PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' most memorable plays

tomjonesrocks
07-09-2014, 05:32 PM
ESPN has a poll/ranking right now for each NFL team's most memorable plays. http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/131067/nfl-nation-most-memorable-plays

Denver's 3 choices are:
- John Elway dives for 8-yard gain, Packers' LeRoy Butler helicopters him
- Tom Jackson's 73-yard INT TD return in Week 11 secures win, homefield advantage
- John Elway-Shannon Sharpe for 18 yards on 3rd-and-6 secures '97 AFC title, Elway's first Super Bowl trip

The helicopter should definitely be there (although TD's "blind" endzone run through a hole the size on Montana is memorable from that game as well.)

I'm not sure they got the other options right. I'd say the TD pass to Jackson on the Drive should have been a choice.

What say you? What would the Broncos' most memorable plays be?

Shazam!
07-09-2014, 06:29 PM
I know it wasn't history making, but Elway's 'Duck' play vs. Seattle should be on the list. There's a ton I can think of too, non Playoff or SB.

Rod Smith's first TD vs Redskins
Rod Smith's 4TH Q TD vs Raiders on MNF in 96
McCaffreys big catch in the 3rd Q of AFCCG vs NYJ when all was looking lost

The Drive alone should be there lol

Many more too.

Also the Sharpe play @ Pitt wasn't Elway's first trip to the dance.

NightTrainLayne
07-09-2014, 11:28 PM
1991-92 playoffs. Broncos vs Oilers.

Withe the Broncos down 24-23, with less than 2 minutes left, John Elway converts a 4th and 10, with a 44 yard pass to Vance Johnson. The second 4th down play on the drive.

NightTrainLayne
07-09-2014, 11:41 PM
Here you go.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Top-Playoff-Moments-The-Drive-II/70000280-0c78-4e15-9944-066a77d3bda6

Watch that video. Brings back some great memories. I miss the old Mile High.

MOtorboat
07-10-2014, 12:11 AM
1. Helicopter.
2. Elway to Jackson.
3. "Oh baby, they're gonna win this thing!" (Mobley knocking down the Favre pass)

Two of them right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnpJt4GT0TY

BroncoJoe
07-10-2014, 09:59 AM
Jim Turner's TD catch on a faked field goal against the Raiders in '77 (our first Superbowl season) is always one of the top plays for me.

Also, Morton's bootleg around left-end was a classic as well. I think it was again in the '77 season. I think a turtle could run faster than Morton.

BroncoWave
07-10-2014, 10:02 AM
It's the helicopter and it's not even close. There have been some great plays/moments in Broncos history, but that has to be #1.

I don't mind them not putting The Drive on that poll, because they are looking for an individual play. I suppose you could argue for the TD that capped it off though.

Buff
07-10-2014, 10:14 AM
I went and looked at the Raiders out of curiosity. Their nominees all come from the 70s and early 80s. :lol:

Ours is clearly the Helicopter. It's an all-time Super Bowl moment from any team. Currently has 80% of the vote.

underrated29
07-10-2014, 10:17 AM
This is not better than the helicopter but still one of my all time favorite plays- tebow to DT on OT over the steel.

BroncoWave
07-10-2014, 10:29 AM
Had he not been chased down and caught, the Champ pick against Brady in the playoffs would have been a franchise top-3 type of play IMO. I would agree that Tebow to DT is right up there as well.

Slick
07-10-2014, 10:35 AM
The bomb Elway threw to Sharpe in Seattle when John shrugged off a sure sack and stepped up and threw a dart, right on the money was an amazing play.

Also, Rod Smith's first touchdown like someone else mentioned was a beautiful play.

NTL picked a good one too. That 4th down dump offto Vance was just as clutch as it gets.

Dreadnought
07-10-2014, 10:42 AM
Jim Turner's TD catch on a faked field goal against the Raiders in '77 (our first Superbowl season) is always one of the top plays for me.

Also, Morton's bootleg around left-end was a classic as well. I think it was again in the '77 season. I think a turtle could run faster than Morton.

I second the Jim Turner TD in 1977. I remember that game vividly. I remember the idiot who covered the NFL for the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle confidently predicting that the Raiders would expose the Broncos for the frauds they were, and beat them by three TD's. Back then we could never beat those SOB's. Between 1963 and 1976 we beat them exactly twice in 26 tries. The Raiders were bad Mojo. I also very rarely got to see the Broncs in those days, but this was the Nationally televised game. Denver was 4-0, but had only played stiffs thus far in the season, and they had never been to the Playoffs. It was their biggest game yet, and they smoked Oakland, picking off ******* Ken Stabler seven times and icing the game on that beautiful pass from Norris Weese to ancient Jim Turner. No man has ever been that open before.

That was the game that said Denver was legit...and I finally got to laugh at my friend Todd from across the street who was a Raider fan

BroncoJoe
07-10-2014, 11:11 AM
I second the Jim Turner TD in 1977. I remember that game vividly. I remember the idiot who covered the NFL for the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle confidently predicting that the Raiders would expose the Broncos for the frauds they were, and beat them by three TD's. Back then we could never beat those SOB's. Between 1963 and 1976 we beat them exactly twice in 26 tries. The Raiders were bad Mojo. I also very rarely got to see the Broncs in those days, but this was the Nationally televised game. Denver was 4-0, but had only played stiffs thus far in the season, and they had never been to the Playoffs. It was the biggest game yet, and they smoked Oakland, picking off ******* Ken Stabler seven times and icing the game on that beautiful pass from Norris Weese to ancient Jim Turner. No man has ever been that open before.

That was the game that said Denver was legit...and I finally got to laugh at my friend Todd from across the street who was a Raider fan

30-7 IN Oakland. We smoked them and that game put the Broncos on the map on our way to a 12-2 season and our first Superbowl. First playoff appearance for that matter.

Valar Morghulis
07-10-2014, 12:41 PM
there is no way this gets on the list - but how about TDs tackle in the pre-season against the 49ers (i think) when he nearly snapped a guy in half. I could watch that all day - it was like TD was saying "i am here - and i am awesome"

I too loved DT/Tebow vs the steelers.

Helicopter must take it though

Shazam!
07-10-2014, 06:26 PM
The 98 Super Bowl when Elway connected with Smith on an 80+ TD after Atlanta missed a FG, further embarrassing an already embarrassed Eugene Robinson.

Shazam!
07-10-2014, 06:44 PM
I get goosebumps no matter how many times I see it.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uu3orz7NyT8

Simple Jaded
07-10-2014, 11:43 PM
Tebow on this list would be a joke, he didn't hit the beer vender, whoot whoot!

We're talking John ******* Elway in the first SB win in franchise history, "yeah, that 15-yard Tebow pass has gotta be right up there" :D

OrangeHoof
07-11-2014, 12:47 AM
I know it wouldn't win a popularity contest but one of my favorite Bronco moments was Nov. 17, 1985 when the Broncos and Chargers went to OT. The Chargers drove into FG range and tried to put the winning points on the board when the FG attempt was blocked and a Bronco scooped it up.

But wait! Mike Harden had called time out just before the snap. So the Chargers lined up again for the winning points only to have the FG attempt blocked again and Louis Wright picked it up and took it home. This time, the play stood and the Broncos walked out with a 30-24 victory.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198511170den.htm

You've never experienced such wild emotion swings in such a short time - dread, elation, frustration, dread, celebration. THAT was Mile High Magic.

Thanks to You Tube and NBC, here's Bill McAtee and Sam Rutigliano on the call:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szknfPAn-jE