PDA

View Full Version : Houston Texan writer gives thoughts on the Broncos after combined practices

Jsteve01
08-22-2014, 08:36 AM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/48-Observations-Texans-Broncos-Day-2/4e85d3a0-9c9f-4bc8-b632-67cb59d6a836

A few thoughts that jumped out from the article.

First that really jumped out and I've been saying this all off season. Derek Wolfe is back

The Texans offensive 9-on-7 period was a rough one, in large part because one of the most underrated Broncos ran completely roughshod. Derek Wolfe, No. 95, is the one Bronco that the Texans consistently have struggled to block. He set the edge on the defensive left side about three times in a row that shut down runs that way.

Later in practice, during a blitz period, Ware and Miller lined up opposite Wolfe. So, the former Cincinnati Bearcat was alone on the left side and he completely powered through the Texans tackle on his way to what would've been a sure sack. That guy is almost as important as any other on the Broncos defense.

Broncos DE Derek Wolfe is a mix of power and technique and he's going to have a stellar season.

c. Broncos WR Demaryius Thomas is just so impressive in every way, shape and/or form
e. Broncos DB Aqib Talib is a trash talker, but he's big and strong as an ox on the perimeter.
g. Broncos DT Terrence Knighton is Casey Hampton/Gilbert Brown reincarnate
h. Broncos C Manny Ramirez and G Louis Vasquez excel inside.
i. Broncos ILB Nate Irving is fully healthy, finally, and it shows - loved this kid coming out of NC State but he was always in recovery mode.

Fun to get an outside opinion on this team coming out of camp. Good read.

Jsteve01
08-22-2014, 08:37 AM
I will say that he commented on Oz' lack of arm strength which to me is completely inaccurate

OrangeHoof
08-22-2014, 09:13 AM
If one side of the line is facing ex-Pro Bowler Duane Brown and the other is facing Derek Newton, that will explain why one side of the d-line looks like an unstoppable force and the other doesn't. Newton sucks on every level. So if Wolfe was lined up on Newton, it's no wonder he had a great practice.

If you watch any of the Texans games from the second half of last year when Keenum and Schaub were running for their lives, it was because the right side of the OL was terrible. The Texans think Brooks will be OK at RG but they still have Newton at RT.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-22-2014, 09:49 AM
I will say that he commented on Oz' lack of arm strength which to me is completely inaccurate

I noticed in pre-season game that Osweiler at times will try to put too much touch on the ball which results in the ball floating, and if you don't know any better you will think he doesn't have enough arm strength. Brock obviously has a cannon, he just needs to not try to put so much touch on the ball, but simply step into the throw and get the ball there.

Ziggy
08-22-2014, 10:24 AM
This guy is objective, thorough, and full of information. Any chance we could get him to come work in Denver? He puts our local writers to shame.

TXBRONC
08-22-2014, 10:35 AM

Yeah he's all wet on that one.

TXBRONC
08-22-2014, 10:36 AM
This guy is objective, thorough, and full of information. Any chance we could get him to come work in Denver? He puts our local writers to shame.

I think Klis and Renck are good reporters.

silkamilkamonico
08-22-2014, 11:17 AM
I don't ever hear anything about Quanterus Smith. But when I have watched the first 2 preseason games he has been the most consistent pass rusher on Denver. I have no idea where he stands in the mix of things but Denver needs to find a way to keep this guy.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-22-2014, 11:32 AM
I don't ever hear anything about Quanterus Smith. But when I have watched the first 2 preseason games he has been the most consistent pass rusher on Denver. I have no idea where he stands in the mix of things but Denver needs to find a way to keep this guy.

I believe he's listed as #2 behind Ware.

TXBRONC
08-22-2014, 12:09 PM
I believe he's listed as #2 behind Ware.

If he stays number #2 behind Ware he will probably get a lot of playing time in sub packages.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-22-2014, 12:17 PM
If he stays number #2 behind Ware he will probably get a lot of playing time in sub packages.

He's explosive and athletic for sure. I want to see how he holds up against the run.

TXBRONC
08-22-2014, 03:36 PM

He's definitely getting himself noticed.

TXBRONC
08-22-2014, 03:37 PM
He's explosive and athletic for sure. I want to see how he holds up against the run.

He doesn't always set the edge very but hopefully that comes with time. But even he never becomes real good at run defense if he proves that he can not only get pressure but also finish he'll be starter some day.

Simple Jaded
08-23-2014, 01:32 AM
Osweiler has been going to 2nd and 3rd options and looking off S's, I expect more growing pains but even someone like me can see the strides he's made.

Timmy!
08-23-2014, 01:46 AM
Oz is the goods. Buddy of mine met him at some wedding reception couple months ago. Guess they are like 2nd cousins or something. Its shocking how tall oz actually is when u see him in pics with normal folk. Friggin giraffe.

Valar Morghulis
08-23-2014, 04:40 AM
I liked how he spoke about Latimer - we are so stacked in the passing game, i also think caldwell would be a lock in about 70% of other teams

Cugel
08-23-2014, 11:34 AM

Perhaps someone will ask Fox about Osweiler's arm strength, which will give him the chance to say that Osweiler's arm "is just as strong as Joe Montana's." :laugh:

For those too young to remember: Brian Griese :rolleyes:

Cugel
08-23-2014, 11:39 AM
If one side of the line is facing ex-Pro Bowler Duane Brown and the other is facing Derek Newton, that will explain why one side of the d-line looks like an unstoppable force and the other doesn't. Newton sucks on every level. So if Wolfe was lined up on Newton, it's no wonder he had a great practice.

If you watch any of the Texans games from the second half of last year when Keenum and Schaub were running for their lives, it was because the right side of the OL was terrible. The Texans think Brooks will be OK at RG but they still have Newton at RT.

I suspect that having DeMarcus Ware and Von Miller rushing from one side will tend to focus extra attention on that side, give Wolfe an advantage all year -- whenever the Broncos line up in that formation.

If Wolfe has a good year that will be huge of course.

gregbroncs
08-24-2014, 11:22 AM
Von and Ware on the same side. It has got to give offensive line coaches nightmares. :)