PDA

View Full Version : Two Monitors - Help

OB
08-04-2014, 11:13 AM
OK - So I have two monitors at work. I have had them for well over a year - maybe two (im not keeping track).

On my left monitor (my "main" or #1 monitor) I have all the desktop icons for my programs - ie, Word, Excel, Roxio, etc.

On my right monitor (#2) I have all the desktop icons to my folder shortcuts

About a month ago I was going about my business when the screens flickered and all of my desktop icons moved over to my left (main) monitor. Just out of the blue - for no reason. So I drag all of my icons that were on #2 back over to the 2nd monitor and 5 minutes later - bam they all move back over to the main one.

I called out IT guy and he had never encountered such a thing and I did some googling and found some people with the problem but very few and no real good solutions or reasons as to why.

I did play around with the settings/properties and I will uncheck monitor #2 and then recheck it and the icons will stay on the #2 monitor for like a week and then just our of nowhere they will move again. Also, if I shut my computer completely off when I restart it they are all over there

I am using Windows XP

I am wondering if anyone has experienced this or if anyone has any suggestion on how to fix it. It's not a huge deal but I am starting to find it extremely annoying (in a Buff kind of way)

I dont want to have the IT guy sit and charge us for two hours but at some point I will give in and let him mess with it if I cant find a solution

Buff
08-04-2014, 11:25 AM
My advice is to deal with all of your icons on one side.

Seriously though - if both monitors are functional, I guess I don't understand why it matters where your desktop icons are. Are you one of those people who saves everything to your desktop and have 75 icons?

OB
08-04-2014, 12:07 PM
My advice is to deal with all of your icons on one side.

Seriously though - if both monitors are functional, I guess I don't understand why it matters where your desktop icons are. Are you one of those people who saves everything to your desktop and have 75 icons?

I have shortcuts to all of my currently active cases on the right side - so yes there are a lot - when I arrange them I can find them easily instead of having to search for 5 minutes in a slew of icons randomly arranged on the screens (when they are all on one page they fill one whole screen - and yes I could get rid of about a quarter of them but that still doesnt help when they are randomly scattered)

It takes about 5 steps for me to go from "my computer" to the client folder I need - so the shortcuts save me a lot of time

I think that is why they are called "shortcuts" ;)

Dapper Dan
08-04-2014, 12:30 PM
So are they in a different order when they jump over to screen 2?

Buff
08-04-2014, 12:33 PM
I've had 2 monitors at work for as long as I can remember... And I've always had my icons on my primary screen.

My guess is that they are always going to default to the primary. I keep all of my shortcuts in a "Shortcuts" folder on my desktop - maybe you could do that and then you'd only have to drag one folder over to the right when it reverts back.

OB
08-04-2014, 12:46 PM
So are they in a different order when they jump over to screen 2?

Yes - just a jumbled mess

I've had 2 monitors at work for as long as I can remember... And I've always had my icons on my primary screen.

My guess is that they are always going to default to the primary. I keep all of my shortcuts in a "Shortcuts" folder on my desktop - maybe you could do that and then you'd only have to drag one folder over to the right when it reverts back.

If I cant figure out how to make them stick -thats a great idea - thanks!!!

I might try making monitor #2 my main monitor and see if that works -

I just think its so weird it didnt start doing this until about a month ago - maybe there was some update or something that messed it up :whoknows: