PDA

View Full Version : Emmanuel Sanders: Peyton Manning is “far better leader” than Ben Roethlisberger

Denver Native (Carol)
07-29-2014, 01:28 PM
After spending four seasons in Pittsburgh, Emmanuel Sanders signed a three-year deal with Denver this offseason to replace Eric Decker at the Broncos’ No. 2 wide receiver.

The Bronco newcomer has admitted repeatedly that he’s still getting acclimated with Denver’s system and playing alongside Peyton Manning. But on Monday, Sanders joined The Fan 104.3 in Denver and said that he’s noticed one considerable difference, among others, between Manning and his former quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger.

“I feel like Peyton is a far better leader, in terms of staying after practice, catching balls, wanting guys to get on the same page with him, things of that sort,” Sanders said. “This is the first time that I’ve had a quarterback that every single day after practice — no matter what his accolades, NFL MVP, Super Bowl ring — he keeps guys like me and [rookie receiver Cody] Latimer after practice. … He’s not one of those guys you’ve got to chase down. He’s going to be right in the same spot, ready to work, every single day. I just feel like that’s a difference from a mental standpoint.

rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2014/07/29/emmanuel-sanders-peyton-manning-better-leader-ben-roethlisberger/28470/

MOtorboat
07-29-2014, 01:30 PM
Sanders likes to talk.

Northman
07-29-2014, 01:37 PM
Well, Peyton is a perfectionist. Its good that Sanders is realizing that.

BroncoJoe
07-29-2014, 01:38 PM
Sanders likes to talk.

This sounds negative. Explain yourself.

MOtorboat
07-29-2014, 01:39 PM
This sounds negative. Explain yourself.

Not necessarily. But he's been quoted a lot this offseason, which means the Post knows they can always go to him for something interesting.

BroncoJoe
07-29-2014, 01:45 PM
You realize that when you use the word "but" it invalidates anything said before....

Is this a problem in your mind?

CoachChaz
07-29-2014, 01:47 PM
Probably not the "classiest" thing to go on record with. It's not like Ben is a bad player and hasnt been to and won more Super Bowls than PM. I dont know...just doesnt seem like something that needed to be said...even if it is true.

Northman
07-29-2014, 01:48 PM
You realize that when you use the word "but" it invalidates anything said before....

Im guessing he is thinking if things go south he could end up talking more than he should. lol

MOtorboat
07-29-2014, 01:48 PM

Could be. Hasn't been yet.

wcben
07-29-2014, 01:49 PM
Always loved Sanders in PiTT... I thought he was just as good if not better than Wallace when they were together.

After this season or even the Colts game I'm willing to bet I won't be alone.

Runamok
07-29-2014, 02:17 PM

Well, the analysts on NFL Network were shaking their heads in disbelief over these remarks. if that's any indication of what former players thought of Sanders'
comments which also struck me as a little over the top.

BroncoJoe
07-29-2014, 02:31 PM
Well, the analysts on NFL Network were shaking their heads in disbelief over these remarks. if that's any indication of what former players thought of Sanders'
comments which also struck me as a little over the top.

Or, he's just calling it like he sees it. Manning demands people (or voluntarily stays) stay after practice to work on routes and timing, while other QB's are a bit more of a primadonna.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-29-2014, 02:40 PM
From article:

“I feel like Peyton is a far better leader, in terms of staying after practice, catching balls, wanting guys to get on the same page with him, things of that sort,” Sanders said. “This is the first time that I’ve had a quarterback that every single day after practice — no matter what his accolades, NFL MVP, Super Bowl ring — he keeps guys like me and [rookie receiver Cody] Latimer after practice. … He’s not one of those guys you’ve got to chase down. He’s going to be right in the same spot, ready to work, every single day. I just feel like that’s a difference from a mental standpoint.

He said he feels Peyton is a far better leader, in terms of staying after practice, catching balls, wanting guys to get on the same page with, things of that sort. Everyone knows that Peyton is known for that. Apparently Ben does not do the same thing. I see nothing wrong with what Sanders said.

CoachChaz
07-29-2014, 02:42 PM
From article:

He said he feels Peyton is a far better leader, in terms of staying after practice, catching balls, wanting guys to get on the same page with, things of that sort. Everyone knows that Peyton is known for that. Apparently Ben does not do the same thing. I see nothing wrong with what Sanders said.

Unless of course a receiver left Denver and said these things about Peyton. It's easy to forgive when he's on our roster.

BroncoJoe
07-29-2014, 02:46 PM
Unless of course a receiver left Denver and said these things about Peyton. It's easy to forgive when he's on our roster.

This is very true as well...

DenBronx
07-29-2014, 03:18 PM
If Sanders is "talking alot" then it's probably because he's been getting interviewed alot. He's a new player on the team that is filling a role of a guy that was a touchdown magnet. So of course the media will talk to the guy.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-29-2014, 03:25 PM
Probably not the "classiest" thing to go on record with. It's not like Ben is a bad player and hasnt been to and won more Super Bowls than PM. I dont know...just doesnt seem like something that needed to be said...even if it is true.

I agree, he's a good interview because he's an eloquent speaker, but some things are just better left unsaid.

BroncoJoe
07-29-2014, 03:28 PM
I'll take another Shannon Shape any day of the week.

CoachChaz
07-29-2014, 03:55 PM
I'll take another Shannon Shape any day of the week.

Provided he produces similarly...yes

BroncoJoe
07-29-2014, 04:13 PM
Provided he produces similarly...yes

At the risk of attracting AGap into this thread....

The whole package, Coach. The whole package.

ShaneFalco
07-29-2014, 04:29 PM
Sanders drops alot of balls, maybe he should keep his mouth shut about his old team.

BroncoWave
07-29-2014, 04:57 PM
Sanders likes to talk.

OMG a WR that likes to talk? Stop the presses!

MOtorboat
07-29-2014, 05:22 PM
OMG a WR that likes to talk? Stop the presses!

Well, the idea is apparently foreign to some.

Magnificent Seven
07-29-2014, 05:47 PM
Sanders likes to talk.

Sanders is Sharpe 2.0? :D

Runamok
07-29-2014, 08:06 PM

Exactly. Don't matter who says it, it ain't too smart to go there true or not.

Runamok
07-29-2014, 08:08 PM
At the risk of attracting AGap into this thread....

The whole package, Coach. The whole package.

What's wrong with AGap.

Dzone
07-29-2014, 08:17 PM
He should have kept his mouth shut, but probably not as bad as TO calling garcia a fag

Simple Jaded
07-29-2014, 09:20 PM
It seems like more and more players in college/pro sports these days suffer from a severe case of diarrhea of the mouth.

Jsteve01
07-30-2014, 12:24 AM
it's the impetuous nature of youth. Speak before you think and all. I agree that he could have left it unsaid. Regardless, I think that he brings a much needed burner element to the team that was sorely lacking. Let him blow the top off of secondaries this year

Dapper Dan
07-30-2014, 01:23 AM
My first thought is... no shit.

Timmy!
07-30-2014, 05:16 AM
Until he starts tripping on yard lines I'm in his corner.

Hawgdriver
07-30-2014, 06:23 AM
file under: w/e

TXBRONC
07-30-2014, 09:48 AM
He should have kept his mouth shut, but probably not as bad as TO calling garcia a fag

There are worse things he could have said. He did put a qualifier on and said "in term of". If the roles were reversed I doubt I would get upset about it.

Ravage!!!
07-30-2014, 10:33 AM
Qualifier or not... TRUTH or not... generally its a BAD idea to say things that put past players down...OR... put the players you are with now OVER them. Because both directions, put the other player down. It's just bad taste. He could have said the same thing without comparing to past QBs and "leaders."

Its not something horrible... its just bad taste.

LawDog
07-30-2014, 04:02 PM
Peyton is best known for being meticulous and demanding and a perfectionist. He has long had the habit of going the extra 10 miles to develop timing and trust with his receivers.

Emmanuel is not some first or second year noob, he has established himself in the league as a starting quality receiver.

I missed the part where he said Ben was a horrible leader, or even that he was a so-so leader. He only said the Peyton was better - in the specific areas of putting in the extra work with his receivers, being there ready to go without having to ask him to stay after practice.

If he had said, "I'm happy to be in Denver and to finally be working with a quarterback who is both professional and willing to put in extra time with his receivers. Now I have a chance to develop my skills and excel as a receiver," then I would agree that he shouldn't have said anything.

All this blah blah about keeping his mouth shut is just off-season yackety-yack, in my humble opinion.

Dapper Dan
07-30-2014, 05:09 PM
Didn't Wes Welker hint around about how shitty it was to be in New England? No one bitched about that. Y'all must be racist.

Buff
07-30-2014, 05:37 PM
On one hand, Sanders probably should have taken the high road.

On the other hand, I can't really fault a guy for being honest.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-30-2014, 05:37 PM
Didn't Wes Welker hint around about how shitty it was to be in New England? No one bitched about that. Y'all must be racist.

No, I just dislike NE a lot more than Pitt. :-)

However, it was a little different. Welker's sarcasm wasn't directed at any of his old team-mates. It was directed at Billicek.

Dapper Dan
07-30-2014, 06:07 PM
No, I just dislike NE a lot more than Pitt. :-)

However, it was a little different. Welker's sarcasm wasn't directed at any of his old team-mates. It was directed at Billicek.

I hate both teams equally.

I don't see much of a difference between your old coach or your old QB.

Ravage!!!
07-31-2014, 10:34 AM

Players see themselves as equals and as friends amongst one another. Coaches are like your bosses. You can be friendly, and you can like your boss, but you still can/will bitch about your boss with your friends. Badmouthing another friend, to other friends, just makes you look bad.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-31-2014, 12:14 PM

Well, IMO, this is much ado about nothing. I didn't really think it was a big deal when Sanders said it. If it was me I probably wouldn't have said it. The same goes for Welker. I probably wouldn't have said what Welker said myself, but it's not a big deal.

I think saying the opinions here are race based is a huge stretch, and unnecessary.

Dapper Dan
07-31-2014, 12:34 PM
Players see themselves as equals and as friends amongst one another. Coaches are like your bosses. You can be friendly, and you can like your boss, but you still can/will bitch about your boss with your friends. Badmouthing another friend, to other friends, just makes you look bad.

I'm not sure how any of that relates to those two situations.

Badmouthing your boss with your coworkers causes a negative work environment, IMO.