PDA

View Full Version : Broncos release Joel Dreessen

VonDoom
07-22-2014, 03:00 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/22/broncos-make-joel-dreessen-an-even-lower-paid-0-tight-end/

The Broncos announced they had released the veteran tight end with a failed physical designation Tuesday.

Not a surprise. Thanks for your service, Joel :beer:

Valar Morghulis
07-22-2014, 03:03 PM
theres 3 million toward DTs contract

tomjonesrocks
07-22-2014, 03:06 PM
Wow--failed physical?

Not a surprise though...

DenBronx
07-22-2014, 03:10 PM
I was on the fence of who should stay between Tamme and Dreesen. But this makes the decision easier and absolute. Now we can divy that money up to Julius or Demaryius.

Maybe he can come back at a reduced rate once he heals up and give us some depth. Just hope he doesn't land in NE.

VonDoom
07-22-2014, 03:15 PM
I was on the fence of who should stay between Tamme and Dreesen. But this makes the decision easier and absolute. Now we can divy that money up to Julius or Demaryius.

Maybe he can come back at a reduced rate once he heals up and give us some depth. Just hope he doesn't land in NE.

I liked Dreessen and all, but JT had a breakout year, Virgil Green is useful as a blocker/h-back, Tamme is a viable slot threat and Peyton's driving buddy. Hell, even Gerrell Robinson is generating some buzz. Not that much room for him at this point.

underrated29
07-22-2014, 03:21 PM
We all knew it was going to happen. Just had to wait to cut him. he was our most complete TE, but also the most expendable too. I see a bunch of 2 TE formations this year with Virg and OJ. Tamme is solid backup. Gerrell will be lucky imo to make the roster.

ShaneFalco
07-22-2014, 03:33 PM
didnt he play for Co State?

Denver Native (Carol)
07-22-2014, 04:28 PM
didnt he play for Co State?

The former Colorado State star doesn't have clear waivers, cast as a free agent who can sign with any team. Dreessen's desire was to complete the final year of his contract with the Broncos. However, a left knee injury sabotaged his chances, along with the emergence of Julius Thomas and a strong field of backups.

Dreessen, one of only 12 players to start a high school (Fort Morgan), college and NFL game in Colorado, caught seven passes last season as a backup. He started 15 games in 2012, posting a career-best 41 receptions for 356 yards and five touchdowns.

full denver post article
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_26195593/joel-dreessen-released-denver-broncos-failed-physical

Pudge
07-22-2014, 04:54 PM
He's leading the league in touchdowns in my Madden career mode

Dapper Dan
07-22-2014, 05:13 PM
I've always liked him since he came to Denver. Never heard of him before that. I hate that he's had a nasty injury. I hope he's financially stable enough to retire. This makes the possibility of keeping Tamme that much better.

MOtorboat
07-22-2014, 05:34 PM
He's leading the league in touchdowns in my Madden career mode

You have one go-to play, don't you?

Northman
07-22-2014, 06:16 PM
http://cr4.globalspec.com/PostImages/201109/Marvin_the_robot_97A141EE-90A8-4A3A-D08A7695C320C8DF.png

Pudge
07-22-2014, 06:19 PM
You have one go-to play, don't you?

If I'm having difficulties running it in the red zone yeah, no one covers the tight end. At least not the computer

Rick
07-22-2014, 06:36 PM
I still expect Tamme to be cut as well before all is said and done.

Dapper Dan
07-22-2014, 06:47 PM
If I'm having difficulties running it in the red zone yeah, no one covers the tight end. At least not the computer

It's hard to find a DB strong enough or a LB fast enough.

Dapper Dan
07-22-2014, 06:48 PM
I still expect Tamme to be cut as well before all is said and done.

Why?

Denver Native (Carol)
07-22-2014, 07:11 PM
JoelDreessen @JoelDreessen · 3h

While disappointed I won't be a part of the 2014 broncos, I am looking forward to watching them. It's going to be a special season.

Was such a blessing to come home and be a bronco the past 2 seasons. Everyone was so kind to me, especially the fans and media.

The @Broncos have been so good to me. We literally explored every possible option to get me healthy. Thank u. #firstclassorganization

Thank u to everyone for all of the twitter support. Unfortunately my knee just refuses to cooperate at this time.

DenBronx
07-22-2014, 07:40 PM
Aw man sounds like he wont be playing again. I really liked having him on our team. I think if healthy he would have made the roster. Wish him well and hope he can healthy.

OrangeHoof
07-22-2014, 07:48 PM
Five years from now: "Concussions ended my career and the team knew about them. That's why I'm suing..."

Denver Native (Carol)
07-22-2014, 07:52 PM
Five years from now: "Concussions ended my career and the team knew about them. That's why I'm suing..."

This definitely is not your typical type of post. I don't see Joel saying anything like that. It's his knee, which he had surgery on in the off season, and he knows it's his knee.

VonDoom
07-22-2014, 08:39 PM
Denver Post is apparently saying that the team owes Dreessen an injury settlement of just over $1 mil, leaving a cap savings of around $1.5 million.

tomjonesrocks
07-22-2014, 09:02 PM
It's hard to find a DB strong enough or a LB fast enough.

Hmm. I would think in Madden your opponent would manual control an inside pass rusher and with any kind of pass-capable goal-line defense shut that down. I fact, I think you'd have to be in shotgun to really get that pass off, which would give up all keeping them honest on a run play.

But maybe I suck or the dudes I play are really good at getting to the QB.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-22-2014, 09:12 PM
from article:

The Broncos talked with Dreessen about restructuring his contract before agreeing to part ways. Dreessen was due $2.5 million this season and remains entitled to an injury-protection benefit of $1.05 million.

"Joel was part of the transition when we came in and when he came from Houston. ... He was a great part of helping us change the culture and getting this thing turned around," general manager John Elway said. "Unfortunately, he just had a knee that he couldn't recover from. We are going to miss Joel. He was a big part of what we've done over the last three years."

Dreessen understood the Broncos' decision because the team plans to place multiple players on the PUP list and needs healthy players for practice.

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_26195593/joel-dreessen-released-denver-broncos-failed-physical

Rick
07-22-2014, 09:13 PM
Why?

3.5m salary as a backup, we have other adequate backups, I don't think we will run as many 2 TE sets as others think as I don't see Welker coming off the field very often and if he does I think Latimer sees more time than any of our back up TEs.

Pudge
07-22-2014, 09:21 PM
Hmm. I would think in Madden your opponent would manual control an inside pass rusher and with any kind of pass-capable goal-line defense shut that down. I fact, I think you'd have to be in shotgun to really get that pass off, which would give up all keeping them honest on a run play.

But maybe I suck or the dudes I play are really good at getting to the QB.

I play from under center, send my tight end on a streak and usually if they are playing zone you have the opening for a quick pass

pnbronco
07-22-2014, 10:26 PM
Joel is a class act and just a great person. I will miss him a lot and only hope for best in his future.

Simple Jaded
07-22-2014, 11:23 PM
I guess Julius Thomas starting job is safe now, hope he doesn't get Manning killed.

Dapper Dan
07-22-2014, 11:51 PM
3.5m salary as a backup, we have other adequate backups, I don't think we will run as many 2 TE sets as others think as I don't see Welker coming off the field very often and if he does I think Latimer sees more time than any of our back up TEs.

I agree that his salary is high. I've been waiting for a restructure. I hope they don't cut him. He does great when Welker is off the field. He and Manning work well together. In a Stokely kind of way. Being there on third down. I hope he takes a pay cut and stays on the team.

Dapper Dan
07-22-2014, 11:51 PM
It's a good thing Joel gets that $1mill parting gift. That should help him out.

wcben
07-23-2014, 12:07 AM
That's some good points on Tamme. His cap number IS strong for his expected contribution. I'm excited to see Robinson work at TE during camp though.

Any word on a new contract for DT / JT??

dogfish
07-26-2014, 02:42 PM
I guess Julius Thomas starting job is safe now, hope he doesn't get Manning killed.

he lived through all those years with dallas clark as his starting TE, and that dude can't block for shit. . . doesn't matter-- TEs don't block in the passing game in our offense, RBs get that chore most of the time. . . manning's not stupid-- JT's going to be running routes, not blocking ends. . . montee ball's the one who needs to worry about JT's blocking, not peyton. . .

sneakers
07-27-2014, 03:15 AM
give it 4 months, he will be back on the roster

TXBRONC
07-27-2014, 07:31 AM
Aw man sounds like he wont be playing again. I really liked having him on our team. I think if healthy he would have made the roster. Wish him well and hope he can healthy.

Agreed. As it was pointed out previously he was the most complete tight end the Broncos had.

Simple Jaded
07-27-2014, 10:08 AM
he lived through all those years with dallas clark as his starting TE, and that dude can't block for shit. . . doesn't matter-- TEs don't block in the passing game in our offense, RBs get that chore most of the time. . . manning's not stupid-- JT's going to be running routes, not blocking ends. . . montee ball's the one who needs to worry about JT's blocking, not peyton. . .

Agreed, I was just mocking the notion that Dreessen should start over JT because. . .i don't really know why but it was out there all season long.

As for Dreessen, he said on radio that he wasn't giving up on his football career, so maybe sneakers is right.

dogfish
07-27-2014, 02:58 PM
Agreed, I was just mocking the notion that Dreessen should start over JT because. . .i don't really know why but it was out there all season long.

wait, wut? are you serious? dear god, please tell me that was just joel. . .

Simple Jaded
07-27-2014, 04:39 PM
wait, wut? are you serious? dear god, please tell me that was just joel. . .

Logic can not be coerced.