PDA

View Full Version : From Ellis & Elway press conferences today

Denver Native (Carol)
07-23-2014, 02:58 PM
This is not the whole press conferences. If/when the Broncos put them on their site, I will post links

Joe Ellis
http://www.nfl.com/videos/denver-broncos/0ap2000000367669/Joe-Ellis-It-s-a-day-of-sadness-for-us

John Elway - he broke down a couple of times
http://www.nfl.com/videos/denver-broncos/0ap2000000367669/Joe-Ellis-It-s-a-day-of-sadness-for-us

Denver Native (Carol)
07-23-2014, 03:43 PM
First one up on Broncos' website - Joe Ellis. After listening to Joe, I have more respect for him than I had previously. Definitely looks like Joe took this very hard.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Joe-Ellis-reflects-on-Owner-Pat-Bowlen/a6ca1bee-06b2-4b05-b50c-f67877c94903

Just listened to it - not sure why they did not put the whole conference with Joe up - it was very long

Denver Native (Carol)
07-23-2014, 04:05 PM
Here is what they have from #7 - John was very emotional

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Elway-This-place-will-never-be-the-same/63e7c9a7-bdbf-46a0-9d49-f7cab21b157e

Buff
07-23-2014, 04:09 PM
I thought Ellis did a nice job from what I heard on the radio. Was very deferential saying that this is still Pat's team.

I got the impression that Pat Bowlen as we knew him is gone forever and that they waited basically as long as possible to make this move.

tomjonesrocks
07-23-2014, 04:10 PM
Very, very difficult to watch Elway there. The intense sadness...

What a privilege it would be to have that kind of love and respect for a man you work for.

spikerman
07-23-2014, 04:26 PM
This is tragic, but I wonder why they waited until the eve of training camp to announce this. Hopefully it didn't take the players by surprise. I would think they would want everybody completely focused.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-23-2014, 04:27 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – John Elway sat down to talk about Pat Bowlen, and after a few opening words there was silence.

Elway looked down, trying to compose himself. After a long pause he finally exhaled loudly. It never got easier.

On Wednesday the Broncos announced that Bowlen, the team's owner for 30 years, is suffering from Alzheimer’s disease. He has stepped down completely from running the team. The sadness at the Broncos' facility, as players reported for training camp, was palpable. Nobody in the organization was hit harder by the news than Elway.

Not long after Elway, the team's general manager, continued to speak about Bowlen, following his long pause, he started crying. It was as emotional as he has been in public since his retirement media conference in 1999.

rest - plus video - http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/john-elway-breaks-down-in-tears-talking-about-broncos-owner-pat-bowlen-204326610.html

Denver Native (Carol)
07-23-2014, 04:32 PM
This is tragic, but I wonder why they waited until the eve of training camp to announce this. Hopefully it didn't take the players by surprise. I would think they would want everybody completely focused.

The explanation that Ellis gave was with training camp starting, there would be many questions as to where Pat was, so they felt it was better to announce it.

Buff
07-23-2014, 04:33 PM

My gut says that they waited as long as humanly possible to make the announcement - and that they made the call out of necessity. I think it's been more widely known and publicized within Dove Valley. Ellis alluded to the fact that the media has shown good restraint in not reporting his condition in more detail.

Edmonton Bronco Fan (2)
07-23-2014, 04:57 PM
Watching Elway choked me up. Very hard to watch.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-23-2014, 05:28 PM
Coach Fox speaking on Mr. B's Leadership, plus some football stuff

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Head-Coach-John-Fox-on-Bowlens-Leadership/b91fd48c-9e31-4627-9647-9b16fad52e33

Ware on Pat Bowlen's Impact

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Ware-on-Pat-Bowlens-Impact/3a52a78b-dc87-4b8b-9fd9-137cf11089fc

Denver Native (Carol)
07-23-2014, 05:36 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Pat Bowlen has always had two goals for the Broncos: to win, and to win the right way.

Despite Wednesday’s announcement that he will be stepping back from the organization to focus on his health, the organization maintains those same priorities.

Adjusting to Bowlen’s absence around the facilities will take time, but the 2014 season looms. Just as Bowlen would want, the team is preparing the same way it usually would, determined to accomplish his objectives.

“It is important to follow out the mandates that Pat put on us every year,” said Broncos President and CEO Joe Ellis. “Listen, everybody -- his family, his children, his brother, myself, John Elway -- we all wish Pat could come through the door and do what he did so well. We are all here for him. But he has left us with a blueprint that is easy to follow.

"We've got to abide by that and do right by it. And we will.”

rest - more from Ellis and John speaking, plus video
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Bowlen-Set-Precedent-for-Success-/386d5bc1-18d0-44c5-bcd6-1eaeff79389e

Northman
07-23-2014, 05:36 PM
Here is what they have from #7 - John was very emotional

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Elway-This-place-will-never-be-the-same/63e7c9a7-bdbf-46a0-9d49-f7cab21b157e

Yea, he was struggling and i felt for him. Totally understand his position.

Northman
07-23-2014, 05:39 PM
Watching John, now im tearing up. So heartbreaking.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-23-2014, 05:44 PM
Great article, plus more from Ellis, #7
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_26202930/john-elway-pat-bowlen-stepping-down-broncos-owner-reaction

Plus this video of #7 speaking - different things from other videos - John is answering questions
http://blogs.denverpost.com/mobilenews/2014/07/23/watch-john-elway-pat-bowlen/

Denver Native (Carol)
07-23-2014, 05:53 PM

Just listened to Ron Zappollo and Mike Adams on ch9, and they both said that the strongest relation with anyone on the Broncos, was Pat and John Elway - like a father/son relationship, and they both knew this would be very hard for John to talk about.

DenBronx
07-23-2014, 06:29 PM

Just listened to Ron Zappollo and Mike Adams on ch9, and they both said that the strongest relation with anyone on the Broncos, was Pat and John Elway - like a father/son relationship, and they both knew this would be very hard for John to talk about.

Very understandable. They have always been close. Pat has been sort of like Johns father figure/role model since Jack Elway passed away.

tomjonesrocks
07-23-2014, 06:30 PM
I thought Ellis did a nice job from what I heard on the radio. Was very deferential saying that this is still Pat's team. I got the impression that Pat Bowlen as we knew him is gone forever and that they waited basically as long as possible to make this move.

Unfortunately I'd have to assume that to likely be correct based on Elway's gut wrenching comments and that these rumors go back to at least the Zimmerman HOF speech in '08.

That's a long time already to suffer with this miserable, cruel disease...

pnbronco
07-23-2014, 06:45 PM
My gut says that they waited as long as humanly possible to make the announcement - and that they made the call out of necessity. I think it's been more widely known and publicized within Dove Valley. Ellis alluded to the fact that the media has shown good restraint in not reporting his condition in more detail.

That's how I see it too Buff. Everyone in the organization knew and those that have a lot of interaction with the Broncos knew, but out of respect of for the family they didn't make the announcement till the family was ready to.

Mr. Bowlen did go to the office every single day that he was in town. He had his own garage there and had a driver when he was not able to drive himself anymore. I think they were hoping that he would still be able to be more active this year but as the season got closer it was becoming more apparent that was not going to happen so they wanted to release a statement on their terms as is should be.

tomjonesrocks
07-23-2014, 08:18 PM
That's how I see it too Buff. Everyone in the organization knew and those that have a lot of interaction with the Broncos knew, but out of respect of for the family they didn't make the announcement till the family was ready to. Mr. Bowlen did go to the office every single day that he was in town. He had his own garage there and had a driver when he was not able to drive himself anymore. I think they were hoping that he would still be able to be more active this year but as the season got closer it was becoming more apparent that was not going to happen so they wanted to release a statement on their terms as is should be.

So the press for once was classy and allowed Bowlen to keep his dignity -- except for Woody Paige (of Bowlen can't remember the late 80s fame) #douche

spikerman
07-23-2014, 08:19 PM
Someone very close to me has Alzheimer's and it's awful. I just hope that they didn't come out with it now because the end is near.

spikerman
07-23-2014, 08:19 PM
#ThisonesforPat

tomjonesrocks
07-23-2014, 08:29 PM
#ThisonesforPat

If this team needed more motivation...

But Pat already has XXXIII in his trophy case. #nothingToProve

Buff
07-23-2014, 08:43 PM
Someone very close to me has Alzheimer's and it's awful. I just hope that they didn't come out with it now because the end is near.

As you know, the awful part of alzheimers is that the mind shuts down before the body... Based on everything that has been said publicly, my impression is that Pat has basically already slid past the point of no return mentally, but I don't think that necessarily means that death is imminent.

The tone of the press conference would lead one to believe that they are already basically grieving his loss though.

tomjonesrocks
07-23-2014, 08:52 PM
The tone of the press conference would lead one to believe that they are already basically grieving his loss though.

No disputing that. Elway was really struggling in particular--it was very moving and gut-wrenching.

spikerman
07-23-2014, 08:53 PM
As you know, the awful part of alzheimers is that the mind shuts down before the body... Based on everything that has been said publicly, my impression is that Pat has basically already slid past the point of no return mentally, but I don't think that necessarily means that death is imminent.

Yes, that's the worst part. Apparently he kept himself in very good shape physically which means that he could last for a while. Depending on how far along he is though he could deteriorate quickly. It's awful for the family because their loved ones are still alive, but they're no longer the people they knew. My prayers go out to the Bowlen family. It's a terrible disease.

Tned
07-23-2014, 09:17 PM
I had to search for the full videos. Didn't want the cut down version.

Here's Joe Ellis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRfe9V9KqeQ

Tned
07-23-2014, 09:52 PM
First one up on Broncos' website - Joe Ellis. After listening to Joe, I have more respect for him than I had previously. Definitely looks like Joe took this very hard.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Joe-Ellis-reflects-on-Owner-Pat-Bowlen/a6ca1bee-06b2-4b05-b50c-f67877c94903

Just listened to it - not sure why they did not put the whole conference with Joe up - it was very long

I know a lot of people have not been pro Ellis around here, mostly because they have made some very bad assumptions about certain things that were/were not Ellis' fault.
As I have indicated in the past, I have a lot more respect for Joe than most fans on here (won't go into all the reasons why). I am very, very confident that the Broncos are in great hands with him at the wheel.

Having Elway work for Ellis as GM gives me even more confidence, because as excited as I was when Elway came on board, I have to say he's even exceeded my hopes, because by all accounts Elway is a guy that has jumped in and committed himself 110%, and what he didn't know about running a football team, he has learned.

I think the Broncos are in good hands, no matter how sad it is about what Pat Bowlen and his family are going through. I would love to have seen Mr. Bowlen enjoy the team for another 10 or 20 years.

Tned
07-23-2014, 09:55 PM
John Elway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c23Y5Ki8XjY

Tned
07-23-2014, 09:55 PM
Joe Ellis interview with Lionel on 7News

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaSLDctXU8E

pnbronco
07-23-2014, 10:18 PM
Thanks for posting those Tned. I really like what Ellis said about the Broncos being a public trust. That he didn't want to deceive the fans but it is really hard for him to reveal something this private.

I did not know that he had 7 children and the many of them are working either for the Broncos or the NFL. I actually found this information comforting. I know that Joe and John will continue to follow the wishes of Mr. Bowlen and the Broncos are in good hands. Today was just tough and that only means that we all love the same thing and that's not a bad thing.

Tned
07-23-2014, 10:25 PM
Thanks for posting those Tned. I really like what Ellis said about the Broncos being a public trust. That he didn't want to deceive the fans but it is really hard for him to reveal something this private.

I did not know that he had 7 children and the many of them are working either for the Broncos or the NFL. I actually found this information comforting. I know that Joe and John will continue to follow the wishes of Mr. Bowlen and the Broncos are in good hands. Today was just tough and that only means that we all love the same thing and that's not a bad thing.

I was surprised to read in the DP article this morning that several of his children were working for the Broncos or NFL. Up to this point, I sort of had the impression that it was just him, and that the children didn't really have interest in the Broncos (might be overstating that, but with other sports teams, you often hear more about other family members in the organization).

Tned
07-23-2014, 10:31 PM
Ok, Elway and Ellis' full press conferences are now up on DB.com. When I looked earlier, only the short ones are there. These are now longer than the youtube videos I posed, so probably include the question and answer sessions:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/video-browser/most-recent-videos.html

pnbronco
07-23-2014, 10:48 PM
Ok, Elway and Ellis' full press conferences are now up on DB.com. When I looked earlier, only the short ones are there. These are now longer than the youtube videos I posed, so probably include the question and answer sessions:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/video-browser/most-recent-videos.html

Thanks for doing that Tned....after I stopped crying I did enjoy hearing what John had to say about going forward.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that didn't know about several of his children being involved in the NFL. In the back of my mind I had thought that was the reason that they brought John in to take over as a owner DTR. I'm going to assume that the reason we have not read about them is that they needed to learn the business from the bottom up, so that's a very good thing for the Bronco Family.

Tned
07-23-2014, 10:57 PM
Thanks for doing that Tned....after I stopped crying I did enjoy hearing what John had to say about going forward.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that didn't know about several of his children being involved in the NFL. In the back of my mind I had thought that was the reason that they brought John in to take over as a owner DTR. I'm going to assume that the reason we have not read about them is that they needed to learn the business from the bottom up, so that's a very good thing for the Bronco Family.

Plus, based on what Joe said, Mr. Bowlen was very private and felt the Broncos should be in the public spot light, not the Bowlens. I can only speculate, but based on all we are hearing, I'm guessing that wasn't just because he wanted his privacy, but instead his belief that it should all be about the "Broncos" rather than his "ownership" of the Broncos. In stark contrast to Jerry Jones and the Cowboys for instance.

pnbronco
07-23-2014, 11:23 PM
^^ Amen to that Tned....man we are so lucky and today I'm finding out just how very, very lucky we are to have had Mr. Bowlen buy the team.

Simple Jaded
07-24-2014, 12:10 AM
Joe Ellis, ugh.

Valar Morghulis
07-26-2014, 02:13 AM
apparently since Mr Bowlen bought the team, only 2 other teams have a better winning record and i think only the Pats have been to more superbowls (but i could be wrong about the specifics of the success - either way, since he took ownership, we have had some run.)