PDA

View Full Version : Which Sport is the "Floppiest?"

FanInAZ
06-16-2014, 07:57 PM
With the possible exception of hockey & baseball, you'll see players flopping from time to time in order to get calls they don't deserve. I couldn't find the video on YouTube, but wasn't it Geno Smith who did what was probably last NFL season's most laughable flop when he pretended he got hit in the head by a DL who jumped over the line prematurely? It might have been more believable if his reaction was so delayed. When I started watching football in the late 70's punters were taught to flop anytime someone came anywhere near them. The NFL put a stop to that by passing a rule that made it a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for trying that.

As far as the 2 sports that I think are in the running for being the "floppiest," that would be basketball & soccer. In terms of quantity, I think its to close to call. In terms of percentage of flops that are so obvious that you don't need replay, I think its basketball hands down. In terms of who goes to the greatest lengths to sell their flops, its soccer hands down. Seriously, I watched the Cote D' Ivoire vs. Japan & the 2nd half of USA vs. Ghana. I swear that there's at least a half a dozen time per game in which players were so dramatic that you'd think that they broke their leg, shin, ankle, etc.; only for them to get up after a few second & run off without any limp what so ever. I've never seen anything like this in any sport I've ever watched.

CoachChaz
06-16-2014, 08:13 PM
Happens in all sports with maybe the exception of baseball, but there isn't any physical contact between players in that sport.

Soccer, basketball and hockey top the list. Football is getting there. Can't remember the last time I saw and incompletion with a defender within 3 yards and the receiver isn't looking for a flag...or a pass rusher looking for a holding call.

FanInAZ
06-16-2014, 08:18 PM
Can't remember the last time I saw and incompletion with a defender within 3 yards and the receiver isn't looking for a flag...or a pass rusher looking for a holding call.

I consider that more whining than flopping. For me, flopping is when someone barely touches you, are comes close to touching you, & you...

a) ...fall down like you just got clobbered.

b) ...roll around on the ground like you need a stretcher.

Slick
06-16-2014, 08:23 PM
You might have done better to just come out and say international football is full of flopping wussies. It's pretty easy to see your point.

It's one of the things that can turn you off to the game. I don't like it either. Some teams are worse than others. Especially in a World Cup.

FanInAZ
06-16-2014, 08:29 PM
You might have done better to just come out and say international football is full of flopping wussies. It's pretty easy to see your point.

It's one of the things that can turn you off to the game. I don't like it either. Some teams are worse than others. Especially in a World Cup.

Actually, I think that a strong case can be made for basketball by some measures. I'm honestly open the people making a case that another sport could be worst.

P.S. I'm a fan of Team USA, no matter the sport.

Slick
06-16-2014, 08:51 PM
It's definitely the worst, and by a large margin. I can't watch the Italian league because of it. Those high def replays expose a lot of players as pure frauds looking for a call. In my most humblest of opinions, of course.

MOtorboat
06-16-2014, 08:54 PM
It's definitely the worst, and by a large margin. I can't watch the Italian league because of it. Those high def replays expose a lot of players as pure frauds looking for a call. In my most humblest of opinions, of course.

I see your Serie A and raise you a Manu Ginobili.

Slick
06-16-2014, 08:58 PM
I see your Serie A and raise you a Manu Ginobili.

Lol! Touche.

aberdien
06-16-2014, 08:58 PM
Soccer easily, but in spite of how annoying it is, you get over it because you realize that it is a universally used strategy by all teams and all players.

But sometimes when you get up quickly and don't act injured things like Switzerland's game winning goal VS Ecuador yesterday happen.

Buff
06-16-2014, 09:04 PM
On the topic of diving in soccer - I find it annoying how easily guys go down in the box on the attack trying to draw a penalty. Instead of using their strength to power through a little contact, some guys will go down instantly as if they've been trained to hit the deck with any contact.

I think all the major sports have their fair share of flopping, sans baseball.

MOtorboat
06-16-2014, 09:06 PM
On the topic of diving in soccer - I find it annoying how easily guys go down in the box on the attack trying to draw a penalty. Instead of using their strength to power through a little contact, some guys will go down instantly as if they've been trained to hit the deck with any contact.

Hey now. Baseball has fake fights, stepping into it and "the unwritten rules."

It's just a different type of gamesmanship.

I will say about soccer flopping...if NFL running backs went down that easy they'd outlaw running the ball.

CoachChaz
06-16-2014, 09:36 PM

I think what most don't realize is its easy to get "tapped" when running full speed and lose your balance. Especially when you weigh 120 pounds.

Dzone
06-16-2014, 09:42 PM
The worst flop of all time was when Favre flopped for Strahan.

OrangeHoof
06-16-2014, 09:55 PM
I normally don't defend soccer players but I will say this. The official who makes the call in soccer may be a few acres away so you have to overdramatize the foul for the official to even see that something occured. In basketball, the ref is usually *right there* except on breakaways and they still flop all over the place.

The problem with flopping is - it works. The officials of all sports call what they think they saw, not what really happened so when you can make your body fly to the ground at an odd angle, the mind thinks *something* must have happened to cause that reaction so they assume a foul was committed. Just look at how many "helmet-to-helmet" calls are made now when replay shows clearly the player led with their shoulder or hit them in the upper chest. NFL receivers are learning to flop just like NBA players.

FanInAZ
06-16-2014, 10:26 PM
I normally don't defend soccer players but I will say this. The official who makes the call in soccer may be a few acres away so you have to overdramatize the foul for the official to even see that something occured.

I'll buy that explanation, to a point.

In basketball, the ref is usually *right there* except on breakaways and they still flop all over the place.

The problem with flopping is - it works.

I’m not so sure that it works out as well in the long run as advertised. For every time that someone gets a tricky-tack foul by over acting, how often does someone not get the call at all after being mugged? It’s the old adage of crying wolf all the time. If you do it too often, people start ignoring you.

Just look at how many "helmet-to-helmet" calls are made now when replay shows clearly the player led with their shoulder or hit them in the upper chest. NFL receivers are learning to flop just like NBA players.

Your right about the refs often get those calls wrong, but I don't think those receivers are flopping. If you get hit as hard as they do, whether with a legal or not, your going down.

OrangeHoof
06-17-2014, 09:48 AM
Your right about the refs often get those calls wrong, but I don't think those receivers are flopping. If you get hit as hard as they do, whether with a legal or not, your going down.

Sorry, I kind of mixed up two thoughts. Receivers don't flop as much as they pretend their feet got tangled or the defender arrived too early. I don't think they "flop" the helmet-to-helmet stuff but it was an example of officials seeing what they thought they saw based on the player reaction and not reality.

Receivers who constantly beg for flags are annoying.

BroncoNut
06-17-2014, 11:09 AM
looks like you got some nice dialogue here AzFan, I say basketball, but haven't watched a lot of the soccer since lately. seemed like some of the penalties called were pretty soft.

Dzone
06-17-2014, 12:08 PM
Ive never watched soccer. Have no idea what is happening. I just know they cant play rough at all so theres bound to be a lot of acting going on. "Owww! He hurt me!!!" lol

BroncoNut
06-17-2014, 12:29 PM
Ive never watched soccer. Have no idea what is happening. I just know they cant play rough at all so theres bound to be a lot of acting going on. "Owww! He hurt me!!!" lol

that's what it looked like to me DZone. some of what I would call incidental contact was being called. but then again, I believe defenders should use hands if necessary. that's just how I roll

Valar Morghulis
06-17-2014, 02:27 PM
high jump

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-17-2014, 05:28 PM
high jump

thread over

FanInAZ
06-17-2014, 06:49 PM
high jump

:confused:

Dzone
06-17-2014, 09:09 PM
high jump
Yes Dave! Absolutely the high jump! I get what youre saying. Dick Fosbury's flop was of legendary proportions. Changed his sport forever. The Fosbury Flop became part of the international lexicon. Nobody does the side straddle hop anymore. Everybody floppin now. Dick Fosbury-Legendary flopper. GFOAT