PDA

View Full Version : Station Changing Bands

Dreadnought
07-10-2014, 01:20 PM
OK, which bands or artists, who appear on a station you normally like and listen to, will cause you to change the station ASAP if this is an option? My new vehicle has Sirius XM, and I can change the station with a button on the steering wheel...hence I have not had to listen to more than 4 seconds of any song by Green Day, Rage Against the Machine, or the appalling Morrissey since I bought the car and figured this out :D

As for Green Day and RATM they just blow. I would rather step on a nail or poop my pants than listen to Zack De La Rocha or Mike Dirnt sing.

I crack up my 12 year old by pretending to sob uncontrollably any time a Song by Morrissey or The Smiths comes on the radio

"If a ten ton truck
killed the two of us
to die by your side
why the pleasure, the privilege is mine"

Yech. Morrissey practically invented Emo. To hear him pour out his heart and soul is to want to give him a thrashing

Timmy!
07-10-2014, 02:54 PM
Rage and Green day:win.

Im gonna buy a $5000 sound system and park outside of dreads house with long view (complete with obnoxious dirnt baseline) playing on infinite loop.

Dreadnought
07-10-2014, 03:05 PM
Rage and Green day:win.

Im gonna buy a $5000 sound system and park outside of dreads house with long view (complete with obnoxious dirnt baseline) playing on infinite loop.

:tsk::tsk:

Buff
07-10-2014, 03:06 PM
Sting. Ugh. I have this weird viscerally angry reaction every time he comes on. Like, "How the hell could anyone ever like this?"

Also, Beyonce. Everything she does is so over-the-top that she's just a parody of herself.

Dreadnought
07-10-2014, 03:08 PM
Sting. Ugh. I have this weird viscerally angry reaction every time he comes on. Like, "How the hell could anyone ever like this?"

Also, Beyonce. Everything she does is so over-the-top that she's just a parody of herself.

My ex wife LOVED Sting. He makes me think of her. Then I get pissed. Plus of course he sucks, as you rightly noted

Timmy!
07-10-2014, 03:10 PM
I'm gonna play the obvious nickleback card.

....and I'm gonna get flack for this one but I can't stand Fleetwood mac.

Dreadnought
07-10-2014, 03:31 PM
I'm gonna play the obvious nickleback card.

....and I'm gonna get flack for this one but I can't stand Fleetwood mac.

No flack from me on Fleetwood Mac. Boring in the extreme. "Adult Contemporary" is an awful genre, and they epitomize it.

ShaneFalco
07-10-2014, 04:28 PM
i dont listen to music when i drive. Makes me road rage. When Ludacris comes on and says "Move Bitch Get out the Way" I feel like flooring to 100 in my cherokee.

I listen to the comedy radio station so im always in a good mood :)

Slick
07-10-2014, 05:08 PM
I like to listen to classic rock from time to time but if a Bob Seger song comes on the channel gets changed.

Buff
07-10-2014, 05:09 PM
I like to listen to classic rock from time to time but if a Bob Seger song comes on the channel gets changed.

Dude, turn the page is a classic.

MOtorboat
07-10-2014, 05:17 PM
Rage rocks. Early Green Day rocks. When I Come Around is an all-time song. Later stuff...meh.

Beyoncé is one for me. I can't think of too many others. Mostly just pop music like Beyoncé.

chazoe60
07-10-2014, 05:23 PM
Any artist whose stage name starts with DJ or has the word "ice" in it.

Specific artists would be U2(I know everyone loves them, but I sure as **** dont), The Beatles (again, I KNOW), and Smashing Pumpkins (I get it.....)

On a side note, that dude that sings for Smashing Pumpkins has the worst voice in all of recorded history, it is literally like listening to a cat screech while simultaneously scratching a chalkboard.

Flame away

Dreadnought
07-10-2014, 06:10 PM
Any artist whose stage name starts with DJ or has the word "ice" in it.

Specific artists would be U2(I know everyone loves them, but I sure as **** dont), The Beatles (again, I KNOW), and Smashing Pumpkins (I get it.....)

On a side note, that dude that sings for Smashing Pumpkins has the worst voice in all of recorded history, it is literally like listening to a cat screech while simultaneously scratching a chalkboard.

Flame away

I used to Love Smashing Pumpkins...but, yeah. Billy Corgan is awful, and he takes himself very seriously indeed. The Beatles - agreed. They define overrated.

You and I must part company on U2. I love U2. I have since their first album, and I still love them.

To Slick: Bob Seger blows goats. He is simply awful. Unlistenable. I would listen to freakin' Journey before I would listen to him.

Slick
07-10-2014, 06:36 PM
Dude, turn the page is a classic.

It's terrible. Metallica covering it broke my heart even though they were already old farts.

I also forgot Bruce Springsteen. He is just awful.

Timmy!
07-10-2014, 06:40 PM
Seger and journey hate in one post. This will not stand.

underrated29
07-10-2014, 06:43 PM
i hate smashing pumpkins....couldnt agree more chazzy.

For me it has to be (sorry dave, sharkie etc) that english band that has the song "lion man" - I actually like that song, but all the others I cannot stand. I consider that women music. Every girl I know literally is beyond ridiculous when it comes to that band. 93.3 plays a bunch of that soft almost folk music but not....like soft rock folk? I dont know how to describe it. I hate it! Its a cross between, sorrow, romance love music and a guitar. Shit is depressing and puts me to sleep.

The only other and this is an entire Genre: Country! Cant stand the stuff. The voice inflections and honkey tonks drives me mad.

Journey gets turned up in my car ;)

MOtorboat
07-10-2014, 06:51 PM

For me it has to be (sorry dave, sharkie etc) that english band that has the song "lion man" - I actually like that song, but all the others I cannot stand. I consider that women music. Every girl I know literally is beyond ridiculous when it comes to that band. 93.3 plays a bunch of that soft almost folk music but not....like soft rock folk? I dont know how to describe it. I hate it! Its a cross between, sorrow, romance love music and a guitar. Shit is depressing and puts me to sleep.

The only other and this is an entire Genre: Country! Cant stand the stuff. The voice inflections and honkey tonks drives me mad.

Mumford and Sons.

You suck, in general, apparently.

Pudge
07-10-2014, 06:54 PM
Metallica, most hip hop, ac/dc, and the Beatles. I'm sure there's more, but those top my list

Pudge
07-10-2014, 06:55 PM

http://youtu.be/88XvpkHS4UE

NightTrainLayne
07-10-2014, 08:24 PM
Incubus.

I will risk an accident to change the channel if anything by Incubus comes on. The possible damage to my car can't equal the damage to my ears.

BigDaddyBronco
07-10-2014, 09:04 PM
Rush. Geddy Lee can suck a dick, then I don't have to listen to his terrible voice.

Timmy!
07-10-2014, 11:22 PM
Good lord. This thread is an abortion.

tomjonesrocks
07-11-2014, 08:33 AM
I could list so many, but off the top of my head I'll say Bush. I don't get why that useless, derivative band continues to get airplay on alt stations. It's disgusting.

Also on derivative, Silversun Pickups piss me off for their Smashing Pumpkins imitation. **** them.

Anything by RHCP after Blood Sugar gets the hook from me as well.

Those mentioning the Beatles here have lost their minds. I'll let the SP smash stand (even though it's also insane) as the only songs they play by them on radio are 1979 and Bullet With Butterfly Wings, which are played out.

Dreadnought
07-11-2014, 08:54 AM
I could list so many, but off the top of my head I'll say Bush. I don't get why that useless, derivative band continues to get airplay on alt stations. It's disgusting.

Also on derivative, Silversun Pickups piss me off for their Smashing Pumpkins imitation. **** them.

Those mentioning the Beatles here have lost their minds. I'll let the SP smash stand (even though it's also insane) as the only songs they play by them on radio are 1979 and Bullet With Butterfly Wings, which are played out.

As for Bush - very much in the same category as the Foo Fighters for me; I won't change the station because they are (usually) not actively annoying, but they have never done anything even vaguely interesting.

I don't mind Silversun Pickups. Good call on Smashing Pumpkins; I think my recent aversion to them is based on overplay of Mellon Collie in general. I can still listen to Siamese Dream and Pisces Iscariot and enjoy them.

I also forgot to metion earlier. I HATE Sublime. They get the instant axe every single time.

Slick
07-11-2014, 08:58 AM
I really like Rush, but I can't deny that Geddy's screechy voice could bther some people. The older Rush albums, when Alex Lifeson played guitar like he still had a pair, are awesome. 2112 and Hemispheres are great albums.

Buff
07-11-2014, 08:59 AM
Good lord. This thread is an abortion.

It has taken a decidedly shitty turn. Not everyone can have our impeccable taste I suppose.

Dreadnought
07-11-2014, 09:07 AM
It has taken a decidedly shitty turn. Not everyone can have our impeccable taste I suppose.

No, mostly just Timmy! He seems to love everyone who sucks. I bet he likes Springsteen, too.

Buff
07-11-2014, 09:11 AM
No, mostly just Timmy! He seems to love everyone who sucks. I bet he likes Springsteen, too.

I have to ride with Timmy on this one. (Unless he likes the Boss, then we have to part ways)

I like 90% of the bands listed itt: Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins, RHCP, Sublime, Mumford and Sons, Bush, U2, Journey. Those are all bands I grew up on and/or continue to enjoy.

Slick
07-11-2014, 09:14 AM
i need to know which bands that some of us listed are bands that Timmy disagrees with before I condem his musical tastes. Timmy?

Also, I just listened to a Mumford and Sons song on youtube because I had never heard any of their stuff. Definitely a channel changer. They seem like talented musicians but not my cup of tea.

MileHighCrew
07-11-2014, 09:17 AM
I hate all dance music, anything big bass that doesn't have a guitar and they play in the club, can't stand it.
I can listen to almost anything else, I am a child of 90s grunge but not limited to it.

tomjonesrocks
07-11-2014, 09:27 AM
I HATE Sublime. They get the instant axe every single time.

Oh yeah. I liked Sublime at one point, but someone decided they needed to be represented once an hour for eternity. So now agree fully there.

On Foo Fighters, those "Best of You" and "My Hero" songs are simply abysmal. Vomit-inducing. "Is someone getting the BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST"...oh my God. Just kill me and dump my body in a ditch.

Earlier stuff is tolerable I guess if unremarkable--but overall Grohl gets a pass from me with his overall good-guy-ness and really has enough goodwill in the bank to put out stinkers from time to time.

BroncoJoe
07-11-2014, 09:50 AM
I can listen to just about anything, even Springsteen (who I like a lot) and Fleetwood Mac (which is probably my favorite band ever).

Rap and Hip Hop? Change the station.

Buff
07-11-2014, 09:51 AM
Oh yeah. I liked Sublime at one point, but someone decided they needed to be represented once an hour for eternity. So now agree fully there.

On Foo Fighters, those "Best of You" and "My Hero" songs are simply abysmal. Vomit-inducing. "Is someone getting the BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST"...oh my God. Just kill me and dump my body in a ditch.

Earlier stuff is tolerable I guess if unremarkable--but overall Grohl gets a pass from me with his overall good-guy-ness and really has enough goodwill in the bank to put out stinkers from time to time.

Disagree on Sublime. Totally agree on Foo Fighters. It's weird - I used to be a fan of Foo Fighters, and still am a little bit, but somewhere along the way Dave Grohl's voice started to grate on me.

MOtorboat
07-11-2014, 11:19 AM
I think we should start with a list of what Dreadnaught WILL listen to.

Dreadnought
07-11-2014, 11:39 AM
I think we should start with a list of what Dreadnaught WILL listen to.

Its a very very long list, covering a wide range of time and genres. Just off the top of my head, you can start with the Stones, Led Zeppelin, all the English 70's Prog bands, U2, Bowie, Velvet Underground, The Pixies, Porcupine Tree, Any of the early 90's grunge bands, the Cult, Hawkwind, Joy Division, Primus, Sisters of Mercy, Brian Jonestown Massacre, Blue Oyster Cult, the B-52's, White Stripes or almost anything Jack White is involved in, the Offspring, Flaming Lips, Coldplay (yeah, I know. I like 'em. So sue me), any of the Madchester 90's stuff, Jane's Addiction, Muse, Tool, A Perfect Circle, The The, Death Cab for Cutie, Roxy Music, on and on and on

Just not lame shit

Slick
07-11-2014, 11:49 AM
Mars Volta, Dread?

Dreadnought
07-11-2014, 11:57 AM
Mars Volta, Dread?

No can do, Slick. Again, its the vocals. To me the lead singers sounds just awful with that high falsetto-ish thing he's got going, and I can't get past that so far. A lot of folks swear by them, and I'll admit I haven't spent lots of time listening to a wide array of mars Volta stuff

NightTrainLayne
07-11-2014, 01:19 PM
Its a very very long list, covering a wide range of time and genres. Just off the top of my head, you can start with the Stones, Led Zeppelin, all the English 70's Prog bands, U2, Bowie, Velvet Underground, The Pixies, Porcupine Tree, Any of the early 90's grunge bands, the Cult, Hawkwind, Joy Division, Primus, Sisters of Mercy, Brian Jonestown Massacre, Blue Oyster Cult, the B-52's, White Stripes or almost anything Jack White is involved in, the Offspring, Flaming Lips, Coldplay (yeah, I know. I like 'em. So sue me), any of the Madchester 90's stuff, Jane's Addiction, Muse, Tool, A Perfect Circle, The The, Death Cab for Cutie, Roxy Music, on and on and on

Just not lame shit

A Perfect Circle. . .haven't seen or heard their name in a long time. I loved "Three Libras" back in the day.

Timmy!
07-11-2014, 01:27 PM
I have to ride with Timmy on this one. (Unless he likes the Boss, then we have to part ways)

I like 90% of the bands listed itt: Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins, RHCP, Sublime, Mumford and Sons, Bush, U2, Journey. Those are all bands I grew up on and/or continue to enjoy.

Not a fan off the boss.

Buff
07-11-2014, 01:29 PM
A Perfect Circle. . .haven't seen or heard their name in a long time. I loved "Three Libras" back in the day.

How about "Judith"? ;)

Timmy!
07-11-2014, 01:29 PM
i need to know which bands that some of us listed are bands that Timmy disagrees with before I condem his musical tastes. Timmy?

Also, I just listened to a Mumford and Sons song on youtube because I had never heard any of their stuff. Definitely a channel changer. They seem like talented musicians but not my cup of tea.

See Buffs earlier post. He pretty much nailed it.

Timmy!
07-11-2014, 01:34 PM

Just not lame shit

A far better list than I was expecting. Guess I'm just not as picky. Probably has something to do with the amount of hours spent in karaoke bars and playing rockband with friends.

CoachChaz
07-11-2014, 01:36 PM
Maynard James Keenan and any band he is associated with is always overrated and horrible to me.

But I'll kick in the country version of this conversation. Any Nashville Pop Country artist immediately gets dismissed. Luke Bryan, Taylor Swift, F-G Line, Jake Owen, Billy Currington, etc. None of them have ANY talent whatsoever and most of their music should be on the pop top 40 and completely disassociated with country music.

Shazam!
07-11-2014, 01:50 PM
David Derulo

Hardwired
07-11-2014, 01:54 PM
Cinderella, maybe the worst singing voice in history.

Individual songs will make me bang buttons until something changes, like Maggie Mae by Rod Stewart, or Roxanne by Sting.

There are many others but I listen to my own carefully selected music most of the time.

Dreadnought
07-11-2014, 02:04 PM

Individual songs will make me bang buttons until something changes, like Maggie Mae by Rod Stewart...

Forgot about Rod Stewart. He ruined Small Faces (a really good late 60's blues-ey/psychedelic band until he joined) then he went and got worse as a solo artist, and then proceeded to get even worse than that as he got older and morphed into an overaged schmaltzy disco/soft rock crooner. Ack

Coach, we will have to agree to disagree on Maynard James Keenan. I love everything he has done to date. Plus, anyone who has sat in a dingy strip bar in a 4/5ths drunken stupor should listen to Magdalena by A Perfect Circle. It catches the mood perfectly.

tomjonesrocks
07-11-2014, 02:10 PM
Its a very very long list, covering a wide range of time and genres. Just off the top of my head, you can start with the Stones, Led Zeppelin, all the English 70's Prog bands, U2, Bowie, Velvet Underground, The Pixies, Porcupine Tree, Any of the early 90's grunge bands, the Cult, Hawkwind, Joy Division, Primus, Sisters of Mercy, Brian Jonestown Massacre, Blue Oyster Cult, the B-52's, White Stripes or almost anything Jack White is involved in, the Offspring, Flaming Lips, Coldplay (yeah, I know. I like 'em. So sue me), any of the Madchester 90's stuff, Jane's Addiction, Muse, Tool, A Perfect Circle, The The, Death Cab for Cutie, Roxy Music, on and on and on Just not lame shit

While I'm stunned -- Nice job not being too macho or anti-emo for Death cab. -Very- good band IMO.

Slick
07-11-2014, 02:12 PM
Coach, you don't like Tool?

CoachChaz
07-11-2014, 02:22 PM
Coach, you don't like Tool?

Hell no. All of their songs sound alike to me and MJK's voice grates on me. APC is just Tool lite. It also doesnt help that he is an ego-maniacal narcissist.

CoachChaz
07-11-2014, 02:23 PM
Forgot about Rod Stewart. He ruined Small Faces (a really good late 60's blues-ey/psychedelic band until he joined) then he went and got worse as a solo artist, and then proceeded to get even worse than that as he got older and morphed into an overaged schmaltzy disco/soft rock crooner. Ack

Coach, we will have to agree to disagree on Maynard James Keenan. I love everything he has done to date. Plus, anyone who has sat in a dingy strip bar in a 4/5ths drunken stupor should listen to Magdalena by A Perfect Circle. It catches the mood perfectly.

I respect your opinion, but when I'm in a cheap strip bar, I think I could literally list thousands of other songs that would help my mood much more than anything from APC.

Dreadnought
07-11-2014, 02:28 PM
I respect your opinion, but when I'm in a cheap strip bar, I think I could literally list thousands of other songs that would help my mood much more than anything from APC.

Its been a long time since I was in one. Back then (the 90's) all the strippers wanted to dance to was "Closer" by NIN, pretty much without exception

CoachChaz
07-11-2014, 02:36 PM
Its been a long time since I was in one. Back then (the 90's) all the strippers wanted to dance to was "Closer" by NIN, pretty much without exception

I always thought Pour Some Sugar On Me was the default song. That or Cherry Pie.

Buff
07-11-2014, 02:38 PM
Hell no. All of their songs sound alike to me and MJK's voice grates on me. APC is just Tool lite. It also doesnt help that he is an ego-maniacal narcissist.

When I think of an ego-maniacal narcissist, I think of guys like Gene Simmons or Axl Rose. Maynard seems pretty self deprecating to me.

CoachChaz
07-11-2014, 02:43 PM
When I think of an ego-maniacal narcissist, I think of guys like Gene Simmons or Axl Rose. Maynard seems pretty self deprecating to me.

I wouldnt put him on par with those two...but I've just read too much stuff and heard too much from him to eliminate him from the conversation entirely. Just my learned opinion anyway

Buff
07-11-2014, 02:46 PM
I wouldnt put him on par with those two...but I've just read too much stuff and heard too much from him to eliminate him from the conversation entirely. Just my learned opinion anyway

He's an interesting case study - I can definitely see it because he kind of looks upon the masses with disdain, so he's kind of an elitist... But he doesn't take himself or his band too seriously, nor does he act like a celebrity, so he's not the classic narcissist.

MasterShake
07-11-2014, 02:58 PM
Jimmy Buffet, anything with Stevie Nicks, and Reggae. I can tolerate most other things.

Oh and I love the Smashing Pumpkins but can understand why people don't. Oceania was one of my favorite albums in 2012. Corgan sounds weird and is arrogant but he's a hell of a guitar player.

CoachChaz
07-11-2014, 03:01 PM
He's an interesting case study - I can definitely see it because he kind of looks upon the masses with disdain, so he's kind of an elitist... But he doesn't take himself or his band too seriously, nor does he act like a celebrity, so he's not the classic narcissist.

Fair enough. Either way...he could be the coolest dude ever...I still wouldnt be a fan of his music

Buff
07-11-2014, 03:02 PM
Fair enough. Either way...he could be the coolest dude ever...I still wouldnt be a fan of his music

I'm a huge fanboi, as you can see.

CoachChaz
07-11-2014, 03:12 PM
I'm a huge fanboi, as you can see.

My wife is a big fan as well. But every time she makes me listen to them, I remind her she owes me one.

Dreadnought
07-11-2014, 03:15 PM
My wife is a big fan as well. But every time she makes me listen to them, I remind her she owes me one.

My wife likes Bruno Mars, Taylor Swift, and Kelly Clarkson. She is a great wife, but Good Lord....

Dreadnought
07-11-2014, 03:16 PM

Compared with, say, the aforementioned Morrissey, who clearly loves him some Morrissey

chazoe60
07-11-2014, 03:20 PM
I can't look at my wife's iPod for too long for fear I may be forced to divorce her. She likes a lot of the same stuff I do and she is the best concert going wife in the world, a total blast, but she has some absolutely embarrassing shit on her iPod. I have no idea what that woman is listening to when I'm not around.

CoachChaz
07-11-2014, 03:27 PM
I can't look at my wife's iPod for too long for fear I may be forced to divorce her. She likes a lot of the same stuff I do and she is the best concert going wife in the world, a total blast, but she has some absolutely embarrassing shit on her iPod. I have no idea what that woman is listening to when I'm not around.

This reminded me of something my wife absolutely loves that makes me want to crash into a wall when she turns it on...The Eagles.

aberdien
07-11-2014, 04:38 PM
It takes something really bad for me to hate it, and I typically don't listen to stations that play crap songs. But I refuse to go out of my way to listen to any hair metal, Guns n Roses, Metallica, Nine Inch Nails, and music that is similar to that. If i'm at a bar and any of that stuff comes on I get up and go pick something less shitty. But then again, I usually pick music that most people will hate. My favorite thing is to play some depressing ass Hank Williams. Really clears the bar out if it's too crowded.

I can usually find something redeemable about any artist, so I have managed to keep myself from hating any. I genuinely can't think of one that I really hate. There are some that I don't care to ever listen to, like those mentioned above, but none that are truly awful.

I think Smashing Pumpkins have some pretty good songs. Cherub Rock is a great great song. Not a huge fan of a lot of their other work though. I think Silversun Pickups are a far better band.

aberdien
07-11-2014, 04:39 PM
This reminded me of something my wife absolutely loves that makes me want to crash into a wall when she turns it on...The Eagles.

-JlmvtAHhnc

Slick
07-11-2014, 05:00 PM
Lol. Coach Lebowski. That kind of fits.

I forgot Jimmy Buffet. Good call Shake. He's horrible.

Buff
07-11-2014, 05:17 PM
How can anyone hate Jimmy Buffet? Ugh.

Slick
07-11-2014, 05:20 PM

I don't hate Jimmy Buffet. I just think his music sucks.

aberdien
07-11-2014, 05:24 PM
I bet Dread is listening to Jimmy Buffet's SiriusXM radio station as we speak.

BroncoJoe
07-11-2014, 06:02 PM

I've come to the conclusion no one here has any taste in music.

At all.

Dreadnought
07-11-2014, 06:26 PM
I bet Dread is listening to Jimmy Buffet's SiriusXM radio station as we speak.

Hell to the no. Lemme tell you a story from my distant past. How distant? During the end of Jimmy Carter's term. I was 21. There was a girl I worked with, G., who I had a desperate crush on. She was very very pretty, but in retrospect I was firmly in the dreaded "friend' purgatory. I wasn't getting that, and I was never going to get any of that. Anyways, G. and I went out for a couple of drinks, things were going OK, she was driving as my car was a POS. We went to the apartment of another girl we worked with, Fat Janet. Fat Janet was a plump airhead from California, but had supplies of, shall we say, left handed cigareets. We stopped there had a couple of glasses of wine, secured said cigareets. I went to the bathroom. When I came out, G. had left, and Fat Janet was in a negligee, in a mood for Love, and Jimmy Buffett was on the stereo. I had been set up.

I walked home, pissed off and heartbroken. I had learned a bitter lesson. I can never hear Jimmy Buffett without visualizing Janet's fat rolls under that negligee.

NOW DO YOU UNDERSTAND? DO YOU?

tomjonesrocks
07-11-2014, 07:07 PM
I think Silversun Pickups are a far better band.

Oh my God. You know they even ripped their name from Smashing Pumpkins (SP), right? Jimmy Chamberlain is a drumming virtuoso.

Corgan is a -killer-guitar player. The force they are able to create is mind-boggling. I think you need to re-listen to the catalog up from Gish to Machina and re-evaluate. Some prime-era live stuff will fix your wagon as well.

Shit, even a modern YouTube video of the much-abhorred last tour with Chamberlain as has-beens would do the job.

BTW NIN isn't "hair metal". I'm not president of their fan club, but Year Zero is nice. As is PHM and some mixed other work.

tomjonesrocks
07-11-2014, 07:11 PM
I've come to the conclusion no one here has any taste in music. At all.

School us, wise one.

tomjonesrocks
07-11-2014, 07:16 PM

What? All Nu (UFC) type-Metal last I was there. But, it's been like 3 years for me--a streak I hope to extend.

Buff
07-11-2014, 07:19 PM
Hell to the no. Lemme tell you a story from my distant past. How distant? During the end of Jimmy Carter's term. I was 21. There was a girl I worked with, G., who I had a desperate crush on. She was very very pretty, but in retrospect I was firmly in the dreaded "friend' purgatory. I wasn't getting that, and I was never going to get any of that. Anyways, G. and I went out for a couple of drinks, things were going OK, she was driving as my car was a POS. We went to the apartment of another girl we worked with, Fat Janet. Fat Janet was a plump airhead from California, but had supplies of, shall we say, left handed cigareets. We stopped there had a couple of glasses of wine, secured said cigareets. I went to the bathroom. When I came out, G. had left, and Fat Janet was in a negligee, in a mood for Love, and Jimmy Buffett was on the stereo. I had been set up.

I walked home, pissed off and heartbroken. I had learned a bitter lesson. I can never hear Jimmy Buffett without visualizing Janet's fat rolls under that negligee.

NOW DO YOU UNDERSTAND? DO YOU?

Ok, you get a pass on Buffet, but I don't know what everyone else's excuse is. :D

NightTrainLayne
07-11-2014, 07:19 PM
I think I win this thread. Haven't seen anyone stick up for Incubus.

tomjonesrocks
07-11-2014, 07:22 PM

I met him at a wine bottle signing. He had a Mohawk. There's my insight.

Bit of a recluse it seems...

tomjonesrocks
07-11-2014, 07:25 PM

I think you just named someone nobody has heard of. What station still plays them?

Their singer is on record as trying to copy Mike Patton. While I love Mike Patton, I don't defend copycats. Feel free to continue with your hate.

MOtorboat
07-11-2014, 07:25 PM

I just haven't figured out how I'm going to do it.

Dreadnought
07-11-2014, 07:26 PM
I think you just named someone nobody has heard of. What station still plays them?

Their singer is on record as trying to copy Mike Patton. While I love Mike Patton, I don't defend copycats. Feel free to continue with your hate.

I've heard of them. Alt Nation on Sirius plays them. they are dull as dishwater

tomjonesrocks
07-11-2014, 07:27 PM

I thought all wives loved Norah Jones and John Mayer. Guess not.

Buff
07-11-2014, 07:30 PM

Brandon's voice is really polarizing. I actually gained a bit of respect for them after seeing them open for Tool a few years back, but I can't blame anyone for not liking them.

I haven't seen any adamant Sting defenders yet either. :)

Buff
07-11-2014, 07:30 PM
I thought all wives loved Norah Jones and John Mayer. Guess not.

No that still applies regardless of her love for the Eagles. I'd throw Jack Johnson into that group too.

Buff
07-11-2014, 07:32 PM
I met him at a wine bottle signing. He had a Mohawk. There's my insight.

Bit of a recluse it seems...

Was that in AZ? He's actually got some fascinating interviews on Youtube, but it's pretty rare that he's open and candid in public, so I think recluse definitely fits.

MOtorboat
07-11-2014, 07:32 PM
I like Jack Johnson and John Mayer. :coffee:

Buff
07-11-2014, 07:33 PM

I like Jack Johnson. Mayer not so much. I think Norah Jones is really talented, but she puts me to sleep.

tomjonesrocks
07-11-2014, 07:42 PM
Was that in AZ? He's actually got some fascinating interviews on Youtube, but it's pretty rare that he's open and candid in public, so I think recluse definitely fits.

No, San Diego--but he lives in Arizona and tends to his winery there I believe.

His ep on Joe Rogan Experience gives some insight. Adam Jones has other stuff going on too--and has some interesting/strange ways he gets his sound also. Interesting guys and band.

Buff
07-11-2014, 07:47 PM
No, San Diego--but he lives in Arizona and tends to his winery there I believe.

His ep on Joe Rogan Experience gives some insight. Adam Jones has other stuff going on too--and has some interesting/strange ways he gets his sound also. Interesting guys and band.

Yeah the Joe Rogan interview was the best. Danny Carey is my favorite. Guy is the best drummer alive as far as I'm concerned.

tomjonesrocks
07-11-2014, 07:51 PM

What the -- you a stoner or puzzy, boy?

Mayer can really play. I don't think people know how good he is on guitar, douche or not. Similar to Dave Navarro. Guy is a killer guitar player and his looks/douchiness sabotage the respect he should get.

I can't defend Johnson unless you're high. Which I know you are not down with.

MOtorboat
07-11-2014, 08:22 PM
What the -- you a stoner or puzzy, boy?

Mayer can really play. I don't think people know how good he is on guitar, douche or not. Similar to Dave Navarro. Guy is a killer guitar player and his looks/douchiness sabotage the respect he should get.

I can't defend Johnson unless you're high. Which I know you are not down with.

Neither. I like good music.

tomjonesrocks
07-11-2014, 08:29 PM
Neither. I like good music.

Continuum is tough to fault.

BroncoJoe
07-11-2014, 09:59 PM
School us, wise one.

I'd be happy to discuss Tom Jones or maybe Englebert Humperdinck with you if you'd like.

tomjonesrocks
07-11-2014, 10:54 PM
I'd be happy to discuss Tom Jones or maybe Englebert Humperdinck with you if you'd like.

Absolutely. I've always gravitated towards "Delilah" as my fave Tom Jones song. What say you?

aberdien
07-12-2014, 01:10 AM
Oh my God. You know they even ripped their name from Smashing Pumpkins (SP), right? Jimmy Chamberlain is a drumming virtuoso.

Corgan is a -killer-guitar player. The force they are able to create is mind-boggling. I think you need to re-listen to the catalog up from Gish to Machina and re-evaluate. Some prime-era live stuff will fix your wagon as well.

Shit, even a modern YouTube video of the much-abhorred last tour with Chamberlain as has-beens would do the job.

BTW NIN isn't "hair metal". I'm not president of their fan club, but Year Zero is nice. As is PHM and some mixed other work.
I don't deny the talent of the Pumpkins, but the Pickups are more in my listening area.

Also, I wasn't saying NIN was hair metal. I basically hate all nu-metal. I don't hate NIN, and I wouldn't classify them/him as exclusively nu-metal, but they're one of the bands that people here like that I don't fancy so much. Johnny Cash is the best thing that happened to them.

I used to hate Morrissey, loathe the Smiths, but i've grown to appreciate and enjoy them. Morrissey's voice often tends towards self-gratifying, but The Queen Is Dead is as a whole a wonderful album.

Mumford and Sons is the epitome of the term "garden variety."

Incubus is boring and I am at best ambivalent to them. Same for Foo Fighters. Same for the majority of artists here. I have never had an experience with Jimmy Buffet such as Dread, I just have stumbled upon "Margaritaville" one too many times for me to ever care to enjoy it.

John Mayer is talented but boring. Same for Jack Johnson. Basically most of the artists mentioned so far are so boring and inoffensive that they aren't even worth mentioning. Some would say indifference is worse than hate, though.

Dzone
07-12-2014, 01:19 AM
Delilah is a great song, even though it is a song about a guy who goes completely psycho and murders delilah with a knife lol

Buff
07-12-2014, 07:31 AM
I don't deny the talent of the Pumpkins, but the Pickups are more in my listening area.

Also, I wasn't saying NIN was hair metal. I basically hate all nu-metal. I don't hate NIN, and I wouldn't classify them/him as exclusively nu-metal, but they're one of the bands that people here like that I don't fancy so much. Johnny Cash is the best thing that happened to them.

I used to hate Morrissey, loathe the Smiths, but i've grown to appreciate and enjoy them. Morrissey's voice often tends towards self-gratifying, but The Queen Is Dead is as a whole a wonderful album.

Mumford and Sons is the epitome of the term "garden variety."

Incubus is boring and I am at best ambivalent to them. Same for Foo Fighters. Same for the majority of artists here. I have never had an experience with Jimmy Buffet such as Dread, I just have stumbled upon "Margaritaville" one too many times for me to ever care to enjoy it.

John Mayer is talented but boring. Same for Jack Johnson. Basically most of the artists mentioned so far are so boring and inoffensive that they aren't even worth mentioning. Some would say indifference is worse than hate, though.

#HipsterPoasts

BroncoJoe
07-12-2014, 08:18 AM
Absolutely. I've always gravitated towards "Delilah" as my fave Tom Jones song. What say you?

"It's not unusual" and "She's a Lady" are the ones that come to mind.

Shazam!
07-12-2014, 09:48 AM
Pink Floyd love em

weazel
07-12-2014, 01:51 PM
I dont really change the station for any song... I pretty much like all music. Yeah there is some complete pop shit but I dont really listen to pop stations

aberdien
07-12-2014, 04:09 PM
#HipsterPoasts

I cannot deny this.