'd be no concussion. "Mild concussion" is pretty much a contradiction in terms; the injury's the injury, whatever the helmet did/n't (and will/not) absorb.

MOtorboat
08-25-2014, 05:43 PM
It didn't help nearly ENOUGH, else there'd be no concussion. "Mild concussion" is pretty much a contradiction in terms; the injury's the injury, whatever the helmet did/n't (and will/not) absorb.

I think Davii just testified to concussions being different. I can't speak from experience, although I suspect I may have had one or two growing up.

Joel
08-25-2014, 05:50 PM
I think Davii just testified to concussions being different. I can't speak from experience, although I suspect I may have had one or two growing up.
Some are MORE serious than others, but NONE are mild. We're talking about a brain injury, after all. All I can say is thank heaven for the bobblehead helmet; it's still a serious injury, however much force the helmet absorbed or didn't.

No comment on that last clause.... :tongue:

Denver Native (Carol)
08-26-2014, 01:43 PM
Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 3h

Decent chance Wes Welker will play in opener. There's also concern his career is on borrowed time:http://dpo.st/1vhrxy2 via @denverpost

Joel
08-26-2014, 02:01 PM
Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 3h Decent chance Wes Welker will play in opener. There's also concern his career is on borrowed time:http://dpo.st/1vhrxy2 via @denverpost
This is his last year under contract though, and it's only natural for him to think that if he can't win a SB in 3 tries on 2 record-shattering offenses, he probably never will. Realistically, all that was already on the table; last years SB humiliation in between 3 concussions in <1 year just punctuates it.

Just my humble hunch, but I'm guessing Welker plays this year as long as he can, then retires a champion or broken-hearted yet again, but RETIRES either way.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-27-2014, 05:36 PM
Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 2h

Five years ago NFL would have referred to Welker's injury as "mild" concussion. Broncos and league now say theres no such thing

Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 2h

Wes Welker has not been cleared to play from concussion but progress has been encouraging.

Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 2h

Wes Welker wont play Thursday but hes been exercising and is traveling with team to Dallas.

Joel
08-27-2014, 06:26 PM
Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 2h

Five years ago NFL would have referred to Welker's injury as "mild" concussion. Broncos and league now say theres no such thing.
Did they clear that with BF posters? :tongue:

Dzone
08-27-2014, 07:47 PM

Denver Native (Carol)
08-29-2014, 09:42 AM
Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 1h

Just heard from John Lynch on the @FanMorningShow. Said he spoke to Wes Welker yesterday. Wes called it a "minor ding", nothing more.

Northman
09-02-2014, 05:33 PM
http://dailysnark.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Screen-Shot-2014-09-01-at-1.14.01-PM-500x255.png