PDA

View Full Version : Pat Bowlen is stepping down, coping with Alzheimer's

MOtorboat
07-23-2014, 03:10 AM
Not going to lie. This stopped me in my tracks.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_26199148/pat-bowlen-resigns-control-denver-broncos-acknowledges-dealing-alzheimers-disease

Timmy!
07-23-2014, 03:20 AM
"This one's for Pat"

elsid13
07-23-2014, 04:44 AM
Tough road ahead for him and his family. I wish him the best.

Northman
07-23-2014, 04:53 AM
Sad to see but i think there has been rumors about his health for a little while now. Wish him the best though.

VonDoom
07-23-2014, 06:11 AM
Yeah, this was rough to wake up to. I wish him and his family the best. This is one of the toughest diseases that anyone can deal with.

Anyone know why this broke in the middle of the night?

sneakers
07-23-2014, 06:30 AM
Getting old sucks ass

sneakers
07-23-2014, 06:31 AM
Don't the Broncos have the 2nd most wins in the NFL since he took over?

Shazam!
07-23-2014, 06:46 AM
Horrible news.

BroncoJoe
07-23-2014, 07:10 AM
Just awful.

Tned
07-23-2014, 07:15 AM
Sad news. It was clear his health was failing, but I really hoped that the Broncos would win another Super Bowl while Mr. Bowlen could still enjoy it. Hopefully, if they win this year, he can and will enjoy it.

Just a few days ago I was talking with a few friends about the Broncos. They were talking about how great a franchise the Broncos have been for so long, and how it must go back to his commitment to win, but not meddling in football operations the way Jerry Jones and some owners do.

One of the things you consistently have heard over the past decades is how classy an organization the Broncos are, and that is a tribute to Pat Bowlen. i remember back in the late '80s, or probably early '90s, some talk about something as simple (but expensive) as giving players their own hotel room on the road rather than making them bunk together, was something that players really appreciated, because it was a place where Mr. Bowlen was spending money to make his players comfortable and feel appreciated.

GEM
07-23-2014, 07:30 AM
I feel so sad. This is definitely a loss, Bowlen is top notch. Ugh.

DenBronx
07-23-2014, 07:33 AM
It's been a pleasure having Pat as an owner of my favorite team. He's not got involved in coaching decisions and has done everything in his power to make us contenders. He knew a few years back his health was on the decline and that's why I think he has set Elway up to take over. Going to miss Bowlen...

Tned
07-23-2014, 07:39 AM
It's been a pleasure having Pat as an owner of my favorite team. He's not got involved in coaching decisions and has done everything in his power to make us contenders. He knew a few years back his health was on the decline and that's why I think he has set Elway up to take over. Going to miss Bowlen...

Yes, between Ellis on the business side of things and Elway on the football side of things, it looks like Mr. Bowlen is leaving the Broncos in a good position to continue what he has built. I'm glad he put the Broncos in trust for his children and his intention is for the Broncos to stay in his family. I think as long as Ellis and Elway are running things, the Broncos will continue to be a class organization.

VonDoom
07-23-2014, 07:53 AM
Yes, between Ellis on the business side of things and Elway on the football side of things, it looks like Mr. Bowlen is leaving the Broncos in a good position to continue what he has built. I'm glad he put the Broncos in trust for his children and his intention is for the Broncos to stay in his family. I think as long as Ellis and Elway are running things, the Broncos will continue to be a class organization.

I agree with this entirely. He was smart to think ahead, and the organization seems to be in good hands. If he had been more of a power monger, this could have been a real crap storm for the team. I'm thankful he's not that kind of guy.

Ugh, this is still weighing on my mind, though.

chazoe60
07-23-2014, 07:54 AM
Man, that sucks.

VonDoom
07-23-2014, 07:59 AM

Yeah, according to their media guide, they're second only to SF in wins since 1984. They also have the fewest losing seasons (five) in that time period. It's a reminder of just how successful we have been with Bowlen at the head. Hell, I'm too young to even remember any time before the Bowlen era.

TXBRONC
07-23-2014, 08:12 AM
This is sad. He is the best owner the Broncos ever had.

MNPatsFan
07-23-2014, 08:15 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with Pat Bowlen and his family as he deals with and fights this devastating disease/condition.

He definitely was a great owner for the Broncos. I just wish he had kept the stadium name of Mile High rather than going with the convoluted Invesco at Mile High Stadium or whatever its official name is.

Skinny
07-23-2014, 08:28 AM
Best wishes to pat and his family. This truly sucks.

tomjonesrocks
07-23-2014, 08:53 AM
Getting old sucks ass

He's really not that old. Would have been just past retirement age when the rumors set in.

That's truly sad news. There is no dignity at the end with that disease. Heartbreaking to hear anyone diagnosed with that.

MileHighCrew
07-23-2014, 08:59 AM
Good luck Pat and to your family. Wow sad

Dapper Dan
07-23-2014, 09:11 AM
Ugh. Same thing with Pat Summit. I really don't like this disease.

GEM
07-23-2014, 09:11 AM
Am I the only sappy dumbass that cried when I read this stuff this morning? :(

GEM
07-23-2014, 09:17 AM
Statement from Pat Bowlen's wife, Annabel, on Mr. B. turning over control of the Denver Broncos:
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — The Denver Broncos on Wednesday released the following statement from Annabel Bowlen, wife of Broncos Owner Pat Bowlen:
“As many in the Denver community and around the National Football League have speculated, my husband, Pat, has very bravely and quietly battled Alzheimer’s disease for the last few years. He has elected to keep his condition private because he has strongly believed, and often said, ‘It’s not about me.’
“Pat has always wanted the focus to be solely on the Denver Broncos and the great fans who have supported this team with such passion during his 30 years as owner. My family is deeply saddened that Pat’s health no longer allows him to oversee the Broncos, which has led to this public acknowledgment of such a personal health condition.
“Alzheimer’s has taken so much from Pat, but it will never take away his love for the Denver Broncos and his sincere appreciation for the fans.
“My family will stand strong with Pat as he continues his courageous fight against a disease that is unfortunately all too common. One in nine people age 65 and older has Alzheimer’s, and my family is experiencing the same difficult emotions that so many have felt when someone they love and respect is afflicted with this condition.
“Although we wish Pat were in better health, he developed a plan many years ago for the continuation of his values with the hope of keeping the Broncos in the Bowlen family. I know that his goals will be effectively implemented by Joe Ellis, who has worked with Pat for nearly his entire ownership of the Broncos.
“Long-term, I fully support Pat’s hope of keeping the Denver Broncos in the Bowlen family.
“I am extremely proud of Pat’s incredible accomplishments as owner of the Broncos, most notably the winning tradition he has established and the positive impact he has made in our community. Pat would be the first to say that none of the Broncos’ success would be possible without the players, coaches, employees and fans whom he’s shared such a strong connection with over the years.
“On behalf of Pat and the rest of my family, I want to thank all Broncos fans for their overwhelming support and how respectful they continue to be of his privacy. We look forward to sharing many more successful seasons of Denver Broncos football with you.”

Got off 104.3 The Fan's Facebook page.

CoachChaz
07-23-2014, 09:19 AM
Usually glad that I tend to be loyal to the colors and the logo and not the names so much. Saves a lot of grief.

BroncoNut
07-23-2014, 09:24 AM
good luck to him and his family

MOtorboat
07-23-2014, 11:01 AM

I think the media guide referenced above includes playoff wins, because regular season Denver (1983-2013) is third behind San Francisco and New England. And New England has just one more win and .002 better winning percentage (.604 to .602, NE 299-196-0, Den 298-196-1).

pnbronco
07-23-2014, 11:07 AM
This is really sad. About 4 years ago when I saw him I knew something was different, his hand was starting to shake. Then last year he could no longer drive himself anywhere and I had heard it was Alzheimer from several different people, but he was still trying to be Mr. Bowlen. This year when I saw him he had not only a driver but it looked like a caretaker with him. Every time I saw him I told him how grateful I was to everything he has done for the Denver Broncos. It's interesting that the last major decision he made was the total remodel of Dove Valley, including a inside practice field. Even as he has struggled he is still trying to do the best thing for the team.

He and his family will be in my prayers.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-23-2014, 11:38 AM
Dear Mr. B

My sincerest thanks - you are definitely a "first class" person, who did whatever it took to give Denver Broncos fans everywhere, a "first class" organization, rather than just wanting to line your pockets.

God Bless you and your family. Mr. B, you are definitely the BEST:salute::salute::salute:

slim
07-23-2014, 11:45 AM
Brutal.

SWotRR
07-23-2014, 12:09 PM
Best wishes Mr. Bowlen. Thank you for all your time and effort to make the Broncos team and organization the best that it can be. You made it easy for us fans to be proud of the orange and blue. Hopefully the team can bring home another championship or two for him. I also hope the vision and standards he has established will continue so long as the team is around.

Edmonton Bronco Fan (2)
07-23-2014, 12:15 PM
I have gone through this disease with my Grandpa and seen first hand how emotionally taxing it is for all involved. It's a real reminder of the things we take for granted and to appreciate the time we have together. Nobody should have to lose every ounce of themselves piece by piece.

I can't help but shed a tear at this news. Although it has long been speculated and most in the know had subtlety hinted at this, it's a very sad day. First and foremost, it breaks my heart that Pat, Annabel, his children and his friends and family have to suffer through this horrible, heartless, unfair disease - life isn't fair; something which rings more true when a person like Mr. B, probably the most passionate, genuine, humble, classy, compassionate, and straight up good person you'll ever meet has to go through something like this. Words can't begin to encapsulate this man and what he's done for Denver, Colorado and the rest of the NFL. It will be tough not seeing him on the sidelines at games just as I'm sure it will be tough on the players and personnel not seeing him around Dove Valley and Mile High.

My best to Pat Bowlen and his family, keeping them in my thoughts and prayers. And I think I speak for all Broncos fans when I say that this year, we're winning it all for Mr. B. Get it done boys!

Denver Native (Carol)
07-23-2014, 12:43 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — Current and former Broncos players — as well as those from around the NFL — took to Twitter and social media on Wednesday morning as word came that owner Pat Bowlen was relinquishing control of the organization as he battles Alzheimer’s disease.

A sampling of the reaction:

Denver Broncos ✔ @Broncos

Retweet to show your support for Denver Broncos Owner Pat Bowlen in his fight against Alzheimer’s disease.
6:57 AM - 23 Jul 2014

John Elway ✔ @johnelway

Mr. B is a Hall of Fame owner and a great friend. This is a sad day for all of us. We support him, respect him & stand by him 100 percent!

Robert Ayers Jr ✔ @1_900_ayersjr

FOR 5 YEARS OF MY LIFE FROM 2009-2013 I HAD THE HONOR OF PLAYING FOR MR. PAT BOWLEN.. A MAN THAT… http://instagram.com/p/qyyFTgyUD1/

Elvis Dumervil ✔ @EKD92

I'm so very grateful to have began my career as a Denver Bronco and to have been under the leadership of a owner like Pat Bowlen#1stClass

Zane Beadles ✔ @zanebeadles

I didn't know Mr B well, but his leadership was always evident. I feel fortunate to have started my career in Denver #PrayersForMrB @Broncos

Brennan Clay @BrennanClay24

Sad day for #broncoscountry ..prayers are with Mr. Pat Bowlen and his family ..we support you in your fight ..

Ed McCaffrey @87ed

Words can't express the love, respect & gratitude I have for Pat Bowlen. He set the standard for team ownership. Keep Mr. B in your prayers.

byron chamberlain ✔ @bc_chamberlain

Sad news to hear Pat Bowlen will be stepping down from the #Broncos Thank You for all you've done for me, my family

Bernard Kosar @BernieKosarQB

Football training Camp in the air,PRAYERS for Pat Bowlen,His leadership should be an Example To Others

OU Club of Colorado @OUClubofCO

Our thoughts & prayers are with Pat #Bowlen & his family as they deal with that terrible disease. Stay Sooner Strong!

Peter King ✔ @SI_PeterKing

Best wishes to Pat Bowlen and his family as he battles Alzheimer's.

Josina Anderson ✔ @JosinaAnderson

#Broncos owner Pat Bowlen is a class act with a blue chip organization. Every time I ran into him he said hello or gave out a friendly hug.

Albert Breer ✔ @AlbertBreer

Pat Bowlen is the only owner in NFL history to get to 300 wins in his first 30 seasons, and has been to a record-tying six Super Bowls.

http://kdvr.com/2014/07/23/reactions-pour-in-to-pat-bowlen-giving-up-control-of-broncos/

Will Blackmon ✔ @willblackmon

Praying for #PatBowlen #Broncos

aberdien
07-23-2014, 12:48 PM
That's a bummer. Great owner, often underappreciated.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-23-2014, 12:51 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-am/0ap2000000367562/Mike-Klis-breaks-down-Bowlen-s-legacy

BigDaddyBronco
07-23-2014, 01:05 PM
Great owner, and a man who really represented the city and the NFL well. Alzheimers is such a brutal disease.

It also explains why he seemed so out of touch with the McDaniels disaster.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-23-2014, 01:07 PM
Brian Dawkins ✔ @BrianDawkins

Want to take this moment to thank Mr Bowlen for taking a chance on me & bringing me to where I still reside. Here in Denver!! #Prayers

Jim Saccomano @broncos_sacco

Thanks to all those who have such kinds words regarding Pat Bowlen. One of those times when I have 1,000s of thoughts... #fb

DBC_Eboni @DBC_Eboni

@BroncosCheer were truly blessed to have you.You took great care of us & for that we are so grateful Thanks for 30 outstanding yrs Mr Bowlen

DBC_Ashley @DBC_Ashley

Thank you Mr. Bowlen for 30 wonderful years w/ the @Broncos!! DBC is better having had your support & now we support you.. #ThisOnesForYou

Michelle Beisner ✔ @MichelleBeisner

Professionally, @Broncos owner Pat Bowlen gave me sound advice and guidance. I will forever be indebted to him. #ThankYouMrBowlen #prayin4U

Adam Schefter ✔ @AdamSchefter

Pat Bowlen steps down as Broncos' owner due to Alzheimer's, per the Denver Post. Bowlen is one of best owners in all of sports.

Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi

In many ways, Pat Bowlen was the perfect owner. Smart. Ultra competitive. Did anything to win. Did anything to avoid the spotlight.

Andy Lindahl @andy850KOA

Denver has been lucky to have Mr. Bowlen. So many players you talk to speak of their love for him. He set the tone for what this has become.

Tned
07-23-2014, 01:08 PM

Cry, no. But, I was really bumbed this morning when I woke up to the news. Even though it's not too surprising considering the previous reports and lack of public speaking appearances for quite some time, it's still very sad. I've been really hoping the Broncos would win a SB soon enough for Mr. Bowlen to enjoy it. Hopefully, they can this year and he will/can.

pnbronco
07-23-2014, 01:19 PM

No hon you're not the only one. I didn't at first because I kind of knew what was going on. But watching Joe Ellis press conference I started to cry....the reality of it all was so out there.

pnbronco
07-23-2014, 01:25 PM
OK now seeing John trying to not loose it is making me sob like a baby.... What a sad, sad day for all of Bronco Country.

pnbronco
07-23-2014, 01:40 PM
So anyone else that's watching this press conference, man John is special.... He was so broken up but once he started talking football he is bringing back that hope that we have a special team and they need to work as a team.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-23-2014, 01:41 PM
Joe Ellis spoke first, John has been speaking for a while, and is still speaking. When this is all over, I will start a new thread, which will include all, but if anyone wants to watch now - I think Coach Fox will also speak after #7

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/BTV-LIVE-Player-Arrival-Day/ea02216d-a342-46a7-984e-b3be35686e8a

tomjonesrocks
07-23-2014, 01:56 PM

I'm getting there...

Is Bowlen in attendance?

pnbronco
07-23-2014, 02:00 PM
I'm getting there...

Is Bowlen in attendance?

I don't think so. Both Mr. Ellis and John said that it was the first day he didn't walk through the door. I think it would just be to hard on him and the family to be there. Plus they want to protect his privacy and keep the press away.

pnbronco
07-23-2014, 02:02 PM
Joe Ellis spoke first, John has been speaking for a while, and is still speaking. When this is all over, I will start a new thread, which will include all, but if anyone wants to watch now - I think Coach Fox will also speak after #7

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/BTV-LIVE-Player-Arrival-Day/ea02216d-a342-46a7-984e-b3be35686e8a

Thank you so much Carol for keeping everyone up to date with what's going on. Even in the really sad days it helps to see we are all in the same boat and this is tough on everyone.

dogfish
07-23-2014, 02:38 PM
Now it's Elway time. . .

UnderArmour
07-23-2014, 02:59 PM
The Broncos have been a competitive team for the entirety of Bowlen's ownership. A few years ago, there were rumblings that Bowlen's health was deteriorating and today we find out that the speculation was not just speculation. It was clear that Bowlen cared more about the success of the team than the success of his wallet. Bowlen's standard was always that the Broncos should compete for a Super Bowl every year, and as a fan I am glad that the owner of the team is all about winning. Bowlen kept arrogant coaches and GMs from dropping those standards. "Rebuilding" was not a word that Bowlen ever let go through the team facilities. He weeded out Shannahan and McDaniels right as they felt their seats were comfy despite missing the playoffs for a combined five consecutive seasons rather than lose his fanbase and his franchise. We were all frustrated during that drought, but to have an owner that is just as frustrated and actually cares about the success of his team is something that will be sorely missed. I hope whoever in the Bowlen family that takes the reigns shares that same love for the franchise that Pat did. Wish him the best.

GEM
07-23-2014, 03:47 PM
No hon you're not the only one. I didn't at first because I kind of knew what was going on. But watching Joe Ellis press conference I started to cry....the reality of it all was so out there.

I knew something was off, but hearing it and hearing that he now travels with a caretaker and such just stinks. He took such good care of us fans with the product that it stinks to see him go through this. It's just such a brutal disease. :(

KC is a toilet
07-23-2014, 04:04 PM
This will make your blood boil.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=10761885&postcount=21

Dzone
07-23-2014, 04:08 PM
Was thinking back to when the broncos practiced in Greeley. Pat Bowlen used to ride his bike from denver to greeley.Anyone remember that? I think he did triathlons back then.

GEM
07-23-2014, 05:02 PM

Nah, that's what we tell the Chiefs every year. :laugh: Inbred idiots.

chazoe60
07-23-2014, 05:12 PM

That MB is full of scumbag pieces of shit. I loved trolling their whiney asses after the Chefs/Colts playoff game. No bigger group of idiots in the world than Chefs fans.

tomjonesrocks
07-23-2014, 06:50 PM

Yeah, I'm leaving that one un-clicked.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-23-2014, 06:58 PM
mark schlereth @markschlereth · 5h

Mr B is a great owner who's passion for winning was only surpassed by his passion for the People in the Broncos organization #prayersforpat

Retweeted by mark schlereth
NFL on ESPN @ESPNNFL · 5h

“Pat Bowlen set a standard, which was: There is no right way to do something wrong. I appreciate that”-Mark Schlereth

Denver Native (Carol)
07-23-2014, 07:13 PM
Danny Trevathan ✔ @Grindin_59

Want to take this time to send a special Thanks to Mr. Bowlen for taking a chance on a young but ready individual. You are appreciated! ✊
1:59 PM - 23 Jul 2014

Brady Quinn ✔ @3rd_Goal

Thoughts and prayers are with Mr. Pat Bowlen. One of the best in the business and runs nothing but a first class organization @Broncos.
5:03 AM - 23 Jul 2014

Jake Plummer @snakestakes · 5h

Pat Bowlen.....the best owner in all sports, always took care of his players first and foremost. He knows what it takes to win #300winsin30

Dzone
07-23-2014, 07:47 PM
Wow, the shannon sharpe hall of fame story and fur coat story were pretty dang cool...I hope they will put pat in the hof next year

Shazam!
07-23-2014, 08:01 PM
This makes me feel old too.

tomjonesrocks
07-23-2014, 08:03 PM
From a search, I'm disappointed Shanahan hasn't said or posted anything...that's looking bad, Mike.

The quotes from players -- successful in Denver or not coming out for volumes really speaks volumes about the man.

tomjonesrocks
07-23-2014, 08:13 PM
Now it's Elway time. . .

Now doesn't really seem like the time--but Elway cemented as a permanent fixture via minority or majority ownership really seems right in the near-ish future. Am sure Pat would/would have still wanted that.

Is the whole Kaiser deal out of the way if the Bowlen family wants to sell some of the team? BTW who owns the parts of the team Bowlen doesn't?

UnderArmour
07-23-2014, 08:26 PM
From a search, I'm disappointed Shanahan hasn't said or posted anything...

The quotes from players -- successful in Denver or not coming out for volumes really speaks volumes about the man.

IIRC, Shanahan wasn't even doing text messaging until he got fired from Denver and took a year off to pick up new technology. Obviously, with him not being on social media the only way he is going to be quoted is if a journalist actually interviews him. While modern technology and instant feedback is great, I'm not going to rag on someone for not having an instant public response to an event.

Bowlen's wife already stated that the plan is to keep the Broncos organization in the family. http://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/07/23/speculation-begins-about-which-of-pat-bowlens-children-could-take-over/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter Here is some speculation on the subject, but the immediate plan is obviously to have Joe Ellis and John Elway run the organization until Pat actually passes away. The Kaiser right of first refusal is no longer in effect because Kaiser passed away.

ShaneFalco
07-23-2014, 08:52 PM
lol you expect shanny to be on twitter?

Cmon man.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-23-2014, 08:56 PM
Now doesn't really seem like the time--but Elway cemented as a permanent fixture via minority or majority ownership really seems right in the near-ish future. Am sure Pat would/would have still wanted that.

Is the whole Kaiser deal out of the way if the Bowlen family wants to sell some of the team? BTW who owns the parts of the team Bowlen doesn't?

Which parts of the team are you talking about?

Denver Native (Carol)
07-23-2014, 08:59 PM
Jason Elam @Jason_Elam · 6h

Our prayers and best wishes are with the #Broncos and the Bowlen family.

Jason Elam @Jason_Elam · 6h

Sad to hear of Pat Bowlen's battle with Alzheimer's. Awesome owner that cared about winning and treating his players with class and respect.

OrangeHoof
07-23-2014, 09:15 PM
This was not unexpected. A couple of years ago he said he had no memory at all of the Super Bowl winning years. It was obvious then that this day would be coming.

He's a truly classy man who has always looked at what was best for the team. He deserves all the accolades due him and I hope his remaining years are in as good a health and comfort as possible.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-23-2014, 09:27 PM
In a city whose heart bleeds orange, you can't spell Broncos without Mr. B.

So pardon us for feeling a melancholy shade of blue as Alzheimer's disease forces Pat Bowlen to relinquish power in day-to-day operations of the NFL team that has done Denver proud during three decades of his ownership.

For the past 30 years, Bowlen expected the Broncos to win the Super Bowl every season. And so did the rest of us.

http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_26199539/kiszla-broncos-owner-pat-bowlen-always-got-it

gregbroncs
07-23-2014, 10:37 PM
Sad day. I am glad I got to be a Broncos fan throughout his ownership of this team. I wish him and his family the best during their ongoing troubles.
Not one to cry very often but I am tearing up reading this.

MOtorboat
07-23-2014, 11:10 PM

The Kaiser deal has passed. I believe it was upon his death, but could be wrong.

Bowlen was the sole owner, now the trust is the sole owning entity. There is not an "ownership group" as with some teams.

bcbronc
07-23-2014, 11:45 PM
Sad news. I wasn't born a Broncos fan, I chose to become one. While it was John Elway that first hooked me, Mr. Bowlen's ownership made it easy to be proud rocking the blue and orange.

Davii
07-23-2014, 11:51 PM
Sad news, I certainly wish Mr.B and his family the best. Thank you for all the years you brought us the joy of watching this team. The Broncos are respected as one of the best organizations in the league because of Mr. Bs leadership. Thanks for everything Mr. B.

nevcraw
07-23-2014, 11:57 PM
Pat may not be there but he is still the owner / head of broncos till the day he dies..

Simple Jaded
07-24-2014, 12:03 AM
As one of the few to have a negative thing to say about Mr Bowlen over the years the finality of today's news is sobering and regrettable. Fwiw, I would humbly like to thank Mr Bowlen for 30 years of great memories, the highs and lows, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

It's time to begin, This One's For Pat.

Dapper Dan
07-24-2014, 12:17 AM
I grew up watching the guy on the sideline. It's crazy that, as a kid, I knew who Pat Bowlen was before I knew who many other people were.

tomjonesrocks
07-24-2014, 01:19 AM
Which parts of the team are you talking about?

I had read Bowlen only bought 60.8% of the team from Kaiser, and there was some weird stuff that went on in the 80s as far as ownership corporations and whatnot--so wondered if there were any other minority owners at this time...sounds like from responses he owned it all...

Denver Native (Carol)
07-24-2014, 10:25 AM
This article was written on March 28, 2008 - if the contents are true, this explains a lot, as far as Mr. B purchasing the Broncos from Kaiser, etc.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2008/3/28/95852/2379

LTC Pain
07-24-2014, 11:39 AM
God Bless Pat Bowlen and his family. My Mom had Alzheimers and I know what it does :(

BroncoJoe
07-24-2014, 11:45 AM
That was a bit tough watching Elway get so choked up.

OB
07-24-2014, 11:52 AM
This breaks my heart - I truly wish him and his family the best - I hope they can find a way to get through these tough times ahead. (I also wish we as a country were as compassionate with human lives as we are with animals - for some reason its inhumane to let an ill animal suffer, so we put them down, yet we will let a human being suffer and suffer and suffer in the name of "humanity" - because "its not our place to decide when its time to go") I, for one, would chose to be put down once I have reached the point where I am bed ridden and incoherent and a burden on those I love

OB
07-24-2014, 12:01 PM
That was a bit tough watching Elway get so choked up.

Thats was REALLY hard to watch :(

Magnificent Seven
07-24-2014, 02:27 PM
He will be in the Hall of Fame. 100% Guaranteed. Pat Bowlen earns universal respect and my respect.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-24-2014, 02:28 PM
Retweeted by Denver Broncos
Chris Hall @BroncosTV · 42m

Peyton Manning on yesterday's news about Owner Pat Bowlen: http://dbron.co/4dp

Retweeted by Andrew Mason
ESPN Denver @ESPN_Denver · 53m

Shanahan: “The only that mattered to Pat was winning. And he did everything he could to help you win.” #Broncos

Wade Phillips @sonofbum · 17h

Pat Bowlen has great compassion for people-He hugged me and cried when he let me go in Denver. I have a hug and a tear for him right now

Chris Hall @BroncosTV · 19h

.@Terrell_Davis addressed the team tonight, then told us how his relationship with Pat Bowlen goes beyond football: http://dbron.co/4de

Thurman Thomas ✔ @thurmanthomas
Follow

Pray for Pat Bowlen.. Great owner and a Great man..
8:14 AM - 23 Jul 2014

Denver Nuggets ✔ @denvernuggets
Follow

Our thoughts are with Pat Bowlen and the entire @Broncos family.

Colorado Avalanche ✔ @Avalanche
Follow

Thoughts are with Mr. Bowlen & the #Broncos Family MT @Broncos: RT to show support for owner Pat Bowlen in his fight against Alzheimer’s.

Arizona Cardinals ✔ @AZCardinals
Follow

The Arizona Cardinals extend thoughts and prayers to @Broncos owner Pat Bowlen and his family as he battles Alzheimer’s Disease.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-24-2014, 02:54 PM
Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 52m

My commentary on Pat Bowlen. He never cheated the fans. http://cbsloc.al/1pfExfX

tomjonesrocks
07-24-2014, 03:15 PM
What a legacy. So many great comments, but Wade Phillips' is something.

Hope he didn't cry when he shitcanned McD though :)

Denver Native (Carol)
07-24-2014, 06:05 PM
Peyton Manning took the field for Day 1 of Broncos camp Thursday, two days removed from the team’s announcement that owner Pat Bowlen would cede control of the team’s day-to-day operations. Manning has been in Denver for only two years, but the somber mood around the organization and its training facility was inescapable.

Bowlen’s name is welded to the front of the Broncos’ new facility here in Dove Valley, but he will no longer walk through the doors. He will no longer attend practices, and he will no longer see on a daily basis all the players and coaches who work for him and who have vowed to maintain his lofty expectations for the team.

After practice Thursday, Manning reflected on his time with Bowlen, and how the heralded owner’s presence can still be felt each day within the Broncos.

rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2014/07/24/peyton-manning-honored-quarterback-mr-bowlens-team/28391/

Denver Native (Carol)
07-24-2014, 07:39 PM
http://www.9news.com/story/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/2014/07/23/dumervil-reeves-talk-bowlen/13075831/

Video showing Elvis speaking about Mr. B, and then Dan speaking

Denver Native (Carol)
07-24-2014, 08:12 PM
Ring of Famer Tom Jackson talks about his relationship with owner Pat Bowlen.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Jackson-on-Bowlen-I-Love-Pat/a597a88a-9387-4203-8488-f17a12d99c8f

tomjonesrocks
07-24-2014, 10:10 PM
This might be a duplicate, but since I wanted to hear from Shanny--I wasn't disappointed and wanted to make sure it was posted.
http://www.9news.com/story/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/2014/07/24/mike-shanahan-reflects-on-20-years-with-pat-bowlen/13120973/

GEM
07-25-2014, 12:16 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_26213134/bowlens-illness-no-secret-teams-ring-famers

Some thoughts from Davis, Sharpe, Alfred, Atwater and Meck. This one made me cry. I know he left the organization with as little transition as possible, but we are going to feel Bowlen not being there.

Tned
07-25-2014, 12:41 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_26213134/bowlens-illness-no-secret-teams-ring-famers

Some thoughts from Davis, Sharpe, Alfred, Atwater and Meck. This one made me cry. I know he left the organization with as little transition as possible, but we are going to feel Bowlen not being there.

I think one big difference, besides just the personal aspect of it, when Pat Bowlen was making the decisions, if he decided to go for broke, spending more cash than they brought in (whether on players, training facility, etc.), he could make that call and be willing to float it and take a negative cash flow hit due to his love of the team. Now that the decisions are being made by a CEO that isn't the owner (or beneficiary of the trust) and the Broncos in trust controlled by non-family trustees (sounds like this part has been the same for quite some time), then it is going to be much tougher for Ellis and the trustees to be willing to make "we'll lose money" type decisions, because they have fiduciary responsibilities.

In other words, both from the spirit side that Mr. Bowlen brought to the team (evident by what everyone is saying) and on the business/legal side, I don't think the Broncos will ever be quite the same. That said, I think Ellis and Elway are committed to keeping it as close as possible from our fan's perspective.

pnbronco
07-25-2014, 02:18 PM
I think you're right Tned. It's whole lot different to gamble with your own money than the money from a trust fund that isn't yours. The only way I see things changing is if one of the kids step up sooner than later and the family backs that decision.

BroncoJoe
07-25-2014, 02:21 PM
I didn't realize this:

In 2006 Major League Lacrosse decided to expand adding the Denver Outlaws to its league of teams. The Denver Outlaws have been the most winning franchise that Bowlen has ever owned boasting a regular season win percentage of .700 since their creation. The Outlaws have been to the Playoffs every year they have been in existence and advanced as far as the championship game 3 times (2006, 2008, 2009).

I guess he was also a partner with Elway and Kronke with the Crush (AFL).

Northman
07-25-2014, 03:24 PM

Fantastic article. Made me weepy.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-25-2014, 03:35 PM
from a Woody Paige article posted on 7-23-14

And Pat brought his mother, Arvella, to Denver. She lived across Cheesman Park from me and was a hoot. And, unknown to most, it was the Arvella Bowlen Trust that really owned the Broncos.

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_26199168/paige-pat-bowlen-is-one-colorados-most-important?source=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+dp-sports+%28Denver+Post%3A+Sports%29

According to this, the Broncos have always been owned by a trust. I would assume within that, everything is outlined as to what can be done, what can not be done, etc. I would also assume that Joe Ellis knows exactly what he can do, and if/when a child takes over, that child will also know exactly what he/she can do, per the terms of the trust.

Pat Bowlen, one of the most iconic owners in NFL history who helped guide the Broncos to six Super Bowl games and two world championships in his 30 years as the team’s owner, is turning control of the team to his family trust so he can continue his battle with Alzheimer’s Disease.
Broncos president Joe Ellis will oversee the trust and operations of the club. Besides president, Ellis has now been named the team’s chief executive officer – which had been Bowlen’s title since he purchased the team in March 1984.

http://photos.denverpost.com/2014/07/23/photos-denver-broncos-pat-bowlen-turning-control-over-to-family-trust#1

Tned
07-25-2014, 05:01 PM
from a Woody Paige article posted on 7-23-14

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_26199168/paige-pat-bowlen-is-one-colorados-most-important?source=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+dp-sports+%28Denver+Post%3A+Sports%29

According to this, the Broncos have always been owned by a trust. I would assume within that, everything is outlined as to what can be done, what can not be done, etc. I would also assume that Joe Ellis knows exactly what he can do, and if/when a child takes over, that child will also know exactly what he/she can do, per the terms of the trust.

http://photos.denverpost.com/2014/07/23/photos-denver-broncos-pat-bowlen-turning-control-over-to-family-trust#1

I read the trust was established about 10 years ago.

To your other point, no, it won't be the same. Even if Joe Ellis knows and does everything in his power to run the team the way Pat Bowlen would have run it, the trustees will not give the same consideration to Ellis' decisions (as it relates to decisions that might lead to negative cash flow or more importantly a capital loss) than with Mr. Bowlen's, because trustees have a fiduciary obligation (and liability) to protect the assets of the beneficiaries, which are now the children (maybe wife and other family members too).

Bottom line, hopefully we see very little difference in how the Broncos are run, but there is no way that Joe Ellis can be as liberal or gambling with trust assets as when Bowlen was CEO.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-25-2014, 05:19 PM
Alzheimer's is vicious. I've seen it do great damage to two men in my family. The last one I saw go through it was my grandfather on my mother's side who passed away two years ago. The last six months or so he was alive he couldn't even remember who I was. It was really hard for me to see him like that. I lived with him and my grandmother a lot when I was a young adult. It was grievous to see this man who use to be so masculine and assertive turn into a child who couldn't even remember me.

My heart goes out to Pat Bowlen and his family. The road they are on is not an easy one.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-25-2014, 05:34 PM
Bowlen, 70, has placed his Broncos' ownership in the Pat Bowlen Trust that is controlled by non-family members. Final-say authority with the team is held by Ellis.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2014/7/23/5929109/denver-broncos-owner-pat-bowlen-battling-alzheimers-hands-control-of

Tned
07-25-2014, 05:35 PM
Alzheimer's is vicious. I've seen it do great damage to two men in my family. The last one I saw go through it was my grandfather on my mother's side who passed away two years ago. The last six months or so he was alive he couldn't even remember who I was. It was really hard for me to see him like that. I lived with him and my grandmother a lot when I was a young adult. It was grievous to see this man who use to be so masculine and assertive turn into a child who couldn't even remember me.

My heart goes out to Pat Bowlen and his family. The road they are on is not an easy one.

My grandfather suffered with it for over 10 years. The effects were evident probably 15 or more years before he passed away. Started with things like telling same story over and over, and not knowing people's names (friends of family), but only using funny nicknames like "funny face" and stuff. Slowly got worse and worse, where he would know the past well, but none of the more recent memories stuck. Eventually, he didn't now anyone, and then probably lived for another 6-8 years (maybe more) physically healthy, but knowing nobody. I hope I never experience that with anyone again.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-25-2014, 05:38 PM
My grandfather suffered with it for over 10 years. The effects were evident probably 15 or more years before he passed away. Started with things like telling same story over and over, and not knowing people's names (friends of family), but only using funny nicknames like "funny face" and stuff. Slowly got worse and worse, where he would know the past well, but none of the more recent memories stuck. Eventually, he didn't now anyone, and then probably lived for another 6-8 years (maybe more) physically healthy, but knowing nobody. I hope I never experience that with anyone again.

I feel the same way. I don't ever want to go through that again with anyone.

Tned
07-25-2014, 05:50 PM
http://www.milehighreport.com/2014/7/23/5929109/denver-broncos-owner-pat-bowlen-battling-alzheimers-hands-control-of

Yep, and everything I stated still applies. Ellis is the CEO and put in charge of the Broncos, but the trustees will have a fiduciary responsibility to protect the assets of the trust for the beneficiaries (more than likely the kids, and maybe other family members). If they do not, or take "gambles" with the trust assets, then the beneficiaries could sue them.

As long as Ellis is playing with house money (working with profits/cash flow of the Broncos) then he probably has a lot of flexibility, but when if things get tight and it comes to dipping into the trust assets, as owners often do, being willing to lose money to try and "win games" then the trustees are more than likely going to come into play, and their responsibility is to preserve the assets for the beneficiaries (the family members).

When the person running it and making the decisions and making the gambles is the primary beneficiary, then trustees typically are willing to be less conservative.

Anyway, all of this is speculation, and I'm sure from our fan perspective, things will roll along just fine.

GEM
07-25-2014, 06:11 PM

All CEO's have that control, but if the trust decides they don't like what he is doing, he can be removed from position, so he will be watching his p's and q's so that never has to happen. But it definitely can happen. Because of this, he will be wary of making decisions that Bowlen made within seconds and with no further thought.

Vic Lombardi interviewed Shanny within the last couple of days and he said he took a contract in for T. Davis. He told Bowlen that it was higher than what they had earlier spoke about, but it was a necessity and Davis had earned it. Bowlen didn't even read the contract, he handed it back and said do it. Shanahan asked him if he wanted to read it, Bowlen said That's what I hired you for. Those kind of decisions no longer exist.

It's definitely changed, no matter how good of a position Bowlen left it in. He did his best to leave it in as least disruptive position as he could, but it's not bullet proof, since we don't have the top dog playing with his own money anymore.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-25-2014, 06:38 PM
some things from article:

All Ellis has to do is lead an NFL team.

And so far, he has shown promise. During the past three years in which he has had final-say authority of the club, the Broncos won three AFC West titles and three home playoff games, and averaged better than 12 victories, counting playoffs, per season.

As Bowlen cedes control of the Broncos so he can continue to battle the insidious disease that is Alzheimer's, it would appear Ellis is well qualified to take charge.

"His style comes from Pat, which is why Joe is so terrific to work for," said John Elway, the Broncos' general manager and head of football operations.

The announcement of Elway's hiring drew one of the largest news conferences in Denver sports history. Ellis stood by at the same news conference while a release circulated to the media announcing his promotion to president.

On that same day, Bowlen essentially stepped back from overseeing the Broncos' day-to-day operations and transferred that control to Ellis.

full article - all about Joe Ellis
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_26206560/joe-ellis-has-background-take-over-pat-bowlens

Tned
07-25-2014, 07:05 PM
All CEO's have that control, but if the trust decides they don't like what he is doing, he can be removed from position, so he will be watching his p's and q's so that never has to happen. But it definitely can happen. Because of this, he will be wary of making decisions that Bowlen made within seconds and with no further thought.

Vic Lombardi interviewed Shanny within the last couple of days and he said he took a contract in for T. Davis. He told Bowlen that it was higher than what they had earlier spoke about, but it was a necessity and Davis had earned it. Bowlen didn't even read the contract, he handed it back and said do it. Shanahan asked him if he wanted to read it, Bowlen said That's what I hired you for. Those kind of decisions no longer exist.

It's definitely changed, no matter how good of a position Bowlen left it in. He did his best to leave it in as least disruptive position as he could, but it's not bullet proof, since we don't have the top dog playing with his own money anymore.

Exactly

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

Tned
07-25-2014, 07:08 PM
some things from article:

full article - all about Joe Ellis
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_26206560/joe-ellis-has-background-take-over-pat-bowlens

Yep, which is one of the reasons I've been telling the Ellis haters for several years now that they are off base. It's like they don't even get the fact Elway has worked for him since the start.

It was "convenient" to blame the McDaniel's fiasco on him, so they did.

Apollo
07-26-2014, 08:15 AM
Was really upset to hear this a few days back. Pat Bowlen could write the book on how to run an organisation in a professional and classy manner. Very sad for him and his family now, having seen what a friend is going through with a family member who has this disease, I can only wish them the best.

BroncoJoe
07-26-2014, 08:26 AM
RE: Ellis - I had no idea (from the article above)

Leadership streams through Ellis' bloodlines. His mom is the sister of George H.W. Bush, who in the four years from 1989-93 was the leader of the free world. Bush's oldest son, and Ellis' cousin, George W. Bush, was president of the United States for eight years, from 2001-09.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-26-2014, 09:54 AM
Didja hear the one about Drew Soicher’s awful opener and social media flap?

Soicher, the 9News sports anchor, got the jokey TV rhythm right (sounds like a vaudeville gag) — but the content uncomfortably wrong. His opener blew up as a tasteless one-liner on social media.

“So much talk about Alzheimer’s at Broncos training camp, I keep checking my roster to see if that’s a new player on the team.”

rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/ostrow/2014/07/25/drew-soicher-crosses-line-broncos-alzheimer-joke/19540/

IMO, Soicher is a total idiot - never have liked him. I would assume this will not sit well with the Broncos, as ch9 has the Broncos' contract. Was sorry to see ch9 awarded the contract over cbs4 = Vic Lombardi.

Tned
07-26-2014, 10:01 AM
RE: Ellis - I had no idea (from the article above)

I think there is a lot from that article that people had no idea about (even though the Bush thing had come up before and been discussed on here).

Some blamed him for McDaniel's, even though Mr. Bowlen clearly made the decision to hire him after his first meeting. Anyway, no need to rehash it all. I've been happy with the job he's been doing for years now, and think the Broncos are in good hands.

BroncoJoe
07-26-2014, 10:03 AM
I think there is a lot from that article that people had no idea about (even though the Bush thing had come up before and been discussed on here).

Some blamed him for McDaniel's, even though Mr. Bowlen clearly made the decision to higher him after his first meeting. Anyway, no need to rehash it all. I've been happy with the job he's been doing for years now, and think the Broncos are in good hands.

Guess I missed that. I wonder if there is a correlation between those that don't like W and those that complain about Ellis...

Northman
07-26-2014, 10:07 AM
Guess I missed that. I wonder if there is a correlation between those that don't like W and those that complain about Ellis...

Or could be vice versa.

But for me i just havent liked Ellis without even knowing his connection to Bush who i was 50/50 on anyway.

Tned
07-26-2014, 10:57 AM
Or could be vice versa.

But for me i just havent liked Ellis without even knowing his connection to Bush who i was 50/50 on anyway.

Why, out of curiosity? Ellis, not Bush?

Northman
07-26-2014, 11:09 AM
Why, out of curiosity? Ellis, not Bush?

Ellis just comes across as a patsy to me. Ellis reminds me of Bubby Brister, and having Shannon Sharpe state "Bubby, you have the keys to a ferrari. Dont screw it up".

Tned
07-26-2014, 11:22 AM
Ellis just comes across as a patsy to me. Ellis reminds me of Bubby Brister, and having Shannon Sharpe state "Bubby, you have the keys to a ferrari. Dont screw it up".

Fair enough.

Only problem is he's been driving you around in the Ferrari for years now, and you didn't even know he was behind the wheel.

But, he did lose the super bowl last year, so there is that...

Northman
07-26-2014, 11:29 AM
Fair enough.

Only problem is he's been driving you around in the Ferrari for years now, and you didn't even know he was behind the wheel.

But, he did lose the super bowl last year, so there is that...

Been around for years but things didnt get better until Elway joined the organization.

Tned
07-26-2014, 11:52 AM
Been around for years but things didnt get better until Elway joined the organization.

Or, said another way, until Ellis took over as President.

I'm going by memory, but when was the last time Mr. Bowlen had a press conference? Was it the firing of Shanahan where he said the next coach would not have GM responsibilities, but there would be a separate of duties, and then shortly after that the hiring of McDaniels? Did he speak at the McDaniels firing or Elway hiring or was that just Ellis?

I'm as big an Elway and Bowlen fan as they come, but it's a bit to "convenient" to blame Ellis for any bad that's happened, and give credit for all the good to Elway and Mr. Bowlen even when the McDaniels debacle (including Mr. Bowlen not remembering a conversation with Cutler) clearly cannot be placed only at the feet of Ellis.

Anyway, this is a thread to pay tribute and share sadness about Mr. Bowlen. There will be plenty of time in the future to debate how effective a president, and now CEO, Joe Ellis has and will be, and I'll try and reserve my opinion for a more appropriate time/thread. I've been a little over sensitive on this topic for quite a few years now, because I believe most fans have a distorted view of reality when it comes to Ellis. Just like I've believed most Broncos fans are spoiled and didn't realize how good we've had it the last 25+ years, when compared to 95% of other franchise's fans.

Nomad
07-26-2014, 12:14 PM
Sorry to hear this Mr.Bowlen, thanks for running a great franchise!

Denver Native (Carol)
07-26-2014, 01:31 PM
rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/ostrow/2014/07/25/drew-soicher-crosses-line-broncos-alzheimer-joke/19540/

IMO, Soicher is a total idiot - never have liked him. I would assume this will not sit well with the Broncos, as ch9 has the Broncos' contract. Was sorry to see ch9 awarded the contract over cbs4 = Vic Lombardi.

Am I the only one who finds this so unprofessional, disgusting, etc?

Apollo
07-26-2014, 01:51 PM

No. And I'm not so sensitive over such things, but there should be more consideration for this terrible disease, especially when it's hit someone who has provided the state of Colorado with great entertainment for so many years.

In his original article however, the statement doesn't sound as bad as it is as a stand alone line:

http://www.9news.com/story/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/2014/07/25/broncos-alzheimers-lead-10-pm-sports-segment/13180785/

Tned
07-26-2014, 03:40 PM

He says it wasn't written or delivered as a joke, but if that's the case are we to believe he truly thought there was a player named Alzheimer? Obviously not. I think he deserves all the blowback he's received and more.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-26-2014, 04:33 PM
He says it wasn't written or delivered as a joke, but if that's the case are we to believe he truly thought there was a player named Alzheimer? Obviously not. I think he deserves all the blowback he's received and more.

As I said earlier, he works for the Denver tv station who has the Broncos' contract. I can't believe this will be A-OK with the Broncos' organization.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-26-2014, 04:38 PM
There are times to be funny and times not to be funny, Drew Soicher of 9News apparently has no clue where that line is. On Thursday night while on the air doing what passes for a sports report, Soicher said the following:

“There’s so much talk about Alzheimer’s at Denver Broncos Training Camp, That I had to look at the roster to see if it’s a new player.”

I’m not even sure where to begin with this, it’s one of the most insensitive comments I’ve heard in a very long time. Soicher was obviously trying to have fun in light of Wednesday’s sobering news about Broncos owner Pat Bowlen, who stepped down due to his ongoing battle with this horrible disease.

rest - http://milehighmaniac.com/2014/07/25/sports-anchor-drew-soicher-makes-embarrassing-comments-pat-bowlen-alzheimers/

IMO, this guy nailed it. I can see he has the same opinion of Soicher that I do, and always have.

tomjonesrocks
07-26-2014, 04:46 PM

Good Lord. Sorry TNed.

From what I read 8 years is the average time before passing. This sounds like a worst case scenario. Can't imagine the heartache.

Tned
07-26-2014, 06:41 PM
Good Lord. Sorry TNed.

From what I read 8 years is the average time before passing. This sounds like a worst case scenario. Can't imagine the heartache.

The worst part was how physically healthy he was for so long after he was totally gone. Nasty disease.

MOtorboat
07-26-2014, 06:44 PM

No. That was very poor.

If it wasn't a joke, which in and of itself would have been unprofessional, what the hell was it? Very poor form.

Runamok
07-28-2014, 03:27 PM
Pat Bowlen. Great owner and a real class act.

Sorry to hear this sad news.