PDA

View Full Version : Where Are They Now - John Mobley

Broncos Mtnman
11-30-2007, 08:07 PM
For many NFL players, when their playing days come to an end, their passion becomes some sort of business venture.

Whether it's their competitive nature driving them to succeed in the business world or simply the desire to stay busy, many times you'll see former players gracing our TV screens as broadcast analysts, pitchmen for some new product, or even on Dancing With The Stars.

Others prefer to stay in the background as they pursue new interests, whether it's starting a new business, investing in an existing one, or living out a dream career that was put on hold by their days in the NFL.

Bur for former Broncos linebacker John Mobley, none of these apply.

Mobley, firmly cemented in Broncos lore with his pass breakup on the final play of Super Bowl XXXII, has taken a bit more relaxed approach to his retirement in Orlando, FL.

"(I'm) not (doing) much at all, man," Mobley said. "Just watching my kids grow up, doing a lot of golfing and a little bit of fishing. That's it. Just keeping busy enough."

Not a bad way to spend your time, right?

Mobley, who played his last game as a Bronco in 2003, has two daughters, ages 16 and 10, and a five-year-old son, and he appreciates the opportunity to be an active parent.

"You take it for granted when you're playing, but they grow so fast," Mobley said. "There's not a lot of time to catch these moments. I just enjoy it and thank God every day that I'm able to watch them every morning wake up and go out and do what they're supposed to do, and fulfill their dreams as well."

Growing up in Pennsylvania, and then spending many a snowy winter in Denver, Mobley said he's enjoying the sunnier climate in Florida.

"I love this weather," Mobley said. "It's sunny every day. You wake up and the sun's shining, birds chirping. It just makes you want to get out and do something prosperous."

And what does sunny weather mean? More golf. After leaving the frantic pace of the football field and transitioning into an often equally hectic home life with three children, golf is Mobley's escape.

"It's relaxing. Its so tranquil out there on the golf course," Mobley said. "I'm a nature lover anyway, so to get out there and it's nothing but you and a lot of green grass, trees, just nature. There's a certain type of (serenity) it has that I don't think you can get anywhere else."

So while it may be hard to envision a linebacker, often the type of player involved in the biggest collisions and most frenzied action on the field, to be kicking back in sunny Florida, that's precisely what Mobley has been up to.

-Charlie O'Brien

champbronc2
11-30-2007, 09:40 PM
That's good to hear.

Seems to be a very deep intellectual.

East Coast Fan
12-01-2007, 10:23 PM
Mobley played his college ball 1/2 hour away from me here at Kutztown University. It's pronounced "Koots town" not "Cuts town" like most of the announcers used to say! :D