PDA

View Full Version : Our 3rd pick, RT- Schofield, why I would not count on him playing soon.

underrated29
07-01-2014, 05:20 PM
Ok, so the past few nights i have watched a bunch of game of M. Schofield or however he spells it. I have watched every snap of his on most every game I could find. I personally think he is an erik pears. I am not impressed. Here is what I saw:

He really struggles with speed rushers. Really really struggles! He also has a problem with setting his base. When someone bull rushes him he gets pushed back rather far. Now not always, but he does not hold his ground well. He is at his worst when someone transitions from a speed to power or a power to speed. This gets him nearly everytime.

His foot speed seems to be fast enough which is odd. He made one play where he was pulled and man he FLEW out there and made the block. So he seems to have agile feet, just not a solid base. I do not know. I think the man needs to add a ton of weight all below the waist. Id also like to see him drive through his blockers in the run game. He does well at finding them and blocking them, but IMO, a 3rd rdr (not saying there was or was not better RTs there at the end of the 3rd where we picked) should be a guy who punishes when he blocks. I do not see that consistently from him.

But all of this can be taught and weight and strength can be added....So why do I not think he will play anytime soon for us?

He tips his hand as to what he is going to do on EVERY SINGLE PLAY!!! EVERY PLAY!

Now, maybe it is because he is so big and tall he has to do some things with his legs to get leverage or push or whatever, the guy is like 6'8. I do not know, but I know they are taught to make every play look the same...or their stance at least. His does not. I picked up on it and eventually after watching a few of his games I could tell if it was a run, a pass, if he was going to pull inside, if he was going to PAP. I could tell all of this just from his Right leg and where he positioned it. I did not have to look at the formation, the players on the field or anything. If I can pick this up, then you bet the Pros and Coaches are absolutely going to see this. Just like Julius Thomas leans towards where he is running or blocking, our 3rd rd rook puts his right leg in different places and its obvious what he is going to do.

When he drops back in coverage, his leg is behind him a ways. When he is run blocking its close to under his butt. When he is pulling its near the same as his run block but the knee points inside where he is going. When he PAP his foot is half back but he is also more upright.

Sure, this can also be coached out, but I think it all stems from him having trouble with speed rushers, which I "think" may be because of a lack of lower body strength. I do believe his feet are fast enough. that is not the issue. They seem plenty quick to me. But when we add it all together and combine all the movements the speedy guys get passed him. And because of this, I think he has to "cheat" with his leg to get a jump off the snap to his assignment. Which, as I pointed out, tips off the defense as to what he is going and what the play call is.

It is of my opinion, that this is not something that can be corrected in Training Camp and Pre-season and we will not be seeing him this year. I am sure, most of us had the thought that we would not see him this year anyway, which I agree. However, I am not sure that he can fix all of this in one year and beat out Clark, Justice, Painter, etc the following year.
This to me is a blown 3rd rd pick. We seem to struggle with our 3rds and Kayvon webster seems to be the only one who actually warrants that position- to which we still do not know for sure.

So I invite those who do more scouting than I, who know more about these players than I, to have a look and see what they think about my claims. he could eventually be a boss. For me, right now, he is an eric peers type guy.

OrangeHoof
07-01-2014, 09:06 PM
The draft scouting stuff I read pegged him as probably moving to guard (plays better in confined spaces than out on the edge) and probably would be drafted in the 5th or 6th. FWIW.

G_Money
07-02-2014, 01:10 PM
Love your breakdown of your issues with Schofield, UR29. Seriously, love the layout.

I'm with you, I'm not expecting him as a starter this year. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a blown pick, tho. It surprised me at the time, but the guy CAN move and DOES have good feet. He's huge and has a lot of good qualities.

Can we hone him into a terrific starting RT? I dunno. I know Manning makes his linemen all look better anyway so that would help anybody who can work his way into the rotation. Maybe Schofield moves to guard down the line or he gets the technique improvements to make him into a quality RT.

Maybe he does neither and flounders around as a backup for a while. We'll see. I want training camp to get here though so I can take a look at his footwork and his improvement from college. I didn't think Franklin could be a decent RT and he pulled it off. The big guy is more suited to be a monster guard, tho, IMO and I hope to see him kill it there for us.

I think Schofield has better feet than Franklin, even if he lacks Orlando's freakish strength. If he can make the same progress that Orlando did, I'll feel really good about his chances - and we have a very good OL coach.

He has a chance to make this thing work.

silkamilkamonico
07-02-2014, 02:20 PM
Not really sold at all on denvers drafting until i start seeing some of these guys perform and succeed in actual games.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-02-2014, 03:03 PM
Personally, I thought it was pretty funny that some thought a 3rd round pick was gonna come in and do a better job than Franklin.