PDA

View Full Version : Vickerson's Recovery a Test of Patience

Denver Native (Carol)
06-11-2014, 02:20 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Two days after the Broncos' season ended with a Super Bowl XLVIII defeat, defensive tackle Kevin Vickerson said he "should be ready" for organized team activities.

But with an injury as significant as the dislocated hip he suffered at New England on Nov. 24 of last year, expectation doesn't always meet reality. Vickerson has been relegated to the sideline, and is now operating under a new timetable: pushing toward training camp and to be ready for the Week 1 game with the Indianapolis Colts.

"I hope so," Vickerson said.

He cleared a significant hurdle last Friday, when he said he passed "the sports test" during an examination at Steadman-Hawkins Clinic in Vail, clearing him to move around in athletic drills. The next step will be rehabilitating himself back into football shape.

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Vickersons-Recovery-a-Test-of-Patience/e5201242-1893-4e10-9b27-93097e245d18

G_Money
06-11-2014, 04:18 PM
He's SUCH a big man to have that injury. Skinny Rod Smith lost the end of his career to a similar thing, but he could fit into one of Vickerson's pant legs.

I don't have a lot of faith in Big Vick coming back from a dislocated hip as a 350 pound man, but as long as he keeps clearing health hurdles and exams I'm happy to see him try. We're better off with Vickerson next to Knighton.

NightTerror218
06-11-2014, 09:05 PM
He's SUCH a big man to have that injury. Skinny Rod Smith lost the end of his career to a similar thing, but he could fit into one of Vickerson's pant legs.

I don't have a lot of faith in Big Vick coming back from a dislocated hip as a 350 pound man, but as long as he keeps clearing health hurdles and exams I'm happy to see him try. We're better off with Vickerson next to Knighton.

Better off with Vick? Maybe for now but with sly and malik coming on strong in his absence not much of a drop off with two guys with higher ceilings imo

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-11-2014, 09:36 PM
Our run D dropped off when he went down. I hope he comes back to form.

G_Money
06-11-2014, 10:59 PM
Better off with Vick? Maybe for now but with sly and malik coming on strong in his absence not much of a drop off with two guys with higher ceilings imo

Now is what I care about. Sly and Malik are growing and I'm happy for that (I like both dudes), but next year I want the best damn DL we can put together, and a healthy Vickerson would be a part of such a line.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-12-2014, 10:20 AM
Comparing Vick with Sly and Malik is comparing apples and oranges. Malik and Sly are penetrators. Vick is a space eating run stuffer. We need the space eating run stuffer.

Cugel
06-12-2014, 11:42 AM
Vickerson was playing great when he went down, and the defense suffered a lot up the middle with him gone. He and Pot-Roast were next to impossible to run on when they were playing together. You need that beef up front, especially since the Broncos are seriously lacking an every-down elite MLB. Having Vick in there makes a big difference to the overall defense.

Good to have him back! :beer:

TXBRONC
06-14-2014, 09:16 PM

Isn't this the same injury that ended Bo Jackson's career as well?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-14-2014, 09:20 PM
Isn't this the same injury that ended Bo Jackson's career as well?

It ruined Bo because it wasn't diagnosed for a couple weeks or so. He tried to play through it, so it started to calcify in his hip. If it was properly diagnosed in the beginning he would have been fine.