PDA

View Full Version : Wow. If Only This Was Accurate

spikerman
08-19-2014, 08:43 PM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/tony-gonzalez-broncos-will-go-undefeated-1.9099807

CrazyHorse
08-19-2014, 11:26 PM
Well, when the Miami Dolphins went undefeated they were blown out the previous Super Bowl. They then went on to win back to back Super Bowls.

OrangeHoof
08-20-2014, 02:28 AM
Crazy talk. Have they looked at our schedule? We could just as easily start 0-3 going into our bye week. I was afraid of this. We edge the Seahawks in a sloppy our-scrubs-vs-your-scrubs and surprisingly blow out the Niners in their new house and suddenly some people think we have no weaknesses. smh.

Joel
08-20-2014, 03:57 AM
Crazy talk. Have they looked at our schedule? We could just as easily start 0-3 going into our bye week. I was afraid of this. We edge the Seahawks in a sloppy our-scrubs-vs-your-scrubs and surprisingly blow out the Niners in their new house and suddenly some people think we have no weaknesses. smh.
Fer reals; the N/AFCW were last years best divisions hands down, having 5/12 playoff teams (and it should've been a full 50%) 3/4 Conference Championship teams and both SB teams. That means the defending Conference Champs must play each other plus 8 more teams fresh off playoff seasons. The good news is whoever claws their way to the top of the A/NFCW will prove themselves against a grueling schedule that makes a nice playoff warm up; the bad news is they'll be lucky to win 12 games, let alone 16.

Northman
08-20-2014, 04:51 AM
Would be nice but not likely.

TXBRONC
08-20-2014, 07:14 AM

That's just an ex-player giving commentary. If the team's head got swelled after they were quickly humbled with yesterday's joint practice with the Texans.

BroncoWave
08-20-2014, 07:22 AM
We're not starting 0-3. That's crazy talk. I'd be really, really surprised if we lost in week 1. I just can't see Peyton losing to Indy twice in a row, especially at home this time.

PatriotsGuy
08-20-2014, 07:45 AM
Well we know this is inaccurate due to week 9 :D

Ziggy
08-20-2014, 09:40 AM
If the Broncos win in Seattle, 19-0 is very possible.

weazel
08-20-2014, 10:34 AM

only score that matters at this point is 43-8...

Joel
08-20-2014, 02:42 PM
Truth; I don't care if we have a 7-9 season like the 2010 Seahawks as long as we win the Big One, and don't care if we have a 16-0 season like the 2007 Pats if we DON'T win the Big One.

We've won the Division 3 years straight, the Conference last year, and shattered scoring records: Only ONE thing counts as progress now, and it's not measured in a regular season records.

VonDoom
08-20-2014, 03:19 PM
I'd rather people go back to underestimating us. Even if he truly thinks we're the best team in football (possible, but certainly debatable), the likelihood of anyone going undefeated in the age of parity is exceptionally low.

Cugel
08-20-2014, 04:01 PM
Frankly, I don't want the Broncos to go undefeated. The pressure really got to the Patriots and they certainly didn't perform very well in the SB against the Giants. All that "undefeated" "best team of all time!" stuff for 2 weeks prior to the SB? No thanks.

The intensity of the SB is vastly greater today than it was in 1973. I remember back then that baseball was still the #1 sport in America, though football was rapidly moving ahead. In those days I actually cared about who won the World Series.

Joel
08-20-2014, 06:20 PM
If this team's not ready for the pressure and keenly aware it must bring its best and leave it all on the field EVERY game by now, it will never learn under Fox. Going one-and-done because of a DOT loss in a home game we led by a TD with <1:00 in regulation, then watching the WINNING team win the Super Bowl; THAT should've done it. I seem to recall they stopped re-watching that game weekly about midway through the season; I thought that a mistake then, and still do.

If that followed by smashing all those scoring records only to GET smashed from kickoff till gun in the SB hasn't focused them, they CAN'T be focused. And I'll view Fox as I did Switzer in '94.

Shazam!
08-20-2014, 06:59 PM
They were close in 1998. In today's NFL going undefeated is nearly impossible.

Cugel
08-20-2014, 09:06 PM
They were close in 1998. In today's NFL going undefeated is nearly impossible.

For one thing there are 2 more regular season games than in 1972.

OrangeHoof
08-21-2014, 11:54 AM
For one thing there are 2 more regular season games than in 1972.

Actually, I think it was four. The 1972 Dolphins went 17-0 including three playoff games so they had a 14-game season. The Patriots actually have the record for most consecutive wins in one season even with their Super Bowl loss because their season was longer.

Joel
08-21-2014, 01:43 PM
Actually, I think it was four. The 1972 Dolphins went 17-0 including three playoff games so they had a 14-game season. The Patriots actually have the record for most consecutive wins in one season even with their Super Bowl loss because their season was longer.
Still just 2 more games, unless we have so many 16-0 teams in one season that one of them doesn't get a bye. Whether it's 14-0 vs. 16-0 or 17-0 vs. 19-0, it's still 2 more games. It's not as impossible as I thought it was before the '07 Pats; they were just one win away from it. It was the BIGGEST win, but without Tyrees helmet catch the 14-10 final clinches their perfect season.

It's doable, but I'm superstitious enough not to invite jinxes, especially after the radical difference between the beginning and end of our last season. As long as we win, clean, I couldn't care less about the rest; I'd rather have last years SB than all of last years records and I bet the team would, too. Records get broken (ask Tarkenton and Marino) but Championships are forever.

Ravage!!!
08-21-2014, 01:48 PM

Not anymore it doesn't. That'st he past. Perhaps some of you want to constantly look at the past and dwell, but I'm glad others have the ability to move forward and look ahead. It's time to leave that game in the past, as THAT game will have NOTHING to do with this entire season.

Joel
08-21-2014, 02:53 PM
Can't say you're wrong, but I can hope really hard. Even after we humiliated them Opening Day, it took half a season to get over the Ravens ending our season en route to their Championship—and we sure seemed to lose that high octane Opening Day fire when we did. Maybe if the team hadn't stopped watching that game before every tape session SB XLVIII ends differently.

It ended how it ended, though, and for us it pretty much ended at the start. I HOPE every Bronco in that game has that lurking in the back of his mind through every down, every practice, every game, all the way to OUR Championship in Super Bowl XLIX. Because otherwise we might not get a CHANCE to play the SB right this year.

weazel
08-21-2014, 03:30 PM
Not anymore it doesn't. That'st he past. Perhaps some of you want to constantly look at the past and dwell, but I'm glad others have the ability to move forward and look ahead. It's time to leave that game in the past, as THAT game will have NOTHING to do with this entire season.

and neither does preseason, yet here we are in a thread that is praising the Broncos because of two meaningless preseason games. As I said, the only score that matters to this point is 43-8.

spikerman
08-21-2014, 07:24 PM
and neither does preseason, yet here we are in a thread that is praising the Broncos because of two meaningless preseason games. As I said, the only score that matters to this point is 43-8.

The point of the thread want to praise the Broncos, but more about my astonishment that Gonzalez would day something like that. Personally, I think the Broncos will have a worse record than last year, but will be a better overall team.

spikerman
08-21-2014, 07:55 PM
The point of the thread want to praise the Broncos, but more about my astonishment that Gonzalez would day something like that. Personally, I think the Broncos will have a worse record than last year, but will be a better overall team.
Wow, my typing skills on my phone suck.

Buff
08-21-2014, 08:04 PM
Wow, my typing skills on my phone suck.

I just figured you were hitting the bottle again. :drinking:

spikerman
08-21-2014, 08:16 PM
I just figured you were hitting the bottle again. :drinking:

Ha. I can't. I have a scrimmage tomorrow and it'll be baking out there.