PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' work vs. Texans could shape weekend

Denver Native (Carol)
08-18-2014, 08:16 PM
SANTA, clara, calif. — Peyton Manning approaches practice with a shark's purpose. There is no wasted movement, no lost focus. This week offers a changeup to heighten senses as the Broncos will work out with the Houston Texans for three days at Dove Valley.

The teams have agreed not to tackle to the ground, but having somebody else to face should increase intensity. Manning believes much can be gained, potentially affecting Saturday's game.

"Depending on how practice goes, that could alter the playing time (on Saturday). We should get a lot of game-like scenarios this week, especially going against their defense," Manning said. "It will be a great test."

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_26360397/peyton-manning-broncos-work-texans-could-shape-weekend

Denver Native (Carol)
08-18-2014, 08:17 PM
from same article:

One play that likely will become a ghost this week? The quarterback draw. Manning took off against the 49ers on Sunday with a mind of optimism and feet of clay.

"That was a tendency breaker. It was probably not high alert on their game plan sheet: watch for the quarterback run," Manning said. "I thought I was going to score and I got 1 yard. It was humbling."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_26360397/peyton-manning-broncos-work-texans-could-shape-weekend

Joel
08-18-2014, 08:55 PM
I hope they see enough in practice scrimmages against each other that the starters skip most of the game, but doubt it. Since the final preseason game's between the first and last cuts, the starters probably won't play more than the first series (if that) against Dallas, so this is their last tuneup before the season, and since the season opener against Indy could potentially determine homefield, we don't want the first team to spend the first half knocking off 2 weeks of rust. One more reason I'd have liked to see Manning with backup WRs/RBs and Oz with starters last week.

TXBRONC
08-18-2014, 09:26 PM
I hope they see enough in practice scrimmages against each other that the starters skip most of the game, but doubt it. Since the final preseason game's between the first and last cuts, the starters probably won't play more than the first series (if that) against Dallas, so this is their last tuneup before the season, and since the season opener against Indy could potentially determine homefield, we don't want the first team to spend the first half knocking off 2 weeks of rust. One more reason I'd have liked to see Manning with backup WRs/RBs and Oz with starters last week.

I doubt that happens Joel. It's the third preseason game which is always a dress rehearsal for the regular season. In the final preseason game you can on one count on one hand how many starter of both side of ball will get any snaps at all. Last Denver opened up season playing the defending Super Bowl champs yet Manning and the majority of starters did see the field at in the fourth preseason game. I would just about bet the farm that it won't be any different this year.

Joel
08-19-2014, 03:22 AM
Well, that's pretty much what I said I expect, and can't really argue with the logic of it; we can't afford a 2 week break when we start the season against the Colts. Playing 8 games against teams that made last years playoffs, plus another that WOULD'VE in any division but ours or theirs, we need everyone in rhythm from start to finish. If we wanted to see third (let alone fourth) string guys against starters, the time to do it was probably last week, except a lot of '49er starters skipped that game, at least on D, so it still wouldn't have told us much.

At this point though, the cutdown dates pretty much dictate who starts: Actual starters vs. Houston, bubble guys vs. Dallas. Just how it's got to be.