PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' Peyton Manning a performing wonder at age 38

Denver Native (Carol)
06-01-2014, 12:21 PM
As every athlete who ever lived can attest, Father Time never surrenders. In fact, this relentless character never has been beaten.

Michael Jordan, Babe Ruth, Muhammad Ali and John Elway (the quarterback) all were defeated. Even Brett Favre retired once and for all.

But in Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning, Father Time seems as confused as defensive coordinators who are trying to read the quarterback's tendencies. Yes, nature had its moments. Four neck surgeries were factors in Manning missing the 2011 season. A significant percentage of arm strength is gone.

Yet, at 38, an age when Father Time has delivered his share of knockout blows to even the greatest of passers, Manning has become a better quarterback.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25874098/broncos-peyton-manning-performing-wonder-at-age-38

Dzone
06-01-2014, 03:11 PM
Wow. Great article. Reminds me a lot of the article about Troy Tulowitski in this weeks sports illustrated. Same level of commitment and self discipline.We are so fortunate to have two of the best and most dedicated athletes in all of sports here in colorado

tomjonesrocks
06-01-2014, 05:00 PM
I hope Manning's career with Denver is remembered as something more than Montana's stint with KC was. It deserves to be, but 10 years from now, will it?

MOtorboat
06-01-2014, 06:27 PM
I hope Manning's career with Denver is remembered as something more than Montana's stint with KC was. It deserves to be, but 10 years from now, will it?

He's already eclipsed that. By far.

Shazam!
06-01-2014, 09:19 PM

Winning the Super Bowl w/Denver would make him the GOAT.

tomjonesrocks
06-01-2014, 11:04 PM
He's already eclipsed that. By far.

"Star Wars" numbers aside, Manning has been better but not by as much as people might think. And probably not by enough that a general sports fan would take notice.

Montana's 93 is basically the equivalent of Manning's first year. Tough AFCCG loss in bitter cold.

From last season, will people remember the records, or the SB ass-reaming?

If this is as far as Manning goes with Denver, fast-forward a decade and this is all surprisingly and sadly forgettable stuff IMO...

MOtorboat
06-02-2014, 12:07 AM
"Star Wars" numbers aside, Manning has been better but not by as much as people might think. And probably not by enough that a general sports fan would take notice.

Montana's 93 is basically the equivalent of Manning's first year. Tough AFCCG loss in bitter cold.

If this is as far as Manning goes with Denver, fast-forward a decade and this is all surprisingly and sadly forgettable stuff IMO...

And then Montana failed to do anything after his first year. Manning not only beat that in his second year he smashed it and set NFL and franchise records galore. Montana didn't even remotely come close to that.

I'll remember what a hell if a season it was and the records he set. You, apparently don't want to. That's your problem, not mine.

Simple Jaded
06-02-2014, 12:18 AM
After the garbage the Denver Broncos have had at the position for the most part since Elway's retirement it boggles the mind that Peyton Manning has to do more than already he has to be more than "forgettable". Meanwhile, all the previous QB's had to do to gain God status was make a ProBowl or play well for 2:00 a game vs prevent defense.

You are literally witnessing greatness.

VonDoom
06-02-2014, 09:20 AM
After the garbage the Denver Broncos have had at the position for the most part since Elway's retirement it boggles the mind that Peyton Manning has to do more than already he has to be more than "forgettable". Meanwhile, all the previous QB's had to do to gain God status was make a ProBowl or play well for 2:00 a game vs prevent defense.

You are literally witnessing greatness.

I think this is pretty spot on, especially that last bit. Maybe we're spoiled already, but it is going to be a rude awakening when Manning hangs it up. He's made this team so much better in the last two years just by being here, it's hard to fathom sometimes.

LawDog
06-02-2014, 11:52 AM

Remind us again of the year off that Montana had with a potentially career-ending injury and the way in which he was cut by the 49ers because of it and then his incredible rehab with the Chiefs... oh wait, nevermind.

To compare the two situations is pretty much ridiculous.

The level of success that Peyton has already had here will be long remembered, even if he never gets back to, or wins, another SB.

tomjonesrocks
06-02-2014, 12:08 PM
I'm not disagreeing that Manning has been superior and accomplished more. Just unsure it will really be remembered all that differently long-term.

jhns
06-02-2014, 04:56 PM
I'm not disagreeing that Manning has been superior and accomplished more. Just unsure it will really be remembered all that differently long-term.

It will be much different. Last seasons offense is the O everyone will compare all good offenses to until one breaks all of those records. That alone will make people remember it differently than anything Montana did.