PDA

View Full Version : Montee Ball undergoes appendectomy

Zweems56
08-04-2014, 01:05 PM
Per Schefter. Back by week 1

Broncos RB Montee Ball will undergo an appendectomy today but is expected to be ready for regular-season opener vs. Colts, per source.

GEM
08-04-2014, 01:08 PM
Great.

GEM
08-04-2014, 01:14 PM

slim
08-04-2014, 01:16 PM
GEM - you realize week 1 is the first game, right?

GEM
08-04-2014, 01:17 PM
I get it. Just hope he's really ready to go by then. Appendectomy recovery isn't fun. Pretty sore and they go through some muscle to get to it. Less than a month to be back to 100% seems awfully quick.

VonDoom
08-04-2014, 01:20 PM
Well, that sucks. Hope all goes well with his recovery.

On the bright side, better that it happens now instead of during the season. Plus now we'll get to see all the other RB's fighting for roster spots more clearly.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-04-2014, 01:25 PM
Denver Broncos running back Montee Ball will undergo an appendectomy Monday but is expected to be ready for the regular-season opener against the Indianapolis Colts, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Ball is shifting into the starting role for the Broncos this season after the team let Knowshon Moreno leave in free agency to sign with the Miami Dolphins.

rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11308405/montee-ball-denver-broncos-appendectomy

Rick
08-04-2014, 01:36 PM
Silver lining I guess is this gives a chance to see what we really have with the backups with the additional reps for them.

Rex
08-04-2014, 01:44 PM
I get it. Just hope he's really ready to go by then. Appendectomy recovery isn't fun. Pretty sore and they go through some muscle to get to it. Less than a month to be back to 100% seems awfully quick.

Or it is a laproscopy done with a straw size tool and he is better in 2 weeks,

Denver Native (Carol)
08-04-2014, 01:46 PM
Montee Ball @ballrb28 · 26m

I appreciate the get well wishes everyone! I will be ok and come back stronger than ever!! #Broncos

Dzone
08-04-2014, 01:47 PM
Well thats not good. Hope he can bounce back fast. Hillman had better make the most of this opportunity. Heard the CS is not real happy with CJ Andersons weight . Too bad we couldnt keep knowshon

tubby
08-04-2014, 01:48 PM
Emergency appendectomy!

GEM
08-04-2014, 02:06 PM
Then that wouldn't be an appendectomy. All I can go by is what is reported.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-04-2014, 03:13 PM
The Broncos, back at Dove Valley for training camp Monday, received news that no team wants to hear just days before facing their nemesis in their preseason opener: Their starting running back, Montee Ball, will be out for at least the first two preseason games, if not more.

Ball was set to have an emergency appendectomy Monday afternoon, three days before the Broncos take on the Seahawks at Sports Authority Field at Mile High, their first meeting since Denver's disastrous showing in the Super Bowl in February.

Shortly after news broke of Ball's health, a message of reassurance was posted to his Twitter account: "I appreciate the get well wishes everyone! I will be ok and come back stronger than ever!! #Broncos."

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_26273623/loss-montee-ball-hovers-over-broncos-camp-just

silkamilkamonico
08-04-2014, 03:33 PM
Well thats not good. Hope he can bounce back fast. Hillman had better make the most of this opportunity. Heard the CS is not real happy with CJ Andersons weight . Too bad we couldnt keep knowshon

Did he come in out of shape, or did he just beef up a little over the offseason and the CS wanted to keep his weight down?

VonDoom
08-04-2014, 03:35 PM
Did he come in out of shape, or did he just beef up a little over the offseason and the CS wanted to keep his weight down?

This is the first I've heard of this. I thought he reported to camp eight pounds LESS than last year? Is that what the issue is?

TXBRONC
08-04-2014, 05:18 PM
Silver lining I guess is this gives a chance to see what we really have with the backups with the additional reps for them.

That's a good way to look at it.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-04-2014, 05:46 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Running back Montee Ball will miss practice time because of an emergency appendectomy, but is expected to make a full recovery with a targeted return by Week 1.

Head Coach John Fox said that Ball began feeling the effects of appendicitis Sunday. The symptoms persisted into Monday morning, at which point he was sent to see a doctor, who made the diagnosis.

"It didn't (rupture)," Fox said. "It was really a blessing that we caught it now. He'll have the procedure immediately and he'll start the healing process."

rest - plus video - Elway Ball, Preseason Opener
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Ball-Undergoes-Appendectomy/ea877c08-3caf-41f6-b39d-8386a620a3af

Dzone
08-04-2014, 06:28 PM
Talk on the local denver radio today, for what thats worth, is that CJ was overweight and sluggish and thats why Hillman Jumped over him to #2

atwater27
08-04-2014, 06:29 PM
This is not good. My appendectomy kicked my ass for a couple of months.

Slick
08-04-2014, 07:01 PM
This is not good. My appendectomy kicked my ass for a couple of months.

Did they do it laproscopically or do you have a cool scar?

atwater27
08-04-2014, 07:33 PM
scar. Is the laproscopy the way to do it now?

tomjonesrocks
08-04-2014, 07:42 PM
Wow. Ridiculous luck there... On the plus side, guess we get a longer look at the other guys.

I still don't know why everyone is so Uber-confident Ball will be a stud carrying the load this season--seemed extremely risky putting all the eggs in his basket and letting Knowshon walk all along.

Last year I didn't really see anything all that special last year in Ball personally. Certainly not enough to be glad Denver didn't take Lacy instead. Manning obviously thinks he can play though, which is encouraging I guess.

I am completely over Hillman though. Hopefully he's an early cut made expendable by new talent showing something. If Hillman winds up getting double the preseason reps due to this there is no silver lining.

Buff
08-04-2014, 07:56 PM
Wow. Ridiculous luck there... On the plus side, guess we get a longer look at the other guys.

I still don't know why everyone is so Uber-confident Ball will be a stud carrying the load this season--seemed extremely risky putting all the eggs in his basket and letting Knowshon walk all along.

Last year I didn't really see anything all that special last year in Ball personally. Certainly not enough to be glad Denver didn't take Lacy instead. Manning obviously thinks he can play though, which is encouraging I guess.

I am completely over Hillman though. Hopefully he's an early cut made expendable by new talent showing something.

Ball was steady during the 2nd half and seemed to develop nicely. He did well in the games where he was asked to carry a bigger load, like against KC and TN. He's basically the productive, but not elite, RB that he was at Wisconsin.

I think Hillman will surprise some people who have written him off. Or he will prove them right. But there is no hiding at this point, it's put up or shut up time for him and they're going to give him every opportunity to win the job.

Dzone
08-04-2014, 08:09 PM
Hillman is getting a lot of praise for being vastly improved over last year. Plus, he was the youngest guy in the league and is still a year younger than Ball. What if Hillman breaks out and snags the #1 spot .Crazier things have happened

VonDoom
08-04-2014, 08:14 PM
Ball was steady during the 2nd half and seemed to develop nicely. He did well in the games where he was asked to carry a bigger load, like against KC and TN. He's basically the productive, but not elite, RB that he was at Wisconsin.

I think Hillman will surprise some people who have written him off. Or he will prove them right. But there is no hiding at this point, it's put up or shut up time for him and they're going to give him every opportunity to win the job.

Yeah, I've been as down on Hillman as most people around here, but he's still here, and obviously the FO thinks he can contribute. He's young, so I understand some immaturity. At best, it'll be a blessing if he can break out this year. At worst ... well, most people around here weren't really counting on him anyway, right?

Slick
08-04-2014, 08:15 PM
scar. Is the laproscopy the way to do it now?

I think so. If it hasn't burst. I think if it's ruptured they have to open you up a little more to clean up the mess. I would assume if it was feasable, Montee got the lapro. I didn't click the link.

MOtorboat
08-04-2014, 10:27 PM
Then that wouldn't be an appendectomy. All I can go by is what is reported.

If it was it's still an appendectomy. It's a technique, not a procedure. And most appendectomies are done that way now.

LTC Pain
08-05-2014, 08:54 AM
Is it legal to paint Hillman's hands with super glue???

GEM
08-05-2014, 08:57 AM
If it was it's still an appendectomy. It's a technique, not a procedure. And most appendectomies are done that way now.

Cool....all I said is I hope it heals as fast as they say it can. I don't trust Hillman and Anderson isn't proven by any means. Counting on them past the preseason as "the" guy could be harmful to the Broncos season.

CoachChaz
08-05-2014, 08:59 AM
Just to clear up the weight issue...CJ came into OTA's a little heavier that the staff liked, but by the time he reported for camp, he was lighter than his weight from last year.

Buff
08-05-2014, 09:42 AM
Just to clear up the weight issue...CJ came into OTA's a little heavier that the staff liked, but by the time he reported for camp, he was lighter than his weight from last year.

From Leggy:

When minicamp closed in June and Anderson weighed 234 pounds, his chances of making this roster were slim. He had been sluggish in offseason workouts but showed up to training camp almost 20 pounds lighter and has worked his way back into the conversation.

http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/7602/denver-broncos-projected-roster-2

Dzone
08-05-2014, 10:01 AM
So the writer at mile high sports thinks the broncos should sign Mcgahee. Hmmm I dunno...dont think he would be any better than the younger guys on the roster, except maybe his pass blocking
http://milehighsports.com/2014/08/05/paging-mr-mcgahee-paging-mr-willis-mcgahee/

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-05-2014, 10:06 AM
This is a sobering reminder that in today's NFL you need more than one RB on the roster.

VonDoom
08-05-2014, 10:18 PM
If we're signing a veteran RB, can't we wait until BenJarvus Green-Ellis is cut, as is rumored?

Cugel
08-05-2014, 10:22 PM
Coach Fox didn't even talk about Anderson. His press conference was all about how much better Ronnie Hillman was in knowing the offense this year. So, their plan A is Hillman. I'd say they better have a plan "B". I wonder how many times Seattle's defense will make Hillman cough up the ball? :confused:

TXBRONC
08-06-2014, 01:42 PM
Coach Fox didn't even talk about Anderson. His press conference was all about how much better Ronnie Hillman was in knowing the offense this year. So, their plan A is Hillman. I'd say they better have a plan "B". I wonder how many times Seattle's defense will make Hillman cough up the ball? :confused:

So did Fox just out of the blue start talking about Hillman or was he answering questions. Talking about Hillman and not mentioning Anderson doesn't mean there is no plan B. Since they haven't played the game it's kind of hard say if Hillman will cough up the ball.

DenBronx
08-06-2014, 02:16 PM
This is a sobering reminder that in today's NFL you need more than one RB on the roster.

That's definitely one position I am worried about as well as MLB.

TXBRONC
08-06-2014, 10:57 PM
That's definitely one position I am worried about as well as MLB.

I'm not worried about the middle linebackers on the team because it's doubtful Denver will be in their base that much. If Denver in their base defense 50% of the time or more that would be cause for concern. If that happens it more than likely means that Miller is having to play a traditional Sam linebacker.

atwater27
08-06-2014, 11:23 PM
From everything I am hearing, Ronnie Hillman might just be the back Denver was hoping for when they drafted him. Coaches have been gushing about him.

underrated29
08-06-2014, 11:39 PM
I said I had a feeling about Hillman this year. I also correctly tweeted out the rb order. That said, I still believe hillman is the Kyle Orton of rbs. In practice and such he looks great. When shits live, he sucks, sucks hard. I expect Cj Anderson to surpass him on the depth chart tomorrow night.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-09-2014, 01:53 PM
Five pounds lighter, but feeling better, Broncos running back Montee Ball watched practice for the first time since undergoing an appendectomy on Monday.

Ball couldn't say when he will play, but remains pleased with his progress.

"Right now I am getting healthy and strengthening my core, just listening to my body. Just taking it day-by-day, step-by-step," Ball said. "When you see me back in pads, you will know I am ready."

rest, plus video - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_26307127/broncos-montee-ball-feels-good-but-not-sure