PDA

View Full Version : Mannings taunt penalty.

ShaneFalco
08-23-2014, 09:32 PM
Why cant we post vines on this site?

https://vine.co/v/MLQIDuiAKr6

ShaneFalco
08-23-2014, 10:19 PM
http://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/assets/4926278/peyton_taunting_medium.gif

DenBronx
08-23-2014, 10:30 PM
http://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/assets/4926278/peyton_taunting_medium.gif

Love it!

Simple Jaded
08-23-2014, 11:15 PM
Swearinger is a piece of shit.

Dapper Dan
08-23-2014, 11:26 PM

Another Steve Spurrier guy. What do you expect?

(Sorry, Skinny. :lol:)

silkamilkamonico
08-23-2014, 11:33 PM
I'd take swearinger on my team every day and twice on sunday.

Tebowtime2011
08-23-2014, 11:33 PM
I think Wes welker's career is over. I have extreme empathy right now. In a ******* pre season game, I hate swearinger he is the most hated safety in the league.

Tebowtime2011
08-23-2014, 11:37 PM
I'd take swearinger on my team every day and twice on sunday. If I am not mistaken I believe he is actually a below average safety. I believe I read that on PFF. So I'll just stick with tj ward.

underrated29
08-24-2014, 12:13 AM
I wanted the broncos to draft swearinger so badly last year.

Simple Jaded
08-24-2014, 12:14 AM
I'd take swearinger on my team every day and twice on sunday.

I don't care who he plays for, even Denver, wouldn't be the first time I didn't like a player for the Broncos. Ya can't build a team of 53 Tim Tebow's. I'm just saying he's a piece of shit.

Simple Jaded
08-24-2014, 12:17 AM
If I am not mistaken I believe he is actually a below average safety. I believe I read that on PFF. So I'll just stick with tj ward.

Ward's hit on Yo Soy Fiesta's knee was another shining moment in Piece of Shit history.

Joel
08-24-2014, 02:46 AM
It's a bit embarrassing my hometown CBS affiliated story on Mannings taunt completely omits any mention of Swearinger concussing Welker with a cheap shot immediately before the TD, instead focusing on Swearingers claim the fights in this weeks practice started because he picked off Manning. He may have ended a HoFers career with a dirty hit; no way Swearinger's the VICTIM here. Some guys just don't know the difference between "mean" or "nasty" and DIRTY; what's truly sad is it seems like many coaches don't either, so many players never get the CHANCE to learn.
http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/08/23/source-peyton-manning-tells-dj-swearinger-expletive-you-after-touchdown/

Valar Morghulis
08-24-2014, 04:10 AM
I love the fact PFM was so pumped up he went over to the piece of shit. Everyone on the roster seemed to high five him afterwards on the sideline I also like he justified it by saying "just after we scored with 5 sec left in the half is a good time to give away a penalty" - even when taunting he is tactically minded.

Gutted for Wes - i really hope he is OK, but he really needs to put his health first.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-24-2014, 10:15 AM
Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 11h

DJ Swearinger on what Peyton Manning said to him in end zone: "He said 'F me.'"

BroncoWave
08-24-2014, 10:23 AM
Awesome! I didn't think it was possible, but I like Manning even more now.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-24-2014, 10:29 AM
DENVER – Peyton Manning wasn't about to let what he perceived to be a dirty hit by Houston Texans safety D.J. Swearinger go unnoticed.

The Broncos quarterback ran to the end zone as soon as Emmanuel Sanders caught 29-yard touchdown in the final seconds of the first half Saturday night to go facemask-to-facemask with Swearinger, who one play prior had delivered a hit that knocked receiver Wes Welker from the game.

The two players exchanged some unprintable curse words, but Manning was clearly the aggressor.

"I'm glad that I made a Hall of Famer mad, you know?" Swearinger told USA TODAY Sports.

rest - http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/broncos/2014/08/23/peyton-manning-taunting-denver-broncos-preseason/14516325/

tomjonesrocks
08-24-2014, 11:06 AM
rest - http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/broncos/2014/08/23/peyton-manning-taunting-denver-broncos-preseason/14516325/

Swearinger is a total *****. You'd think his postgame comments would be more along the lines of "hate to see an injury like that and hope Welker will be OK", but nope. Just "it's a part of the game", "the results are the results", and smug talk. What goes around comes around though--he's going to get served in this league eventually with that BS.

GEM
08-24-2014, 11:17 AM

I'm glad I made an illegal hit that concussed a player, that guy should get a suspension for that... If the NFL is really serious about trying to make the game safer in regards to concussions. There should be no toleration for that.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-24-2014, 11:28 AM
Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 1h

Saw another angle of Welker hit. That concussion came when his head hit the ground. The hit was mostly shoulder.

Northman
08-24-2014, 11:32 AM
I'm glad I made an illegal hit that concussed a player, that guy should get a suspension for that..

Except thats not what he said.

silkamilkamonico
08-24-2014, 11:39 AM
Swearinger is a really good yoing safety with attitude.He isn't some run of the mill fill in guy.

Love to have him on this team.

And awesome for what Manning did as well.

It's all part of the game.

Northman
08-24-2014, 11:42 AM
Swearinger is a really good yoing safety with attitude.He isn't some run of the mill fill in guy.

Exactly.

GEM
08-24-2014, 11:51 AM
Except thats not what he said.

Of course he didn't. Why was Manning mad? Because he laid a nice, legal hit? Manning doesn't behave like that. The fact that he did, tells me exactly what I need to know about the hit and the player. I didn't catch the headbutt at the game. All we heard was taunting #18, everyone around us was like what? Then saw the replay and all of us said oh shit, he done pissed Manning off. :lol:

Joel
08-24-2014, 11:59 AM
I'm glad I made an illegal hit that concussed a player, that guy should get a suspension for that... If the NFL is really serious about trying to make the game safer in regards to concussions. There should be no toleration for that.
It boils down to "I'm glad that I made a Hall of Famer mad by potentially ending ANOTHER Hall of Famers career with a dirty hit, you know?" But he thinks it's OK because, well, y'know, he TOTALLY slammed into the side of twice-concussed Welkers SKULL at a dead run, but using his arm makes that a completely legal concussion (even though it doesn't)

THIS is what I mean when I say banning means rather than ends just "means" dirty players find new legal ways to intentionally inflict the same dirty injuries they always have. It's BEYOND stupid to walk off 15 yds, fine someone $15,000 and maybe suspend them a few games for an accidental unavoidable finger across the crown that a receiver or QB doesn't even feel, yet let Harrison kneecap Decker and end his season with impunity, while justifying it on the grounds "the RULES made me do it!"

Yeah, you can't legally concuss people on purpose anymore, so you legally break their knees or shred their ACLs on purpose: Safety has been served!

Keep the mean, ban the dirt; I'd give a great deal for the NFL to do that, but I'm not even sure the League Office knows what it means.... :(

Denver Native (Carol)
08-24-2014, 12:00 PM
DENVER -- There were eight words that no one expected to hear during Saturday's preseason game between the Broncos and Texans:

"Unsportsmanlike conduct, offense, No. 18, with a taunt."

If heard in a vacuum, referee Craig Wrolstad's announcement would have made as little sense as a punt on first down. But the context was everything -- of the night, of the week, and of the practices from the start of organized team activities to this point.

The 2014 Broncos are still in a gestational state of their evolution, but one trait is already evident: a jagged edge. Although the team prides itself on its precision, its emotions can run hot, evidenced in practices through training camp.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Mannings-reaction-reveals-a-fiery-team-personality/88ded59c-a5c8-4738-86c4-ac7a79020b92

Joel
08-24-2014, 12:10 PM

If he's so good, why does he need "attitude" and cheap shots to make plays? Whether he's a HoFer, scrub or anything in between, what does that have to do with the plays legality? Except, maybe, that if he were as good as he says, he could make plays without cheap shots. That play where he concussed Welker: It was a conversion on 3rd and long, no? Really made a Hell of a play there, DJ; instead of getting off the field on 3rd down, you gave up the conversion, tacked on 15 more AND concussed a MUCH better player.

From what I've seen, whether all that's just part of the game, or should be, depends on whom one asks and where one went to school. I've never known a coach like that, but know at least one guy whose MIDDLE SCHOOL coaches told him deliberately breaking bones was a wholly acceptable—DESIRABLE—way to sideline the other teams key players. Now, if there are people coaching kids to break a TEN-YEAR-OLDs bones or rupture his organs for a measly middle school game, how far do you think they'd go in the NFL? Hint: Ask Sean Payton.

Some of these guys, I just want to come right out and ask, "Do you HAVE kids? Who compete in anything with more contact than bowling?"

silkamilkamonico
08-24-2014, 12:17 PM
If he's so good, why does he need "attitude" and cheap shots to make plays? Whether he's a HoFer, scrub or anything in between, what does that have to do with the plays legality? Except, maybe, that if he were as good as he says, he could make plays without cheap shots. That play where he concussed Welker: It was a conversion on 3rd and long, no? Really made a Hell of a play there, DJ; instead of getting off the field on 3rd down, you gave up the conversion, tacked on 15 more AND concussed a MUCH better player.

From what I've seen, whether all that's just part of the game, or should be, depends on whom one asks and where one went to school. I've never known a coach like that, but know at least one guy whose MIDDLE SCHOOL coaches told him deliberately breaking bones was a wholly acceptable—DESIRABLE—way to sideline the other teams key players. Now, if there are people coaching kids to break a TEN-YEAR-OLDs bones or rupture his organs for a measly middle school game, how far do you think they'd go in the NFL? Hint: Ask Sean Payton.

Are you serious? 99% of all elite athletes have attitude. You must not follow sports very much.

And name me one elite NFL defensive player that has never been flagged for an illegal hit.

LMAO

Joel
08-24-2014, 12:39 PM
Are you serious? 99% of all elite athletes have attitude. You must not follow sports very much.

And name me one elite NFL defensive player that has never been flagged for an illegal hit.

LMAO
I follow football, have for 30+ years and couldn't care less about any other sport; fortunately, football is the sport we're discussing.

The great ones let their play speak for itself, because they can, and know it. I can't recall ever seeing Champ make a hit like that: He never "needed" to play like that.

It's one thing to play with swagger and quite another to run around looking for chances to sucker punch people while pretending that ENTITLES anyone to swagger.

silkamilkamonico
08-24-2014, 12:43 PM
I follow football, have for 30+ years and couldn't care less about any other sport; fortunately, football is the sport we're discussing.

The great ones let their play speak for itself, because they can, and know it. I can't recall ever seeing Champ make a hit like that: He never "needed" to play like that.

It's one thing to play with swagger and quite another to run around looking for chances to sucker punch people while pretending that ENTITLES anyone to swagger.

That's unfortunate. I thought we had a great one in Von Miller. He must be just as bad for all his illegal hits on QB's knees, multiple fines, and dances when he does.

Joel
08-24-2014, 01:04 PM
That's unfortunate. I thought we had a great one in Von Miller. He must be just as bad for all his illegal hits on QB's knees, multiple fines, and dances when he does.

“I don’t think I’ll change anything,” Miller told the Denver Post. “When you’re playing fast, stuff like that happens. None of my (fined) hits were intentional. You try to go out there and play with a fanatical effort and a relentless pursuit to the ball, sometimes things just happen.”
This makes all the difference in the world to me: It's THE difference. The difference between deliberately inflicting pain and deliberately inflicting injury. The difference between mean and dirty. The difference between Von Miller and Sean Payton, or James Harrison or, it increasingly appears, DJ Swearinger.

There's all the difference in the world between a spanking and a beating; sadly, many people fail to grasp that, so their spankings are invariably indistinguishable from beatings.

TXBRONC
08-24-2014, 01:21 PM
This maybe the only time we ever see Manning with a personal foul like this. It makes me appreciate Manning all the more.

Joel
08-24-2014, 01:25 PM
"I get a lot of people mad at me. That's how I've been my whole life," Swearinger said.
The douchebags historic battlecry. My gramma used to say: Meet one :censored:, it's just an :censored:; meet two, just a bad day—if EVERYONE you meet's an :censored:, maybe THEY'RE not the problem.... ;)

TXBRONC
08-24-2014, 01:28 PM
Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 1h

Saw another angle of Welker hit. That concussion came when his head hit the ground. The hit was mostly shoulder.

That I already knew but there was a replay angle where you cab see Welker's hitting the turf.

Lombardi is correct Swearinger hit Welker with his shoulder in the head which is still illegal.

spikerman
08-24-2014, 01:33 PM
Swearinger hit Welker with his shoulder in the head which still illegal.

This.

Joel
08-24-2014, 02:05 PM
This.
Maybe you should make the drive to Houston, because Swearinger made clear he thinks putting a shoulder into someones head makes concussions legal.

spikerman
08-24-2014, 02:09 PM
Maybe you should make the drive to Houston, because Swearinger made clear he thinks putting a shoulder into someones head makes concussions legal.

I saw immediately after the play where Swearinger was pointing at his shoulder. What people don't understand (and TX correctly pointed out) is that it doesn't matter what part of the body he hit him with, contact to the head and neck area of a defenseless player is a foul. I strongly suspect that the last toenail I clipped had a higher IQ than Swearinger, though.

Valar Morghulis
08-24-2014, 02:18 PM
I saw immediately after the play where Swearinger was pointing at his shoulder. What people don't understand (and TX correctly pointed out) is that it doesn't matter what part of the body he hit him with, contact to the head and neck area of a defenseless player is a foul. I strongly suspect that the last toenail I clipped had a higher IQ than Swearinger, though.
]Yeah i hate to admit because of what i read about this week, his reaction afterwards and how much i like Wes - BUT, i dont think it was a dirty tackle, any more than Wes on Talib in the play offs.

It was two guys at speed, moving fast and playing hard - i think it only seems worse because of Wes's concussion history and how big a douche rocket Swearinger it.

Thats just my view of things

edited to add, that does not mean it was not a foul, i just dont think it was malicious and preplanned

spikerman
08-24-2014, 02:31 PM
]Yeah i hate to admit because of what i read about this week, his reaction afterwards and how much i like Wes - BUT, i dont think it was a dirty tackle, any more than Wes on Talib in the play offs.

It was two guys at speed, moving fast and playing hard - i think it only seems worse because of Wes's concussion history and how big a douche rocket Swearinger it.

Thats just my view of things

edited to add, that does not mean it was not a foul, i just dont think it was malicious and preplanned
Yep, I totally get it. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but unfortunately for Swearinger, by rule, it doesn't matter.

MOtorboat
08-24-2014, 02:38 PM
Yep, I totally get it. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but unfortunately for Swearinger, by rule, it doesn't matter.

He was head hunting on the next play on a touchdown. So I'm going with intentional. Plus it heeds my irrational protectiveness of my own team.

Simple Jaded
08-24-2014, 02:47 PM
Swearinger had the balls to blame the league/officials for destroying Heller's career. That's a piece of shit.

And btw, Swearinger is Bernard Pollard, who is on his umpteenth team, "really, really good players" don't get bounced around the league like Pollard, that's what we call a "Journeyman".

OrangeHoof
08-24-2014, 02:52 PM
Manning's reaction was the realization that his season just got a lot harder without his best hands receiver.

His day probably got worse now that he knows he has a second "drunken idiot kicker" on his hands.

The man wants to match his brother for Super Bowl rings in the worst way and he is seeing stuff like this happening to his goals.

Northman
08-24-2014, 03:28 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Mannings-reaction-reveals-a-fiery-team-personality/88ded59c-a5c8-4738-86c4-ac7a79020b92

Sure wish we had that last year in the SB.

silkamilkamonico
08-24-2014, 03:31 PM
The only "difference" to you is miller plays for denver and swearinger doesnt.

Northman
08-24-2014, 03:32 PM
But DJ's hit wasnt dirty nor cheap. Watch the play again. Both players are going to collide and Welker dips his head which then collides with DJ's shoulder. It was a legal hit, just unfortunate that Welker dipped right into his shoulder.

ShaneFalco
08-24-2014, 03:32 PM
Miller isnt dirty at all. How you are trying to say that..... i dont understand.

silkamilkamonico
08-24-2014, 04:55 PM
Neither was Swearingers. He's trying to make a play to apply a solid hit. He even leads with his shoulder. Because he hit our guy and possibly ended his career people are overreacting.

Swearingers hit wasnt anything different than a dozen types of hits applied every sunday through every football game.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-24-2014, 05:05 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- It's rare for a guy who is on the doorstep of his 17th NFL season, who has done as much as Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning has done in what will be a Hall of Fame career, to add something new to the résumé.

But that's what Manning did Saturday night. After running 30-plus yards from where he threw a 29-yard touchdown pass to Emmanuel Sanders just before halftime to express his displeasure to Houston Texans safety D.J. Swearinger for a hit Swearinger put on wide receiver Wes Welker the play before, Manning was flagged for taunting.

The hit knocked Welker out of the game with the wide receiver's third concussion since Nov. 17. Welker will continue to be evaluated in the days to come.

rest, plus a breakdown of Peyton's penalties
http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/8237/for-peyton-manning-penalty-flags-are-rare

Northman
08-24-2014, 05:12 PM
That I already knew but there was a replay angle where you cab see Welker's hitting the turf.

Lombardi is correct Swearinger hit Welker with his shoulder in the head which is still illegal.

But its really not that simple because had Welker not dipped his head he would of been hit in the chest area. Thats why the rule itself is flawed.

spikerman
08-24-2014, 05:23 PM
But its really not that simple because had Welker not dipped his head he would of been hit in the chest area. Thats why the rule itself is flawed.

It's up to the defender to see what he's hitting. He needs to go even lower to reduce the chance of an illegal hit. It's definitely tough on the hitter, but the reasoning is good.

I need to rewatch the play, but iirc he launched himself at Welker. If that's the case, under college rules he would have been ejected.

Northman
08-24-2014, 05:38 PM
It's up to the defender to see what he's hitting. He needs to go even lower to reduce the chance of an illegal hit. It's definitely tough on the hitter, but the reasoning is good.

I need to rewatch the play, but iirc he launched himself at Welker. If that's the case, under college rules he would have been ejected.

Like i said, its just not that simple. Because even as a hitter your natural reaction is slightly turn your own head to avoid getting a stinger. Of course, if DJ goes even lower and blows Welkers knee out than people would be complaining that was cheap. This wasnt a case where Welker was already on the ground and then DJ came in and plowed him. People just really dont understand that at full speed you cant just slam on the breaks when a receiver changes his position after the catch.

BroncoWave
08-24-2014, 05:44 PM
Like i said, its just not that simple. Because even as a hitter your natural reaction is slightly turn your own head to avoid getting a stinger. Of course, if DJ goes even lower and blows Welkers knee out than people would be complaining that was cheap. This wasnt a case where Welker was already on the ground and then DJ came in and plowed him. People just really dont understand that at full speed you cant just slam on the breaks when a receiver changes his position after the catch.

So your saying that the people who make the rules in football just don't understand how football works? Sorry, can't say I buy that one.

spikerman
08-24-2014, 05:45 PM
Yep, it's true that it's hard for the hitter, but that's the rule as written. As for blowing out the knee, I think most people associated with the league would rather see a knee injury than a head injury.

Northman
08-24-2014, 05:49 PM
So your saying that the people who make the rules in football just don't understand how football works? Sorry, can't say I buy that one.

I think the people in football understand it. but they have no other recourse than to force defenders to back off and let receivers catch the football. The NFL basically wants to cut it down to where if a defender is to defend a pass he will have to do it either by stepping in front of the pass/receiver or as the ball is coming to the receiver knock it away. I really dont think the NFL wants to allow a pass to be broken up by a defender simply being physical. They understand the speed is the problem but in order to cut down on the injuries they are simply calling everything under the sun a penalty when it involves hits like that.

spikerman
08-24-2014, 05:53 PM
I think the people in football understand it. but they have no other recourse than to force defenders to back off and let receivers catch the football. The NFL basically wants to cut it down to where if a defender is to defend a pass he will have to do it either by stepping in front of the pass/receiver or as the ball is coming to the receiver knock it away. I really dont think the NFL wants to allow a pass to be broken up by a defender simply being physical. They understand the speed is the problem but in order to cut down on the injuries they are simply calling everything under the sun a penalty when it involves hits like that.

Officials are taught that "when in doubt" it's a foul. That's pretty common for rules dealing with player safety.

BroncoWave
08-24-2014, 05:54 PM
For the record North, Houston's own head coach was quoted as saying after the game that he had no problem with any of the calls in the game, including the personal foul on Swearinger.

Northman
08-24-2014, 05:55 PM
Officials are taught that "when in doubt" it's a foul. That's pretty common for rules dealing with player safety.

Which i think should be reviewed in those particular plays. Im all for player safety, but im also in favoring of being fair to the defender when there is no way to avoid that kind of collision.

Northman
08-24-2014, 05:55 PM
For the record North, Houston's own head coach was quoted as saying after the game that he had no problem with any of the calls in the game, including the personal foul on Swearinger.

Thats fine. I see it differently and its just my opinion on the matter.

spikerman
08-24-2014, 05:57 PM
Which i think should be reviewed in those particular plays. Im all for player safety, but im also in favoring of being fair to the defender when there is no way to avoid that kind of collision.

They do review them in college, but add the rule is written, last night's foul would have stood. That was clearly a foul.

Northman
08-24-2014, 05:58 PM
They do review them in college, but add the rule is written, last night's foul would have stood. That was clearly a foul.

And it did, no one is arguing that it isnt written that way.

BroncoWave
08-24-2014, 05:58 PM

I think they only review in college if the hit results in an ejection, or am I wrong about that?

spikerman
08-24-2014, 06:04 PM
I think they only review in college if the hit results in an ejection, or am I wrong about that?

That is correct, the foul can still stand but the ejection overturned though.

spikerman
08-24-2014, 06:05 PM
I think they should make that a challengeable call.

Runamok
08-24-2014, 06:12 PM

Punk-ass dumb ass big-mouthed POS.

(Swearinger, not you)

OrangeHoof
08-24-2014, 09:03 PM
So your saying that the people who make the rules in football just don't understand how football works?

Yes, I am. If you can't hit high and you can't hit low and you're trying to hit a moving target while you run at full speed, some defenders are getting penalized for doing what they really have no choice but to do.

And I'd feel the same way if the uniforms were reversed.

Here's a call from last year's NFC Championship Game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq-qv0AtxpI

Donte Whitner gets flagged for a shoulder to shoulder hit on Luke Wilson that looks more violent than it was. But watch the other 49er clip out Wilson's knee and flip him sideways while his head dips. I contend there is no way in the physical world that Donte Whitner can avoid hitting Wilson just before the hit and could not have any way to adjust his angle after the other 49er had turned Wilson sideways.

Now, let's say Wilson had not been hit by the other 49er, Whitner probably then whiffs on a tackle, Wilson scores and everyone rags Whitner for not doing his job. Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.

While the helmet-to-helmet and blow-to-the-head penalties are well intentioned, I believe they are unfair to the defenders whose job is to fly around and make hits. It requires the defenders to either be psychic in knowing where a receivers head and shoulders are going to be split seconds before contact or that they have to stand around and wait for the receiver to make the catch before they can run after and tackle the guy.

Whoever wrote this rule does NOT understand how football works. They only understand the lawsuit money they are paying out and are trying desperately to minimize blows to the head that could lead to concussions. Well-meaning? Yes. Understand football? Clearly and obviously, no.

OrangeHoof
08-24-2014, 09:15 PM

Officials call what they think they saw not, sometimes what really happened. That's true of all sports and why there is so much "flopping" going on. They see a body falling in an unnatural way so, ergo, there must have been a foul somewhere. It's common in soccer. It's common in basketball. And it's becoming more common in football as receivers learn how to act like they've been fouled even when the defender made a clean play.

Dapper Dan
08-24-2014, 09:18 PM
I think the NFL doesn't want the defender to launch himself, whether it's with his head or shoulder.

Valar Morghulis
08-24-2014, 09:25 PM
I think the contact to head rule is valid and should be a penalty even if the players intentions were pure.

We just need to keep it in perspective that these things can and will happen.

So when it does happen - a foul is given at the time and the play reviewed by the league to determine next steps regarding fine or suspension.

In this case I would take no further action because I don't think he intended to hit his shoulder on the helmet.

Dapper Dan
08-24-2014, 09:31 PM
I think the contact to head rule is valid and should be a penalty even if the players intentions were pure.

We just need to keep it in perspective that these things can and will happen.

So when it does happen - a foul is given at the time and the play reviewed by the league to determine next steps regarding fine or suspension.

In this case I would take no further action because I don't think he intended to hit his shoulder on the helmet.

Most of the time, intention doesn't matter. There is no incidental facemasking anymore. No one jumps offsides on purpose.

spikerman
08-24-2014, 09:31 PM
Orangehoof, nowhere does it say that these guys can't be hit hard. It also doesn't say that you can't hit them low. The rules are very specific and if players can't adjust maybe they need to find another line of work.

BroncoWave
08-24-2014, 09:48 PM
Yes, I am. If you can't hit high and you can't hit low and you're trying to hit a moving target while you run at full speed, some defenders are getting penalized for doing what they really have no choice but to do.

And I'd feel the same way if the uniforms were reversed.

Here's a call from last year's NFC Championship Game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq-qv0AtxpI

Donte Whitner gets flagged for a shoulder to shoulder hit on Luke Wilson that looks more violent than it was. But watch the other 49er clip out Wilson's knee and flip him sideways while his head dips. I contend there is no way in the physical world that Donte Whitner can avoid hitting Wilson just before the hit and could not have any way to adjust his angle after the other 49er had turned Wilson sideways.

Now, let's say Wilson had not been hit by the other 49er, Whitner probably then whiffs on a tackle, Wilson scores and everyone rags Whitner for not doing his job. Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.

While the helmet-to-helmet and blow-to-the-head penalties are well intentioned, I believe they are unfair to the defenders whose job is to fly around and make hits. It requires the defenders to either be psychic in knowing where a receivers head and shoulders are going to be split seconds before contact or that they have to stand around and wait for the receiver to make the catch before they can run after and tackle the guy.

Whoever wrote this rule does NOT understand how football works. They only understand the lawsuit money they are paying out and are trying desperately to minimize blows to the head that could lead to concussions. Well-meaning? Yes. Understand football? Clearly and obviously, no.

So you know more about football than the competition committee who makes the rules. Got it.

BroncoWave
08-24-2014, 09:56 PM
For the record, these are a few of the current members of the NFL Competition Committee....the people who suggest and vote on rule changes. The people who OrangeHoof knows more than about football:

Jeff Fisher, Marvin Lewis, John Mara, Ozzie Newsome, Rick Smith, Mike Tomlin, Rich McKay

Yeah, that looks like a bunch of people who just don't understand football.

Dapper Dan
08-24-2014, 10:05 PM
Jeff Fisher, Marvin Lewis, John Mara, Ozzie Newsome, Rick Smith, Mike Tomlin, Rich McKay

I had been meaning to post about that. Many want to simply blame Goodell, but there's a whole committee who make/change rules. And some of them are defensive guys.

aberdien
08-24-2014, 11:47 PM
I like Peyton Manning.

tomjonesrocks
08-24-2014, 11:58 PM
Watching this real time must have been great. The ref call comes in before you see the video if what happened, so that first reaction to hearing "Taunting, number 18" must have been the biggest WHAT? ever watching the first time.

Also wish the camera angle would have been reversed. You see Sweardouche mouthing "f you" to Manning but not the other way around.

Davii
08-25-2014, 12:30 AM
I'm proud of Peyton for this. He is always so professional, it's good to see some fire. If he manages to get fired up like that throughout the season it's going to be a hell of a ride.

Timmy!
08-25-2014, 02:59 AM
Watching this real time must have been great. The ref call comes in before you see the video if what happened, so that first reaction to hearing "Taunting, number 18" must have been the biggest WHAT? ever watching the first time.

Also wish the camera angle would have been reversed. You see Sweardouche mouthing "f you" to Manning but not the other way around.

The crowd reaction was a collective WTF?!

Timmy!
08-25-2014, 03:07 AM
I'm proud of Peyton for this. He is always so professional, it's good to see some fire. If he manages to get fired up like that throughout the season it's going to be a hell of a ride.

Guy is just a leader. On the sidelines everybody was coming up to give him a high five or head rub afterz and it wasn't about the great pass to Sanders. The troops appreciate a true general.

OrangeHoof
08-25-2014, 03:10 AM
Orangehoof, nowhere does it say that these guys can't be hit hard. It also doesn't say that you can't hit them low. The rules are very specific and if players can't adjust maybe they need to find another line of work.

That's bs! You've never heard of the Brady rule? What about Hasselbeck in the Super Bowl against Pittsburgh for trying to tackle below the waist. Yes, there are penalties and fines for hitting low.

Swearinger caught hell last year for going low on Dustin Keller and ending his season.

You guys just wait to see how many fouls and fines TJ Ward rings up from hits that made a receiver go ouch but were clean plays. I guess we won't hear any arguments when those happen, right?

Northman
08-25-2014, 05:13 AM
That's bs! You've never heard of the Brady rule? What about Hasselbeck in the Super Bowl against Pittsburgh for trying to tackle below the waist. Yes, there are penalties and fines for hitting low.

Swearinger caught hell last year for going low on Dustin Keller and ending his season.

You guys just wait to see how many fouls and fines TJ Ward rings up from hits that made a receiver go ouch but were clean plays. I guess we won't hear any arguments when those happen, right?

Well, those wont matter because they will have been Broncos. Some of the very members who are complaining about this hit are the same ones who give out excuses when Bronco players do it. But, thats homerism for ya. Nothing you can do about it. lol

spikerman
08-25-2014, 05:49 AM

Different scenarios. Quarterbacks are protected against hits below the knee if they're in a throwing position because they're particularly vulnerable - similar to punters being protected after they kick the ball. Apples and oranges compared to a defenseless receiver. I'll admit that some players caught hell for going low last year while tackling receivers, but you'll notice that they didn't get flagged for it.

spikerman
08-25-2014, 05:51 AM
Well, those wont matter because they will have been Broncos. Some of the very members who are complaining about this hit are the same ones who give out excuses when Bronco players do it. But, thats homerism for ya. Nothing you can do about it. lol

I call out Broncos for fouls all the time, sometimes sparking pretty heated debates. The rules are the rules.

TXBRONC
08-25-2014, 06:51 AM
Different scenarios. Quarterbacks are protected against hits below the knee if they're in a throwing position because they're particularly vulnerable - similar to punters being protected after they kick the ball. Apples and oranges compared to a defenseless receiver. I'll admit that some players caught hell for going low last year while tackling receivers, but you'll notice that they didn't get flagged for it.

T.J. Ward was widely criticized for his hit on Gronkowski.

Northman
08-25-2014, 07:31 AM
I call out Broncos for fouls all the time, sometimes sparking pretty heated debates. The rules are the rules.

You werent one of the people i was referring too.

BroncoWave
08-25-2014, 07:47 AM
North, just because there are a few homers on here who will not complain when a Bronco makes a borderline hit doesn't make the arguments of everyone else irrelevant.

BroncoNut
08-25-2014, 08:22 AM
Of course he didn't. Why was Manning mad? Because he laid a nice, legal hit? Manning doesn't behave like that. The fact that he did, tells me exactly what I need to know about the hit and the player. I didn't catch the headbutt at the game. All we heard was taunting #18, everyone around us was like what? Then saw the replay and all of us said oh shit, he done pissed Manning off. :lol:

well, lets' stick to the facts

GEM
08-25-2014, 09:04 AM

Most in our section did not see it, jut heard number 18 after the call. Everyone kind of looked around and laughed like did they get the number wrong? 18? Manning? Then everyone just said dammmmit replay it!!!

aberdien
08-25-2014, 10:09 AM
You say it like it's a bad thing!

Northman
08-25-2014, 11:02 AM
North, just because there are a few homers on here who will not complain when a Bronco makes a borderline hit doesn't make the arguments of everyone else irrelevant.

No, it does not make the argument irrelevant. However, it does make said person a massive hypocrite.

Northman
08-25-2014, 11:03 AM
You say it like it's a bad thing!

Some cases its great, others not so much. lmao

OB
08-28-2014, 11:14 AM
He was fined $8200 :lol: I think he makes that in pizza delivery tips in one night alone :P

MOtorboat
08-28-2014, 11:32 AM
He was fined $8200 :lol: I think he makes that in pizza delivery tips in one night alone :P

Manning got fined?

For that?

So, surely, Swearinger got a massive fine, right?

BroncoNut
08-28-2014, 11:36 AM
Manning got fined?

For that?

So, surely, Swearinger got a massive fine, right?

no, the hit was completely clean and swearinger didn't do anything wrong

MOtorboat
08-28-2014, 11:38 AM
no, the hit was completely clean and swearinger didn't do anything wrong

He hit a player in the helmet, injuring him and placing him possibly on the injured list.

Manning said "**** you."

You tell me what moment was worse for the safety of the players.

BroncoNut
08-28-2014, 11:45 AM
He hit a player in the helmet, injuring him and placing him possibly on the injured list.

Manning said "**** you."

You tell me what moment was worse for the safety of the players.

well this is news to me. I understood it to be a clean hit, so maybe you should consider that and tone it down a bit. plus isnt' this like week old news?

MOtorboat
08-28-2014, 11:48 AM
well this is news to me. I understood it to be a clean hit, so maybe you should consider that and tone it down a bit. plus isnt' this like week old news?

The fine was announced today.

BroncoNut
08-28-2014, 11:48 AM
The fine was announced today.

oh;;

VonDoom
08-28-2014, 11:50 AM
Chris Mortensen ✔ @mortreport
Follow

Peyton Manning notified by NFL he is fined $8,200 for taunting of DJ Swearinger. No appeal. Peyton: "I accept it. Money well spent."

:beer:

BroncoNut
08-28-2014, 11:50 AM
:beer:

8200.00 would put the roof I need on my house

Northman
08-28-2014, 11:51 AM
I would bet that DJ was fined too.

Northman
08-28-2014, 11:52 AM
8200.00 would put the roof I need on my house

Me too,, and also fix my back deck. lmao

BroncoNut
08-28-2014, 11:53 AM
I would bet that DJ was fined too.

maybe, but if Welker was fined, I think THAT would be total bs

BroncoNut
08-28-2014, 11:55 AM
Me too,, and also fix my back deck. lmao

I would have flown Manning out to have my roof and your deck done. is it too much to ask that he maybe restrain himself and use the money he saved to make our lives a bit more tolerable? I'm kinda thinking not

Denver Native (Carol)
08-28-2014, 01:36 PM
Peyton Manning's visceral reaction to D.J. Swearinger's concussion-inducing hit on Wes Welker came with a price. The Broncos quarterback was fined $8,258 for his actions in last Saturday's preseason game.

Manning's hostility built over the week as the Broncos held joint practices with the Texans at Dove Valley. Swearinger instigated or waded into nearly every fight, including throwing a punch at receiver Demaryius Thomas. When Manning completed a 9-yard pass to Welker in the second quarter, Swearinger crashed into the receiver with a forearm shiver and shoulder. Welker exited with his third concussion in 10 months.

AND

A decision on whether Swearinger will be fined is expected to be announced Friday.

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_26424164/peyton-manning-broncos-qb-fined-8-200-taunting

Dzone
08-28-2014, 01:38 PM
Money well spent! Classic
https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/peyton-manning-fined-by-nfl-for-taunting-penalty--gives-great-response-172134572.html

Joel
08-29-2014, 12:26 AM
Swearinger BETTER be fined. I didn't know taunting even WAS finable, even with an expletive, but headshots by guys who've been penalized for previous headshots are VERY finable.

Dapper Dan
08-29-2014, 03:51 AM
I'm guessing DJ gets about 15k or 25k fine.

Canmore
08-29-2014, 04:00 AM
I'm guessing DJ gets about 15k or 25k fine.

It will be the latter or worse.

tomjonesrocks
08-29-2014, 10:59 AM
Why is the fine amount so weird? $8,258? Couldn't come up with a nice even number?

BroncoJoe
08-29-2014, 11:05 AM
Why is the fine amount so weird? $8,258? Couldn't come up with a nice even number?

That is an even number.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-29-2014, 11:29 AM
According to ESPN’s Chris Mortensen, Manning does not plan to appeal the fine and said it was “money well spent.” The $ 8,268 figure is the mandatory minimum for such fines, and the flag was the first time in his career that Manning has been penalized for taunting.

http://breakingnewsindex.com/nfl-fines-peyton-manning-8200-for-taunting-foxsports-com/

VonDoom
08-29-2014, 03:16 PM
I got an ESPN update on my phone that said Swearinger is not expected to be fined

Dapper Dan
08-29-2014, 03:56 PM
They said being a Gamecock was enough punishment.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-29-2014, 05:08 PM
Texans' D.J. Swearinger avoids fine for hit on Broncos' Wes Welker

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_26433138/texans-swearinger-avoids-fine-hit-broncos-wes-welker

Joel
08-29-2014, 05:53 PM
Texans' D.J. Swearinger avoids fine for hit on Broncos' Wes Welker

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_26433138/texans-swearinger-avoids-fine-hit-broncos-wes-welker
SO much BS: Manning gets fined for something he SAID, for the first time in his career; Swearinger gets NOTHING for the concussing cheap shot that caused it, even though he'd already been fined for a different cheap shot just a year ago. The NFLs disciplinary "policy" is so inconsistent and has such screwed up priorities it's hard to take seriously.