PDA

View Full Version : Ben Garland blazing military-NFL trail

Denver Native (Carol)
07-07-2014, 05:27 PM
Ben Garland has been where Alejandro Villanueva is now. He knows the odds are against Villanueva making the Philadelphia Eagles' roster after serving four years in the U.S. Army.

While the degree of difficulty is high, transitioning from active duty in the armed forces to playing in the NFL can be done. Garland is proof. His journey from serving in the Air Force to earning a spot on the Denver Broncos' practice squad the past two seasons provides the road map for Villanueva. All Villanueva, who signed with the Eagles as a free agent before last month's draft, needs is time and opportunity.

The Broncos have given the 26-year-old Garland that over the last couple of years. Denver coach John Fox is the son of a former Navy SEAL. He has the utmost respect for the men and women who serve and protect our country.

rest - good stuff - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11095022/denver-broncos-ben-garland-blazes-military-nfl-trail-philadelphia-eagles-alejandro-villanueva-follow

FanInAZ
07-07-2014, 08:11 PM
Mike Anderson did a good job for us at RB after he finished his service with the Marines. :usa2:

Simple Jaded
07-07-2014, 09:55 PM
Mike Anderson did a good job for us at RB after he finished his service with the Marines. :usa2:

It was all that spinach.

Hawgdriver
07-08-2014, 12:16 AM
Besides Hennings and Chad Hall, the NFL turnout of my alma mater is pretty bleak. There was another dude who was a lineman for Seattle a few years back. Not exactly the stuff a recruiter would like when going on the road.

Obviously I hope Garland mops the floor, this would be his year to crack the roster if so.

Ziggy
07-08-2014, 01:22 PM
Garland gets 2 years of eligibility on the practice squad. I'm not sure if last season was his first or second. I know that he was on military leave/duty for a year or two. They must like what they see in him. They've invested at least 3 years in the kid. I'm rooting for him.

BroncoJoe
07-09-2014, 08:28 AM
Garland gets 2 years of eligibility on the practice squad. I'm not sure if last season was his first or second. I know that he was on military leave/duty for a year or two. They must like what they see in him. They've invested at least 3 years in the kid. I'm rooting for him.

Per the article:

While he is eligible for one more season on the Denver practice squad, the hope is he can land a spot on the 53-man roster.

Simple Jaded
07-10-2014, 11:36 PM
Garland said on the radio that he has another year of PS eligibility.