PDA

View Full Version : Aqib Talib gives Denver Broncos defense a new identity

Denver Native (Carol)
07-31-2014, 09:08 AM
Aqib Talib jogged off the field toward the north tunnel Wednesday, a clear path to escape from the persistent drizzle at Sports Authority Field at Mile High. Hearing his name, the former New England Patriots cornerback stopped and resumed his strong connection to his new fans.

He exchanged hellos and grabbed a football to sign.

"Man," he said, pressing the black Sharpie onto the wet leather, "I don't know how this is going to come out."

Consider it a metaphor for Talib's arrival in Denver.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_26248214/aqib-talib-gives-denver-broncos-defense-new-identity

OrangeHoof
07-31-2014, 09:52 AM
I can't get out of my mind Talib getting his ass beat by Wes Welker in the AFC Championship Game. I think he lacks toughness and is like a folding chair. I would rather have had DR-C stay but you can't change it now.

Talib has great coverage skills but I don't see him being the type you win championships with.

Ravage!!!
07-31-2014, 10:02 AM
I can't get out of my mind Talib getting his ass beat by Wes Welker in the AFC Championship Game. I think he lacks toughness and is like a folding chair. I would rather have had DR-C stay but you can't change it now.

Talib has great coverage skills but I don't see him being the type you win championships with.

I agree. I'm not a Talib fan, and think he's lost a step. I don't put him in the top echelon of CBs in the league, and feel that he will be sitting due to injury a lot this year....as always. I would rather have the younger guy....but the younger guy thought he could do better, and whiffed.

At the same time....you don't win Championships because of great corners.

Simple Jaded
07-31-2014, 11:04 AM

I agree. I'm not a Talib fan, and think he's lost a step. I don't put him in the top echelon of CBs in the league, and feel that he will be sitting due to injury a lot this year....as always. I would rather have the younger guy....but the younger guy thought he could do better, and whiffed.

At the same time....you don't win Championships because of great corners.

I'm afraid you're right, especially if the league cracks down on physical play in the secondary I would have preferred they kept DRC. Not a knock on Talib as much as I think DRC is better.

Talib is the least of Denver's concerns though, a talented player with a contract that protects the team if it doesn't work out.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-31-2014, 11:08 AM

I don't recall that. Are you sure you're not thinking about someone else? Talib only played the first half and was on DT the whole time.

Ravage!!!
07-31-2014, 11:13 AM
I don't recall that. Are you sure you're not thinking about someone else? Talib only played the first half and was on DT the whole time.

yeah... That was the game that the panzies complained that Welker gave a "cheap shot" to Talib. Which was a bullshit claim made by Belicheck purely to insult Welker. But Talib was on DT. Talib won't be covering the slot receiveres.

tripp
08-03-2014, 12:34 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZQU8nrtyL4

Welker just ran right into him, whether some people want to call it an intentional "pick" or not, but you're right, Talib was on DT.

Also to the other posters claiming difference in age, am I missing something? They're both 28, born in 1986. Looks like Talib had a better year than DRC with 4 INT's 35 tackles, whilst DRC has 3 INT's and 25 tackles.

BroncoWave
08-03-2014, 01:09 PM
It's typically not good for your CBs to have higher tackle numbers. It means they are giving up more receptions.

tripp
08-03-2014, 01:18 PM
It could also mean the Patriots defence was garbage last year because they had so many injuries.

atwater27
08-03-2014, 01:19 PM
It's typically not good for your CBs to have higher tackle numbers. It means they are giving up more receptions.
Or they are good in run support.

NightTerror218
08-03-2014, 01:32 PM

Talib is good in the run game as well. Reason tackles are higher.

MOtorboat
08-03-2014, 02:27 PM

Champ Bailey must have given up a ton of receptions.

Ziggy
08-03-2014, 02:49 PM
The Broncos defense needed to get physical. Talib brings that physicality far more than DRC did. There's a reason the Pats played him on the unstoppable Jimmy Graham last season. Graham had no catches in the game. Between Talib and Ward, our secondary went from soft to nasty. He brings exactly what this D needs.

DenBronx
08-03-2014, 03:28 PM
Talib might be more physical than DRC but I would have liked DRC to stay due to the fact he knew this defense already.

Also someone made a jab at a CB and if he had too many tackles it meant he was giving up alot of plays. That's simply not true. It means someone else gave up a play, the defense as a whole is giving up plays or that CB is flying around the field and making plays himself.

MOtorboat
08-03-2014, 03:31 PM
Talib might be more physical than DRC but I would have liked DRC to stay due to the fact he knew this defense already.

Also someone made a jab at a CB and if he had too many tackles it meant he was giving up alot of plays. That's simply not true. It means someone else gave up a play, the defense as a whole is giving up plays or that CB is flying around the field and making plays himself.

I made the point. It wasn't a jab.

Champ Bailey had a lot of tackles because he had the gall to shutdown the corner on runs, as well as on passes. It's an added benefit rather than any problem.

BroncoWave
08-03-2014, 05:15 PM
Champ Bailey must have given up a ton of receptions.

That's why I said typically. Obviously Champ is an exception.

DenBronx
08-03-2014, 08:25 PM

I made the point. It wasn't a jab.

Champ Bailey had a lot of tackles because he had the gall to shutdown the corner on runs, as well as on passes. It's an added benefit rather than any problem.

Then that basically just echoes what I said. Sorry, I might have misunderstood you then.

Defensive guys pad stats because they have skill and and ball awareness. Many times Champ made plays for the other guy who was supposed to make the play.

Cugel
08-05-2014, 10:27 PM
The Broncos defense needed to get physical. Talib brings that physicality far more than DRC did. There's a reason the Pats played him on the unstoppable Jimmy Graham last season. Graham had no catches in the game. Between Talib and Ward, our secondary went from soft to nasty. He brings exactly what this D needs.

This is EXACTLY why Elway and Fox let DRC go and concentrated on getting Talib. They wanted a more physical and intimidating defense at every level -- more like Seattle's. We'll see to what extent they got it, but Ward, Talib and Ware signings were all about.

TXBRONC
08-06-2014, 08:23 AM
This is EXACTLY why Elway and Fox let DRC go and concentrated on getting Talib. They wanted a more physical and intimidating defense at every level -- more like Seattle's. We'll see to what extent they got it, but Ward, Talib and Ware signings were all about.

From what I read awhile back Elway did attempt sign DRC to long term deal but DRC did was dragging his feet so Elway went another direction.

Ravage!!!
08-06-2014, 09:57 AM
From what I read awhile back Elway did attempt sign DRC to long term deal but DRC did was dragging his feet so Elway went another direction.

yeah.. They OFFERED to DRC first, and DRC wanted to try and see what other offers he would get before accepting...so Denver moved on. Talib signed the deal that was offered to DRC first. DRC messed up and lost big on that hesitation.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-06-2014, 10:27 AM
yeah.. They OFFERED to DRC first, and DRC wanted to try and see what other offers he would get before accepting...so Denver moved on. Talib signed the deal that was offered to DRC first. DRC messed up and lost big on that hesitation.

I think they actually gave Talib slightly more than what they offered DRC.

Ravage!!!
08-06-2014, 12:28 PM

Maybe. But I thought I read ( when it first happened) that they just turned around and signed Talib when DRC was 'looking at his options.' Was pretty much the same deal, and DRC signed for a LOT less somewhere else.

TXBRONC
08-06-2014, 12:39 PM

Maybe. But I thought I read ( when it first happened) that they just turned around and signed Talib when DRC was 'looking at his options.' Was pretty much the same deal, and DRC signed for a LOT less somewhere else.

I think Rav has the right of it. The deals were similar and the signing of Talib came pretty quickly after Elway had enough of DRC.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-06-2014, 01:00 PM
I think Rav has the right of it. The deals were similar and the signing of Talib came pretty quickly after Elway had enough of DRC.

Yes, they were very similar. I think Talib got a couple million more guaranteed.

Simple Jaded
08-07-2014, 10:28 PM
Banner day for Talib, most notably getting beat by an average WR and than getting hurt making a tackle.

ShaneFalco
08-08-2014, 07:42 AM
he got hurt?

Tned
08-08-2014, 07:52 AM
he got hurt?

Yes, not sure how bad. First it looked like a wrist, then it looked like they were working on his right shoulder. I went to bed, so never heard/read any update on him.

ShaneFalco
08-08-2014, 07:54 AM
That sucks.

DenBronx
08-08-2014, 08:23 AM
I think Talib will be ok. He did land a solid shot of the WR and it was all shoulder. If he goes that hard in preseason then id be worried if I were a WR in regular season. Even TJ Ward was getting in on the action and yes, Ware looks really fast!

Ziggy
08-08-2014, 08:47 AM
Dave Logan said on the radio last night that Talib had no injury.

TXBRONC
08-08-2014, 08:47 AM
Yes, not sure how bad. First it looked like a wrist, then it looked like they were working on his right shoulder. I went to bed, so never heard/read any update on him.

There is no mention of it in this morning's DPO fwiw.

Tned
08-08-2014, 04:26 PM
Twitter they are saying nothing serious. C j Anderson most serious injury with concussion.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

GEM
08-08-2014, 05:15 PM
I think he handled the speed of that RB the best way possible.