PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Manning's throwing improves, but 2013 numbers will be hard to top

Denver Native (Carol)
08-04-2014, 03:33 PM
Highlight: Maybe, Peyton Manning will throw 60 touchdown passes this season. The 38-year-old, five-time MVP clearly is throwing the ball better. It will be difficult for him to do better than the 55 touchdowns and 5,477 passing yards he had last season. But he is throwing with greater velocity and length.

During one 11-on-11 session, Manning hit tight end Julius Thomas in stride on a deep pattern for a touchdown.

Otherwise, the defense showed some pride Monday at Dove Valley after getting whipped by the offense during its Summer Scrimmage on Saturday at the stadium.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_26273625/peyton-mannings-throwing-improves-but-2013-numbers-will

atwater27
08-04-2014, 05:07 PM
No way does he repeat that against our schedule this year.

DenBronx
08-04-2014, 08:21 PM
No way does he repeat that against our schedule this year.

We had so many changes I doubt we put up record numbers again. But I never doubt Mannings abilities...

Ravage!!!
08-05-2014, 10:26 AM
It would be silly to expect him to duplicate those numbers no matter WHAT the schedule is.

artie_dale
08-05-2014, 11:27 AM
I still think Peyton will reach 5K yds & 40 TDs, which is still better than anyone else last season (Brees = 5100+ & 39 TDs).

Slick
08-05-2014, 12:06 PM
Just win.

Dzone
08-05-2014, 01:23 PM
Yes, hes stronger now and will put up similar numbers to last year, lead the league in every category and take a 6th MVP, Super Bowl MVP and 2nd Lombardi .

CoachChaz
08-05-2014, 01:48 PM
I actually think a tougher schedule works in his favor. Instead of cooling the jets at the end of games against weaker teams...we may have to go balls to the wall for 60 minutes more often. Could open up more opportunities for big numbers.

That being said...I think there is some over-reaction as to the actual toughness of our schedule. Outside of the Colts, Hawks, Niners and Pats, we arent exactly playing a plethora of teams on our level. Some could be tough with solid opposing defenses (Cards, Jets), but they'll still have to outscore our improved defense.

atwater27
08-05-2014, 04:27 PM
I actually think a tougher schedule works in his favor. Instead of cooling the jets at the end of games against weaker teams...we may have to go balls to the wall for 60 minutes more often. Could open up more opportunities for big numbers.

That being said...I think there is some over-reaction as to the actual toughness of our schedule. Outside of the Colts, Hawks, Niners and Pats, we arent exactly playing a plethora of teams on our level. Some could be tough with solid opposing defenses (Cards, Jets), but they'll still have to outscore our improved defense.
Against the defenses we are facing, we will be running the ball more and trying to win with our improved defense. I don't know how you could say our schedule is overrated. We play 9 games against playoff teams. We also play Arizona, which was 10 and 6. We play a tough as nails rams team that would have made the playoffs in most other divisions. So really 11 of 16 games against playoff quality opponents and absolutely brutal defenses.

CoachChaz
08-05-2014, 11:26 PM

Against the defenses we are facing, we will be running the ball more and trying to win with our improved defense. I don't know how you could say our schedule is overrated. We play 9 games against playoff teams. We also play Arizona, which was 10 and 6. We play a tough as nails rams team that would have made the playoffs in most other divisions. So really 11 of 16 games against playoff quality opponents and absolutely brutal defenses.

Tomayto...tomahto. I guess we'll see

Apollo
08-06-2014, 03:58 AM
He doesn't need to be as good as last year throughout the season, as I think the team will work as a unit a bit better this year. As long as Peyton shows up in the big games we'll be fine.

Shazam!
08-06-2014, 05:20 AM
Last year's schedule was considered brutal too.

CoachChaz
08-06-2014, 07:52 AM
Last year's schedule was considered brutal too.

I can see how some people can make a case for and against our opponents this year. Those that make a case for them tend to see the schedule much tougher than others. Personally...I resort to the fact that every year there are teams that are considered top 10 in the league and end up in the bottom. And when I consider our potential on offense and now defense...I have a hard time including the Rams, Cardinals, Jets and Chargers in my list of contenders. I wont guarantee a win against them due to the reality of "any given Sunday", but when I look at those teams as a whole...I'm not nearly as impressed with them as I am with the obvious choices.

So, who knows...maybe we go 13-3 again, or maybe we go 10-6. Maybe Manning replicates 2013, or maybe he doesnt. But I think it's silly to assume that a team lead by Manning and coordinated by Gase that relies on talent in the passing game in an era where ALL teams look for strong aerial assaults..will suddenly decide to be more balanced with the running game. That being said...if our competition is as good as some make it out to be...we'll need Manning to be just as good for a full 60 minutes each week.