PDA

View Full Version : Mini camp notes

VonDoom
06-10-2014, 03:42 PM
Via Twitter.

Andrew Mason:

Lerentee McCray is being tested in coverage on tight ends today. Went against Julius Thomas & drew a flag from one of the refs on hand.

No. 2 & 3 DLs have done a good job bringing pressure today. Rookie Kenny Anunike has been a pleasant surprise forcing Osweiler from pocket.

Ronnie Hillman looks exceptionally quick and decisive today. But, as we know, it's a practice "in underwear," in the parlance of John Fox.

Rough day so far for Brock Osweiler. One pick-six of him by Omar Bolden, one dropped potential INT by Tony Carter.

Scary moment, complete w/ gasps, as B.Roby & E.Sanders collide. Sanders got the worst of it but popped up, caught a pass 3 plays later.

Post-practice sights: Manning and Sanders working on routes; top picks Roby & Latimer working on 1-on-1 play at the snap.

Manning, on the Roby/Sanders collision: "I think it was busted coverage."

DeMarcus Ware says that when you get to minicamp, you get to the "steak and potatoes" of preparing for a season.

Ware says that he and Von Miller hope to combine for as many sacks as one entire team amasses.

Cecil Lammey:

Zac Dysert #Broncos showing good zip (no surprise) and accuracy (surprise) on passes within 12 yards of the LOS today

Dysert being deliberate with his motion, slows down his release. Accuracy off deep, like his footwork better this year #Broncos

Brock Osweiler is lighter on his feet today #Broncos but several passes off the mark

Gerell Robinson making some nice grabs away from his frame #Broncos sleeper TE

Zac Dysert looks better than Brock Osweiler today

I like Dysert's aggression as a passer today, normally a check down guy, but today he's being bold

Dysert showing good chemistry with UDFA Bennie Fowler #Broncos - has a dash of Anquan Boldin to his game

Watching Ryan Clady vs DeMarcus Ware makes the football fan inside me smile. #Broncos Ware showing there's plenty left in the tank

Roby hanging with DT on some routes. Good job rook!

Roby's speed so evident. He can stay in WRs back pocket downfield. Roby can also burst quickly to the play in front of him

Brennan Clay is a stud in space. Not a pile pusher, but get him the ball as a receiver & he can score any time he touches the ball

Osweiler looking better running no-huddle. Not thinking/aiming too much, just slinging it. Best he's looked over L3W

If #Broncos want dangerous change of pace back, then find a spot for Brennan Clay on final roster.

Former Draftguys TV alum Jordan Norwood looking good with Osweiler. Been a long time since that Tx vs Nation game! #Broncos

Dysert overthrows Burse--bad. That's the old Dysert. Shows good touch on next pass. Is this the new & improved Dysert?#Broncos

tl;dr version - Oz looked bad, Ware looked good, Lammey is high on Brennan Clay, Roby is fast.

CoachChaz
06-10-2014, 03:50 PM
Was never excessively impressed by Clay at OU. He was always the type of guy to take advantage of what the defense gave him, but never really seemed to create his own yards. IDK...hope he pans out. SHouldnt be too hard to replace Hillman.

GEM
06-10-2014, 04:26 PM
I would love to see the Ware/ Clady matchup!! :D

G_Money
06-10-2014, 04:27 PM
Clay just runs into people and falls down with pads on. He never even seemed all that fast on the field in gear. He does look good in shorts, but so does Hillman - we don't play in shorts.

If Clay can actually do things in pads with people attempting to tackle him, then I'll start to take note. I've never really seen him do that - but I'd love to have ONE scatback who can actually change pace and be dangerous with a football in his hands.

~G

Denver Native (Carol)
06-10-2014, 04:59 PM
Peyton Manning checked down. Moved the running back into the right spot. Yelled "Omaha! Omaha!" and a few pitter-patter steps later delivered a strike to Demaryius Thomas.

Tuesday, all seemed right with the Broncos world as he floated a touchdown to the left to Thomas as practice resumed at Dove Valley. Denver ran through drills crisply, with Manning leading the way.

The Broncos' offense featured their tentative starting lineup up front with Orlando Franklin at left guard and Chris Clark getting reps at right tackle. Those positions remain under discussion, and likely won't be settled until the players work in full pads.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25935469/peyton-manning-runs-broncos-through-quick-paces-practice

broncohead
06-10-2014, 06:22 PM
Nice. My gf dated Clay in high school haha

Denver Native (Carol)
06-11-2014, 03:04 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Tuesday's practice marked the beginning of "Phase 4" of the offseason program. It also was the first of the only three sessions that are mandatory, although attendance has been at nearly 100 percent for the previous two voluntary practices that were open to media.

It looked different; as defensive end DeMarcus Ware said, this is where "you really get into the steak and potatoes of everything." And as was evident in the final period of the practice, it felt different.

1. You're going to have collisions, even without pads, and even with limited contact. But when Bradley Roby and Emmanuel Sanders had contact late in practice as Sanders ran a route, the sound and force was so great that an audible "ooooh" and gasps arose from the sideline and the media gathered at one end of the field.

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/First-Minicamp-Practice-Takeaways/0364e285-4ff3-45e7-86e4-6ada4518204c

G_Money
06-11-2014, 04:28 PM
Loved this bit:

...offseason pickup Marvin Austin could be the one who shuffles the deck. Talent has never been Austin's problem; injuries have. He looks fast coming off the snap and helped set up the defensive ends to collapse the pocket. We'll know more when full pads go on during training camp, but on Tuesday, Austin looked like he could flourish.

I'd love to see Austin be healthy and productive for us. We just need one of him and Vick to come through, right?

~G

Denver Native (Carol)
06-11-2014, 09:54 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- It's probably a good thing for the Broncos that the biggest news of their second day of minicamp regarded practices that are over two months away.

When the Houston Texans arrive for three days of practices in August, they will provide a test for the shuffled offensive line. At that point, the line will have about two and a half quarters' worth of game time on its ledger. Every snap will help.

But perhaps no one will benefit more than Orlando Franklin, who should see more than a handful of snaps against J.J. Watt. The Texans like to adjust Watt's alignment to create advantageous matchups, and the flexibility should be enhanced by the arrival of No. 1 pick Jadeveon Clowney on the edge. The seasoned Louis Vasquez should see plenty of Watt, as well, but for Franklin, the week should offer a chance to evaluate his progress.

rest - other players mentioned, plus Del Rio video
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Second-Minicamp-Practice-Takeaways/5fccf28e-7f43-4919-bb80-1dc4fa873412

TXBRONC
06-19-2014, 12:38 PM
rest - other players mentioned, plus Del Rio video
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Second-Minicamp-Practice-Takeaways/5fccf28e-7f43-4919-bb80-1dc4fa873412

It will be interesting. I would expect Watt will ultimately get better of the match up with Franklin and Vasquez because Watt is that good. However if Franklin and Vasquez get a draw out of the match up that's really good sign for our interior line.