PDA

View Full Version : Coach Power Rankings

Denver Native (Carol)
07-14-2014, 12:19 PM
Interesting to see the rankings from 1st to 32nd

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap2000000365040/coach-power-rankings

DenBronx
07-14-2014, 01:03 PM
Sorry but that's too low for Fox. Top 5 at least!

CoachChaz
07-14-2014, 01:25 PM

Just out of curiosity...why?

TXBRONC
07-14-2014, 01:31 PM
Belichick doesn't belong at number one. He's has won a championship in over a decade. Four of the top five have one at least one championship in the last five or six years and the only one in the top five to have multiple championships beat his team twice in the Super Bowls in the last six years or so.

broncofaninfla
07-14-2014, 02:27 PM
I stopped looking once i saw they had Dennis Allen as the worst....

SoCalImport
07-14-2014, 02:36 PM
I stopped looking once i saw they had Dennis Allen as the worst....

starting at the bottom eh? good man

Buff
07-14-2014, 08:17 PM
I was disappointed to see these aren't coach's power rankings.

BroncoWave
07-14-2014, 08:21 PM
Belichick doesn't belong at number one. He's has won a championship in over a decade. Four of the top five have one at least one championship in the last five or six years and the only one in the top five to have multiple championships beat his team twice in the Super Bowls in the last six years or so.

I would take Belichick as my HC over Coughlin and not think twice about it. Taking Coughlin because of the results of two individual games is a little silly. The Pats are WAY more consistently excellent than the Giants.

wcben
07-14-2014, 08:54 PM
Uhh phuck the Cheatriots

OrangeHoof
07-14-2014, 09:41 PM
It ought to be a ranking for which head coach has the most power (ie runs everything his way, makes the personnel calls, etc.) That would be an interesting rankings. Probably Belichick does top that chart. I don't think any head coach has control of his organization more than Belichick.

guitarj
07-14-2014, 09:43 PM
8th!!!
Not too shabby!

CoachChaz
07-14-2014, 10:00 PM
I was disappointed to see these aren't coach's power rankings.

Thought about doing it again this year. Miss the debates.

slim
07-14-2014, 10:12 PM
Oh man, OR is gonna be pissed.

Mike
07-15-2014, 08:39 AM

I can't tell if you are serious.

John Fox is a safe/middle-of-the pack coach. Somewhere between 15-20 is where I'd rank him.

Dzone
07-15-2014, 10:18 AM
How is Fox ahead of Tomlin? 1-1 in superbowls beats 0-2

SoCalImport
07-15-2014, 03:12 PM

He coached his team to the superbowl just last season. It's obviously a "what have you done for me lately" poll er.... ranking...list....thing.

I think Coach Fox is neither a coaching genius nor a placeholder. 8th is fair.

If there's any way to describe what I see Fox doing well it's coaching his team to play to their talent level. His teams have never risen above their abilities nore (really) wasted them.
This makes him a damn good coach. Just not a great one.

Ravage!!!
07-15-2014, 03:20 PM

That is looking at results instead of the coaching job it takes to get a particular team TO the Super Bowl. Fox did an amazing job with Tebow, and that raises his value. Going by your standards, Johnson is a better QB than Marino because Johnson has the ring.

They also ranked the Losing Super Bowl Harbaugh higher than the winning Harbaugh... when they played one another.

FanInAZ
07-15-2014, 05:45 PM
Oh man, OR is gonna be pissed.

Too bad he got permanently banned about a month ago. I'd love to read about how Allen is a HoF coach.

FanInAZ
07-15-2014, 06:17 PM
20) Ken Whisenhunt, Tennessee Titans
One of the more under-reported stories of the 2013 season: The job Whiz did with the Chargers' offense. And it wasn't just Philip Rivers' revival; the running backs were hell on wheels for opponents, as Ryan Mathews enjoyed his most prolific rushing season and Danny Woodhead caught 76 balls. Can Whisenhunt have the same impact in Tennessee? While Kurt Warner gets most of the praise for guiding the Cardinals to Super Bowl XLIII, try to recall who made Warner the starter.

This guy has no clue. Whisenhunt's predecessor, Dennis Green, brought Warner in order to groom the Cards QB of the future. The following season, Green drafted that QB, Matt Leinart. Green got fired after that season, & Leinart went on to be a horrendous bust, forcing Whisenhunt to make Warner the starter in the middle of the '08 preseason. It wasn't a stroke of genius of Whisenhunt's part, but one of the best accidents in the history of the NFL. A supposedly washed up QB brought to groom his replacement, replaced his should have been replacement & lead his team to within 2 minutes of winning a SB.

What did Whisenhunt do after that? Assemble what had to be one of the most horrendous QB corps in the history of the NFL. Whatever abilities he may have in making good QBs great, a fact that I won't deny in light of his track record as an OC, he has demonstrated complete ineptitude as HC with the Cards in evaluating the talent of QBs in order to know who to bring in. So he better make Jake Locker the next Roethlisberger or Rivers, not the next Leinart. If Locker doesn’t work out, the Titans may be toast.

OrangeHoof
07-15-2014, 06:52 PM
He coached his team to the superbowl just last season. It's obviously a "what have you done for me lately" poll er.... ranking...list....thing.

I think Coach Fox is neither a coaching genius nor a placeholder. 8th is fair.

If there's any way to describe what I see Fox doing well it's coaching his team to play to their talent level. His teams have never risen above their abilities nore (really) wasted them.
This makes him a damn good coach. Just not a great one.

Did Fox not get the Carolina Friggin Panthers to the Super Bowl once? With Delhomme as his QB? I'd say that team rose above their abilities BIG TIME.

UnderArmour
07-15-2014, 07:09 PM

Because: http://espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=320108007

SoCalImport
07-15-2014, 11:45 PM
Did Fox not get the Carolina Friggin Panthers to the Super Bowl once? With Delhomme as his QB? I'd say that team rose above their abilities BIG TIME.

Fair enough. I DO remember that panthers team having a lot of talent. They were definitely not expected to go that far though. Touche

CoachChaz
07-16-2014, 08:29 AM

But that was when the running game was still important and Stephen Davis was running all over people. Back then, a good running game and good defense could get you to the Super Bowl. (see: Baltimore, Tampa Bay)

Dreadnought
07-16-2014, 09:33 AM
But that was when the running game was still important and Stephen Davis was running all over people. Back then, a good running game and good defense could get you to the Super Bowl. (see: Baltimore, Tampa Bay)

Or Seattle 2013

OrangeHoof
07-16-2014, 11:04 AM
Fair enough. I DO remember that panthers team having a lot of talent. They were definitely not expected to go that far though. Touche

And, FWIW, I agree with your general comment that 8th is fair and that Fox is neither a coaching genius or a dud. He's a good defensive coach who needs a marriage to a great offensive mind - in this case, Peyton Manning.

DenBronx
07-16-2014, 05:59 PM

Just out of curiosity...why?

Just my own personal opinion of him. He took a crappy 2 win team and has had us in the playoffs every year. He is very underrated as a HC. Having Manning definitely made us even better but Foxs real test is when Manning retires.

Still though.....from 2 wins to SB isnt anything to complain about.

Dzone
07-16-2014, 07:04 PM
That playoff win against the Steelers was all Tebow lol

tomjonesrocks
07-20-2014, 06:55 PM
I can't tell if you are serious. John Fox is a safe/middle-of-the pack coach. Somewhere between 15-20 is where I'd rank him.

I'd have said the exact same before seeing the list. Other than Tomlin I'm not sure there's anyone else below where they ranked Fox I'd move higher.

And I really don't think a whole lot of Fox right now. Just shows coaches are hard to come by.