PDA

View Full Version : Gase: Broncos No. 2 tailback job 'wide open'

LTC Pain
05-30-2014, 07:55 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/288558/gase-broncos-no-2-tailback-job-wide-open

TXBRONC
05-30-2014, 08:52 AM
It's more than likely going to come down to Anderson and Hillman.

Dzone
05-30-2014, 09:02 AM
I like the CSU kid, Cecil Sapp

Valar Morghulis
05-30-2014, 09:07 AM
I think CJ Anderson is a lock for this job.

It is the third spot that i think might be up for grabs.

(i am making this judgement based on the little i seen of CJ last year - and also acknowledge i have never seen Bibbs play)

Cugel
05-30-2014, 11:40 AM
Broncos OC Adam Gase reiterated at OTAs that he sees Denver's No. 2 tailback job as "wide open."
Montee Ball is entrenched as the top back, with Ronnie Hillman, C.J. Anderson, and UDFAs Kapri Bibbs and Brennan Clay competing for scraps. "Everybody behind Montee is competing for the second spot," Gase said. "Whoever wants to step up and take that spot, that's what we're looking for." Anderson is the best bet, but Hillman has enough talent to keep the battle going deep into camp.

Obviously, the Broncos want Hillman to succeed. They keep giving him chances. Whether he can regain Peyton Manning's trust is another matter. His problem is that he's slight and doesn't move the pile, and he fumbles at hideously inopportune moments.

The rookies problems are that they are rookies and will have to learn the offense at the same time as mature as players so that they are reliable blockers, because the #1 job of all Denver's RBs is to NOT let blitzers get a free shot on Peyton Manning. If some DE throws your RB like a rag doll or jumps right over him and doesn't even slow down, and crushes Manning, that will get that RB benched faster than anything.

Cugel
05-30-2014, 11:44 AM
That said, I'm rooting for Capri Bibbs to learn the plays and make the transition to the 53 man roster. Looking at his tape the one thing I loved about him is how he anticipates contact and always wraps up the ball with 2 hands. In play after play you see him with perfect form, protecting the football and running hard between the tackles. I'm not even a CSU alumni, but I like this kid and wish him much success! :beer:

Northman
05-30-2014, 11:46 AM
Personally, im hoping Thompson lands a spot.

G_Money
05-30-2014, 12:01 PM
I'm just waiting for Cugel to spell Kapri Bibbs correctly one time this offseason.

Hawgdriver
05-30-2014, 12:03 PM
I'm just waiting for Cugel to spell Kapri Bibbs correctly one time this offseason.

I'm just waiting for Cugel to correctly one time this offseason.

G_Money
05-30-2014, 12:07 PM
I do like Thompson's all-around game though, North. I dunno that either Hillman or Bibbs can handle the pass protection aspects of the job as well, and Thompson has special teams skills. If Kapri starts busting some plays, though, he'll be hard to ignore. He breaks more tackles than Hillman and is faster, but Ronnie obviously has more experience in the offense.

The #1 back is Ball, #2 should be CJ, but you never know how the chart is gonna fall. Hillman and Bibbs seem to be competing for the same spot IMO. Thompson occupies a different role of useful-swiss-army-knife and emergency backup. They might be able to stash Thompson on the PS, but it depends how much we need him on special teams.

Running back is a fun competition this year - I'm glad Gase has stated all the backup spots are up for grabs. I hope the undrafted kids learn quickly.

~G

Cugel
05-30-2014, 12:17 PM

Like I said, I'm not a CSU fan and I didn't know that much about him before the draft. I just saw his highlights and was impressed. He looks like a good prospect. I'll remember to use a "K" though. :beer:

G_Money
05-30-2014, 12:49 PM
It'll be hard not to call him Capri Sun, I know. Kapri's got a lot of talent tho, I agree with you there. I hope he's smart enough to pick up the protections and audibles in order to make himself useful in this offense.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-30-2014, 01:20 PM
I think both Bibbs and the kid from Duke are going to really push the competition. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see the kid from Duke getting 10-15 reps a game by the 3rd or 4th game.

TXBRONC
05-30-2014, 02:04 PM

The letter 'C' is his favorite letter of the alphabet. :D