PDA

View Full Version : Marvin Austin Makes an Impact?!

Cugel
08-15-2014, 01:07 PM
This is interesting. It looks like the Broncos could have found another blue-chip player on the FA scrap heap. Similarly to the way they resurrected the career of Terrance Knighton, Marvin Austin has been making an impact in this year's camp:

Defensively the standout of the day and maybe the entire camp has been Marvin Austin (http://milehighsports.com/2014/08/14/camp-continues-to-excel-teams-progress/). After spinal surgery and not playing football for an extended period of time he has been ecstatic to get back on the filed. Today in the one-on-one drills he beat Orlando Franklin several times and stuffed some run plays in goal line duty. He simply tries to challenge the offense while making the defense better all while enjoying himself during training camp.

“It’s competition. I think we have arguably one of the best O-lines in the National Football League, so to go out there and make plays and make guys move around a little bit is what we want to do,” said Austin. “Everybody is still trying to make this team. I’m darn sure trying to make this team, so I just want to make sure I go out there, have good body language, and play hard, play fast.”

In college Austin was considered a possible top 10 draft pick after his junior year, but before he could play in his senior season, he was suspended along with 13 other North Carolina players for receiving improper benefits and missed his final year of college eligibility.

Still, based on his prior college career, Austin was drafted 52nd in the 2nd round by the Giants in 2011, but has had a career largely hobbled by injuries. He was on IR his rookie year and didn't play. Then after playing in 8 games as a backup in 2012 he was released by the Giants. Signed by Miami he played in only 2 regular season games before being released less than a month later. He was immediately picked up by the Cowboys. He played in one game but injured his back in a team practice and was released a week later.

If he can stay healthy he could finally become the impact player that everybody expected from his early days at North Carolina. This is a player who really fell behind after missing a season in college, then has suffered injuries and after four years is only now coming into his own. I expect he will make the roster and be a significant contributor to the Broncos rotation this season.

Dapper Dan
08-15-2014, 01:34 PM
I hope so!

silkamilkamonico
08-15-2014, 04:06 PM
Rumours swilring around Dove Valley is that Vickerson just might be the one on the chopping block.

atwater27
08-15-2014, 05:38 PM
Wouldn't this be a stroke of luck?

Simple Jaded
08-15-2014, 11:37 PM
Rumours swilring around Dove Valley is that Vickerson just might be the one on the chopping block.

If he's healthy I think they should keep 5 DT's, but a dislocated hip and 330lb dudes rarely turn out positively.

SoCalImport
08-16-2014, 12:51 AM
all fired up to see what guys can bring on the D side of the line. Knighton is our only known quantity atm. I'd hate to see Big Vick struggle to make the team even though it could just mean that we're stacked at DT.