PDA

View Full Version : Manning Named No. 1 on ‘NFL Top 100’

Denver Native (Carol)
07-10-2014, 03:04 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – On Wednesday night quarterback Peyton Manning capped off the NFL Network’s The Top 100 Players of 2014, being named the top player in the NFL by his peers.

This is Manning’s fourth consecutive year on the list. He was named the No. 2 player in both 2011 and 2013 and No. 50 in 2012.

During the 2013 season, Manning set Broncos single-season records in completions, attempts, passing yards, touchdown passes, and quarterback rating. He also set NFL single-season records in passing yards (5,477) and touchdown passes (55).

rest - plus 2 videos - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Manning-Named-No-1-on-%E2%80%98NFL-Top-100%E2%80%99/d2ba7697-7cf5-47aa-904b-d6a8c53ef101

Dzone
07-10-2014, 03:20 PM
Right on! Mvp mvp mvp!! We got manning! Numero Uno in the worlds greatest sport

ShaneFalco
07-10-2014, 03:26 PM
i remember when tebow made the list and people saying it doesnt matter.

I think this list is pretty accurate when its done by the players.

Manning def deserves #1.

VonDoom
07-10-2014, 03:57 PM
It's on my DVR - can't wait to watch later. But yes, deservedly so. After that season, could it really have been anyone else? The players have tremendous respect for him, and since this is a player voted list, I'm not surprised.

Slick
07-10-2014, 04:21 PM
Just go out and WIN, Broncos!

Shazam!
07-10-2014, 06:23 PM
Yet another tremendous accomplishment for Mr. Manning.

I fear the worst for our beloved team when he goes. It might be even worse than when Elway retired. I am totally convinced Denver will a cellar dweller.

Simple Jaded
07-11-2014, 11:53 PM

Manning def deserves #1.

It didn't matter because Tebow wasn't voted Top100, if you understand how/when they vote you understand that he would have went from being voted OUT of the ProBowl by the players to being voted IN their Top20 all within the month of December when he was literally the worst player on the field week in and week out.

No, the players voted but they didn't count the votes, there's no possible way he was on anyone's Top 20.

wcben
07-12-2014, 12:46 AM
WTF?? Arguably Denver has never been close "cellar dwellers"

Since 1972 the Broncos have had a grand total of 2 seasons with 4 or less wins...

But you're "convinced" they're going to turn into the Rayduhs and go into a decade of 1,2,3,4 win seasons? Child Please.

Ravage!!!
07-12-2014, 10:25 AM

Manning def deserves #1.

No no.. you misuderstood. TEBOW doesn't matter.

UnderArmour
07-12-2014, 10:35 AM
It's on my DVR - can't wait to watch later. But yes, deservedly so. After that season, could it really have been anyone else? The players have tremendous respect for him, and since this is a player voted list, I'm not surprised.

It's actually questionable whether or not this is a player voted list: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/04/donte-whitner-questions-if-players-really-vote-for-nfln-top-100/
Whitner isn't alone in his claim either. Eagles LB Connor Barwin also claims that players do not vote on it: https://twitter.com/ConnorBarwin98/status/330332168578547713

The NFL claims to survey 481 or so players: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/05/inside-the-top-100-voting-process/ but if you have presumably both the Eagles and 49ers locker rooms not being surveyed, who knows if they even do that much? The list really doesn't hold any water and has zero credibility.

Manning had the greatest statistical season in NFL history last year for a quarterback and led his team to the Super Bowl, so it is fairly obvious he was the top player of 2013.

Shazam!
07-12-2014, 11:36 AM
WTF?? Arguably Denver has never been close "cellar dwellers"

Since 1972 the Broncos have had a grand total of 2 seasons with 4 or less wins...

But you're "convinced" they're going to turn into the Rayduhs and go into a decade of 1,2,3,4 win seasons? Child Please.

I didn't say a decade, but they will have some rough years ahead when Peyton Manning retires.

If you think they'll be top of the AFC heap like they are now in the few years after he goes, you are going to be seriously disappointed.

Theyre favorites to get to the Championship again and they'll win double digits games again this year and probably get a 4th Division Title. This will not be the case when he calls it a career. .500 here they go. If you think they'll be the cream of the crop like they are now in the first few seasons without him you're delusional.

VonDoom
07-12-2014, 12:56 PM
It's actually questionable whether or not this is a player voted list: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/04/donte-whitner-questions-if-players-really-vote-for-nfln-top-100/
Whitner isn't alone in his claim either. Eagles LB Connor Barwin also claims that players do not vote on it: https://twitter.com/ConnorBarwin98/status/330332168578547713

The NFL claims to survey 481 or so players: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/05/inside-the-top-100-voting-process/ but if you have presumably both the Eagles and 49ers locker rooms not being surveyed, who knows if they even do that much? The list really doesn't hold any water and has zero credibility.

Manning had the greatest statistical season in NFL history last year for a quarterback and led his team to the Super Bowl, so it is fairly obvious he was the top player of 2013.

Interesting. I hadn't seen this before. They do show players on the show filling out ballots so either a) they don't really count those or b) there's not enough players voting for this to be an accurate representation of how the league as a whole feels.

UnderArmour
07-12-2014, 01:35 PM
I didn't say a decade, but they will have some rough years ahead when Peyton Manning retires.

If you think they'll be top of the AFC heap like they are now in the few years after he goes, you are going to be seriously disappointed.

Theyre favorites to get to the Championship again and they'll win double digits games again this year and probably get a 4th Division Title. This will not be the case when he calls it a career. .500 here they go. If you think they'll be the cream of the crop like they are now in the first few seasons without him you're delusional.

Maybe they won't be top of the AFC heap, but if we can keep Von Miller around we can transition into being a defensive team with a balanced offense. Our roster and cap situation aren't in the crisis that Indianapolis had with Peyton because Elway has not gotten in the habit of blowing future cap space. We also don't have to go through a roster purge that will set the franchise back like San Diego and Oakland had to. The "rough years" will be more along the lines of our Plummer years rather than our Cutler/Orton years because our roster has a young nucleus on both sides of the ball to be built around.

You are definitely right to an extent though. Fans expecting Brock to come in and pick up right where Manning left off and take the AFC by storm just aren't living in reality.

imTHATguy
07-12-2014, 02:34 PM
Not being top of the AFC, and being cellar dwellers are two different things though.

Shazam!
07-12-2014, 04:35 PM
No way does Denver loses a player like Manning and not be reduced to mediocrity. Sorry.

MOtorboat
07-12-2014, 05:29 PM

wcben
07-12-2014, 07:06 PM
Good point. Yes I can envision a stinker of 7-9 or 6-10 but no way will John allow a 1-15 type.

He tried that once... and they beat the Steelers.

Simple Jaded
07-12-2014, 08:10 PM
Interesting. I hadn't seen this before. They do show players on the show filling out ballots so either a) they don't really count those or b) there's not enough players voting for this to be an accurate representation of how the league as a whole feels.

Or. . .the list is a complete and total fabrication.

ShaneFalco
07-12-2014, 11:49 PM
It didn't matter because Tebow wasn't voted Top100, if you understand how/when they vote you understand that he would have went from being voted OUT of the ProBowl by the players to being voted IN their Top20 all within the month of December when he was literally the worst player on the field week in and week out.

No, the players voted but they didn't count the votes, there's no possible way he was on anyone's Top 20.

No no.. you misuderstood. TEBOW doesn't matter.
rofl. you two are so cute together.

It must really pain you guys that Tebow was voted on the list.

Simple Jaded
07-13-2014, 02:51 PM

You have no idea, I laughed so hard I couldn't lift my arms for days.

jhns
07-14-2014, 01:51 PM
The Broncos will eventually get Luck anyways so Mannings retirement won't be a big deal. The Colts always give us their #1 pick QBs.

wcben
07-15-2014, 10:44 AM
OK The Top 100 list is definitely bullshit.

See Robert Quinn: the #13th BEST player and #1 DE in the league? Give me a F'ing break.

Antonio Brown almost 25 spots better than DT? That's actually laughable.

So there's 75 players in the NFL better than Von? Okay **** **** **** .

/endrant

Ravage!!!
07-15-2014, 11:24 AM

Not as much as it must pain you to know that your hero is out of the league after just 4 years of playing. Where is he now?

ShaneFalco
07-15-2014, 03:18 PM
OK The Top 100 list is definitely bullshit.

See Robert Quinn: the #13th BEST player and #1 DE in the league? Give me a F'ing break.

Antonio Brown almost 25 spots better than DT? That's actually laughable.

So there's 75 players in the NFL better than Von? Okay **** **** **** .

/endrant

Robert Quinn is the #1 DE in the league without a doubt. Guy should even be higher on the list.

I disagree with Brown over DT, but people put most credit towards Manning with the #1 spot.

Simple Jaded
07-15-2014, 10:20 PM
Nobody is saying DT is a product of Manning.

Ravage!!!
07-16-2014, 10:16 AM
Nobody is saying DT is a product of Manning.

You would be surprised about that.

dogfish
07-19-2014, 02:30 PM
I fear the worst for our beloved team when he goes. It might be even worse than when Elway retired. I am totally convinced Denver will a cellar dweller.

yea. . . no. . .

that moron shanahan was the GM after john retired. . . john's the GM himself now, and he's already proven to be one of the best in the business. . . your conviction is flat wrong-- this franchise will NEVER be a cellar-dweller with #7 in charge, you can take that to the bank. . .

:defense:

Denver Native (Carol)
07-19-2014, 02:53 PM
yea. . . no. . .

that moron shanahan was the GM after john retired. . . john's the GM himself now, and he's already proven to be one of the best in the business. . . your conviction is flat wrong-- this franchise will NEVER be a cellar-dweller with #7 in charge, you can take that to the bank. . .

Also, when PM retires, there probably will be experienced free agent QBs available. #7 will not sit idle, unless he is convinced OZ is the one.

Simple Jaded
07-19-2014, 10:05 PM
Maybe Elway is right about Osweiler and he's actually a legitimate NFL QB and the Broncos future. I don't like Oz any better than the rest of you, and I understand his contract situation, but I don't see the point of ignoring this possibility.

wcben
07-19-2014, 11:03 PM
Why do we dislike Oz so? He's thrown impressive TDs to Robinson last year in the preseason or was that the year before???

Point is.. the sample size is small. Yes the raiders game was a slight disappointment but let's wait for this preseason before we crucify the kid.

I guess the gripe comes from the lost draft pick... Muscle Hamster anyone?

Pudge
07-19-2014, 11:40 PM
yea. . . no. . .

I don't expect us to ever be cellar dwellers but I expect some growing pains after pfm retires.

MOtorboat
07-20-2014, 12:05 AM
Why do we dislike Oz so? He's thrown impressive TDs to Robinson last year in the preseason or was that the year before???

Point is.. the sample size is small. Yes the raiders game was a slight disappointment but let's wait for this preseason before we crucify the kid.

I guess the gripe comes from the lost draft pick... Muscle Hamster anyone?

Martin was taken in the first round. Osweiler in the second. Besides, he had 450 yards and one TD this year, so meh.

Osweiler is going to be fine.

Timmy!
07-20-2014, 07:29 AM
Martin was taken in the first round. Osweiler in the second. Besides, he had 450 yards and one TD this year, so meh.

Osweiler is going to be fine.

He's a Montana boy....haters need to relax. He knows he has a couple years still to sit and learn.

Simple Jaded
07-24-2014, 12:54 AM
The Bucs could be on their 3rd starting RB before we find out if Osweiler was anything more than Manning insurance/Tebow mouthwash.

Nomad
07-27-2014, 11:02 AM
Just go out and WIN, Broncos!

Yep! Just win the game, BRONCOS! One game at a time.

Manning and the BRONCOS will have their work cut out for them this year, especially with such an early bye week.