PDA

View Full Version : Overrated/Underrated

spikerman
06-28-2014, 12:20 PM
Today on the Sirius NFL Channel they were having a discussion about who the most overrated and most underrated players on each team were. I didn't get to hear much of the show so I don't know if the Broncos were discussed. I'm curious as to who the fan base thinks are the most overrated and underrated players on the roster.

I was giving it some thought and I'm having a tough time coming up with them. If this was last year's team I had three candidates for overrated: Eric Decker, Zane Beadles, and (flame away) Champ Bailey.

On this year's team I think for overrated I would have to say, Von Miller. Don't get me wrong, he's a fantastic player and everybody is expecting a dynamic duo in the pass rush, but nobody knows how he's going to respond after the knee surgery. I think he will have a good year, but I choose him for a lack of anybody else jumping out at me. I also think it won't be until next year before Von is completely "Von" again.

As for underrated, I'm going to say, Danny Trevathan, but he's becoming less and less underrated every day.

chazoe60
06-28-2014, 12:35 PM
Overrated- Rahm Moore
Underrated- I've got a couple. Kevin Vickerson and Mitch Unrein.

wcben
06-28-2014, 01:35 PM
Underrated: Chris Harris (pro bowl snub) I'd agree with Danny too though. Chris is a top 10 NFL man coverage cb.

Underrated: Montee Ball, dude is a beast. Runs strong like TD. Doesn't he own the record for most touchdowns ever run in by a college athlete? (77)

underrated29
06-28-2014, 02:28 PM
Overrated: Derek Wolfe
Underrated: MONEY BALL and Virgil Greene

Ravage!!!
06-28-2014, 02:30 PM
Overrated- Rahm Moore
Underrated- I've got a couple. Kevin Vickerson and Mitch Unrein.

Man.. I would have taken BETS that you would have listed Moore!

chazoe60
06-28-2014, 02:33 PM
Man.. I would have taken BETS that you would have listed Moore!

Well, he is overrated.

Ravage!!!
06-28-2014, 02:55 PM
Last year's team:

Over rated: Knowshon Moreno, Champ Bailey (although, not highly rated when sitting on bench), Wesley Woodyard
Under rated: Eric Decker, Orlando Franklin

This year's team:

Over rated: Wes Welker, Aqib Talib
Under rated: Ronnie Hillman, Sylvester Williams, Quanterus Smith, Colquit

Shazam!
06-28-2014, 03:42 PM
Last year's team:

Over rated: Knowshon Moreno, Champ Bailey (although, not highly rated when sitting on bench), Wesley Woodyard

This year's team:

I disagree with Moreno, not counting his injury. He was a great go-to option for Peyton out of the backfield and an excellent blocker, like a FB.

spikerman
06-28-2014, 04:15 PM
I thought about Moore, but he has such a suspect reputation already among Broncos' fans that I ruled him out.

Valar Morghulis
06-28-2014, 04:34 PM
Last Year - Over Rated - Von Miller, Champ Bailey and Welker (waiting for the flack) also anyone who thought Quenton Jammer was anything other than atrocious wildly over rated him

Underrated - Mitch Unrien, Eric Decker, (had we not signed Sanders (which was the steal of the off season in my eyes) Decker's absence would have been missed)

This Year - not sure about over or underated - but i expect big years from Virgil Green and CJ Anderson (Money Ball is a given) but think that if they make the cut Tamme and Dressen will see less and less field time and Green and Thomas dominate the TE position with Robinson also stepping up to the plate.

More than anything i hope the Von Ware combo is better than i hope.

CoachChaz
06-28-2014, 04:51 PM
Last year's team:

This year's team:

Smith has done nothing at all, Colquitt under performs, Williams played sparingly as a rookie and Hillman fumbles a lot and runs soft.

Just curious as to what any of these guys have done so far to deserve being rated any more than they currently are? It usually helps your rating when you have proven yourself a little.

Slick
06-28-2014, 05:27 PM
Yeah, the Q Smith was a head scratcher for me too.

I'm not sure I can attribute anything to this thread. I'm still too disappointed about how the Superbowl went. I still think Denver has a great team with more talent than last year and I expect them to make another strong run for the Lombardi if we can stay healthier next season.

My biggest worry is if Ball were to miss time. I'm not as confident as some are here about our second and third string RBs.

Softskull
06-28-2014, 05:39 PM
Smith has done nothing at all, Colquitt under performs, Williams played sparingly as a rookie and Hillman fumbles a lot and runs soft.

Just curious as to what any of these guys have done so far to deserve being rated any more than they currently are? It usually helps your rating when you have proven yourself a little.

I agree with Rav on his under rated. I think all four of those guys are off the radar and have the chance to surprise this year.

Slick
06-28-2014, 05:57 PM
Hope you guys are right about Smith. If he turns into something the Denver pass rush should be lethal. A far cry from the days when you could count to 7 Mississippi before a Denver d lineman got in a QB's face.

CrazyHorse
06-28-2014, 06:47 PM
Underrated: Chris Clark - Played well in place of Clady.
Overrated: Duke Ihenacho - Overhyped for a guy that misses tackles.

Underrated - Montee Ball - He should be able to replicate Moreno's success.
Overrated - Briton Colquitt - Overpaid for his performance.

OrangeHoof
06-28-2014, 07:01 PM
I won't mention guys who aren't here anymore.

Underrated: Harris, Vasquez and Travathan
Overrated; (hope I'm wrong) Aqib Talib and Bradley Roby.

wcben
06-28-2014, 07:55 PM
Sly Williams Underrated?? Are we sure he's not a 1st rd bust??

I like the Virgil mention, I too think he can be in the Aaron Hernandez H back role. But with less murdering.

Valar Morghulis
06-28-2014, 07:59 PM
But with less murdering.

Maybe just a little bit less

broncohead
06-28-2014, 11:54 PM
Under: Malik Jackson, Harris, Franklin

Over: Welker- I think he'll be a contributor but have a less productive season.
Martinez

Simple Jaded
06-29-2014, 01:07 AM
Under, Orlando Franklin.

Over, T.J Ward (chickenshit).

tomjonesrocks
06-29-2014, 08:49 AM
The aforementioned Rahim Moore is a walk off home run for overrated--but Wolfe is a great pick also.

Underrated is hard since fans tend to hype up role players--but I'll say Sanders. I think he will have a career year. Last year I'd have gone with Adams.

Interesting to see so many votes for Ball. I hope he's as good as some of you think--he's right now (to me) a disappointing pick when Lacy was there.

Shazam!
06-29-2014, 09:01 AM
Under, Orlando Franklin.

See Super Bowl.

Northman
06-29-2014, 09:17 AM
Little bit difficult to rate anyone this year because we just havent seen them play yet, so ill stick to last years squad. There were definitely some players that i agreed with listed by Ravage and Dave.

Overrated: Knowshon Moreno (outside of last year he was pretty average and underachieved), Champ Bailey (definitely lost a step and wasnt worth keeping), Wes Welker (not as impactful as i hoped he would be), Omar Bolden (too much hype from fans with nothing in return), Andre Caldwell (outside of a couple of nice catches dont get the hype at all),

Underrated: Eric Decker (not given nearly the credit he should have while here), Duke Ihenacho (had some fubar moments but was also solid at times and is still young), Danny Treviathan (Screwed up the INT TD but outside of that the dude was ballin hard), Montee Ball (great start to his career, runs hard and was a great spell for Moreno last year),

nevcraw
06-29-2014, 02:45 PM
Lat year: over: Jack Del Rio, Paris Lenon, WR's (baby poop soft a lot of games), Ball, Hillman, Irving.
under: knowshon (because he was a bust until the end of previous year and then blew it up last year), Tamme, Ramirez, vickerson,

this year: under: Wolfe, Franklin, Vickerson
over: Roby, Ball (got to prove it), Prater, Q. Smith

broncohead
06-29-2014, 05:26 PM
I don't understand putting Moore as overrated. It implies he has a high regard in the first place.

wcben
06-29-2014, 07:20 PM
Nevcraw: how could you possibly say Prater is overrated when he holds the record for longest field goal?

The strength of his leg surely cannot be overrated..

chazoe60
06-29-2014, 08:16 PM
I don't understand putting Moore as overrated. It implies he has a high regard in the first place.
If you went by what is posted on this MB you'd think he was one of the best young safeties in 5 he league.

broncohead
06-29-2014, 09:30 PM
If you went by what is posted on this MB you'd think he was one of the best young safeties in 5 he league.

I'm not sure what MB is. I like Moore. I think he's a starter in this league. He doesn't wow by any means but doesn't make consistent mistakes. We can't have HOF/Pro bowl players at every position. All i was saying is most people that I have talked to dislike Moore and wish was had a different FS. So he isn't overrated.

Shazam!
06-29-2014, 09:33 PM

I'm not sure what MB is...

Message Board.

spikerman
06-29-2014, 09:44 PM
This is the beauty of this topic and kudos to the NFL channel for coming up with it. We all watched the same players play the same games and came away with a lot of different opinions.

MOtorboat
06-29-2014, 09:49 PM

Lol. Really?

I don't really know who's "overrated" and "underrated." That pretty subjective with so many varying criteria it's hard to establish any sort of baseline. Is Manning overrated? Is the third-string linebacker underrated?

Kind of depends on what ratings you're going by. To me, they are all who they are.

Simple Jaded
06-29-2014, 09:56 PM
See Super Bowl.

Saw it.

Shazam!
06-29-2014, 11:10 PM
See Super Bowl.

Saw it.

Then you would've saw him getting slaughtered to the point it was a spotlight. That's why I disagree, and would say he is Overrated. Granted though, he's more of a natural Guard.

Jsteve01
06-29-2014, 11:53 PM
Overrated: Derek Wolfe
Underrated: MONEY BALL and Virgil Greene. Ok exactly how is Wolfe overrated. he played more snaps than anyone else on the.d line as a rookie in a new position and just for giggles compare his rookie stats to watt. Last year he looked like Shit while battling neurological issues and life threatening fatigue. You're better than this ur

Jsteve01
06-29-2014, 11:58 PM
Ad loved norths list

underrated29
06-30-2014, 12:00 AM
. Ok exactly how is Wolfe overrated. he played more snaps than anyone else on the.d line as a rookie in a new position and just for giggles compare his rookie stats to watt. Last year he looked like Shit while battling neurological issues and life threatening fatigue. You're better than this ur

I like wolfey a lot. It he also has really high praises from a lot of the fan base. I was ex static when we drafted him, but he is not all that great especially after his spine thing. I also do not not not not not like him at de....but that's not his fault that's on del rio and the coaches. I like him a lot at DT tho. Still, if he has more than 4-5 sacks I'll be pleasantly surprised.

I'm curious as to why some think roby is overrated.

Jsteve01
06-30-2014, 12:03 AM
Under: Wolfe,

Over: as much ad I hate to say it. At this point it may be tj ward. There is a very good reason that the browns dumped him for whitner and it happens to be that he is avg at best in coverage. I like his fire, but in a pass happy league ill take a cover safety over a thumper all day long

Simple Jaded
06-30-2014, 01:20 AM
Then you would've saw him getting slaughtered to the point it was a spotlight. That's why I disagree, and would say he is Overrated. Granted though, he's more of a natural Guard.

I'm stating who I think will be underrated in '14, however, the mere fact that one game absolutely solidifies your opinion of his '13 performance lends itself to his being Underrated last year too.

Jsteve01
06-30-2014, 07:01 AM

I'm stating who I think will be underrated in '14, however, the mere fact that one game absolutely solidifies your opinion of his '13 performance lends itself to his being Underrated last year too.and even factoring in the super bowll he graded out as the best RT in football last year according to pff

TXBRONC
06-30-2014, 07:40 AM
Today on the Sirius NFL Channel they were having a discussion about who the most overrated and most underrated players on each team were. I didn't get to hear much of the show so I don't know if the Broncos were discussed. I'm curious as to who the fan base thinks are the most overrated and underrated players on the roster.

I was giving it some thought and I'm having a tough time coming up with them. If this was last year's team I had three candidates for overrated: Eric Decker, Zane Beadles, and (flame away) Champ Bailey.

On this year's team I think for overrated I would have to say, Von Miller. Don't get me wrong, he's a fantastic player and everybody is expecting a dynamic duo in the pass rush, but nobody knows how he's going to respond after the knee surgery. I think he will have a good year, but I choose him for a lack of anybody else jumping out at me. I also think it won't be until next year before Von is completely "Von" again.

As for underrated, I'm going to say, Danny Trevathan, but he's becoming less and less underrated every day.

Chris Harris might be considered underrated.

Moreno might be considered overrated.

TXBRONC
06-30-2014, 07:48 AM
Sly Williams Underrated?? Are we sure he's not a 1st rd bust??

I like the Virgil mention, I too think he can be in the Aaron Hernandez H back role. But with less murdering.

It too soon to call him a bust? He was expected to be starter but when he had to because of Vickerson's injury he played well.

BroncoNut
06-30-2014, 08:06 AM
as far as I'm concerned, until we win a superbowl, all these clowns are overrated

Valar Morghulis
06-30-2014, 10:00 AM
as far as I'm concerned, until we win a superbowl, all these clowns are overrated

Yeah bunch of ass clowns

artie_dale
06-30-2014, 12:42 PM
2013 Overrated = Oline, Eric Decker, Von Miller, Entire Defense against NE

2013 Underrated = Peyton Manning, Andre Caldwell, John Elway

Northman
06-30-2014, 12:48 PM
Over: as much ad I hate to say it. At this point it may be tj ward. There is a very good reason that the browns dumped him for whitner and it happens to be that he is avg at best in coverage. I like his fire, but in a pass happy league ill take a cover safety over a thumper all day long

Based on what though? We have yet to even him play for the Broncos yet.

artie_dale
06-30-2014, 01:07 PM
Based on what though? We have yet to even him play for the Broncos yet.

Which is why I don't see how any of us can say anyone on this roster is overrated or underrated.

BroncoNut
06-30-2014, 01:55 PM
2013 Overrated = Oline, Eric Decker, Von Miller, Entire Defense against NE

2013 Underrated = Peyton Manning, Andre Caldwell, John Elway

interesting group of underrateds. I'm sure Andre would be quite pleased however.

Valar Morghulis
06-30-2014, 01:57 PM
interesting group of underrateds. I'm sure Andre would be quite pleased however.

I think it is a great compliment for PFM and JFE to be compared with Andre

BroncoNut
06-30-2014, 01:58 PM
I think it is a great compliment for PFM and JFE to be compared with Andre

alright Dave, now that is really inappropriate

artie_dale
06-30-2014, 02:04 PM

I put Peyton there because even after all the individual accomplishments he's achieved, the one that relies on an entire Football team to achieve is what overshadows it all.

Andre Caldwell = Well, I think Wes Welker lived up to expectations, so did D. Thomas (Julius Thomas was a pleasant surprise and exceeded expectations), and I think Decker kind of over achieved (my personal opinion), but when Andre Caldwell was relied on, he came through and came through huge a couple times. But, then again, that could have been just what Peyton Manning does.

John Elway = I know we all love and adore him (most of us) so considering the attention he gets for what he does and has done, I don't think he gets enough credit compared to other dudes in the same position. He gets the attention because he's John Elway, but I'm not so sure he gets the kudos.

Valar Morghulis
06-30-2014, 02:07 PM
alright Dave, now that is really inappropriate

LOL you are correct - perhaps that post should be reported to a mod?

nevcraw
06-30-2014, 08:22 PM
Nevcraw: how could you possibly say Prater is overrated when he holds the record for longest field goal?

The strength of his leg surely cannot be overrated..

his leg is mighty strong in mile high! he can't do touch backs at sea level and he should have iced the icy game in NE. he is not asked to win a lot with PFM scoring 30+ a game.. I love having him on this team but he more overrated than under.

Canmore
07-01-2014, 03:29 AM
I like wolfey a lot. It he also has really high praises from a lot of the fan base. I was ex static when we drafted him, but he is not all that great especially after his spine thing. I also do not not not not not like him at de....but that's not his fault that's on del rio and the coaches. I like him a lot at DT tho. Still, if he has more than 4-5 sacks I'll be pleasantly surprised.

I'm curious as to why some think roby is overrated.

Me too. He was taken in the first round and that brings high expectations, but he hasn't laced up a pad.

Canmore
07-01-2014, 03:33 AM
I put Peyton there because even after all the individual accomplishments he's achieved, the one that relies on an entire Football team to achieve is what overshadows it all.

Andre Caldwell = Well, I think Wes Welker lived up to expectations, so did D. Thomas (Julius Thomas was a pleasant surprise and exceeded expectations), and I think Decker kind of over achieved (my personal opinion), but when Andre Caldwell was relied on, he came through and came through huge a couple times. But, then again, that could have been just what Peyton Manning does.

John Elway = I know we all love and adore him (most of us) so considering the attention he gets for what he does and has done, I don't think he gets enough credit compared to other dudes in the same position. He gets the attention because he's John Elway, but I'm not so sure he gets the kudos.

Boy is that true. Just remember the mess he inherited.

Canmore
07-01-2014, 03:35 AM
his leg is mighty strong in mile high! he can't do touch backs at sea level and he should have iced the icy game in NE. he is not asked to win a lot with PFM scoring 30+ a game.. I love having him on this team but he more overrated than under.

75% from 50 or greater. He's a slime ball, but not overrated.

Ravage!!!
07-03-2014, 04:53 PM

Right, which is why all four of those players have a low rating, right? I look down the roster and everyone pretty much knows what everyone is at this point. Peyton can't be over rated, as he's SOO highly rated. Moore couldn't be any lower in ratings after the 2013 season.

Which brings me to the players I mentioned. To be honest, I was just looking for "low rated" players that could end up having a bigger impact than most would give them credit (right now) for possibly giving. I think Smith was a steal in the draft. Add in the fact that he could be a rotational player that has both DJ and Ware, with his potential and skill set... I think he's underrated as a guy that will make an impact to our defense this season.

You said "colquit underperforms." Isn't that the REASON he's "under rated?" :confused: I mean, since we are all trying to play 'future teller' here, I'm thinking (believing) that Colquit will be good for us this season. COnsidering he's made the list of "over rated" by several posters, it would seem that the guess that he could be "under rated" is right on.

Then there is Ronnie Hillman. It's almost to the point of being ridiculous on how much shit Ronnie gets. It's to be compared to the amount of crap that chaz gives Moore! So I would say that he has a pretty damn low rating. He has a 'decent' season in providing what he is meant to provide, and its pretty quickly determined that he was under rated by most of the fans here. I don't think he is NEARLY.. NOT NEARLY... as bad as most of the posters around here like to drag on him. So my guess is that he has a decent year, provides a good outlet for Manning is a good 3rd down RB out of the backfield.

Sylvester Williams. Again... your "he played sparingly as a rookie"...really means diddly squat to the question. Because he played sparingly seems to imply a low "expectations" of his upcoming season. To me, I believe Sylvester could have a surprisingly GOOD season, and thus, be a pretty under rated player at this point.

TXBRONC
07-03-2014, 06:50 PM
Right, which is why all four of those players have a low rating, right? I look down the roster and everyone pretty much knows what everyone is at this point. Peyton can't be over rated, as he's SOO highly rated. Moore couldn't be any lower in ratings after the 2013 season.

Which brings me to the players I mentioned. To be honest, I was just looking for "low rated" players that could end up having a bigger impact than most would give them credit (right now) for possibly giving. I think Smith was a steal in the draft. Add in the fact that he could be a rotational player that has both DJ and Ware, with his potential and skill set... I think he's underrated as a guy that will make an impact to our defense this season.

You said "colquit underperforms." Isn't that the REASON he's "under rated?" :confused: I mean, since we are all trying to play 'future teller' here, I'm thinking (believing) that Colquit will be good for us this season. COnsidering he's made the list of "over rated" by several posters, it would seem that the guess that he could be "under rated" is right on.

Then there is Ronnie Hillman. It's almost to the point of being ridiculous on how much shit Ronnie gets. It's to be compared to the amount of crap that chaz gives Moore! So I would say that he has a pretty damn low rating. He has a 'decent' season in providing what he is meant to provide, and its pretty quickly determined that he was under rated by most of the fans here. I don't think he is NEARLY.. NOT NEARLY... as bad as most of the posters around here like to drag on him. So my guess is that he has a decent year, provides a good outlet for Manning is a good 3rd down RB out of the backfield.

Sylvester Williams. Again... your "he played sparingly as a rookie"...really means diddly squat to the question. Because he played sparingly seems to imply a low "expectations" of his upcoming season. To me, I believe Sylvester could have a surprisingly GOOD season, and thus, be a pretty under rated player at this point.

Rav, it's about details and those ignore them should be ignored or so I've been told. The "Williams played sparingly" shows a lack of those details. Williams rotated in with Vickerson and Knighton. He played in all but three games last season with about five game starts because Vickerson end up on I.R. after week 11 (I think).