PDA

View Full Version : Talib Arrested

Shazam!
06-29-2014, 10:15 AM
Aquib Taliban arrested. Wonderful. I hate reading about this crap when it happens to guys on our team.

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/ddpNF?Pro Bowl CB Talib Arrested for Public Intoxication.viable.ac/teamstream-

BroncoJoe
06-29-2014, 10:28 AM
Not condoning what he did - certainly don't like reading this, but for all the things players get arrested for these days, public intoxication is pretty minimal.

Shazam!
06-29-2014, 10:29 AM
Lately, seems like this happens more and more with the Broncos.

BroncoWave
06-29-2014, 10:34 AM
There are conflicting reports now. Cecil Lamney is saying he was NOT arrested.

BroncoWave
06-29-2014, 10:39 AM
PFT saying it was Talib's brother arrested, not Talib.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/29/agent-aqib-talib-was-not-arrested-in-dallas/

Northman
06-29-2014, 10:41 AM
As Joe stated, pretty minimal if he was arrested. It would be quite easy to arrested for public intoxication in just about anywhere.

BORDERLINE
06-29-2014, 10:51 AM
He won't get suspended for this right??

Shazam!
06-29-2014, 11:06 AM
PFT saying it was Talib's brother arrested, not Talib.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/29/agent-aqib-talib-was-not-arrested-in-dallas/

Correct, apparently it was a mistake thank goodness.

wcben
06-29-2014, 11:09 AM
Okay I just went from pretty pissed off to laughing at myself... I should go outside

VonDoom
06-29-2014, 11:09 AM
Good work by the DPD there. Don't let facts get in the way of a breaking story. Move along, nothing to see here

DenBronx
06-29-2014, 11:18 AM
Botched report Lol.

Suck it WTE!!!

Denver Native (Carol)
06-29-2014, 12:01 PM
On Sunday morning, the Dallas Police Department made a big splash on Twitter with the “#BREAKING” news that Broncos cornerback Aqib Talib had been arrested for public intoxication after throwing bottles at a Dallas club.

The only problem? It wasn’t him.

The Dallas Police Department finally has reversed course, admitting what agent Todd France told PFT earlier in the hour — that the man arrested in Yaqub Talib and not Aqib Talib.

“#BREAKING CORRECTION – Yaqub Talib 31yrs old was arrested,” Dallas Police Department Major Max Geron said on Twitter. “My apologies to Aqib Talib. Original information reported was incorrect.”

rest - check out the link - they have a picture of Abbott and Costello wearing old time police uniforms - LOL
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/29/dallas-police-department-retracts-claim-that-aqib-talib-was-arrested/

Timmy!
06-29-2014, 01:18 PM
:lol: good job media.

MOtorboat
06-29-2014, 01:23 PM

#readingcomprehension

Northman
06-29-2014, 01:23 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT8WHcrnqYg

Denver Native (Carol)
06-29-2014, 01:43 PM

Media just reported what the Dallas PD posted on Twitter - this mistake is totally on the DPD, not the media

On Sunday morning, the Dallas Police Department made a big splash on Twitter with the “#BREAKING” news that Broncos cornerback Aqib Talib had been arrested for public intoxication after throwing bottles at a Dallas club.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-was-arrested/

Timmy!
06-29-2014, 02:00 PM
#readingcomprehension

Right on cue. They screwed up and you know it.

Timmy!
06-29-2014, 02:03 PM
Media just reported what the Dallas PD posted on Twitter - this mistake is totally on the DPD, not the media

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-was-arrested/

Cause you know twitter is a rock solid source that is never wrong, wouldn't possibly want to investigate any further.

MOtorboat
06-29-2014, 02:09 PM

Lol...it's always the media's fault...

Timmy!
06-29-2014, 02:16 PM
Lol...it's always the media's fault...

Its always not the media's fault lol. We can do this all day. Obviously the Dallas police were at the root of the issue, but to say the media is blameless is silly. Twitter is clearly not a reliable source, sorry folks. Also why the **** do the Dallas police have a twitter account where they post arrests (and clearly false info)? Let's brag about our arrests on social media! #assclowns

MOtorboat
06-29-2014, 02:21 PM
Its always not the media's fault lol. We can do this all day. Obviously the Dallas police were at the root of the issue, but to say the media is blameless is silly. Twitter is clearly not a reliable source, sorry folks. Also why the **** do the Dallas police have a twitter account where they post arrests (and clearly false info)? Let's brag about our arrests on social media! #assclowns

So, here's a question for you, since the media didn't "verify" the information (according to you), who were they supposed to verify it with? The officials source was the one who told them. Were they just supposed to wait, not say anything? What is your solution, here?

There's a zillion cases where an over zealous reporter goes with something unreliable and it ends up being false. Obviously, that's not the case here, but you blame them anyway. But what does it matter? Even if they aren't at fault, people just blame them anyway. Might as well just keep reporting anything and everything they hear.

Timmy!
06-29-2014, 02:27 PM
So, here's a question for you, since the media didn't "verify" the information (according to you), who were they supposed to verify it with? The officials source was the one who told them. Were they just supposed to wait, not say anything? What is your solution, here?

There's a zillion cases where an over zealous reporter goes with something unreliable and it ends up being false. Obviously, that's not the case here, but you blame them anyway. But what does it matter? Even if they aren't at fault, people just blame them anyway. Might as well just keep reporting anything and everything they hear.

Gee, I don't know, maybe call the guys agent? No need for the crusade Mr. Editor. I'm sorry for picking on the poor abused media.

nevcraw
06-29-2014, 02:49 PM
shouldn't we change this thread to: a Talib was arrested but not the one we care about

Denver Native (Carol)
06-29-2014, 03:16 PM
from article:

Aqib Talib "has assured me it's not him," the football player's agent Todd France told The Denver Post.

"My apologies to Aqib Talib," police spokesman Maj. Max Geron said in a tweet. "Original information reported was incorrect."

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_26057270/broncos-cornerback-aqib-talib-arrested-dallas

FanInAZ
06-29-2014, 05:06 PM
I have to side with our media friends on this 1. DPD used an official PR tool in order to announce this arrest which the media then reported as established fact. The media was just doing their job.

Nevertheless, if you're bound and determined to find fault with the media, the fact that they report any & all misdeeds that anyone with any shred of notoriety has led to PDs across the country to give undue attention to such individuals. Of course, the media does it to cater to the desires of a select audience that eats this stuff up. Therefore, blame the audience.

Northman
06-29-2014, 05:21 PM
Of course, the media does it to cater to the desires of a select audience that eats this stuff up. Therefore, blame the audience.

Unfortunately that line of thinking is the equivalent of blaming a drug addict and not the drug dealer.

Magnificent Seven
06-29-2014, 05:23 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/whoops--dallas-police-erroneously-report-it-arrested-broncos-cb-aqib-talib-164357899.html

Broncos cornerback Aqib Talib must have wondered why the Dallas Police Department announced on Sunday morning that he had been arrested for public intoxication, considering he was at home.

USA Today's Lindsay Jones cleared up the strange tale. Dallas police, which had said Aqib Talib was arrested, told USA Today it was actually Yaqub Talib who was arrested. He's the Broncos' cornerback's older brother.

Here's the sequence of tweets from Maj. Max Geron, who heads up the media relations unit of the Dallas Police Department, starting with the incorrect tweets on Sunday morning announcing Aqib Talib was arrested, and then the correction and apology.

Simple Jaded
06-29-2014, 09:53 PM
Y'all act like Public Intoxicification is so bad.

FanInAZ
06-30-2014, 01:12 AM
Unfortunately that line of thinking is the equivalent of blaming a drug addict and not the drug dealer.

I've been offered drugs before, & chose to "just say no!" If people stopped buying drugs, dealers would stop dealing.

Timmy!
06-30-2014, 02:58 AM
:lol:

sneakers
06-30-2014, 04:30 AM
What a bunch of geese

Shazam!
06-30-2014, 06:46 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/whoops--dallas-police-erroneously-report-it-arrested-broncos-cb-aqib-talib-164357899.html

Broncos cornerback Aqib Talib must have wondered why the Dallas Police Department announced on Sunday morning that he had been arrested for public intoxication, considering he was at home.

USA Today's Lindsay Jones cleared up the strange tale. Dallas police, which had said Aqib Talib was arrested, told USA Today it was actually Yaqub Talib who was arrested. He's the Broncos' cornerback's older brother.

Here's the sequence of tweets from Maj. Max Geron, who heads up the media relations unit of the Dallas Police Department, starting with the incorrect tweets on Sunday morning announcing Aqib Talib was arrested, and then the correction and apology.

They'd be hearing from my legal counsel.

Northman
06-30-2014, 07:17 AM
I've been offered drugs before, & chose to "just say no!" If people stopped buying drugs, dealers would stop dealing.

Apparently you've never been addicted to anything. :lol:

TXBRONC
06-30-2014, 07:34 AM

The media isn't totally to blame but they're not innocent by any stretch.

Zweems56
06-30-2014, 08:20 AM
So, can we like.. update this?

TXBRONC
06-30-2014, 08:52 AM
So, can we like.. update this?

Do you mean like changing the title.

FanInAZ
06-30-2014, 10:12 AM
Apparently you've never been addicted to anything. :lol:

No, but I've several relatives who have. My birth Father ([coke {his addiction to which destroyed our family & my eventual adoption} & meth] goes through stretches where he's clean), my birth mom ([alcohol {her snapping after my dad left & busting up a bar was the final straw that led to my adoption}] years of being clean, sober & making positive contributions in the lives of those around her), an older adoptive & younger birth brothers ([meth] both clean for years), 2 uncles ([alcohol as well as unknowable verity of drug they took when they were living on the streets] both murdered), etc.

So yes, I do have some personal insights into how addictions effect individuals & their loved ones. Bible aside, what alcoholism drugs have done to my family provides me with great incentive to keep saying, "no!"

Northman
06-30-2014, 10:37 AM
No, but I've several relatives who have. My birth Father ([coke {his addiction to which destroyed our family & my eventual adoption} & meth] goes through stretches where he's clean), my birth mom ([alcohol {her snapping after my dad left & busting up a bar was the final straw that led to my adoption}] years of being clean, sober & making positive contributions in the lives of those around her), an older adoptive & younger birth brothers ([meth] both clean for years), 2 uncles ([alcohol as well as unknowable verity of drug they took when they were living on the streets] both murdered), etc.

So yes, I do have some personal insights into how addictions effect individuals & their loved ones. Bible aside, what alcoholism drugs have done to my family provides me with great incentive to keep saying, "no!"

Same here, except addiction isnt something you can just say no to when you are already addicted to something. While personal accountability and choice plays a part to say that a drug dealer or in this case the media has no blame at all is ignorant at best.

OB
06-30-2014, 10:39 AM
They'd be hearing from my legal counsel.

That was my first thought - WTF are they (DPD) thinking??? You dont make breaking news on Twitter like that, first off, second, make sure you got your info right before possibly hurting someone's career.

They (police) are immune to most everything though - you can sue but you wont win

CoachChaz
06-30-2014, 11:04 AM
That was my first thought - WTF are they (DPD) thinking??? You dont make breaking news on Twitter like that, first off, second, make sure you got your info right before possibly hurting someone's career.

They (police) are immune to most everything though - you can sue but you wont win

DPD has always been as corrupt and inept as any police department you want to compare them to. None of this surprises me.

FanInAZ
06-30-2014, 12:28 PM
Same here, except addiction isnt something you can just say no to when you are already addicted to something. While personal accountability and choice plays a part to say that a drug dealer or in this case the media has no blame at all is ignorant at best.

If you go back to my previous response, I've confirmation that at least 3 (my birth mom & 2 brothers) out of 6 relatives mention have done just that.

As far as the other 3:

1) 1st uncle to be murdered: According to a street preacher that knew him at the end, he was well on his way to putting his life back together. In fact, he was volunteering at the mission. A strong case could be made to list him as a 4th relative to turn away from alcohol & drugs.

2) 2nd uncle to be murdered: He not only came back from Vietnam an addict, but also a schizophrenic. The combination of these 2 issue made it extremely difficult for him to overcome. My mom believes that he was putting he may have also been getting his life together, but that based on wanting to make the most out of evidence that any objective observer would recognize as weak. He was murdered by another addict who he had allowed to move in with him for the $2,000 he had after he cashed his VA Disability check. Sure, there could have been positives happening that we have know way of knowing about, but that based on wishful thinking rather than verifiable facts. For that reason, I cannot add him to the list.

3) My birth Father: Right now, he's living with my younger brother (who I previously mentioned as being clean for several years) & his wife. According to all of the reports that my mom & I are getting, things are working out wonderfully. In fact, a strong case could be made for me to add him as the 5th relative to turn away from drug of the 6 who got hook. However, he is my father & he does have a track record. This isn't an issue of my not forgiving him for starting the chain of events that led to my adoption, its him not forgiving himself. This is manifested in the fact that he's kept me at a distance since we were reunited 25 years ago. I fear that this in ability to forgive himself we be a seed for relapse until he can forgive.

So I hope you can see my views are not based on ignorance, but are my most objective observations I'm capable of making of the fact that are staring me right in the face. As much as I hate some of those assessments, I'm resigned to accept them as factual until sufficient evidence is presented to persuade me otherwise.

Northman
06-30-2014, 12:41 PM
If you go back to my previous response, I've confirmation that at least 3 (my birth mom & 2 brothers) out of 6 relatives mention have done just that.

As far as the other 3:

1) 1st uncle to be murdered: According to a street preacher that knew him at the end, he was well on his way to putting his life back together. In fact, he was volunteering at the mission. A strong case could be made to list him as a 4th relative to turn away from alcohol & drugs.

2) 2nd uncle to be murdered: He not only came back from Vietnam an addict, but also a schizophrenic. The combination of these 2 issue made it extremely difficult for him to overcome. My mom believes that he was putting he may have also been getting his life together, but that based on wanting to make the most out of evidence that any objective observer would recognize as weak. He was murdered by another addict who he had allowed to move in with him for the $2,000 he had after he cashed his VA Disability check. Sure, there could have been positives happening that we have know way of knowing about, but that based on wishful thinking rather than verifiable facts. For that reason, I cannot add him to the list.

3) My birth Father: Right now, he's living with my younger brother (who I previously mentioned as being clean for several years) & his wife. According to all of the reports that my mom & I are getting, things are working out wonderfully. In fact, a strong case could be made for me to add him as the 5th relative to turn away from drug of the 6 who got hook. However, he is my father & he does have a track record. This isn't an issue of my not forgiving him for starting the chain of events that led to my adoption, its him not forgiving himself. This is manifested in the fact that he's kept me at a distance since we were reunited 25 years ago. I fear that this in ability to forgive himself we be a seed for relapse until he can forgive.

So I hope you can see my views are not based on ignorance, but are my most objective observations I'm capable of making of the fact that are staring me right in the face. As much as I hate some of those assessments, I'm resigned to accept them as factual until sufficient evidence is presented to persuade me otherwise.

So we agree then that without drug dealers your relatives would have been fine. Glad we cleared that up.

FanInAZ
06-30-2014, 12:52 PM
So we agree then that without drug dealers your relatives would have been fine. Glad we cleared that up.

I'll give you credit for sticking to your guns, time for me to move on.

chazoe60
06-30-2014, 01:01 PM
The question we're all glossing over is this: Who the **** named these people?

Dzone
06-30-2014, 01:48 PM
This Maj Geron is a real idiot...The guy should be suspended
http://milehighsports.com/2014/06/30/the-sports-vultures-are-everywhere/

WTE
06-30-2014, 02:08 PM
The question we're all glossing over is this: Who the **** named these people?

I always thought Aqib Talib was a cool name. It rhymes.

chazoe60
06-30-2014, 02:11 PM
I always thought Aqib Talib was a cool name. It rhymes.

So do dick and lick, doesn't mean I'm naming my child that.

OB
06-30-2014, 02:12 PM
This Maj Geron is a real idiot...The guy should be suspended
http://milehighsports.com/2014/06/30/the-sports-vultures-are-everywhere/

Suspended :laugh: these are people who beat the shit out of people in handcuffs, ON VIDEO, get a paid suspended leave (aka paid vacation) while their own investigate and come back and tell everyone it was justified

WTE
06-30-2014, 02:13 PM
So do dick and lick, doesn't mean I'm naming my child that.

Why is penis the first thing that always pops in your head?

Northman
06-30-2014, 02:50 PM
Lol, WTE said pop.

gregbroncs
06-30-2014, 10:24 PM
They'd be hearing from my legal counsel.Yes. He should be suing the hell out of the police department and probably the media outlet that didn't check the facts.

TXBRONC
06-30-2014, 10:36 PM
from article:

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_26057270/broncos-cornerback-aqib-talib-arrested-dallas

This doesn't absolve the media for being way to quick to get the information out.

TXBRONC
06-30-2014, 10:38 PM
Yes. He should be suing the hell out of the police department and probably the media outlet that didn't check the facts.

I don't think he could win that case.

BroncoJoe
07-01-2014, 07:43 AM
I don't blame the media at all. A tweet was sent out by the Dallas Police Department. What else should they have done? Blames sits solely on the shoulders of the DPD.

TXBRONC
07-01-2014, 01:09 PM
I don't blame the media at all. A tweet was sent out by the Dallas Police Department. What else should they have done? Blames sits solely on the shoulders of the DPD.

They could have vetted it a little more carefully.

OB
07-01-2014, 01:16 PM
So how do you purpose they vet it more carefully - by having someone call DPD and asking? Would they not have gotten the same answer? The ONLY people that knew what was going on was the DPD - how would they find out information from anywhere else when no one else knew what was going on? Even if they called his agent, his agent would have dodged it or said NO and they still would have reported him as being arrested with a sentence thrown in that agent didnt return call or denies allegations.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-01-2014, 01:21 PM
Yeah, I would say the police department should be the most credible source on the subject. :laugh:

chazoe60
07-01-2014, 01:21 PM
IMHO the media's only responsibility in that situation is to make sure the tweet came from an actually DPD twitter account, other than that it's the responsibility of DPD to tweet responsibly.
In other words if the original tweet had come from Dallas Poolice Defartment@twitter and the media still reported it then that's on the media but since, as I understand it, it came from a known DPD twitter account then the media has no culpability in this ****-up whatsoever.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-01-2014, 01:25 PM
Kris-

"Defartment"

:laugh:

chazoe60
07-01-2014, 01:29 PM
Kris-

"Defartment"

:laugh:
You like that? :laugh:

BroncoJoe
07-01-2014, 01:29 PM
They could have vetted it a little more carefully.

Please. Who else would they contact? It was the Dallas Police Department. You're just being ridiculous now.

MOtorboat
07-01-2014, 02:05 PM
Please. Who else would they contact? It was the Dallas Police Department. You're just being ridiculous now.

The media did. Florio immediately called his agent and his agent didn't initially know. Since it's the DPD you report it. Simple as that.

artie_dale
07-01-2014, 02:07 PM
There a way the title in this thread can be changed to say "is false" or something. Or delete it since it is false? Only reason I ask is what if Talib DOES get arrested (lord I hope he doesn't). Then it'll be like the boy who cried wolf.

BroncoJoe
07-01-2014, 02:09 PM
There a way the title in this thread can be changed to say "is false" or something. Or delete it since it is false? Only reason I ask is what if Talib DOES get arrested (lord I hope he doesn't). Then it'll be like the boy who cried wolf.

How about "Talib's Brother Arrested"

chazoe60
07-01-2014, 02:13 PM
Kabob Talib arrested

TXBRONC
07-01-2014, 09:18 PM
So how do you purpose they vet it more carefully - by having someone call DPD and asking? Would they not have gotten the same answer? The ONLY people that knew what was going on was the DPD - how would they find out information from anywhere else when no one else knew what was going on? Even if they called his agent, his agent would have dodged it or said NO and they still would have reported him as being arrested with a sentence thrown in that agent didnt return call or denies allegations.

How do you know they wouldn't have gotten different answer by calling DPD?

olathebroncofan
07-01-2014, 10:12 PM
The best way to fix this for all parties involved, including the op and the title of this thread is for Aqib Talib to fly down to Dallas and get arrested doing something stupid yet minor. Then that gives us fans something to talk about.

OB
07-02-2014, 09:17 AM
How do you know they wouldn't have gotten different answer by calling DPD?

How do you know they didnt call DPD and still got the wrong answer

Northman
07-02-2014, 10:18 AM

Probably verified it. While its irresponsible for the DPD's part in it the media can share the blame as well since its something that can ruin someone's life or lead to defamation cases if the information is wrong. Im actually surprised there wasnt any verification done it personally.

Northman
07-02-2014, 10:19 AM
So how do you purpose they vet it more carefully - by having someone call DPD and asking?

Yes.

Its how you verify sources. Its how responsible journalism and reporting works.

MOtorboat
07-02-2014, 10:54 AM

When you get information from the head of the information department, it's fully verified. There is no reason, or shouldn't be, to have to "verify" it with someone else. He should have his shit together.

BroncoJoe
07-02-2014, 11:30 AM
Yep - afterall, it was probably the media that got the DPD to make the correction and apologize. I just can't see blaming them in the least bit. It's a cutthroat business and you have to get a story out - especially when the source is the one the information is coming from and who you'd verify with!

Northman
07-02-2014, 11:52 AM
I say **** them all.

Nomad
07-02-2014, 12:59 PM
So nothing to see here?:lol:

I never understood why drunks throw bottles, it only brings attention to them:lol:

TXBRONC
07-02-2014, 01:04 PM

I asked my question first. :D

FanInAZ
07-02-2014, 04:28 PM
When you get information from the head of the information department, it's fully verified. There is no reason, or shouldn't be, to have to "verify" it with someone else. He should have his shit together.

That's ridiculous MO! Next your going to tell me that Coach Fox is the most reliable source of info on Denver's starting lineup. We all know that anything he says has to be confirmed by HotCarl.

BroncoJoe
07-11-2014, 08:49 AM
Broncos cornerback Aqib Talib told the Boston Herald that he has no ill-will towards the Dallas police when they reported on Twitter that they had arrested him even though it was his brother.

“No, definitely not,” Talib said when asked if he is usually mistaken for his brother or vice versa. “That doesn’t happen too much. But that’s some hard-working guys in Dallas. They were just doing their job and they made a mistake, an honest mistake, man. It happens sometimes, man.”

There was a report that Talib might sue the Dallas PD, but it looks like he decided not to after cooling down.

Closed my tab, and lost the link...